Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPlease Self-Release Me, Let Me Go

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MaxerJ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 05:22
okay i have done a massive tl;dr and I am just responding to Dean's OP. I'd just like to give the example of Rain's album Cerulean Blue. Rain has self-released this album, and yet not only is it one of the best of 2009, but it sounds the best. It sounds completely professional, even more so than many actual professional albums of the year.
Godspeed, You Bolero Enthusiasts
'Prog is all about leaving home...' - Moshkito
Nakatira View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 06:50
Originally posted by MaxerJ MaxerJ wrote:

okay i have done a massive tl;dr and I am just responding to Dean's OP. I'd just like to give the example of Rain's album Cerulean Blue. Rain has self-released this album, and yet not only is it one of the best of 2009, but it sounds the best. It sounds completely professional, even more so than many actual professional albums of the year.

Not dissagreeing with you:

But I think Dean was reffering to the massive number of poor productions out there, productions that would never see the light of day in the Record company days.
I too know for a fact that there are damn good self released albums out there that dont lack anything, I'm certain Dean will agree, but those allbums are very few compared to all the crap out there.

Having a friend who actually collects "Failed" recordings (records, I've heard a few:)

Speaking about my own experience as a Self releasing artist.
I dident have big expectations for my record to sell anything special, my main goal was to make music that I myself like, and If I was lucky someone else would like it too, But I took my time with it when mixing and producing it and used all the channels that I knew about, for an example (Mixing forums, lots of great hints on the way, when your an amateur.
I finally decided that I wanted some profesionalisme on the end process on the record and hired Pink Floyd's engineer (from 83) to do the Mastering, wich IMO maid all the difference, and I got various friends online that had experience with artwork to help me with the layout finish.
Using the Floyd reference (though small) actually gain quite the publicity and I think thats the key to get noticed you need something to make you visible (add's, networking, contests, giggin and so on)

But most important IMO is listening to other people, get ideas and feedback.
http://daccord-music.com/home.cfm
stefolof View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 06:54
>

Edited by stefolof - August 26 2015 at 05:00
Nakatira View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 07:08
Originally posted by stefolof stefolof wrote:

Originally posted by Nakatira Nakatira wrote:

I finally decided that I wanted some profesionalisme on the end process on the record and hired Pink Floyd's engineer (from 83) to do the Mastering, wich IMO maid all the difference, and I got various friends online that had experience with artwork to help me with the layout finish.

Are you talking about Andy Jackson? He did the the mastering for our latest album as well! LOL

Yup.Clap

were you satisfied with the result?, it sure made wonders on our stuff.

stefolof View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 07:37
>

Edited by stefolof - August 26 2015 at 05:00
Nakatira View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 07:56

Are you talking about Andy Jackson? He did the the mastering for our latest album as well! LOL

Yup.Clap

were you satisfied with the result?, it sure made wonders on our stuff.

Yes, it definitely added a dimension to the music and unified the sound over the different songs. He was very easy to work with as well.

I just had a quick listen to your stuff, wich was cool btw.
Sounded very good to me.
cool webpage as well, do you play live?
stefolof View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 08:59
>

Edited by stefolof - August 26 2015 at 04:59
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 13:18
well, that's great too Smile

Nakatira View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2010 at 16:49

I just had a quick listen to your stuff, wich was cool btw.
Sounded very good to me.
cool webpage as well, do you play live?

Thanks a lot. Smile  I checked out yours as well. Were the two songs on Reverbnation mastered by Andy? Sounds great anyhow!

I have no footage of our newest constellation, however here's a video of the previous constellation playing jazz-rock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAW3rXLVvGM

About 70% same members. LOL

Cool stuffClap, Yeah mixed the two tunes on reverb nation.
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2010 at 13:08

Fresh news: just posted in 'free downloads' thread:

The Enid is offering their almost-entire discography as a free download.

At first sight, it seems fishy why a major prog act active for 30+ years is doing such thing. Things get clearer when you visit their website (it's  www.theenid.co.uk , not .com ) - The Enid are 'at war' with their label. It seems label violated some contractual obligations, or got a bit of a too hefty appetite, anyway, legal proceedings are at large.

A new policy, a strategical shift, just a revenge?

In light of our moder Internet era, is that (assuming background is real) just a label's greed, or a desperate struggle to survive at end of the Label's Era? Such things are just speeding up the avalanche. A food for thoughts...

Of course, there were legal battles between artists and labels many times before, but it was not possible for artists to magically snap their fingers (read: mouse-click) and make their entire discographies available along with new issues of newspapers in an instant, all around the globe, figuratively speaking.

jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2010 at 13:41
Also, Warner has just released a statement that it will not ever support free streaming of any of its music. Had Shadow Circus signed to even a very small indie, ultimately all paths go through Warner at some point for distribution, and it wouldn't be possible for us to stream the CD for free on our website, which has been one of the best promotional tools we have ever had.
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2010 at 14:08
Now, if we could only get you guys to play for Jay Leno or Oprah Winfrey...  ;-)
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2010 at 14:10
Record labels are a dying breed, as far as I am concerned. If I would ever find myself in such a fortunate position as being asked to sign (which by the way, I won't), I wouldn't be completely opposed to joining an indie label one day if they would play fair, but it seems more and more even the tiny guys are getting forced into the pompous attitude by their higher-ups. Shame.

Edited by JLocke - February 11 2010 at 14:11
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2010 at 14:10
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

Now, if we could only get you guys to play for Jay Leno or Oprah Winfrey...  ;-)

Smile I would have no objections to that at all! But, meanwhile, we'll happily play for the opening of an envelope! LOL
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2010 at 14:15
Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

Record labels are a dying breed, as far as I am concerned. If I would ever find myself in such a fortunate position as being asked to sign (which by the way, I won't), I wouldn't be completely opposed to joining an indie label one day if they would play fair, but it seems more and more even the tiny guys are getting forced into the pompous attitude by their higher-ups. Shame.

I do think it makes sense in some cases for a first release to be on an indie, just to learn the ropes and see who all the distributors, dj's and reviewers are - but being a member of a site like this, you're already tapping into a huge resource....
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2010 at 14:29
Originally posted by jplanet jplanet wrote:

I do think it makes sense in some cases for a first release to be on an indie, just to learn the ropes and see who all the distributors, dj's and reviewers are - but being a member of a site like this, you're already tapping into a huge resource....

Indeed. it seems to me that the greedier the big businesses become, the more free we artists will ultimately be. Sooner or later it's all going to come falling down like a house of cards unless these labels learn to accept that their days of running the show are quickly coming to an end.

. . . or perhaps I'm just fooling myself and being a bit too optimistic about the biz. LOL
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2010 at 15:24
The house of cards is already lying at our feet!

What has really changed is that music is now a commodity of the people - just as it always was before big corporations became the gatekeepers. For a short time, labels were able to create mega-superstars, by having control over radio, production, and distribution. None of us heard any music unless the big labels decided we heard it. Remember, it was only a short time ago that albums cost tens of thousands of dollars just to record. Now, you and I can make recordings at home for beans, distribute them worldwide instantly, and get interest from niche dj's without depending on payola.

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2010 at 16:19
You know what I want?

A good old fashioned patron.  Approve

Oh wait...Ermm
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2010 at 16:51
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

You know what I want?

A good old fashioned patron.  Approve

Oh wait...Ermm
LOL
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2010 at 16:58

Indeed. it seems to me that the greedier the big businesses become, the more free we artists will ultimately be. Sooner or later it's all going to come falling down like a house of cards unless these labels learn to accept that their days of running the show are quickly coming to an end.

. . . or perhaps I'm just fooling myself and being a bit too optimistic about the biz. LOL
Then that's even more reason for self released artists to release the best they can possibly and practically do. Stern Smile

Originally posted by jplanet jplanet wrote:

The house of cards is already lying at our feet!

What has really changed is that music is now a commodity of the people - just as it always was before big corporations became the gatekeepers. For a short time, labels were able to create mega-superstars, by having control over radio, production, and distribution. None of us heard any music unless the big labels decided we heard it. Remember, it was only a short time ago that albums cost tens of thousands of dollars just to record. Now, you and I can make recordings at home for beans, distribute them worldwide instantly, and get interest from niche dj's without depending on payola.

If the labels crumble (or have begun to crumble) then the power will be in the hands of the consumer, not the self-release artist, so rather than freeing the artist they are going to be even more constrained and restricted, not now by what sells best, but by what buys best.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>