Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy so much Genesis love?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2015 at 17:39
Steve is correct.

HackettFan dont. haha
I really love both parts of TAAB... if someone ask me, it could be in a dictionary as a definition for "climax" or "epic conclusion" (damn it, there is a word for this and I cant remember! Angry )

Back to Genesis: MAYBE the succesfull career of Peter Gabriel and Phill Collins made people wonder if their early career were good, so, its a cycle of fans, perhaps.
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
the lighthouse keepe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2015 at 17:40
Genesis live,whatever period,were the best!I saw them on numerous occasions during there career,and I also witnesed some great concerts featuring Floyd,Yes,Tull,Crimson etc,and these were all excellent,but they don't come close to Genesis live in concert!They just had the "X"factor when it came to performing live.I love prog in general and those bands I've mentioned are class,but ever since I first heard SEBTP,Genesis have always been the best!
Any period of there career I enjoy,but the Gabriel era is just about the best!Genesis Rules!
"Hello sun.Hello bird.
Hello my lady.
Hello breakfast.May I buy you
again tomorrow?"
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2015 at 19:03
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

I find them no better than a dozen bands from the 70-75 period. Trespass and Foxtrot are pretty good. The other 3 albums in that period are hit and miss. Gabriel never did much for me. His 80s stuff is pretty terrible

Name a few ? That's not a challenge, merely that I'd be interested to see what you are comparing them with.

Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2015 at 19:25
Originally posted by the lighthouse keepe the lighthouse keepe wrote:

Genesis live,whatever period,were the best!I saw them on numerous occasions during there career,and I also witnesed some great concerts featuring Floyd,Yes,Tull,Crimson etc,and these were all excellent,but they don't come close to Genesis live in concert!They just had the "X"factor when it came to performing live.I love prog in general and those bands I've mentioned are class,but ever since I first heard SEBTP,Genesis have always been the best!
Any period of there career I enjoy,but the Gabriel era is just about the best!Genesis Rules!

I'd already discovered Yes, Tull and the Moodys when SE was released. Import record store owner in Sydney suggested I have a listen and that was pretty much that. Sadly Genesis only toured Australia once and that was the Invisible Touch tour so to some extent they were a bit past it as far as I was concerned. Nonethless it was still a mighty show even though some of the material from IT and Genesis I'd have happily done without.

I'm not such an obsessive PG fan, anything from Foxtrot to Duke will do me. Hmmmm ... well other than Spot the Pigeon. Sad fact is that imo, they havn't done anything of note in damn near thirty odd years, if they are still ruling then it's time for an abdication. Smile
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2015 at 19:26
^ yeah.. let's put SWilson on the throne then ErmmLOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2015 at 22:13
Originally posted by t d wombat t d wombat wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

I find them no better than a dozen bands from the 70-75 period. Trespass and Foxtrot are pretty good. The other 3 albums in that period are hit and miss. Gabriel never did much for me. His 80s stuff is pretty terrible

Name a few ? That's not a challenge, merely that I'd be interested to see what you are comparing them with.

I'll make it the 1970-77 period because some bands started about 1973 and would be unfair to miss them out. I've got just as much enjoyment if not more from bands such as Tull, Gentle giant, Yes, Caravan, Oblivion Express, Van der graaf, Le orme, Banco, Goblin, Camel, Greenslade, Magma, Zappa, Hatfield/National Health, Deep purple, Black Sabbath, Ronnie Foster just to name a few

Edited by dr prog - August 10 2015 at 22:17
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2015 at 23:20
dunno
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2015 at 00:39
I don't know that anyone actually puts them on a pedestal above all the rest of the biggies. Rather, mostly the issue is everybody seems to have some pet project (could be VDGG, Gentle Giant, could be Krautrock, RPI etc etc) and they feel Genesis has undeservedly stolen their thunder. Fine but then you could say the same about the rest like Yes or Floyd and you won't because in your unimpeachable estimation they are rated just fine while Genesis is hideously overrated? That seems to say more about your tastes. Actually I personally do like GG more than Genesis but they are not nearly as accessible so it's hardly a surprise that Genesis are more popular. Oh and I hope nobody is going to rue the fact that Camel is not rated as highly as Genesis.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2015 at 00:52
Genesis had some advantages

1.- In the early days they had no personal ego.....All the members played for the band, not for personal glory...They were a BAND not just a collection of stars trying to be better than the rest.

2.- They combined heavy material, with pastoral tunes and complex but accessible stuff.

3.- Peter had a unique charisma.

4.- They released 5 super albums in a row, hardly anybody did this (7 with the two first Collins releases)

5.- The lyrics were superb and created a mysterious atmosphere like nobody.

6.- They didn't abused of the epics, they were able to make in 6 or 10 minutes, what others did in 25. 

7.- Peter had a great communication with the audience.

8.- They were able to play their music on stage as well as in the studio albums.

9.- They quit Prog before they became a caricature of themselves.

10.- The adult contemporary era is clearly separated from the Prog era, while most of the bands started to became a hybrid.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - August 11 2015 at 01:01

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2015 at 01:01
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

^ yeah.. let's put SWilson on the throne then ErmmLOL

Silly wabbit, he's already there.....You missed the party apparently.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2015 at 03:25
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

easy listening prog..  non-offensive.. ie... not challenging.  Easy to build up a large fanbase..

You described Renaissance and Camel , much more than Genesis, really

Though Genesis is not Art Zoyd or Magma or Henry Cow, you'd have to have some kind of bagage to get in their stuff.

Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2015 at 03:42
Well, I couldn't say it better than Iván.

I might add: for me, there are no bands that made such a long line of albums that are almost impeccable from A to Z than Genesis and Yes.
I found, when making a top 100 for this site (one of the threads) that I still had quite some Genesis (and Yes) albums on my list, but also Hackett, Banks, Phillips...
So much talent, so many great tracks.

Genesis and Yes are for me the apex of prog.
Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2015 at 04:23
Their early 70s music is complex but melodious, and their songs tell stories, some tragic, some funny. Peter Gabriel was not only a charismatic singer, he was also an actor who could bring several characters within a song to life.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2015 at 04:44
I have no idea why people try to analyse personal taste so much. There's no science to it. Some things just are as they are.

Even at their most progressive Genesis were quite accessible and listenable. There's no mystery to it.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2015 at 05:42
Because if you don't like Genesis you're not a true prog fan.
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2015 at 07:07
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I have no idea why people try to analyse personal taste so much. There's no science to it. Some things just are as they are.

That, on the other hand, is of course also true.
It happens that Genesis is tasty prog to a lot of people.
De gustibus non est disputandum.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2015 at 07:37
For me, Genesis had a magic that no other band really has. It was Nursery Cryme that drew me and a lot of it was due to the bizarre stories in the lyrics - hogweeds, people getting their heads knocked off with mallets, people cutting their toes off. As for the music, it was the climax of Musical Box that hooked me - it's still possibly the greatest ending in prog. Their run of albums from Trespass to The Lamb is only matched by Yes (The Yes Album to Going For The One) imo.
progrockdeepcuts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2015 at 08:38
It's a good question and I certainly don't have the answer. All I know is I'm tired of hearing about them and their imitators burned me out on their sound. Can't we discuss Trojan Horse or Bent Knee or something? That stuff is truly exciting. :)

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2015 at 08:57
Originally posted by Big Kid Josie Big Kid Josie wrote:

OK, I am prepared to get flamed for this but: why so much Genesis love on this forum?

I actually love Genesis's work, particularly SEBTP and the 2 post-Gabriel albums before Hackett left---TOTT and WAW.  I think they're a great 70's prog band and up there with Yes, ELP, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Rush, et al.  I get that Banks is a fine, elegant keyboardist, Collins a great prog drummer in their early days, and Hackett an original guitarist who made some beautiful, melancholy olde English ballads.  I absolutely love Entangled, Blood on the Rooftops, Carpet Crawlers, Cinema Show, etc.  I like Gabriel with Genesis, but actually like his early solo work even better.  I don't like at all what Collins turned Genesis into, but I don't hold that against the band in their 70's prime either.  I see them as 2 totally different bands, with Hackett and without him.

But I don't understand why they are lauded on this site above all those other fine 70's prog bands...can someone enlighten me?  It's not that I don't think they're a great band, just not better than the others I mentioned above... 

Early Genesis was an extraordinary band with a really unique blend of stuff at its peak with the big emphasis on the 12 strings and harmonies and occasional flute or tambourine for that pastoral English sound, Hackett's devotion to playing classical pieces on guitar as well as pioneering double-tapping stuff and atmospheric slide work, Peter Gabriel's soul-inspired voice and lyrical oddness giving it an intimacy Yes, King Crimson, ELP etc. never had. I think this video gives a good idea of how the band as a whole works.

Now, if you don't buy the stories/lyrics/vox I don't think you'll get it but if you do it's just something that a lot of the big prog bands could never really do.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2015 at 09:02
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

For me, Genesis had a magic that no other band really has. It was Nursery Cryme that drew me and a lot of it was due to the bizarre stories in the lyrics - hogweeds, people getting their heads knocked off with mallets, people cutting their toes off. As for the music, it was the climax of Musical Box that hooked me - it's still possibly the greatest ending in prog. Their run of albums from Trespass to The Lamb is only matched by Yes (The Yes Album to Going For The One) imo.

Exactly, and my personal list is even longer: Trespass -> Three Sides Live
With Yes: Debut -> 90125
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>