Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPopol Vuh

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 12:36
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I am not sure that Eno cared what others did, because he himself is not musically taught, or studied ... and we would be intimating that his ability to tune in (he said on EM that he was pitch perfect) was not there, and we know it was, or he would not have been able to play with rock musicians like he did! He had to have at least, some rudimentary and basic music knowledge ... !!!
But it is obvious from the way he speaks and describes what he is trying to do, that if there is one thing he can do is dis-associate himself from the "melody" of the standard music definition (all music is "melody" kind of thing!), and create something else that also works within the music.
This was VASTLY different than what the Germans were doing, and you can hear Timothy Leary say a few words about it on 7-UP ... and in many ways, it made it look like Klaus Schulze, was merely playing around with the knobs, which might have been the case, but there also was a very well defined young man that KNEW music fairly well ... and the folks in CAN were not dummies ... when they had instructors whose names were in the who's who of experimental music in the 20th century that we -- here -- are scared poop-less to even consider, or discuss! All of those folks were all "anti", most western concepts of music, thus a lot of things were created that were different, and some of it ended up being called "krautrock", but others went in different directions ... to the point that CAN ended up making fun of disco ... but then you see what's his name say ... "not repetitive enough" ... and it makes you wonder what these "professors" were getting at? ... I don't think it was disco!
It should also be mentioned that the theater tradition during that time in Germany was highly experimental, and even one of its young starts went on to write for Wim Wenders in film ... and his process for lyrics in many of his plays was stranger than ruth or fiction ... and you won't believe it ... and it was the greates nightmare for actors on stage ... which might appear interesting to David Bowie (it did!) later. For ENO, I think it was more the chance to get out of London and be around a foreign place and experience a foreign thing for a chance! A different approach to music! Which helped David and Eno create a couple of things!
But I think that David was probably more interested in the acting and the very rich theater traditions in German history, than he would have been in anything else, and later he even went on to do Kurt Weill, which no doubt he looked at while there with Eno!
Originally posted by Sergey Lenkov Sergey Lenkov wrote:

"Affenstunde" was recorded by PV in 1970 before Eno became more or less known.
Agreed. However this album is less of a representative of anything else but the experiment of what the synthsizer could or might do, which at the time, was not exactly flowing electronics and moody stuff, but mostly anti-music doodling and fooling that was rather meaningless, even when it had a name.
I've always thought that it was a good name for the piece, that described a lot of the visual and internal elements of the very book they are named after ... but I seriously doubt that anyone here would ever make that connection ... or have a way to figure out exactly what that meant! It would be the same with the BARDO, portions of which would have us scared out of our underwear quickly before the whole house knows it!
ENO's process was a lot less about what the whole sequence of sounds might have felt like, and create a mood, and this might have been his eventual problem with Bryan Ferry ... one wanting to go all over the place with the knobs and sounds, and Bryan saying ... the music has to get tighter!

And the idea of ambient is present there. Holger Czukay, Can, NEU!, Konnie Plank - Bowie and Eno appreciated all of them.
It might be considered that the "ambient" thing started way before that, and even Beaver and Krause had their moments, that Tangerine Dream paid a tribute to in Stratosfear.
I think the real problem was ... when is ambient jsut a flip of the knob ... and when is ambient important ... and in this situation, ENO and everyone else, had a strong hand in it. NEU and the early pioneers of the Kraftwerk society and Faust, were already playing around with the knobs ... NEU, is almost exclusively about what that sound does and continue the piece until you are sick of it, but it sounded really stoney and far out, and we liked it, but is probably just a nice garage jam with a little effects added to it ... or just like Brian Jones telling us that The Pipes of Pan were not messed with at all, and neither was the Missa Luba!
The Cosmic Couriers were also "ambient" ... in many ways ... but because they are not repetitive, and tended to continue on a theme and feeling a lot more than just being repetitive ... it has a tendency to make folks think that it is just a meandering jam, which it could be, but if so, they certainly are very well tuned to each other, which is not always a very good trait found in "jams" at all, but for a few minutes. When you listen to "Join Inn" and other pieces, there is a nice quiet inner self that is not about "ambient" and who gives a damn about what it is called. It's a magnificent piece of music to use for loving ... but maybe you only want Joni Mitchell to listen to during that moment! The same for the "Cosmic Jokers" album, but it makes me want to question the sensuality of a lot of people here ... who have to have lyrics while enjoying some sex? Or creating a fantasy?
WEIRD!

Epic post. Bravo!
I don't think that Affenstunde was meaningless.
Florian Fricke had the formal music education and it's obvious that he is developing the piece of music.
And don't forget there was the first Ash Ra Tempel album before 7 Up and all that Leary staff.
And the second track on this album is quite atmospheric compostion.
Truely I couldn't be sure if Eno heard Affenstunde or Ash Ra Tempel or Zeit by Tangerine Dream, but I'm sure that the idea of ambient was in the air in that times.
The difference is German accent of krautrock and English accent of Eno.
I'm not dumb sure and insisting - anyway, I was glad to read your thoughts on this matter.
I could also add that later Eno was much interesed in what other musicians doing.
I saw him live in Moscow back in 2005 and he played a kind of ethnic metal with Rashied Taha and... Steve HillageSmile
Before it in the second half of the 80s he closely worked with Russian rock musicians here. Truely he only published one or two albums on his label, but there were much interaction and I think that Brian is an open minded person.

Edited by Sergey Lenkov - May 27 2013 at 12:49
Sergey Lenkov View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 08:53
Interview by Bettina Waldthausen, the widow of Florian Ficke.
She opens some detailes of his biography - story of Moog buying, dramatic change of style in the 90s and why some material isn't published or remastered - simply there's no money for it

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2013 at 13:01

Fabulous ... absolutely fabulous and then some.

Listening to the movement
in the stillness.
Listening to the sound
in the stillness.
This leads to the experience
of what vibration itself truly is.
FF

And, to me, this is what "music" is all about ... and it is not about "progressive" or "rock'n'roll" or "classical" ... and in the end, we do not know .. what "real music" is, and this is what I have been talking about when it comes to the "improvisation" thread ... in the arts ... what it leads to, is the discovery of your inner vibration ... which can help you define yourself in ANY art that you apply yourself to.

The deeper one does that, the more spiritual it all becomes.

The interesting thing in this article is Eberhard Schoenner getting some credit, when his music stopped being electronic altogether as time went on ... and his electronic excursions were far more interesting and better than his other musics. "Trance-Formation" is a must album for everyone that not only likes some music with "spirit" but also define how well one can blend different kinds of music and experiences. Andy Summers and Gregorian Chants is a fabulous combination, even if he would never do this again!

I wish that PA could add this article to the links on the interview with Florian that is on file here ... it would help create a much better and more solid archive. Like the wife would not know as much, if not more!

Edited by moshkito - September 01 2013 at 13:04
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2013 at 18:28
I recall Eberhard Schoener's Video Magic album that had Sumner & Summers on it being pretty good, but I haven't heard it in ages. I believe it has never had a proper CD reissue.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2013 at 18:44
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Fabulous ... absolutely fabulous and then some.

Listening to the movement
in the stillness.
Listening to the sound
in the stillness.
This leads to the experience
of what vibration itself truly is.  You are using the word vibration and I don't totally understand the word usage applied to the description of what you choose to explain. Although I have experienced what you describe for some 40 years , I am left speechless and consider it unknown territory for the most part..and that's after visiting this other place everyday. On the Eberhard Schonner album..Meditation , it is stated that some folks get into a meditative state, may enter a place that is too far away....maybe a black hole? as I'm attempting to use a visionary, and they never come back. They appear to be in a coma and it happens when a musician improvises like Ravi Shankar or John McLaughlin do with ethnic style. You don't get completely sucked in , but it is "trance like" and hypnotic along with a feeling you get from a medicine man or a spell that has been cast upon you. That enters my mind a bit because the inward trance contains some vibe that feels dark and scary. It's good to touch this darkness and express musicially to others without losing touch with reality yourself. The only vibration I know comes from a huge P.A. system on a massive stage , but I probably miss your point if it's in relation to the spiritual path due to my lack of knowledge.  
FF

And, to me, this is what "music" is all about ... and it is not about "progressive" or "rock'n'roll" or "classical" ... and in the end, we do not know .. what "real music" is, and this is what I have been talking about when it comes to the "improvisation" thread ... in the arts ... what it leads to, is the discovery of your inner vibration ... which can help you define yourself in ANY art that you apply yourself to.

And this is very true regarding many different observations of this subject matter. One is a theory and a concept based on education reaching a level where a person is able to think for themselves. What society tends to do is place a label on that thinking process, tagging it as unorthodox teachings and lacking because it is not traditional. Musician's who are raised within that environment often find their minds cluttered with the names of notes, positions, and theory related sequences...and they don't improvise with a universal tone because they are talking to themselves ..like instructions or a direct order cemented in their head from a traditional music professsor. This does not compliment the musical inward mind state of improvisation. Many great improvisationalists crossed paths with this encounter and understood that scattered thought and too much pre-planning with theory concepts and positions were distracting from natural awareness to the unknown state. Although the awareness is only surface to the zone, musicians are connected to it strongly to express a sound or art form. .  

The deeper one does that, the more spiritual it all becomes.

The interesting thing in this article is Eberhard Schoenner getting some credit, when his music stopped being electronic altogether as time went on ... and his electronic excursions were far more interesting and better than his other musics. "Trance-Formation" is a must album for everyone that not only likes some music with "spirit" but also define how well one can blend different kinds of music and experiences. Andy Summers and Gregorian Chants is a fabulous combination, even if he would never do this again!

I wish that PA could add this article to the links on the interview with Florian that is on file here ... it would help create a much better and more solid archive. Like the wife would not know as much, if not more!
This is all very interesting to me. I've read your posts several times. You have a lot to offer and I appreciate the teachings.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2013 at 14:02

Originally posted by toddler toddler wrote:

You are using the word vibration and I don't totally understand the word usage applied to the description of what you choose to explain. Although I have experienced what you describe for some 40 years , I am left speechless and consider it unknown territory for the most part..and that's after visiting this other place everyday.

That was from the poem, not mine, btw.

may enter a place that is too far away....maybe a black hole? as I'm attempting to use a visionary, and they never come back. They appear to be in a coma and it happens when a musician improvises like Ravi Shankar or John McLaughlin do with ethnic style.

Before, I found that "music" could also do this, I was a much more avid reader and student of the inner thing, and I have NEVER LOST that light, dark, or sense. And I hope I never lose it, because it is the only "light" that keeps me alive ... not even the music, the art or a loved one ...

And I went "looking" for this information, because I could hear some music inside me, that I have NOT YET FOUND ... and I have come to know by "feel" what it is, and what it tells me.

This is the reason why the majority of "popular" and "fanboy" or "fangirl" stuff does not faze me at all, and I some folks here get upset that I am trashing their own livelihood ... well, yes ... but more than that ... I am making a suggestion that one could learn far more ... way more ... from more depth, and less advertising!

However, many folks here, expect to get the Cliff Notes version of ... "experience" ... and this is another issue altogether. My article is from a teaching/acting/experiential format, that most folks here can not relate to, but instead of seeing that, it is an immediate threat to their idealism. I have no ideas ... I just have a resonable idea of what it is I am seeing, and the rest is useless and will be gone down the toilet tomorrow, or the next day!

... but it is "trance like" and hypnotic along with a feeling you get from a medicine man or a spell that has been cast upon you. That enters my mind a bit because the inward trance contains some vibe that feels dark and scary. It's good to touch this darkness and express musicially to others without losing touch with reality yourself.

IT'S NOT DARK for everyone! IT IS DARK, for those that associate that "unknown" as something that is wrong and that we are not to learn or see, or find out from! And that has been the source of most religions to try and gain control over most people by telling them what to do, and make themselves bigger than you or I or anyone else can see or do!

Start thinking of it as the "light" ... or ask the Dalai Lama, if you have any questions!

They are not totally wrong, but let's say that the translations are horrendous, and many folks would rather put me down, instead of looking at the translations themselves ... that is a voice that is not likely to ever be able to enjoy, appreciate and live the spiritual life of many of the things that we can see and discuss here, and which "improvisation" is ALSO a part in meditation! IF you don't remember that, you will get to the end of the road and have to get rid of the box that gets rid of the boxes ... and you are stuck, as Peter Nelson would say!

I also like to joke that the semantics are the boxes, by the way, because they are the worst way to show you ... what really took place!

This is all very interesting to me. I've read your posts several times. You have a lot to offer and I appreciate the teachings.

Thanks. I can not say they are "teachings" ... I can say they are the truest and most important things and feelings I know ... and I always feel the need to share them ... but if some folks can not find the pearls amidst the swill for everyone else ... I won't blame them, I won't throw any stones ... but they will live a rather sad, empty life inside ... and hope that they favorite metal, or progressive helps them for a few years!

Edited by moshkito - September 03 2013 at 14:03
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2013 at 12:41
Hi,

About the "unknown" and such.

Many many many many many many books on the subject. Carlos Castaneda has described it best as "unknown" and "unknowable" ... but these might not be a good desctiption of them. Things like the various Bardo's and Books of the Dead (of which PV is one, by the way!).

Comparing all these with John Lilly (Center of the Cyclone), Robert Monroe (Journey series is very good!), Carlos in the later stages of his work, as the early work is too weird and strange, Saint Germain literature, and many other mystics over the hundreds of years from Crowley to Fortune to many others ... up to and including the Bardo's and the Books of the Dead ... all of these discuss the "unknown" and the "unknowable", in one form or another.

The problem is, social conditioning that doesn't like to see this in the public ... and thus the stories that have changed what you feel inside ... and SEE ... to something that you are told is the truth! Thus, many of the "God" stories, are nowhere near the ability possible for you to find out ... what it means to you! As such, your ability to know what the "father and I" are ... is impossible ... you are too far removed, with no teachers. And way too many clever folks to confuse you silly ... which is what the media does to you!

The truth/trick, in the end, is that there are no teachers, and you have to learn to do all this alone ... and all of the stories are about people that did it alone and no one understood what they said. Well, you could say that the media made a point of saying that they did not like someone they did not understand, either!

Now you have to make a call, if the innner self interests you ... and if you want/need to expose it within an art form that is satisfying to you. You see this a lot in Daevid Allen, Florian Fricke, Frank Perry, and a handful of other folks out there ... and when you compare the work they do, to the "commercial music" (as Vangelis says), you will find that ... there is a lot of vacuous stuff out there ... and you do not need lyrics to even tell you that ... thus, you know why I dismiss so much music ... progressive or not ... because, as Dean says ... it's just pop music!

But there is a lot of other stuff out there that is NOT just pop music! And there are a lot of folks that see something else in music ... and it ain't a lyric or some hit song!

To me, many of the "progressive" things that made the whole shtick well known, was not pop music ... but the media would not want you to know that they were wrong all along and that Tangerine Dream did not sound like washing machine music! (famous line from the early days to give you an idea!)

Edited by moshkito - September 07 2013 at 15:35
www.pedrosena.com
Sergey Lenkov View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 07:27
Some new information and possibilty to listen and to see something new
fragments from film "Kailash" about travel of Florian and Frank Fiedler to Tibet with Popol Vuh music:

Full film SEI Still http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6km-c4VFTNg with Popol Vuh music

Long interview with Fichelscher - much new information about Florian and Popol Vuh

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 12:19

Some new information and possibilty to listen and to see something new
fragments from film "Kailash" about travel of Florian and Frank Fiedler to Tibet with Popol Vuh music:

Will listen to it when I get home.

Toddler, I have never really "compared" these folks and what they do. I just know inside and can feel it, that they have a connection to something else, that is not a lyric or Ayn Rand, or something else so pretentious to convince you that it is worth while to buy and make them famous.

I have not had a chance to check McLaughlin properly, as what he does has been very nice, but never really "clicked" with me. Maybe it was the early work, that didn't click, because some of the stuff he does now and improvisations are very fine indeed.

Mystic work, is NOT invisible. It is all a matter of that person "channeling" it well enough, but there is an issue with it, as there was with a lot of the channeling that was around in the New Age days a few years back. There are just as many hacks as there are good ones, and the problem is ... how do you know the difference. Some of them speak a good game, but say absolutely nothing, but they have a good song that is number one and sell a book that did get to number one, and YOU BELIEVE he's right and I'm not! (so to speak!)

That's an issue with advertising, and one's ability to "know" their inner self, and the main reason why I did not like Marshall McLuhan in the early days when he confused people with the media is the message, and it meant the message was meaningless ... and WE BELIEVED IT, because it sold. The media has its own message, but is NOT the message of the artist and NEVER will be, and this is where we get into issues here. I do not think that people understand this difference. PA is great, and very good for each of these musicians, but PA is not the music! We forget that, and neither is the media. Thus the media is not, in most cases the message, otherwise, why would you need a band? Or a book? Or a Play? Or a Priest? Or the media?

All it tells you is how much the control of the masses has developed. 500 years ago, all this individualistic thinking was considered anti-social and anti-establishment and totally pagan and hedonistic and evil. Today, we, AT LEAST, know how these words were distorted and hurt.

Edited by moshkito - February 16 2014 at 12:22
www.pedrosena.com
fusionfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 11:22
One of my favourite bands:IM Der Garten Pharaos,Aguirre,Das Hoelied Salomos,Ensjager und Siebenjager are on top of my list and I'm eager to listen to Affenstunde I ordered 3 days ago.
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 09:01
Originally posted by fusionfreak fusionfreak wrote:

One of my favourite bands:IM Der Garten Pharaos,Aguirre,Das Hoelied Salomos,Ensjager und Siebenjager are on top of my list and I'm eager to listen to Affenstunde I ordered 3 days ago.

I pretty much grew up with Popol Vuh from day one and their first album, and I think the sequence of work is much more interesting, than a simple listen to things out of the blue. The much later choirs and voices make a lot more sense after you hear the early material, and how the choirs all of a sudden turned into chants, and not just voices in a choir.

You can see/feel the internal feelings in the work right from the start. At least I do, and there is nothing dark in it, though some folks thinki it scary because of the cover and the suggestive nature of the band's name. A book of the dead, is not something that we want to know about, or experience, because we fear it hugely!
www.pedrosena.com
charles_ryder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2014 at 05:14
I like Herzog's films, and I like music from thic films. Florian was a great composer.
om mani padme hum
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 10:28
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

It was actually our dear Finnish friend Eetu that made me revisit Popol Vuh with his recent review stint.
This one tends to be overlooked, which is such a shame:
Popol Vuh - Das Hohelied Salomos CD (album) cover

DAS HOHELIED SALOMOS

Popol Vuh

Krautrock

3.69 | 42 ratings

Thank you for mentioning this David. I noted the Wahwah LP reissues last autumn and grabbed other than "In den Gärten Pharaos", as I didn't want to pay 40€ for an album with great B-side for me but otherwise not so interesting. I was sad that this album was not inlcuded on the reissues, but feel gratitude what was given. Against all odds I occured to have an affair with a lovely redhaired hippie girl during those days, and burned this + Hosianna Mantra for our intimate dearest moments. Infatuation often turns to hatred, but luckily with us morphed back to friendship with mutual respect. The memories of ecstatic moments remain with these sacred sounds as I sail towards unclear future on the tides of time.

melotron98 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 12:35

So what about you people out there - anyone into this band? 

Personal faves include:

Popol Vuh... I know it for about a year and In den Garten Pharaos is my favourite one. A masterpiece of krautrock that takes the listener in a 40-minute journey where the only limit is your imagination... That ecstasy during listenning Vuh where Florian Fricke did an awesome job on organs. I cannot describe what I feel when I listen to this album. I think is is similar to another krautrock classic by Ash Ra Tempel (we should mention that Manuel Göttsching was 19 when he recorded this piece of pure psychodelia):

I like Hosianna Mantra too. The rest posted I have on my PC and I never remember to try them, maybe today I'll do that. :D

Edited by melotron98 - May 02 2014 at 12:37
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 22:55
I was going to say, a Popol Vuh thread I haven't participated in?? But I posted here like a year and a half ago.  So.

My current favourite might well be Das Hohelied Salomos
frogbs View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 09:15
Music aside, I love the cover art of In Den Garten Pharaos so much.  Hard to believe it's over 40 years old; the design of it still feels modern.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 14:00
Originally posted by Eetu Pellonpää Eetu Pellonpää wrote:

It was actually our dear Finnish friend Eetu that made me revisit Popol Vuh with his recent review stint.
This one tends to be overlooked, which is such a shame:
Popol Vuh - Das Hohelied Salomos CD (album) cover

DAS HOHELIED SALOMOS

Popol Vuh

Krautrock

3.69 | 42 ratings

Thank you for mentioning this David. I noted the Wahwah LP reissues last autumn and grabbed other than "In den Gärten Pharaos", as I didn't want to pay 40€ for an album with great B-side for me but otherwise not so interesting. I was sad that this album was not inlcuded on the reissues, but feel gratitude what was given. Against all odds I occured to have an affair with a lovely redhaired hippie girl during those days, and burned this + Hosianna Mantra for our intimate dearest moments. Infatuation often turns to hatred, but luckily with us morphed back to friendship with mutual respect. The memories of ecstatic moments remain with these sacred sounds as I sail towards unclear future on the tides of time.

Sorry Eetu, but I seem to have forgotten about my own threadLOL What a pillock I am!
Nice story btw -I have a thing for redheads too. Last time it was the other way around though, as I was the one who got seduced. I can't remember much of the opening meet - other than it was on some dancefloor, and she looked like Salma Hayek only with red hair (WowieApprove). After that things are a bit hazy, but I do remember getting back to her apartment doing the horizontal jig - after spilling Bailey's all over her furniture.....Ahem....Oh well, I woke up, fully, and realised what was lurking at the end of her bed. Something which had been staring at me the whole time: dolls! I mean 100s of dolls!LOL I felt like I was in that horrorflick Child's Play surrounded by ChuckysConfusedLOL Suffice to say, that I ran out of the place like my ass was on fire!

Seems like you managed to deal with your little fling a whole lot smoother. You go get em Don JuanBig smile
Anyways, being with a woman who actually appreciates this kind of music is a score all by itself. I mean, Popol Vuh and a chick?!? You got it made my friend!LOL
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 14:03
Originally posted by melotron98 melotron98 wrote:

So what about you people out there - anyone into this band? 

Personal faves include:

Popol Vuh... I know it for about a year and In den Garten Pharaos is my favourite one. A masterpiece of krautrock that takes the listener in a 40-minute journey where the only limit is your imagination... That ecstasy during listenning Vuh where Florian Fricke did an awesome job on organs. I cannot describe what I feel when I listen to this album. I think is is similar to another krautrock classic by Ash Ra Tempel (we should mention that Manuel Göttsching was 19 when he recorded this piece of pure psychodelia):

I like Hosianna Mantra too. The rest posted I have on my PC and I never remember to try them, maybe today I'll do that. :D

Great taste in music dudeThumbs Up Makes me wanna put it on right now - as well as that Ash Ra Tempel album. Krautrock is my thing....big time!
If you like both Ash Ra Tempel and Manuel in his early years, then you gotta check out The Cosmic Jokers. Pretty much a who's who of the scene at the time, heavily drugged up on LSD - without any of them knowing - and then subsequently taped during some wild jams.....again without them knowing. 

Edited by Guldbamsen - May 07 2014 at 14:04
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 14:11
Anyone else who loves this strange tribal album?
Pretty obvious it's the one that came before 'Pharaohs' imo. Uses much of the same ambiances, those stretched out surfaces of sound with added tumultuous bongos. This is almost certainly NOT the one you wanna put on in female companyLOL

- Douglas Adams
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 14:31
Where should I start with Popol Vuh? I've listened to Hosianna Mantra, but wasn't thrilled (at least on first listen).

Edited by Polymorphia - May 07 2014 at 14:31
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>