Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

read any good books lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 270271272273274 320>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2014 at 15:00
Just finished Pratchett's latest, Raising Steam. It doesn't have the fall-out-of-your-chair funny moments that older books of his had (Drop Bears anyone?), but his story telling is still brilliant.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 00:50
Just received Finnegan's Wake for Christmas...looking forward to the linguistic density.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 01:47

The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Pessimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 09:21
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Just finished Pratchett's latest, Raising Steam. It doesn't have the fall-out-of-your-chair funny moments that older books of his had (Drop Bears anyone?), but his story telling is still brilliant.

I've been meaning to get this one. What you've I find really valid too regarding later Pratchett. Up until around Wyrd Sisters I find he mostly focuses on joke telling, whereas the later he gets the better the storytelling is. I prefer his later works, The Truth and Going Postal especially...
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 09:44
i'm reading George Marek's "Toscanini" biography. It is a good read.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 13:22
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Just received Finnegan's Wake for Christmas...looking forward to the linguistic density.
Good luck with that one........I tried reading it over 20 years ago at age 42 and only got about 50 pages in before I developed a serious case of frustration.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJLehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 15:36

...that doesn't even touch it, from what I know. Be sure to tell us how truly mind melting it is. 

I finished Slaughterhouse 5 by Vonnegut, good read. 
Back to Infinite Jest for now. 
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 15:43
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Back to Infinite Jest for now. 
Good. Stern Smile
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJLehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 17:20
Hasn't exactly been an easy read :P

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2014 at 17:24
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Good luck with that one........I tried reading it over 20 years ago at age 42 and only got about 50 pages in before I developed a serious case of frustration.

My uncle (who gave me the book) said something similar. Though I think it was more due to finding other things to read than frustration.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2014 at 17:26

...that doesn't even touch it, from what I know. Be sure to tell us how truly mind melting it is. 

Hermetic obtuse linguist aerobatics vomited in a dense fog filled ubiquitous disorder?   

But will do.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2014 at 20:30

Hermetic obtuse linguist aerobatics vomited in a dense fog filled ubiquitous disorder?   
Are you playing Mad Libs?
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2014 at 21:09
I picked up Volume One of Oswald Spengler's "The Decline Of The West", called "Form and Actuality"

my Dad commented, "You are a brave soul, Doug."LOL

Seriously, though, it looks VERY interesting.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2014 at 06:25
Yeah, it's one of the strangest nonfiction books I've ever read. Basically Spengler presents a sociological theory-of-everything that constantly jumps into art history, scientific theory and theology yet is perfectly internally coherent despite not fitting into any existing political ideology. Though he's often categorized as conservative or traditionalist, if he is so it's in an uniquely selective manner I haven't seen anywhere else.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 01:19

Good cyberpunk/noir story about a garbageman turned hitman in a future New York that has been devastated by a dirty bomb and the rich have retreated into a virtual world and the poor are left to live in squalor in the ruins.

One thing annoying about this otherwise good book is its weird style,written entirely in short,sharp one or two sentence paragraphs and with no quotation marks to distinguish speech(Lavie Tidhar's excellent recent novel The Violent Century is also written like this).I hope this isn't the start of a trend.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 09:19
Well, cyberpunk's godfather William Gibson has a similar intentionally awkward and hyper-fragmented prose style. In his case I get the impression the point is that he's not writing for his contemporary readers, but for readers living in the futuristic society of the setting where language will have changed from now with society. (a more subtle version of what Anthony Burgess was doing with A Clockwork Orange)

I'm reading this anthology of journalistic articles and satirical fiction:

Really feels like a time machine trip back to the late 1990s, at it collects Wolfe's writing from that era. It's fascinating how good he is at throwing out comparisons to many different academic disciplines and cultural/historical contexts in order to explain the one an article ostensibly describes, without ever making it too confusing for the reader. He might be the most genuinely thought-provoking contemporary nonfiction author of note I've come across in a long while.

Some of the articles, like the "what's wrong with modern American literature" stuff or the constant digs at Continental philosophy, would even have come across as extremely petty in the hands of a less talented writer but Wolfe just has the kind of wit required to pull it off. His sardonic commentary on not just the sociobiology/evo-psych fad of the time but also its critics are hilarious too, and probably the high point of the book so far.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - January 25 2014 at 09:21
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LSDisease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 09:22
"Du gehst zu Frauen? Vergiss die Peitsche nicht!"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 09:44
Is that the book about the aircraft (or spaceships, can't remember exactly) supposedly mentioned in Hindu scriptures?
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LSDisease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 09:55
It's about the ancient flying machines of India that were called vimanas. Really interesting thing, a mixture of science and the ancient beliefs. 

Edited by LSDisease - January 25 2014 at 09:56
"Du gehst zu Frauen? Vergiss die Peitsche nicht!"
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2014 at 11:57
Originally posted by LSDisease LSDisease wrote:

It's about the ancient flying machines of India that were called vimanas. Really interesting thing, a mixture of science and the ancient beliefs. 
So what was his take on this...does he believe they were alien ufos or 'magical aircraft' of Hindu origins?
btw..as Toaster alluded to ufo buffs use this as another proof that aliens were flying around in mankind's past.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 270271272273274 320>