16 [50.00%]
16 [50.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 02:05
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

This guys also talks me of 50 incredible  features that I don't understand or care about, he has reached the point where he has a PC in his living room, attached to the TV, I believe the guy is crazy.

Same here ... I like the setup, and it's very affordable, too:

- 40" LCD TV: 900 EUR
- Computer with DVD/blu-ray drive, TV receiver and software: 1000 EUR
- Logitech 5.1 system: 90 EUR
- Studio grade sound card: 120 EUR

There you go ... a wonderful setup for:

- Watching DVD/blu-ray
- Listening to music
- Internet
- Making music

Smile
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 03:34
2110 x 1.2699 = 2679.48 dollars

2680 dollars is affordable?
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 03:39
^ well, keep in mind that you don't need a separate computer anymore, and that you probably would have gotten a LCD TV either way.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 03:58
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

^ well, keep in mind that you don't need a separate computer anymore, and that you probably would have gotten a LCD TV either way.

Why not just pop a used six dollar DVD into the 500 dollar laptop and listen to it on my 30 dollar stereo speakers? Seems to leave me with 2100 dollars for other things.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 04:04
^ well, if you think that would be the same bang for your buck, go ahead.

*Sigh* these Logitech speakers (X-530) seem to be the most underrated piece of gear on the planet.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 09:22

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - May 13 2010 at 09:23
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 09:56
3D is a great concept for computer games ... and maybe even for movies, *if* they're shot in 3D. Since most movies happen to have been shot in 2D, I would say that going for a 3D capable blu-ray player is silly if you're just going to watch movies. But on the other hand, if you're a big fan of Avatar, maybe it would make sense.Wink
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 10:12

Apparently, this months Playboy Centerfold will be in 3-D too.  Be careful or you might poke an eye out. Wink

A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 10:18
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Apparently, this months Playboy Centerfold will be in 3-D too.  Be careful or you might poke an eye out. Wink

I'd be more afraid of a Playgirl 3D centerfold. LOL
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 10:21
Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

It's one thing to admit you cannot afford a superior product. It is quite another to downplay it and behave as if it's nothing more than a scam. I still remember when people around me were bitching about DVD players, and saying that VHS was 'good enough', and how DVD was just a fad and would die like LaserDisc. Well now those very same people consider DVD the norm and are once again dumbing down the significance of this new technology simply because they can't afford it yet.

In first place, I can afford it (Even whenI admit it's expensive), but I must be honest, I seen Blu Ray with LCD and the difference is not worth changing everything, at least for me.

I don't consider myself an ignorant, but an LCD with a DVD and 5.1 Home Theater is more than enough for me, as somebody said before Enough is enough.

I won't change every item in my house each 2 months a new product hits the market, to make the owners of big companies richer, because thie doesn't end here, next month the LED would be obsolete and something better than the Blu Ray will be for us all to buy it.

As I did alwsys before this crazy race for technology, will let my TV's and DVD's get useless because the pass of time and change them for soimething better when I have to do it, not when Sony, Samsung or Toshiba tell me to do it.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 13 2010 at 14:44

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 12:59
^ I still see a definite pattern here of downplaying the advantages of the new system and at the same time exaggerating the criticism (clearly video standards don't change every two months).

Of course you don't *have* to change your equipment, and as a matter of fact I'm not a so called early adopter myself. But the difference is striking. Isn't it odd that many of those who downplay the difference also happen to have a DVD system and probably a huge collection of DVDs, and simply maneuvered themselves into a position where they can't easily upgrade without losing much of their investment? But hey, even if you decide to upgrade your DVDs won't become useless. I still watch DVDs ... I simply now have a choice of watching films in HD when I want to (and/or when they're available).

My advice: Upgrade strategically. If you ever wanted to upgrade to blu-ray, now is the time ... full HD (1080p) displays are affordable, as are blu-ray players. Or if you have a computer, get yourself a cheap full HD computer display and a blu-ray drive - or combine your computer and TV and save some money from this synergy. Rent your discs rather than buying them, and you'll never have a problem - by the time we get another standard (probably more than 5 years from now, and more than likely it won't be physical discs anymore) your current gear will be sufficiently old to warrant an upgrade anyway. If you're not an early adopter, stay away from expensive 3D equipment until it's clear that it's not a fad.
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 13:04
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

In first place, I can afford it (Even whenI admit it's expensive), but I must be honest, I seen Blu Ray with LXCD and the doifference is not worth changing everything, at least for me.

Then you have bad eyesight. The difference is extraordinary when watching the same film next to itself, one on DVD and the other on BD. But like I said, if you don't think it's worth paying for on a personal level, I have no problem with that. 

I don't consider myself an ignorant, but an LCD with a DVD and 5.1 Home Theater is more than enough for me, as somebody said before Enough is enough.

I'm even more 'behind' than you are in terms of television. See, I own a Plasma, because I prefer its brighter colors and darker black levels. Just because a lot of people tell me that LCD and LED are 'better' doesn't mean that's what I prefer to watch my films on.

I take it however that your LCD is at least 720p? You realize that the money you spent on it is going to waste if you're not watching Hi-Def imagery on it in the first place. That's kinda what TVs like that one are made for.

I won't change every item in my house each 2 months a new prduct hits the market, to make the owners of big companies richer, because thie doesn't end here, next month the LED would be obsolete and something better than the Blu Ray will be for us all to buy it.

Again, I find that statement to be incorrect. Blu-Ray is obviously catching on because it's become so affordable in such a short amount of time. That's a sign that it's worth investing in, in my opinion. Do you think 3D Television will get that affordable that quickly? Of course not. 3D TV is a gimmick; Blu-Ray and Hi-Definition is not. There is a difference, and I do wish people like yourself would be able to tell the difference between them rather than simply writing off everything as being pointless or money-making scams. Blu-Ray is here to stay for many years, my friend. As is the ability to stream Hi-Definition film and television straight to your PC/PlayStation/360/Apple TV/etc. and watch on your HDTV instantly. Welcome to the present. 

As I did alwsys before this crazy race for technolñogy, will let my TV's and DVD's get useless because the pass of time and change them for soimething better when I have to do it, not when Sony, Samsung or Toshiba tell me to do it.

Iván

Well, some would argue that time is fast approaching already. Tube Televisions are no longer sold new in stores, Blu-Ray players are becoming more and more prominent, and PCs are now being packaged with Blu-Ray drives, so anything at all new that you buy for any reason will automatically upgrade you wether you like it or not; not because Sony told you to, but because the market naturally moved in that direction and you really have no other choice. 

And then when the new holodecks come out, we'll both grumble and say that Blu-Ray is ''good enough'' for us. Tongue Wink

Edited by JLocke - May 13 2010 at 13:08
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 13:07
Have a look at this comparison:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3570/3783031804_3760f32e53_o.jpg

(use the magnifying function of your browser to make sure that you're actually looking at the image in its native resolution - users without full HD displays will have to scroll)

Please, does anyone of the "blu-ray is not that much of an improvement" agree that there is a striking difference?
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 13:10

(use the magnifying function of your browser to make sure that you're actually looking at the image in its native resolution - users without full HD displays will have to scroll)

Please, does anyone of the "blu-ray is not that much of an improvement" agree that there is a striking difference?

They're just going to say that the bottom image is over-manipulated, or something. You can't convince people who have already made up their minds. All the time you've spent in the christian thread should have taught you that by now. Wink

EDIT: Wow, we have the same exact post count as of this message. 

Edited by JLocke - May 13 2010 at 13:11
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 13:21

Yeah, it's a little better. And if the difference is important to you, then great. It's not important to me. If I was given the option to upgrade my player and all my movies to blu-ray for free, I would take it. But what I percieve to be a small difference is not worth the effort to upgrade.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 13:24
^ nice!

Well, this reminds me of a nice TED presentation that I watched earlier today:

http://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_how_great_leaders_inspire_action.html

I agree with him. Presenting facts about the superiority of blu-ray will convince few people ...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 13:25

Smaller pixels! Wowie zowie, allow me to bring out my fat wallet to buy the Blu-ray player, Blu-ray discs and HD TV!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 13:44
Case in point.Big smile

EDIT: And another one with thellama.Tongue

Edited by Mr ProgFreak - May 13 2010 at 13:47
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 13:50
I would never say it's not better, but until I'm filthy rich or the hardware is dirt cheap, it's not happening.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 13:51
Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

Smaller pixels! Wowie zowie, allow me to bring out my fat wallet to buy the Blu-ray player, Blu-ray discs and HD TV!

1989 again. Nobody's asking for your money. But if people say a clearly inferior format is better than a clearly superior one, it's quite ridiculous. There's no subjectivity here. Bluray IS better than dvd. Not everybody needs it of course. I bought mine when I bought an HDTV, not before. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>