Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 388389390391392 446>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 11:36
I always knew there was something dark behind that witchy face.... 

Anyway, Georgia has overtaken FL in stupidity. 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 11:59
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Oklahoma execute someone as humanely as they can and it only takes 43minutes.  I suspect I could hack someone to death with a pencil sharpener slightly quicker.
It amazes me every day how the US keeps on wanting to be more and more barbaric as time goes on. From allowing guns on bars to continuing to have a death penalty (and making all efforts to carry it on) to having discriminatory bills in actual state legislatures, it is just unbelievable. 

The wife and I were discussing this yesterday.

What rather amazes us is the rather hypocritical handwringing going on over with America regarding "humane" executions. What the bloody hell does it matter how you kill them? At the end of the day, they are being killed, a barbaric act in itself, surely?

I should add that neither of us favours the death penalty, but my wife did make a good point, I believe. That is, the chap who was (eventually) killed showed his victims no mercy whatsoever. Therefore, a killing exacted in revenge, in the name of justice, should surely be as wicked and cruel as the act perpetrated. The reason, btw, for our opposition is the fact that one innocent life being taken does not justify hundreds of bloodthirsty, murdering b*****ds being removed from our presence. Our opposition does not come from liberal handwringing, hypocritical or otherwise.

It is fair to say that America's record on this is hardly exemplary. In fact, it is a disgrace.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 12:08
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Oklahoma execute someone as humanely as they can and it only takes 43minutes.  I suspect I could hack someone to death with a pencil sharpener slightly quicker.

It amazes me every day how the US keeps on wanting to be more and more barbaric as time goes on. From allowing guns on bars to continuing to have a death penalty (and making all efforts to carry it on) to having discriminatory bills in actual state legislatures, it is just unbelievable. 

The wife and I were discussing this yesterday.
What rather amazes us is the rather hypocritical handwringing going on over with America regarding "humane" executions. What the bloody hell does it matter how you kill them? At the end of the day, they are being killed, a barbaric act in itself, surely?
I should add that neither of us favours the death penalty, but my wife did make a good point, I believe. That is, the chap who was (eventually) killed showed his victims no mercy whatsoever. Therefore, a killing exacted in revenge, in the name of justice, should surely be as wicked and cruel as the act perpetrated. The reason, btw, for our opposition is the fact that one innocent life being taken does not justify hundreds of bloodthirsty, murdering b*****ds being removed from our presence. Our opposition does not come from liberal handwringing, hypocritical or otherwise.
It is fair to say that America's record on this is hardly exemplary. In fact, it is a disgrace.

Many of us here agree with you completely.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 12:16
The death penalty doesn't deter crime, the death penalty punishes people that have little to do with the crime (the family of the one to be killed, they also exist you know), the death penaly actually for some might be less of a punshiment than a long sentence in a usually atrocious place like a penitentiary, the death penalty is not proper of a civilized society.

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 12:30

The death penalty doesn't deter crime, the death penalty punishes people that have little to do with the crime (the family of the one to be killed, they also exist you know), the death penaly actually for some might be less of a punshiment than a long sentence in a usually atrocious place like a penitentiary, the death penalty is not proper of a civilized society.

Couldn't agree more.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 03:31

The death penalty is a lousy deterrent. If it worked, no one would be executed! The proponents of the death penalty know this, and they are being extremely hypocritical when they defend it in this way. Far better to be more honest, and state that they favour it as a way of punishing the most heinous crimes and that the prisoner deserves such a date. You might not agree with it, but at least it would be honest.

The families of the victims, btw, would probably point out to you that they too, are victims of the crime perpetrated, i.e. The family of a loved one murdered or raped. They would argue that it is right the family of the executed prisoner suffer in the way they suffer.

I also despair at the length of time the wretches spend on death row over in the USA, awaiting their "day". That strikes me as being almost as cruel as the execution itself.

Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 15:16
This soccer thing will never appeal to me, but damn are there some fine stories out there about it.

http://t.foxsports.msn.com/soccer/brazilian-team-punished-after-fan-killed-by-toilet-bowl-thrown-from-stands

These guys are fit to be Philadelphia fans!
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 16:01
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

This soccer thing will never appeal to me, but damn are there some fine stories out there about it.

http://t.foxsports.msn.com/soccer/brazilian-team-punished-after-fan-killed-by-toilet-bowl-thrown-from-stands

This is nothing compared to what happens when real hooligans confront each other....
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 18:03

Believe me, real football (soccer) fanatics are way more extreme and crazier than your average NFL fan... Tongue

(In fact though I don't reach those stupid levels I have been quite furious with friends over football (soccer) in the pastEmbarrassed)
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 18:34

Believe me, real football (soccer) fanatics are way more extreme and crazier than your average NFL fan... Tongue
(In fact though I don't reach those stupid levels I have been quite furious with friends over football (soccer) in the pastEmbarrassed)

Oh no doubt. This story proves it...and there are many more out there. I just wanted to take a jab at philly sports fans.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 19:24
Always good, make PA fans suffer Tongue
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2014 at 18:20

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2014 at 18:50
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

New lows in the treatment of workers....

Thumbs Down
JIT is bully-boy business practice at its worse. Of course what these employers have implemented is not a JIT system, they still have an "inventory" of fulltime employees, they're just not paying them fulltime. 
What?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2014 at 20:34
But some will say that that is absolute freedom and that this creates jobs. 

Disgusting. Slavery under a different name. 
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2014 at 19:00

Rock band Procol Harum blamed for abducting Nigerian schoolgirls in terrorist group mix-up

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/378098/Rock-band-Procol-Harum-blamed-for-abducting-Nigerian-schoolgirls-in-terrorist-group-mix-up

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 12 2014 at 19:01
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 15:32
Maccabi Tel Aviv!!!!!! 

Bowdown Bowdown Bowdown
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2014 at 09:12
Latest news is the Glasgow School of Art is on fire, and it looks pretty bad

Fortunately first reports are that no one is injured but the library, much the student's work and the fabric of Charles Rennie Mackintosh's magnificent building has been severely damaged.

What?
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2014 at 09:52
^ Sad news on such a grand architectural design.  Nobody hurt is a positive.

From BBC: Eyewitnesses said the fire appeared to have started when a projector exploded in the basement of the Charles Rennie Mackintosh building.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2014 at 23:54
Nobody has mentioned but yet ANOTHER shooting in the US, this time in California in UCSB, has left secen dead, including the young killer.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2014 at 23:59
^ Hadn't heard.   And that's terrible about the Glasgow art school
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 388389390391392 446>