Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnd Then There Were Three: Genesis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 22:38
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

I  do not what to say here above to be honest. this seems fruitless. The Wall and Animals is Waters and wow pros and cons of hitchhiking plus amused to death, these, two of my overall best albums to date!

About Animals, it IS one of my favourite PF albums (No 2, or perhaps even tied at No 1 with Wish you Were Here)... however, even though the band members themselves have spoken about how Waters control over the band was tightening by then, I don't totally buy the idea that it was an album totally dominated by him... yet. Yeah, he is the only writer on almost all the song... but that's almost, and thee one song he shares credits is Dogs, which takes almost half the time of the album, and for me is the very best song on the album, and as far as I understand musically was mainly a Gilmour song (but as often happens with Pink Floyd, Waters gets a share of the writing credits on most songs because of the lyrics... so it is difficult to actually know in which songs he actually contributed to the music). As for The Wall... it's a great album in it's own merit, but it's still a step down from the previous albums for me, and indeed the best song in it for me is Comfortably Numb... once again, co-written with Gilmour (suposedly once again, the music being mainly by him). As for Waters solo albums, they do have some really nice songs, but it shows he needed some help to make them really great albums (except for Amused to Death, which is indeed his best solo album... but even that one has a few weaker songs... and in some guitar solos, I really wish Gilmour had been there to make them really special).
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 23:49
^ Off track but what is the hype about Water's and his dominance around this time. More power to him, genius, that he is. And Pros and Cons and ATD, more epic albums. ATD on a par with Animals and The Wall ( almost ;-)...)

Gilmour's influence is just fine as is Mason and Wright's contribution on those PF piecesThumbs Up

Edited by Chris S - November 20 2014 at 23:50
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 00:17
I think ATTWT is pretty much excellent overall. The year is 1978, and having discovered this album (and the following few I mention) sometime throughout 1988, along with Yes, ELP, etc. I think that they still portray an essence of 'true Prog' within their approach. I firmly, don't believe that 'shorter songs' necessarily equate to less Prog. I think it's just a gradual slide into what was 'required' by the demands of the masses. Adaptation seems to be the excuse, and it definitely would've been difficult for amazing musicians to come to terms with this trend.   None of us were in a successful band during this time, therefore, who can blame them for morphing into what us Progheads deem 'sellout'.......?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 03:00
I tend to think there was still an intensity about Genesis at this this time and you can hear it in the playing. They did however deliberately try to distance themselves from the early Genesis approach to create something that would be more accessible. People forget that Afterglow was a minor radio hit in the UK and it was this that started to move Genesis in a more pop direction if you want to call it that. Duke was basically a split album of prog and pop and showed they were still hedging their bets. Anyway I like both albums and there is no reason why they should have been doing the same things they were doing 5 years earlier especially as the two most adventurous members of the band had now departed.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 09:50
^Yeah, I hate Afterglow, by the way. But I just listened to it (ATWT) again. The vocals are terribly ponderous. I like some of the timbres from the keyboards, but that's about it. Boredom is what I greet it with, I'm afraid. There are bits of interesting stuff, but it's always bits, not unlike what you get from a lot of Indie bands today. Knowing your delight for keyboard heavy material I can squint and see some of its appeal for you. As mainly a guitar fan, there isn't much of intrigue in it for me, though.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 09:59
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

^Yeah, I hate Afterglow, by the way. But I just listened to it (ATWT) again. The vocals are terribly ponderous. I like some of the timbres from the keyboards, but that's about it. Boredom is what I greet it with, I'm afraid. There are bits of interesting stuff, but it's always bits, not unlike what you get from a lot of Indie bands today. Knowing your delight for keyboard heavy material I can squint and see some of its appeal for you. As mainly a guitar fan, there isn't much of intrigue in it for me, though.

Ok but also Collins drumming is amongst some of his best on tracks like Down and Out , Motherlode and Burning Rope

you are right that I tend not to care if guitar is that heavily apparent although I do like Rush and Iron Maiden so its not all keyboard heavy music in my collectionSmile
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 12:57
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Ok but also Collins drumming is amongst some of his best on tracks like Down and Out , Motherlode and Burning Rope

you are right that I tend not to care if guitar is that heavily apparent although I do like Rush and Iron Maiden so its not all keyboard heavy music in my collectionSmile
Certainly, I expect we both have some appreciation all instruments (except for cow bell) . Phil's drums are exceptional on this as well as many other albums, I do agree. And whatever the transition, the three musicians do not all of the sudden become untalented just because I don't like any particular part of their output (although Rutherford's lead guitar on that album was very pedestrian). I should have said in my previous post that the album was better than what I had recalled. My most major complaint is the songwriting on that album in my mind is not too good by neither Prog standards nor Pop standards, which is supposed to be their strong point, and that brings us back to the transitional thing.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 13:02
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The drums on "Down and Out" kill! Thumbs Up
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 13:05
I think this album had a bad rap for the fact that it produced a single ... period,
denoting to many that Genesis was now a commercial band.

I like the album for the storytelling, as simplistic as it was .. I still found it to be fun.
Also I was a little biased because i'd recently gotten hold of (and read) a huge old treasury of Little Nemo Adventures in Slumberland :)
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 13:53
There is little (possibly nothing) on the album to interest a symphonic prog ear.....it DOES have a lot to offer your average pop-picker on the street.....
I am sometimes in a strange - short-song mood - so I put on Suppers ready or maybe a side or two of TFTO Big smile
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 20:16
Down and Out is one of my  favorite tracks.  Not being a drummer, it seems to be a challenging song for that.  Since I have never seen a clip of Collins playing it live, the Youtube link below shows a worthy effort by this drummer on that song.

Panucleus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 15:29
I'm quite happy that many here like this album...It's a sweet album with memorable melodies and week spots. I certainly agree it doesn't deserve the negative feedback it gets, probably because it's not so ambitious as previous albums by the band (Gabriel-era mainly). Also, sonically speaking and to my ears of course, it sounds kind of 'reduced'. It's a different album definitely, but it can hold it's own, and I find myself coming back to it from time to time for a few songs.
jwcasey View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 07:17
Yes, I like it a lot - though I also like everything up until We Can't Dance, so I'm very pro-Genesis in general! 
I think that some of the not-so-amazing songs could easily have had their constituent parts arranged together into longer songs, giving a different vibe. It's an interesting choice they made at the time.
The recent ATTWT remix was a little too toppy for me, but the extra low punch is brilliant on Down & Out. 
Relayer09 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 17:11
It's one of my favorite Genesis albums and as some others have said earlier in this thread, it creates a special atmosphere. I does this for me as well, whether it's the music itself or nostalgia on my part. The album always takes me back to a very happy part of my teen years very near Christmas. When the first snow of the year comes this album always gets a spin. Smile

Edited by Relayer09 - December 05 2014 at 17:12
If you lose your temper, you've lost the arguement. -Proverb
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 17:24
^ Snowbound.....
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2015 at 12:40
'And Then There Were Three' was the first proper album I ever bought. This is the one that started my love affair with the band (still going strong after 36 years). I still rate the album very highly - Undertow in particular is one of my favourite Genesis tracks ever. The production is brilliant - so vast sounding. I also think the cover art is great - very atmospheric.
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2015 at 14:07
everybody SHOULD get on the new Hackett CD - that is AWESOME, with some of the best guitar work I've heard in ages! To lose such a talent was the death knell of genesis and they sank like a stone from the sea of prog as soon as Hackett left, never to return unfortunately !
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2015 at 15:39
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

everybody SHOULD get on the new Hackett CD - that is AWESOME, with some of the best guitar work I've heard in ages! To lose such a talent was the death knell of genesis and they sank like a stone from the sea of prog as soon as Hackett left, never to return unfortunately !

There is some truth in this. But I think there was a tailing off of quality rather than the plummet that you suggest. As discussed above And Then There Were Three is a very good album, much better than most of Hackett's solo albums. I agree that Wolflight is a great album - one of his best, but he has produced several patchy albums in the past. Duke is also a great album (the best post-Hackett album) and is arguably as good as Wind and Wuthering. I also think that Abacab is a very strong album (Dodo, Lurker, Me and Sarah Jane etc have strong prog credentials). The following albums see a gradual decline, but there are still standout moments on even these albums. Sure, post-Gabriel followed by post-Hackett Genesis marked a transition away from their classic 70s prog style. But the work they produced still has tremendous merit - which brings us back to the delights of And Then There Were Three.
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2015 at 17:14
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

I  do not what to say here above to be honest. this seems fruitless. The Wall and Animals is Waters and wow pros and cons of hitchhiking plus amused to death, these, two of my overall best albums to date!

About Animals, it IS one of my favourite PF albums (No 2, or perhaps even tied at No 1 with Wish you Were Here)... however, even though the band members themselves have spoken about how Waters control over the band was tightening by then, I don't totally buy the idea that it was an album totally dominated by him... yet. Yeah, he is the only writer on almost all the song... but that's almost, and thee one song he shares credits is Dogs, which takes almost half the time of the album, and for me is the very best song on the album, and as far as I understand musically was mainly a Gilmour song (but as often happens with Pink Floyd, Waters gets a share of the writing credits on most songs because of the lyrics... so it is difficult to actually know in which songs he actually contributed to the music). As for The Wall... it's a great album in it's own merit, but it's still a step down from the previous albums for me, and indeed the best song in it for me is Comfortably Numb... once again, co-written with Gilmour (suposedly once again, the music being mainly by him). As for Waters solo albums, they do have some really nice songs, but it shows he needed some help to make them really great albums (except for Amused to Death, which is indeed his best solo album... but even that one has a few weaker songs... and in some guitar solos, I really wish Gilmour had been there to make them really special).
Dellinger, I understand why you said that, but aww I do not think the same, Roger Water was brilliant at writing lyrics and overall show and music production. Here is a fact, Endless River, the last and only vocal track is not as good in my opinion to the rest of the instrumental tracks. Also Amused to Death with Jeff Beck among others is indeed a brilliant album but that was not the only brilliant album, pls have a listen to this album (Eric Clapton n guitars here, never been a fan of his before this) the guitar tune kills me here awww HeartRoger Waters - 5:06AM (Every Strangers Eyes) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6_RnKjKLJ0 xxxxx
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2015 at 17:21
Now back to Phil Collins, while Genesis were auditioning new singers (after Gabriel left), Collins at night was recording and working on Brand X.  Brand X Old Grey Whistle Test And So To F 1979  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XauOTo-BKSY xxxxx
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>