Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy do you own a gun?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2016 at 16:37
Like darksinger, I don't see why anyone should be made to feel they have to justify their ownership. But at the same time, I don't really give damn about the 2nd amendment. If we did away with it, I would be okay. 

While we live in a decent area, several years ago there were a fair amount of home invasions and robberies close enough to our home that we finally decided to get a couple of guns.

We bought a 9mm with hollow points for the protection part, and a .22 for the cheap practice ammo.
I figure it's more about peace of mind, and probably, hopefully, will never be necessary to use.

We'd been talking about it for a few years off and on, and seriously researched and educated ourselves on proper handling long before buying. She can handle the 9mm, and that was important to find something potentially effective enough to be protection, but not difficult to manipulate. We considered a shotgun for the unarguable stopping power, but she had difficulty handling them.

Also gives me comfort when I'm away that she has something to protect herself with. She keeps the case near her at those times.

And, since we bought them, we both have come to enjoy doing a little target practice, as well as the ritual processes of cleaning and maintaining them.

I live in Arizona, and the gun laws here and requirements to purchase, for all practical purposes don't seem to exist. You can go and buy a gun an hour if you want, plop it on your hip and go grocery shopping. You can buy thousands of rounds of ammo, and all you're likely to get are approving nods and maybe even some applause.

But I've gotta say, for all the potential for people to walk around like they're cowboys, I've only seen 2 people open carry in the 17 years I've been living here.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2016 at 17:12
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

I do not have a problem with your question. I do think "none of your business" is a viable legitimate answer and the poster should not have been disrespected and trolled by stupid comebacks about an honest answer.

One wonders why a reply is necessary if one wishes to take the 5th. "None of your business" amounts to "I don't want to talk about it", which is quite ironic for a discussion forum. I am certainly happy the poster expanded on her reply after initially going off the deep end. 

In any case, there was no "trolling" intended in my first reply (but then poor Timmy is being over-dramatic, being that he's still butt-hurt from a previous conversation). 

"If I tell you I'll have to kill you" is a stock answer from a thousand spy/detective movies and should not have caused anyone upset, let alone confusion. Next time I will affix an emoticon at the end to assure everyone my intentions are pure. Like now. LOL
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2016 at 17:35
No one has a proverbial gun to the head and has to answer the question or enter discussion here at all. Anyway, I apologise if my "Well, I found it funny, maybe do a poll to see the general consensus" response seemed disrespectful or unfriendly in any way. Humour, like tastes, is very subjective, and we all have different perspectives on things.
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2016 at 17:49
^ It's true, and yet I can also see how a person not so comfortable discussing their gun ownership would at the same time know the subject better than the rest, and would therefore have some things to say.   It must be a fine line.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2016 at 18:45
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I do not have a problem with your question. I do think "none of your business" is a viable legitimate answer and the poster should not have been disrespected and trolled by stupid comebacks about an honest answer.

One wonders why a reply is necessary if one wishes to take the 5th. "None of your business" amounts to "I don't want to talk about it", which is quite ironic for a discussion forum. I am certainly happy the poster expanded on her reply after initially going off the deep end. 

In any case, there was no "trolling" intended in my first reply (but then poor Timmy is being over-dramatic, being that he's still butt-hurt from a previous conversation). 

"If I tell you I'll have to kill you" is a stock answer from a thousand spy/detective movies and should not have caused anyone upset, let alone confusion. Next time I will affix an emoticon at the end to assure everyone my intentions are pure. Like now. LOL
Constipated much, it is always the other person with you. They went off the deep end. Most people see "none of your business" and leave it alone.LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2016 at 18:54

Most people see "none of your business" and leave it alone.LOL

Oh, I see. For you, it's rather like someone making a gutless response like "I won't vote" and then getting one's panties in a bunch when many posters mocked the reply.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2016 at 18:59
Deflection is a good strategy. have a go at it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2016 at 19:01
Perhaps we should have a vote on it. Oh wait...never mind.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2016 at 19:06
Good ideaLOL
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2016 at 07:02
I don't fully understand this background check thing, that so many gun advocates seem to object to. Can someone explain it to me?

What is their actual objection? Is it purely the fact they object to government interference and 'snooping'?

Would I be right in assuming therefore that these folks would be quite happy if an unchecked lunatic with history of schizophrenia and violent criminality moved in next door with an arsenal of military firepower, so long as their 'right' to not be verified hadn't been infringed?

Is it more complex than that? Do the rules vary state to state?
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2016 at 08:44
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I don't fully understand this background check thing, that so many gun advocates seem to object to. Can someone explain it to me?

What is their actual objection? Is it purely the fact they object to government interference and 'snooping'?

Would I be right in assuming therefore that these folks would be quite happy if an unchecked lunatic with history of schizophrenia and violent criminality moved in next door with an arsenal of military firepower, so long as their 'right' to not be verified hadn't been infringed?

The argument I usually hear is they oppose it because it'll lead to some national gun registry or something where basically all your/gun info is collected somewhere. 
Honestly I have no idea, it's just the same ol slippery slope stuff how it'll lead inevitably to Hitler. As you say just hatred/paranoia of government. 

Rules do vary state to state. Wildly actually, some have basically no gun laws, some are extremely strict. Cities also sometimes set their own rules which would probably be stricter than the average. 
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2016 at 09:22

There are some people in the US who oppose driving licenses. 

DRIVING LICENSES. 

You can imagine it's not much of a stretch to oppose background checks. 

Now these same people want drug tests for recipients of welfare. But they don't give a damn if for example a drug addict on welfare with antisocial personality disorder gets access to a AR-15. Freedom. 

There are variations state to state. But also remember this is the country where some states have considered allowing open carry of weapons in BARS. WHERE ALCOHOL IS SOLD AND CONSUMED. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 00:40
The Dalai Lama says "Gun control comes from inside."   Yeah.   No.

Thanks Lam but you seem tragically out of touch, which of course you are.   And with all due respect please take your childlike observations and shut it.   Gun control comes from controlling guns.   You wanna control people?   Good luck with that.   But thank you for your input.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 00:55
Buddhism emphasizes self-control, self-reflection; exploring and improving one's inner self, so it's coming from that perspective.

“Real gun control must start here,“ the Dalai Lama said, pointing to his heart. “More compassionate sort of feeling. Sense of respect for others’ life, others’ right. That’s the real method of gun control.”

Edited by Logan - June 21 2016 at 01:04
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 01:01
I know but you can't change other people.  Nor should one try, in the end it is misled.  He is absolutely right that true gun control has to ultimately come from a personal choice against violence.  But American's thrive on individualism and generally retreat from group thinking, and it isn't plausible to control the gun-owning population with good philosophies or intentions.   Therefore if you want to reduce gun violence you reduce guns.  It's a matter of numbers.  And urgency.   His words are meaningful but almost completely useless.

Edited by Atavachron - June 21 2016 at 01:09
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 01:21
If he has made it clear that that is all that should be done about gun control, then I would be upset. I haven't listened to whole speech he made. If he is, as a spiritual leader, trying to appeal to people to do more soul-searching and develop more compassion so as to better control violence, then great. Others who have a say in legislation can talk about the legislative and more immediately practical side of things. It's good to get a diverse range of people talking about these matters and bringing in their own perspectives.

I'ma big one for free speech though, and would rather not have him "shut it" unless he is advocating violence, which he isn't, or his words will do harm. He has minimal influence in the US, of course. His aim is not to control people with a good philosophy, but he is urging people to control themselves with good philosophy.

By the way, I've spoken with the Dalai Lama, and I found him a wonderful man. Some of his comments can seem very naive.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 01:22
I accept that.

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 03:07
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

There are some people in the US who oppose driving licenses. 

DRIVING LICENSES. 

You can imagine it's not much of a stretch to oppose background checks. 

Now these same people want drug tests for recipients of welfare. But they don't give a damn if for example a drug addict on welfare with antisocial personality disorder gets access to a AR-15. Freedom. 

There are variations state to state. But also remember this is the country where some states have considered allowing open carry of weapons in BARS. WHERE ALCOHOL IS SOLD AND CONSUMED. 

Thanks for the replies, both.

It seems their ogic doen't stack up and te hypocrisy is out of this world.

Additionally if a government seriously wanted to crush its citizenry, a few rifles is not going to stop that. Citizens would need tactical nuclear weapons in their backyards!
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 05:03
Apparently more people in the USA are killed or injured by guns than cars so perhaps just maybe there is something in this regulation lark after all. Then maybe it's just a weird coincidence like the weird coincidence that you have more guns than people and a far higher rates of gun crime, gun deaths, than any country that has even a smidgen of gun control and that it is simply a weird coincidence that there are sufficient numbers of mass-shootings and gun-related massacres in the USA to make a distinction between the two when reporting gun-death statistics.
What?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 05:20
Maybe the US has got it right though? We are far too many people in the world and most of our biggest issues stem from that. The lack of gun control may very well function as people control.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>