Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 57>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 12:27
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

How about these then...only one pair left though

I bought a pair of those as desktop speakers for my PC - bright, clear, sod all bass to talk about but infinitely better than most PC type speakers. I'd never put them on a "hi-fi", but in a bedroom they'd be adequate.
What?
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 12:50
So have you guys decided on the new format (if any)? I need to know if I should keep buying CDs, as I have a few planned purchases ahead. And we're quite ahead in the new decade. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 12:54
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

Originally posted by oliverstoned oliverstoned wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Also the use of Kevlar in some mid/bass units sounds very nice, I would assume very durable too.

Kevlar is not new.

I think it is - in this application. Can you point to affordable hi-fi speakers available in the 90s which used kevlar?

That was my point on the kevlar. Today you find that material in a lot of mid range priced speakers, versus 20yrs ago maybe only in the upper end price range.
Just as you saw a lot of speaker cabinets 20-30yrs ago made from particleboard (as the choice of cheap material) but this product is extremely porous which made the need for those 300mm to 380mm woofers.
With HDF the low end seems much more tighter and you can get away with smaller drivers......Plus it gives the box some substance.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 12:58
CD is already music as digital data. We're already long past having any set physical medium. Music will continue to be data. The file formats may change but it's still going to be data.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 13:05
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

So have you guys decided on the new format (if any)? I need to know if I should keep buying CDs, as I have a few planned purchases ahead. And we're quite ahead in the new decade. 
Hmm. Flipancy and irreverence... I like it, if you can dice up some sarcasm I'll take a kilo.

I don't think there will be another hardcopy media to replace CD - solidstate was tried and never caught on - it's going to be download and stream - local "storage" will be much like the Kindle model - temporary licence only and managed by the vendor not the buyer. The big push for *cloud* computing (or the Internet as I still like to call it) is heading everyone down this path whether we want it or not - we will dumbly handover control of our data to one of the three or four major megacorps that own the software we will need to listen to it and the concept of "owning" copies of any album or film will be but a memory.

Edited by Dean - April 14 2011 at 13:06
What?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 13:06
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

CD is already music as digital data. We're already long past having any set physical medium. Music will continue to be data. The file formats may change but it's still going to be data.

I like my vinyl LP's.........if you use a magnifying glass on the grooves you can actually see the notes written on the side walls of the grooves. Its better than a bunch of zeros and ones......
Big smile
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 17:37
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Hmm. Flipancy and irreverence... I like it, if you can dice up some sarcasm I'll take a kilo.

I don't think there will be another hardcopy media to replace CD - solidstate was tried and never caught on - it's going to be download and stream - local "storage" will be much like the Kindle model - temporary licence only and managed by the vendor not the buyer. The big push for *cloud* computing (or the Internet as I still like to call it) is heading everyone down this path whether we want it or not - we will dumbly handover control of our data to one of the three or four major megacorps that own the software we will need to listen to it and the concept of "owning" copies of any album or film will be but a memory.

Currently the music format of choice is still mp3 ... without any digital rights management. I think we'll see a similar change for ebooks, eventually.

Edited by Mr ProgFreak - April 14 2011 at 17:47
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 17:41

Listening on x-230 system as we speak.

For a desktop system in an office where I never turn it up past conversation level, it works fine. I'm not going to mix/master with it, but does the job.

If it's a large office, turning it up quickly reveals its limitations - in a small room however it's surprisingly powerful IMO. Most importantly: It sounds great if you use it like it was meant to be used. If you sit in front of the computer, in the sweet spot, at decent volume and you close your eyes, it can really feel like you're listening to a big system.

Edited by Mr ProgFreak - April 14 2011 at 17:44
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 17:47

That's one way of looking at it. I prefer to see music as vibrations coming out of speakers ... any means of producing those vibrations is fine with me. I have hundreds of vinyls, about a thousand CDs and thousands of (legal) mp3s ... all of them result in actual music coming out of speakers, and *that's* what really matters to me.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 17:51
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I like my vinyl LP's.........if you use a magnifying glass on the grooves you can actually see the notes written on the side walls of the grooves. Its better than a bunch of zeros and ones......
Big smile

Really?  That's amazing.  I wish I'd known this years ago, I could've saved a fortune on sheetmusic

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 18:13
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

Currently the music format of choice remains to be mp3 ... without any digital rights management. I think we'll see a similar change for ebooks, eventually.

I don't think so - various ebook and ereader formats have been around for many years, yet it is the Kindle and its somewhat primative HTML format that is dominating. There is no impetuous for ebooks to go the way of mp3s - it is in neither the publishers nor the retailers interest to allow it to happen, which is why the Amazon model is so attractive to them.

It is not so much the format that has "won" but the delivery system and I predict that music delivery will follow that. By limiting the transfer of files from a controlled source to a controlled receptor all DRM is unnecessary. The majority of music-buyers (who are technologically illiterate) will receive their music from Amazon or ITunes direct to their wifi music player, (or *cloud bubble* or whatever they'll call your remote storage facility) then stream that locally by wifi, 3G or bluetooth to where ever they want to hear it, be that their hi-fi, pc, portable mp3 player, car-head unit or smart-phone. Since the supplier will own and control the software on the receptor it will not be possible to copy this file without hacking into the stream, but without a means of playback for that hacked data there wouldn't be much point anyway. Of course this won't deter the determined, but the megacorps don't need to - all they need to deter is the masses.

The technology of this system is already here, and the "mentality" to adopt it is already with us. The speed at which the wide-eyed public is willing to accept a piece of hardware with no external I/O is bewildering, and the headlong rush to *the cloud* will be equally as stagering once that killer App that renders *the cloud* as indispensible has been produced/invented/discovered. By the time people realise they don't actually own anything they've paid for it will be too late.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 18:22
^ Most people I know (who aren't technophiles) are still very suspicious of such technologies - they always make sure that they get a file which they can play on any computer. I agree though that future generations will most likely grow up without that concept of wanting to "own" the copies.

Personally, I would be willing to rent music - but it would have to be cheaper than actually owning it. 

As far as ebooks are concerned: I bought a number of Kindle books - but I also have a different relation to books than I have to music. For example, I don't read books over and over again. Most books that I purchased are gathering dust on a shelf. So with books I'm more willing to risk buying DRM protected files - but also only if the ebook represents a considerable discount compared to the hard copy. Interestingly I find books much easier to read on the Kindle or iPad.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 18:49

^ needless to say, it won't be the cost of renting that will be cheaper, but the cost of owning it that will be(come) more expensive.

At the moment many Kindle books are only a few cents/pence cheaper than the paperback.
What?
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 19:04
The interesting thing about CD vs. vinyl is that most mass-consumer music retailers (Wal-Mart, HMV, Best Buy) sell only CDs...the local HMVs occasionally have a vinyl or two available but they are mostly CDs. Some markets, like classical, still exist mostly in the CD space (to my knowledge). Yet, all the local record stores here focus a lot more on vinyl than CD, or at best half and half. So the more musically inclined  seem to prefer vinyl, but those who are more casual but still want to own a hard copy prefer CD.
Proletariat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 19:08

^ needless to say, it won't be the cost of renting that will be cheaper, but the cost of owning it that will be(come) more expensive.

At the moment many Kindle books are only a few cents/pence cheaper than the paperback.
True, however with colege text books the price difference is INSANE my freind just got a kindle version of his $200 text book for only (I think he sayed) $25. Just hearing that makes me think that buying a kindle or similar device would actually be worth it based on the cost I would save buying text books. (plus the fact that it comes with free classics is awsome)

As for music I like to have CDs because I like artwork and linear notes and showing them off. However I do download music when its free online and I used to download all the time because my parents always got me itunes gift cards for christmas and birthdays also I will download things that are rare and are significantly cheaper digitally. Currently my collection is 50%digital 50% physical. Sometimes I have somthing digitally that I want to have a hard copy of because I like it so much and I go out and buy the CD.
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 19:18
Uggh the idea of studying on a kindle. When graphics are such an integral part of the format, I can't imagine it working as easily as text. Of course, I never predicted my wife who reads like a rabid dog and half of the weight of any more for us is her sci-fi / fantasy collection, would ever go electronic, and she loves her kindle. She also reads on her iPad, and hasn't complained of eyestrain yet.

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 19:21

The point I'm making (or one of the many perhaps) is that none of this will be consumer-driven. It never has been in the past and it won't be in the future either. No matter how much you want CD hardcopy, if they don't make it you can't buy it.

What?
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 19:30
Would they still be making vinyl except for consumer demand? 

Just as counterpoint...
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 19:46

Would they still be making vinyl except for consumer demand? 

Just as counterpoint...
The ability to manufacture vinyl was kept viable by the dance scene where DJs needed 12" vinyl for their "performance" and the consumer wanted what the DJs had (because they all wanted to be DJs too).

In other scenes vinyl is a niche market and for many artists, a marketing ploy/gimmick - what says "we take our music seriously man" quicker and more effectively than releasing their latest album as a vinyl?

It may look like consumer demand, but it is a supplier created demand.
What?
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 20:13

Sheesh, no idea this particular thread would still be hanging out a year later.  Well, the old Sony carousel is still hanging about, as tetchy as ever.

Sony:  Table error.
Me:  Wha, you think you're some SQL thang, what with you're tables and rows and columns?
Sony:  No, it's this table all yer CD's are sitting upon is weighing me down.
Me:  Well yes, that's what yer designed for, yes?  And playin' them as well.
Sony:  I grow old, I grow old.
Me:  Roll up yer trousers, I can get a fine new Yamaha online.
Sony:  F*ck ya, it'll all be online computerized shortly.  Then what ya gonna do?
Me:  Rahsaan said, pull out de plug, you'll be dead.
Sony: Yep.

Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 57>