Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJethro Tull vs. Genesis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Poll Question: Which band would you generally prefer if you had to choose?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
51 [36.17%]
90 [63.83%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2011 at 14:36

All Genesis, all the time.

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2011 at 20:55
Originally posted by bucka001 bucka001 wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

I reckon most people would get into prog after enough listening but most people have pretty simple/dumb taste in music. But in the end they would wake up to how good prog is after enough listening.

Actually, Ian Anderson might disagree with you about prog (and he certainly doesn't seem to respect Gabriel-era Genesis).

Anderson from the new Classic Rock Presents Prog: "Prog became a bit of a joke, really. Perhaps the archetpal prog rock bands were the spaghetti noodlers like Yes and ELP, who could take a good idea and make it last for days! Some of it was silly, when you think about Peter Gabriel dressed a giant sunflower. It was ridiculous."

He's kind of right. Tull are the perfect blend of rock,folk, classical and jazz. When they did a long song they made sure the whole song was full of strong changing melodies. They didn't put in 5 minutes of sound effects to fill in space. ELP were finished after Trilogy imo. When I see pictures of Gabriel with his head shaved down the middle I think showpony/rebel which doesn't go down as cool at all. His voice on the Lamb is pretty annoying and his outfits were pretty embarrasing lol. Tulls remasters from 1970-74 and 1977-80 are awesome

If Ian Anderson is kind of right, as you say, then maybe music fans who aren't into prog don't necessarily have "simple/dumb taste in music" and probably wouldn't "wake up to how good prog is after enough listening." Especially not if prog's about "spaghetti noodlers" and ridiculous theatrics. Reading Anderson's quote, one gets the feeling that the fans who turned away from prog and aren't interested may be more clued-in than you're giving them credit for. On the other hand, maybe you're right about people getting into prog if they'd only give it enough listening... but then Anderson's statement would have to be taken with a grain of salt (and probably disagreed with).

There's nothing particularly defensible about that statement, if he made it. If Yes and ELP were making a good idea last a week, what were JT doing but rejigging Aqualung for each 'new' album for fans who couldn't have enough of the same sound?  Now, that's an obvious exaggeration, but intended as a rebuttal to someone who actually thinks that is a justifiable description of prog.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2011 at 22:07

I reckon most people would get into prog after enough listening but most people have pretty simple/dumb taste in music. But in the end they would wake up to how good prog is after enough listening.

Actually, Ian Anderson might disagree with you about prog (and he certainly doesn't seem to respect Gabriel-era Genesis).

Anderson from the new Classic Rock Presents Prog: "Prog became a bit of a joke, really. Perhaps the archetpal prog rock bands were the spaghetti noodlers like Yes and ELP, who could take a good idea and make it last for days! Some of it was silly, when you think about Peter Gabriel dressed a giant sunflower. It was ridiculous."

He's kind of right. Tull are the perfect blend of rock,folk, classical and jazz. When they did a long song they made sure the whole song was full of strong changing melodies. They didn't put in 5 minutes of sound effects to fill in space. ELP were finished after Trilogy imo. When I see pictures of Gabriel with his head shaved down the middle I think showpony/rebel which doesn't go down as cool at all. His voice on the Lamb is pretty annoying and his outfits were pretty embarrasing lol. Tulls remasters from 1970-74 and 1977-80 are awesome

If Ian Anderson is kind of right, as you say, then maybe music fans who aren't into prog don't necessarily have "simple/dumb taste in music" and probably wouldn't "wake up to how good prog is after enough listening." Especially not if prog's about "spaghetti noodlers" and ridiculous theatrics. Reading Anderson's quote, one gets the feeling that the fans who turned away from prog and aren't interested may be more clued-in than you're giving them credit for. On the other hand, maybe you're right about people getting into prog if they'd only give it enough listening... but then Anderson's statement would have to be taken with a grain of salt (and probably disagreed with).

well the thing i love about prog is the composition. I don't really care about experimenting or songs lasting 20 minutes with 5 minutes of filler.
mr.cub View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2011 at 22:24
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

There's nothing particularly defensible about that statement, if he made it. If Yes and ELP were making a good idea last a week, what were JT doing but rejigging Aqualung for each 'new' album for fans who couldn't have enough of the same sound?  Now, that's an obvious exaggeration, but intended as a rebuttal to someone who actually thinks that is a justifiable description of prog.

Don't really think Tull was rehashing Aqualung with their subsequent releases, each album from the seventies has its own flavor. Personally go with Tull over Genesis; a very diverse band and they put out a string of fantastic albums

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2011 at 22:41
Originally posted by mr.cub mr.cub wrote:

Don't really think Tull was rehashing Aqualung with their subsequent releases, each album from the seventies has its own flavor. Personally go with Tull over Genesis; a very diverse band and they put out a string of fantastic albums

I agree with that. Tull has always found a way to put very different music in their albums, somehow preserving the authentic Tull sound. Even though they are classified as folk rock in this forum, their music is more eclectic and full of many different influences.
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 15:55
I love both , all these polls are a bit tiring, think it's better making poll between albums from one band Sleepy
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 16:09
Originally posted by jean-marie jean-marie wrote:

I love both , all these polls are a bit tiring, think it's better making poll between albums from one band Sleepy

Genesis vs Mozart next.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 16:16
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Genesis vs Mozart next.

How about Genesis vs Mozart  vs W.C. Handy vs Bertolt Brecht? Just to stir things up?
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 16:34
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Genesis vs Mozart next.   pffff! but i love both SnowDog,Unhappy
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 20:52
Originally posted by mr.cub mr.cub wrote:

The point is, if Tull did, then so did Yes, ELP and Genesis.  If people don't think the individual albums of those bands lacked, duh, individuality, that is most likely down to having not listened enough to them.  I don't see how BSS is in any way a rehash of Tarkus or TFTO a rehash of CTTE, for instance and my post was evidently addressed to that point.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 20:53

well the thing i love about prog is the composition. I don't really care about experimenting or songs lasting 20 minutes with 5 minutes of filler.

Where are five minutes of filler in Close to The Edge (song)?  It's one of the tightest prog epics around and a good deal tighter than Supper's Ready, TAAB or APP. 
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 21:02
Boo Genesis. Yay Jethro Tull.
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 21:08

Where are five minutes of filler in Close to The Edge (song)?  It's one of the tightest prog epics around and a good deal tighter than Supper's Ready, TAAB or APP. 

As much as I prefer TAAB and APP to Close to the Edge, it's hard to disagree with this. All three of the other songs you mentioned undeniably have filler parts, with the greatest culprit being TAAB, which is part of the reason why I've recently turned away from it in recent years in favor of other tull albums. Baker St. Muse is pretty solid from beginning to end though.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2011 at 19:52

There's a touch of filler in the title song I think. I think Relayer has more filler though. Gates doesn't need to be 20 minutes long. I only rate the first 5 or 6 minutes highly. Nothing beats composition. Noises and ballads show lack of ideas imo
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2011 at 22:27

There's a touch of filler in the title song I think. I think Relayer has more filler though. Gates doesn't need to be 20 minutes long. I only rate the first 5 or 6 minutes highly. Nothing beats composition. Noises and ballads show lack of ideas imo

Touch, indeed!  Whatever.  And that section after the first five minutes is carefully composed music, unless you also regard Schoenberg or Stockhausen as noise and only anything blues based with happy chords as music.  Seriously though, TAAB loses the plot from minutes 20 to 30 and you have more of an issue with a 'touch of filler' in CTTE?  You are evidently quite biased.  I like both bands, mind, so I am just trying to understand whether you have any point.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2011 at 23:30

Touch, indeed!  Whatever.  And that section after the first five minutes is carefully composed music, unless you also regard Schoenberg or Stockhausen as noise and only anything blues based with happy chords as music.  Seriously though, TAAB loses the plot from minutes 20 to 30 and you have more of an issue with a 'touch of filler' in CTTE?  You are evidently quite biased.  I like both bands, mind, so I am just trying to understand whether you have any point.

The only filler on TAAB is near the start of side 2. But it is filler I guess. But I do prefer TAAB over CTTE
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 00:05

The only filler on TAAB is near the start of side 2. But it is filler I guess. But I do prefer TAAB over CTTE

You're very much entitled to your preferences. nobody is questioning them.  But don't come up with specious arguments to create a pseudo-empirical basis to dismiss another band.  
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 01:12

You're very much entitled to your preferences. nobody is questioning them.  But don't come up with specious arguments to create a pseudo-empirical basis to dismiss another band.  

Why not? I think Yes were best from 1970-72. I honestly think they started to run out of composition ideas after that. They only did 2 albums from 1975-1979. 2 albums in 5 years isn't much. Was never a big fan of GFTO either.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 01:22

Why not? I think Yes were best from 1970-72. I honestly think they started to run out of composition ideas after that. They only did 2 albums from 1975-1979. 2 albums in 5 years isn't much. Was never a big fan of GFTO either.

You are backpedalling now. You earlier defended Anderson's statement which tantamounted to saying that Yes simply covered a decent idea with noodling and said you don't like compositions with a lot of filler. A reasonable reading of what you said would give the impression that you think Yes in general were just a pile of noodle, which you are backtracking from now.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 02:02

You are backpedalling now. You earlier defended Anderson's statement which tantamounted to saying that Yes simply covered a decent idea with noodling and said you don't like compositions with a lot of filler. A reasonable reading of what you said would give the impression that you think Yes in general were just a pile of noodle, which you are backtracking from now.

I never said anything bad about Yes, so why you say I did? Wink
All I'm saying is while Yes are one of my top 10 fave bands, they kind of lost their greatness after 1972 because they dragged out songs to 15 or 20 minutes when there wasn't enough strong composition to fill the song. I see great moments but also holes in Relayer. GFTO isn't bad, but nowhere near the quality of 1970-72. I quite like Tormato because it was back to the shorter songs like Fragile/The yes album. I quite like Tales but I still don't see the need for a double album. Tull was capable of making a 45 minute song without much filler, while Yes would struggle to make a 20 minute song without the same amount of filler. Ian Anderson was  such a good composer. He came up with so many good melodic verses/chorses. So many great bonus tracks

Edited by dr prog - April 22 2011 at 02:04
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>