Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRolling Stone discovers Genesis....FINALLY!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 09:19
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Out of all shameful artists, you choose those?

Gaga is not half bad. 
Gag me with a spoon.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 09:17
Out of all shameful artists, you choose those?

Gaga is not half bad. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 09:13
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ As someone has already pointed out, Rollingstone was a mag whose editorial policy was directed to  Rock, not to Prog. Actually, RollingStone was one of the hystorical "fortress" of Rock purists. As you know, Rock purists were / are not like Prog. On the contrary, they hated our beloved genre no less than e.g. the fans of Punk. So I consider this RollingStone's article as a "rehabilitation" of Prog. Get it?

(...) Prog suddenly made a comeback (especially in Scandinavia) (...)
...and also especially in Poland, Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, France, Spain, Portugal, USA, Mexico, Argentina, Peru and so on.
That only works if they throw Lady Gaga, Fifty Cent and Beyonce out with the trash.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 09:08

^ As someone has already pointed out, Rollingstone was a mag whose editorial policy was directed to  Rock, not to Prog. Actually, RollingStone was one of the hystorical "fortress" of Rock purists. As you know, Rock purists were / are not like Prog. On the contrary, they hated our beloved genre no less than e.g. the fans of Punk. So I consider this RollingStone's article as a "rehabilitation" of Prog. Get it?

...and also especially in Poland, Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, France, Spain, Portugal, USA, Mexico, Argentina, Peru and so on.

Just because a progressive album was released there, doesn't mean there is a "comeback" and the country is flourishing with popular prog bands.

Bandcamp albums from these places isn't quite the scale for this. 

Edited by Horizons - October 17 2014 at 09:09
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 09:01

Nope but then that is hardly some in depth article about prog is it?

The late seventies/early eighties  was an absolute pain for me (and I imagine for many prog fans) but what I got used to was the fact that we could not rely on any rock magazines for decent articles about prog. In England there were a few decent journalists like Chris Welch but then he was probably considered some kind of dinosaur as well. The 90's though was very interesting as we saw a comeback of proper bands who wrote and produced their own songs. The 'plastic eighies' was no more. Prog suddenly made a comeback (especially in Scandinavia) and all this happened independently of magazines like RS. Anyway if RS ever writes a decent article about this and the history of prog please let me know.
Hopefully, RS will know what geographical area is referred to as Scandinavia. They probably think that Anekendoten is a country.

Edited by SteveG - October 17 2014 at 09:18
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 02:38

Edited by Svetonio - October 17 2014 at 03:15
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 01:13

Nope but then that is hardly some in depth article about prog is it?

The late seventies/early eighties  was an absolute pain for me (and I imagine for many prog fans) but what I got used to was the fact that we could not rely on any rock magazines for decent articles about prog. In England there were a few decent journalists like Chris Welch but then he was probably considered some kind of dinosaur as well. The 90's though was very interesting as we saw a comeback of proper bands who wrote and produced their own songs. The 'plastic eighies' was no more. Prog suddenly made a comeback (especially in Scandinavia) and all this happened independently of magazines like RS. Anyway if RS ever writes a decent article about this and the history of prog please let me know.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 23:23
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

^ OK, whatever makes the the mill wheel grind. Everything is subjective though Steve, even Lady Gaga and Dylan. I think Gaga's output in the last five years is a lot better than Dylan's, let's see how she will be faring in 30 years from now.... Pinch

Yeah, but he will be remembered as one of the best American Poets in the 20th century ... Lady Googoo is just another singer out there!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 23:21
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I prefer Hustler magazine myself.

Yep ... at least we know that the pictures are not fake, and the stars are still people.

RS was one of the first "People" magazines for rock music. The guy that put it together was more interested in his star rock friends and parties, than he was in the music.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 17:56
^yeah pretty true, and realize one of the reasons for their general friendly behavior regarding the music industry trend, bingo!

Edited by Rick Robson - October 16 2014 at 18:05

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 17:46
^Because they encourage 'follow the leader' behavior and determine what is culturally hip instead of the other way around.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 17:39
If there's something I never understand is why so much importance is given to purists/critics/reviewers articles, for me they are commonly overrated, and not just in RS.

Edited by Rick Robson - October 16 2014 at 17:47

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 15:49
^The mill wheel just fell over.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 15:47
And it is time for the matador to dance with the blind shoe-maker!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 15:35
[QUOTE=Chris S]. I think Gaga's output in the last five years is a lot better than Dylan's.

Your opinion is subjective Chris.

I quoted facts. The mill wheel has stopped turning.

Edited by SteveG - October 16 2014 at 15:53
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 14:11
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 13:42

Originally posted by Anoraknok Anoraknok wrote:

Rolling stone just promotes the film. Don't be that optimistic. 
Howsoever, Rollingstone has made a step forward for a "rehabilitation" of progressive rock.

although this is not required. Its only in the general populace view that all these stupid mags subscribe to that this is required. Ignore it and just be happy that you listen to great music.
Of course it's required. Not for us who are already the fans of progressive rock, but for wider audience, for popularization of the genre, it is required.

It doesn't need to be popularized. There is so much prog around its coming out my ears. If only I had an infinitite amount of time and money. Prog is an elite passtime. The populace don't care for it. Songs over 5 minutes with no hummable tunes. Prog was only going to be popular at a particular time and that time has long gone. What hasn't gone are the bands and the passionate die hards like us.
I strongly disagree. Our beloved genre is not a sweet little thing in an old scrapbook of a grumpy old man's childhood; it's actually a living genre that is now global, with the ocean of fantastic bands and it deserves to be popularized, and it goes well with that "rehabilitation" by Rolingstone.
Prog can be "in" again. It just needs a strong propaganda in the mags such Rollingstone.

Propaganda' is a terrible word (as is 'rehabilitation' for that matter) to use in this context although I realise that English is not your first language. (...)
LOL, okay, let's imagine that I replaced the word 'propaganda' with the word 'advertising' (although it is the same thing), but I stand by everything I said in my previous post.

that makes more sense in that context

I still hate the word 'rehabilitation' thoughWink
You can hate the word if it will make you happy, but the word "rehabilitation" very accurately describes what happened.

How exactly? Good art becomes bad art and then becomes good again. Makes total sense on some far away planet.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 13:36
^ OK, whatever makes the the mill wheel grind. Everything is subjective though Steve, even Lady Gaga and Dylan. I think Gaga's output in the last five years is a lot better than Dylan's, let's see how she will be faring in 30 years from now. But who are you/we to determine which bands get exposure and which don't? RS is a business , a successful one at that but true  some of us do not have to like it. I share more disdain for the likes of NME, Melody Maker who crucified prog bands late 70's/early 80's only cos they were sh*t scared and clueless about the Punk revelution at the time. I mean why not embrace bothPinch
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 10:30
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Forgive but not forget eh? they are as much part of history as is Steve Hackett's Cured. InescapableSmile
The Black Plague was a part of history too, Chris. Does that mean we should accept it and give it a pass. Or the Great Inquistion?

Compatable tragedies, No.

But lying and obfuscation of facts does not deserve to be given a pass. RS made their money with record company 'endorsements' and 'incentives' from other parties in order to portray then current  music trends in ways that were far from true, and the fact that they pander to lady Ga Ga while reviewing a Dylan album in order to appear fair and balanced in the same issue should say it all. I started  reading RS when it first came out with the famous Lennon interview and their trashing of Led Zeppelin's first album was the first thing that set off warning bells in my mind: Do these people even have a clue of the current rock music trends? No. Not anymore than they do now.

Forgive? Maybe. But that would take an extraordinary act of contrition that RS could never pull off.

Edited by SteveG - October 16 2014 at 17:11
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 09:34

I may be the only person who doesn't give a toss what Rolling Stone thinksSleepy

Been saying that for 30 years!

It is one of the least useful music toilet papers around!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>