Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 308309310311312 358>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Strider View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2011 at 17:16

Thanks for the suggestions guys - I'll give them a shot.

I know what you mean about RPI being unappreciated in it's own country. When i am over there visiting my relations, i know it's pointless trying to talk to the younger ones about it, but what is even sadder is that even those of a similar age to me have not even heard of most of the groups!

At least i've managed to find a record shop not far away from where i stay which stocks some RPI (Jungle Records in Conegliano) - so i usually manage to return home to the UK with decent music.

BTW I've just discovered that there are 8 6CD box sets of italian prog (Progressive Italia Gli Anni 70 Vol.1-8), but i'm struggling to find out which albums are in each set. Does anyone have the details of these sets, and would you recommend them?

Cheers

Pete

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2011 at 19:45
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I thought people listened to RPI because of the Italian language and the beauty it conveys? It is however a thrill to see so many here on PA, who prefers pomodoros over tomatoes...[yep, precisely!]

I was so disappointed with the Cherry Five album I got my hands on last month - great music, but alas those English vocals are just not hitting the spot for me. [I'm with you on that one too---our Bonnek says it well in his review: "The album's weakness comes from the vocalist, not so much due to his voice but because of his unremarkable and rather cliché vocal lines. I blame it on the choice for English lyrics. It's never easy singing in a foreign tongue of which you don't entirely master the rhythmical and harmonic qualities. Had he sung in Italian I'm quite sure this album would have been a lot better. For comparison, one only needs to look at the sub-par English-sung albums that PFL, Le Orme and Banco released."]

I need to listen to that Il Tempio record again - I find myself sharing the same sentiments as Rune2000 just described in his review. [I couldn't agree, but to each his/her ownWink]

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2011 at 19:36
Originally posted by andrea andrea wrote:

Originally posted by Strider Strider wrote:

Hi,

I'm going to Italy for a month in August. I'm hoping someone here can point me in the direction of a good site that lists upcoming gigs in Italy (obviously preferably of a progressive nature!). I'm particularly interested in gigs in the Piacenza /  Parma area, and in the area around Treviso. 

Any help gratefully accepted.

Check these links before leaving...

Cool, I knew you would be able to help Andrea....Clap

I'm asking a couple of musicians from Piacenza, I'll let Strider know if they have suggestions. 

andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2011 at 14:05

Hi,

I'm going to Italy for a month in August. I'm hoping someone here can point me in the direction of a good site that lists upcoming gigs in Italy (obviously preferably of a progressive nature!). I'm particularly interested in gigs in the Piacenza /  Parma area, and in the area around Treviso. 

Check these links before leaving...

Edited by andrea - June 24 2011 at 14:06
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2011 at 13:02

Hi,

Have you by any chance looked through PA´s Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals? I´m pretty sure you´d be able to find something, but as I regrettably found out, RPI is not a big thing in its homeland. Would have thought it was the bee´s knees, but no Italian (apart from those around here) I have ever met knows of PFM or Banco, and I attend a university with international tiesCry 

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2011 at 09:36
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Il Tempio della Clessidre
Short excerpts from a review by "Classic Rock Presents Prog" magazine

"The press release tries to claim that this Italian band have in their midst members of "legendary" prog band Museo Rosenbach.Presumably the use of the word "legendary" in this context misses of the words "in their own lunchtime",as no matter how hard they might try to build it up,the majority of Italian prog bands have made little impact on the world stage.

However,the blunt,politically incorrect truth is that in spite of occassional flashes of musical magic,with all the lyrics being delivered in Italian,it's still an album most would never listen to more than once." Rich Wilson

I thought people listened to RPI because of the Italian language and the beauty it conveys? It is however a thrill to see so many here on PA, who prefers pomodoros over tomatoes...
I was so disappointed with the Cherry Five album I got my hands on last month - great music, but alas those English vocals are just not hitting the spot for me.

I need to listen to that Il Tempio record again - I find myself sharing the same sentiments as Rune2000 just described in his review.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Strider View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2011 at 06:40

Hi,

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2011 at 08:22
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

^^ Well you know what the problem is Jim, they're not a British crossover prog band with a female singer.

Hahaha!
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2011 at 12:51
^^ Well you know what the problem is Jim, they're not a British crossover prog band with a female singer.
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toroddfuglesteg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2011 at 12:43

That review also annoyed me a lot. No wonder...... that album was my numero uno album for 2010 !!!! Tongue

........still is, btw.

Why not get in touch with the editor Ewing and volunteer yourself or a certain another person we both have in mind as a reviewer for CRPP ? Nobody is perfect, not even myself. And neither is CRPP. In this matter, there is a gaping hole we should persuade them to fill. 

So that's a case to be presented to the offender and I am pretty certain the issue will be resolved to everyone's satisfaction. Act instead of react. Thumbs Up

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2011 at 12:13
Il Tempio della Clessidre
Short excerpts from a review by "Classic Rock Presents Prog" magazine

"The press release tries to claim that this Italian band have in their midst members of "legendary" prog band Museo Rosenbach.Presumably the use of the word "legendary" in this context misses of the words "in their own lunchtime",as no matter how hard they might try to build it up,the majority of Italian prog bands have made little impact on the world stage.

However,the blunt,politically incorrect truth is that in spite of occassional flashes of musical magic,with all the lyrics being delivered in Italian,it's still an album most would never listen to more than once." Rich Wilson

LOL

Right Rich, so because the lyrics are in Italian, people can only handle it once, eh?  Apparently your readers are a bit more rigid than the PA community.  That  might be the strangest thing I've ever read in a review. 

Is Rich their best man for Italian prog reviews?   If so, I'll pass on the mag, thanks. 

By the way, ignore their review.  The Il Tempio album is fantastic

Edited by Finnforest - June 22 2011 at 12:15

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2011 at 10:54
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

In some cases, when Italian bands revert to singing in English, the results are better. I can think of two examples off the bat, the first Libra album, whose English language version is so great, it is almost in a class by itself, and Il Rovescio Della Medaglia's Contamination album, whose English version is so "right" There are, of course, groups like Le Orme where it is not possible to beat the Italian so beautifully done

Interesting, I'm keen to investigate these two. I've read a little about Libra and I'm quite keen to compare the two versions. Sounds like the English one will be tough to find, but then, maybe not, being on Motown? Will have a look around, and for the Il Rovescio 'bach' albums - read a few great reviews on that one too.

The English version of Libra is hard to find in any way, it never made it onto cd at all, and the Motown lp has been deleted for decades.
        The Italian version has been issued as a limited edition cd a couple of times.
        The English version is worth hunting down, though, especially for the beautiful vocals by the late Federico D'Andrea.
        I read that he died in 1978 by being run over by a car! What a senseless waste.
                The RDM Engish version of Contamination has made it onto cd, but hard to find-again well worth the hunt

Edited by presdoug - June 21 2011 at 10:57
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2011 at 10:36
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

the soundtrack (Milano Calibro 9) is a fantastic album, and one of the group's very best (it also happens to be the first Osanna i ever heard)
[/QUOTE

Interesting place to start, in that, you don't get the full range of Lino's vocals on it? From first listens (got it last week) I'm really enjoying the soundtrack, glad I placed the order. It's interesting, as I've had L'uomo & Palepoli for a long time and held off on this one because I'd been waiting for the right time, and it never seemed to come around for some reason. I've noted a lot of interesting moments in Calibo 9, it's still wild stuff, but a track like Pianalogo is stunning too, huh?
The soundtrack works great for me from beginning to end-it hangs together really well.
       The only other Osanna i have heard is L'uomo, which i quite like. Have heard great things about Palepoli, but have not heard it
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2011 at 10:22
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

^ Enjoy those, Chris!  I think you're in for a sumptuous feast.  And a great review of a great album--thanks!!

Speaking of feasts, I've been enjoying watching the DVDs from the Prog Exhibition.  Banco (they couldn't include the parts with John Wetton because of copyright issues Thumbs Down), the other half of Le Orme (Aldo and Tony, accompanied by David Cross on a couple numbers), PFM with Ian Anderson, Osanna (with VDGG's David Jackson and Balletto's Gianni Leone), RRR (with Thijs van Leer of Focus), The Trip, La Maschera di Cera, Periferia del Mondo, Abash, and Sinestesia (not really my kind of thing, frankly) . . . 4 DVDs and 7 CDs full of great music!!!   If you have wondered if these are any good, they certainly have my endorsement!

Sounds great Todd but a hefty price no doubt?

Yes, at BTF it's going for $89.  I don't recall what Greg's price was for me.  Here's a BTF link:

Actually considering what you get that's not a bad price. A bit much for my poor wallet at the moment though.
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2011 at 09:11
Thank you  Wink

It's great to discover so much music from Italy, it's another world to travel again, I love that! Tongue

I'm not saying I know all the bands from England but it's great to find other gems beside Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull, etc Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2011 at 06:29

In some cases, when Italian bands revert to singing in English, the results are better. I can think of two examples off the bat, the first Libra album, whose English language version is so great, it is almost in a class by itself, and Il Rovescio Della Medaglia's Contamination album, whose English version is so "right" There are, of course, groups like Le Orme where it is not possible to beat the Italian so beautifully done

Interesting, I'm keen to investigate these two. I've read a little about Libra and I'm quite keen to compare the two versions. Sounds like the English one will be tough to find, but then, maybe not, being on Motown? Will have a look around, and for the Il Rovescio 'bach' albums - read a few great reviews on that one too.

JazzMusicArchives.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2011 at 06:13

the soundtrack (Milano Calibro 9) is a fantastic album, and one of the group's very best (it also happens to be the first Osanna i ever heard)
[/QUOTE

Interesting place to start, in that, you don't get the full range of Lino's vocals on it? From first listens (got it last week) I'm really enjoying the soundtrack, glad I placed the order. It's interesting, as I've had L'uomo & Palepoli for a long time and held off on this one because I'd been waiting for the right time, and it never seemed to come around for some reason. I've noted a lot of interesting moments in Calibo 9, it's still wild stuff, but a track like Pianalogo is stunning too, huh?
JazzMusicArchives.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 18:25

^ Enjoy those, Chris!  I think you're in for a sumptuous feast.  And a great review of a great album--thanks!!

Speaking of feasts, I've been enjoying watching the DVDs from the Prog Exhibition.  Banco (they couldn't include the parts with John Wetton because of copyright issues Thumbs Down), the other half of Le Orme (Aldo and Tony, accompanied by David Cross on a couple numbers), PFM with Ian Anderson, Osanna (with VDGG's David Jackson and Balletto's Gianni Leone), RRR (with Thijs van Leer of Focus), The Trip, La Maschera di Cera, Periferia del Mondo, Abash, and Sinestesia (not really my kind of thing, frankly) . . . 4 DVDs and 7 CDs full of great music!!!   If you have wondered if these are any good, they certainly have my endorsement!

Sounds great Todd but a hefty price no doubt?

Yes, at BTF it's going for $89.  I don't recall what Greg's price was for me.  Here's a BTF link:

"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 18:22
That's a pretty good sample of the classics, ranging from the mellower side (La Locanda delle Fate) to the wilder (Osanna, Il Balletto di Bronzo).  From there you can go so, so deep, depending on where your inclination takes you.  Happy journey, lighter wallet!
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 14:41
Yep, that is a fine stack of discs right there.!!!   Enjoy my friendSmile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 308309310311312 358>