Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Flower King/ Spock's Beard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: what do you guys think of these overrated band?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
13 [19.12%]
12 [17.65%]
36 [52.94%]
7 [10.29%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 10:18
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

I like both bands very much. Not overrated in the least.

E

Agreed.  I prefer Spock's Beard's general output though.
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 10:47
I don't either; both bore me and I don't see anything particularly original in them. Spock's Beard is the better of the two if I had to pick.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Spacemac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 14:23
They both essencials to any prog fan
chessman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 15:53

Spock's Beard are actually very good. I have one album, 'The Kindness Of Strangers' which I find enjoyable, if a little predictable, and I've heard various tracks off other albums. I prefer their earlier work overall.

However, TFK are the masters! My second favourite band of all time, (just behind Genesis) and yes, I was a prog fan in the seventies. TFK have taken up the prog banner and carried it higher than ever before. Strong on melody, composition, musicianship, I love this band. Yes, their albums are very long, but I am one who enjoys pretty much all of it. I have yet to hear a bad album, or even a bad track from them, although I have, of course, got my favourites.

I feel privileged that this band is carrying on the prog tradition in the 'classic' style whilst ignoring the dictates of the record companies. Well done, Roine and co! ClapStarBig%20smile
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 00:00
Originally posted by chessman chessman wrote:

Spock's Beard are actually very good. I have one album, 'The Kindness Of Strangers' which I find enjoyable, if a little predictable, and I've heard various tracks off other albums. I prefer their earlier work overall.

However, TFK are the masters! My second favourite band of all time, (just behind Genesis) and yes, I was a prog fan in the seventies. TFK have taken up the prog banner and carried it higher than ever before. Strong on melody, composition, musicianship, I love this band. Yes, their albums are very long, but I am one who enjoys pretty much all of it. I have yet to hear a bad album, or even a bad track from them, although I have, of course, got my favourites.

I feel privileged that this band is carrying on the prog tradition in the 'classic' style whilst ignoring the dictates of the record companies. Well done, Roine and co! ClapStarBig%20smile

ClapStarClapStarClap well said Mr. Chess!!!  Let me quote you just so everybody has twice the chance to read your post! Big%20smile

Edited by The T - June 14 2007 at 00:02
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 01:11
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

ClapStarClapStarClap well said Mr. Chess!!!  Let me quote you just so everybody has twice the chance to read your post! Big%20smile
They say the third time is the charm!  Hear, hear for SB and TFK!
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 02:18
Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

Spock's Beard: They have become just a simple rock band.

Look at what Genesis have become ... Wink

BTW: I don't think that what Spock's Beard do on their 2006 album can hardly be described as "simple" ... maybe from a Gentle Giant point of view, but not if compare it to the output of other bands which are more generally referred to as "simple rock".
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 03:26
The Flower Kings: Fantastic Big%20smileClap
Spock's Beard: Good, but pretty meh Smile
BiGi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 03:27
Well, I like them both
But both have the same problem: they can go from wonderful and entertaining themes to boring, pointless and packed with "deja entendu" ones in a blink of an eye!

Some examples.

Spock's beard
Thoughts I & II, Time has come, Harm's Way, Flow, The Distance to the Sun, At The End of the Day, Revelation, Wind at my back, 2nd Overture/4th Of July/I'm The Guy, Ghosts of Autumn, A Flash Before My Eyes, Skeletons At The Feast

Spock's beard
Go the way you go, The Healing Colors Of Sound, The Great Nothing, the many fillers and the overall length of Snow, then again From The Messenger and Sometimes They Stay, Sometimes They Go

The Flower Kings
The flower king, The sounds of violence, World Of Adventure, In The Eyes Of The World, Circus Brimstone, Compassion, Kingdom Of Lies, Stardust We Are, Deaf Numb And Blind, I am the Sun I & II, Chicken Farmer Song, Underdog, A Kings Prayer, Last Minute On Earth, Sword of God, The Truth Will Set You Free, Genie In A Bottle, Babylon, A Vampires View, Days Gone By, Adam & Eve, Hit Me With A Hit, Pioneers Of Aviation, Bavarian Skies, Paradox Hotel

The Flower Kings
Hudson River Sirens Call 1998, Rumble Fish Twist, Christianopel, The Devils Danceschool, Too Late For Tomatoes, Timelines, The Unorthodox Dancinglesson...but apart from these undigestible appalling exercises in self-indulgence, the real downside of TFK is that their huge discography is overfilled with way too many anonymous filler tracks...albums like Retropolis, Unfold the Future, Flower Power and Paradox Hotel contain many songs which are far from bad or annoying, but have absolutely no appeal either!

P.S.: about Spock's Beard, their productions have no way worsened since Neal Morse left. Instead, this has allowed the composing talents of the other members (especially the noteworthy Dave Meros) come to the fore! Neal Morse is a great composer and an outstandingly gifted performer, but this undoubtedly implies that his shadow is so big that the others' contributions cannot help being put in the background...
A flower?

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 04:46
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

Spock's Beard: They have become just a simple rock band.

Look at what Genesis have become ... Wink

BTW: I don't think that what Spock's Beard do on their 2006 album can hardly be described as "simple" ... maybe from a Gentle Giant point of view, but not if compare it to the output of other bands which are more generally referred to as "simple rock".
I haven't heard their eponymouse 2006 album - I lost patience after Feel Euphoria and Octane and just gave up - there are far better ways of spending my CD buying budget.

What?
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 04:55
^ Even Octane isn't Simple Rock ... but of course I understand your point.
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 05:01

This thread is a classic example of someone using the word 'overrated' as a substitute for 'I don't like them', which is obviously what is really meant here, imho...

Anyway, I do prefer Spock's Beard overall. I really love 'The Kindness Of Strangers'- one of my fave prog albums of the 90s- and in truth, I don't think they have recorded a bad album yet. However, I don't like the albums since Neal Morse left as much- there are too many straight ahead rockers ('Is This Love', ''Sometimes They Stay...', 'As Long As We Ride'). But even on those, their way with a good melody is intact.

Flower Kings are less consistent, imho. My favourites though are 'Stardust We Are' and 'Space Revolver' which I think were only a hair's breadth away from me giving them 5 stars. I struggle with some of their output ('Unfold The Future', 'The Rainmaker' and 'Adam And Eve', specifically) due to the 'noodling' which imho is there to pad out songs. But overrated? Not a bit of it, imho- there are still many fine albums in their catalogue.

BiGi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 05:06
Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

This thread is a classic example of someone using the word 'overrated' as a substitute for 'I don't like them', which is obviously what is really meant here, imho...

Anyway, I do prefer Spock's Beard overall. I really love 'The Kindness Of Strangers'- one of my fave prog albums of the 90s- and in truth, I don't think they have recorded a bad album yet. However, I don't like the albums since Neal Morse left as much- there are too many straight ahead rockers ('Is This Love', ''Sometimes They Stay...', 'As Long As We Ride'). But even on those, their way with a good melody is intact.

Flower Kings are less consistent, imho. My favourites though are 'Stardust We Are' and 'Space Revolver' which I think were only a hair's breadth away from me giving them 5 stars. I struggle with some of their output ('Unfold The Future', 'The Rainmaker' and 'Adam And Eve', specifically) due to the 'noodling' which imho is there to pad out songs. But overrated? Not a bit of it, imho- there are still many fine albums in their catalogue.

Apart from not liking the post-Neal Morse albums, I agree word by word with you.
As a matter of fact I really can't understand how can it be that Unfold the future is ranking #1 among TFK's albums, according to Progarchives collaborators! To me it is one of their most anonymous outputs ever!
Adam & Eve was promising, but unfortunately they have returned to diluted works with Paradox Hotel (which is anyway far better than UTF, IMHO)
A flower?

salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 05:10
^Well, in fairness, I do still have the post-Neal albums and do play them- they are good but (for me) not quite as good as the earlier ones.

'Unfold The Future' I struggle with, to be honest. I would never say it was their worst album (that's 'The Rainmaker' for me- a rather weak affair to my ears) but I'm surprised it is regarded as their best here. I am loathe to use the word 'overrated', but I'll just say I don't really grasp it. As a single disc album, it would have been great, as a double, less so, imho. I feel some songs are there as padding (not a problem I have with 'Stardust...' or even 'Paradox Hotel').
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 05:14
Originally posted by prog4evr prog4evr wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

They say the third time is the charm!  Hear, hear for SB and TFK!

Is a fourth time over egging the pudding?Embarrassed
lmollea View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 05:23

Flower Kings are less consistent, imho. My favourites though are 'Stardust We Are' and 'Space Revolver' which I think were only a hair's breadth away from me giving them 5 stars. I struggle with some of their output ('Unfold The Future', 'The Rainmaker' and 'Adam And Eve', specifically) due to the 'noodling' which imho is there to pad out songs. But overrated? Not a bit of it, imho- there are still many fine albums in their catalogue.

I quote here also what you say. I like Spock's Beard more than TFK. For me TFK are worth until The Rainmaker, after that album they tend to repeat themselves and fill their works with too much anonymous tracks.

Spock's Beard lost something after Neal Morse left, but I still find Octane and Spock's Beard worthy albums (less valuable than the works with Neal Morse), but nonetheless superior to the latest TFK works (Unfold The Future, for example, from which I don't remember a single note).
Semm che, semm che settą giņ in del bar / a cercą l'universo nel bucčer del Cynar
cosmonauti al tavolino cun la sigareta in błca / che vemm a cambią el mund apena finissum la sambuca
lmollea View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 05:25

^Well, in fairness, I do still have the post-Neal albums and do play them- they are good but (for me) not quite as good as the earlier ones.

'Unfold The Future' I struggle with, to be honest. I would never say it was their worst album (that's 'The Rainmaker' for me- a rather weak affair to my ears) but I'm surprised it is regarded as their best here. I am loathe to use the word 'overrated', but I'll just say I don't really grasp it. As a single disc album, it would have been great, as a double, less so, imho. I feel some songs are there as padding (not a problem I have with 'Stardust...' or even 'Paradox Hotel').

salmacis, you got the point. TFK tend to release TOO MANY double albums...
Semm che, semm che settą giņ in del bar / a cercą l'universo nel bucčer del Cynar
cosmonauti al tavolino cun la sigareta in błca / che vemm a cambią el mund apena finissum la sambuca
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 05:28
^Yeah, I'd say that too. It feels terribly churlish me saying this but I think Roine is too prolific, period!LOL However, lots of people seem to like everything he's done.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 05:38
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ Even Octane isn't Simple Rock ... but of course I understand your point.

The phrase "simple rock" isn't mine, I copied from the original Poll-Questions (which darksideof has changed since I postedAngry) to show that I needed to be able to vote twice to answer the original question (which he has also changedAngryAngry).

I don't think that they are "simple rock", but I don't think that Octane is progressive either it is more like AOR. Stern%20Smile
What?
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 05:41
Yeah I certainly felt the AOR quotient went up after Neal left (possibly most of all on 'Octane' but that's my fave of those albums, anyway) but imho, there was always an AOR influence on SB's work. Some say there is on TFK's work but I don't really hear that, to be honest...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>