29 [38.67%]
11 [14.67%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 11:16
Originally posted by Whamdaddy Whamdaddy wrote:

super hard to pick, since Yes is my intro to prog back in the day, and KC is my new fave prog band, as I am clamoring to listen to every live release they have put out, but will have to say Yes just for old times sake

If it was for old times sake, then it would be Yes for me, but I pretty much lost interest in Yes many years ago. I sometimes return to the pre-Close to the Edge albums (I do like the title-track off CLose to the Edge but that album never clicked for me). Fragile is the one that really got me into Yes, and played an important part in my Prog journey. That was my favourite album for quite some time when I was in high school. I didn't discover King Crimson until quite a few years later. There was person at sci-fi forum with In the Court of the Crimson King as an avatar (we become online friend up until, well a truly horrible thing happened which was very sad and shocking and made the news). Anyway, he was telling me that I should check out the band since I liked Prog, and I liked it a lot. I especially like Lizard, Larks' Tongues Aspic, and Islands these days, but I have enjoyed all of KC's classic albums (pre-Discipline) very much, and I like 80s Crimson more than 80s Yes.

This is a no-brainer for me, King Crimson rules here. While there are various exceptions, I'm not generally that big on acts included in the Symphonic Prog category (various classic French ones in Symph tend to me my favourites and for modern ones I have enjoyed Kotebel, which is reminiscent of KC to me, Deluge Grander and Karda Estra).

By the way, I;ve found it strange that some (one in particular) Yes fans have given KC lots of hate (other than the debut, which would get more of a pass). I would have thought that this, at least, would appeal to fans of Yes (though it has its jarring, dissonant bits, but I can find Yes quite jarring).

My 1960 to 2024 youtube playlist, one track per act and one track per year.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4Jq6bFhyET
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 11:34
Indubitably both.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 11:37
Both. Naturally!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 14:14
Crimson easily
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 15:39
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Of course it's been done, probably dozens of times lol.

I picked YES.

You are so... frenetic in adding polls!!! Wink

Edited by jamesbaldwin - April 10 2019 at 15:39
"Happiness is real only when shared"
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 16:59
Yes.  But if you check back tomorrow it might be King Crimson.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 18:52
Neither are favourites though I like both, but I prefer KC
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 18:57
In the court of the topographic lizard relayer king who stood too close to the edge of poseidon while going for his red fragile island. Ok, that made no sense. :P 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 18:58
Hi,

I was thinking that KC probably deserves this better, since they have been very good and great right from the start. I can not find a single album by KC that is not satisfying in a whole lot of ways, as opposed to YES, that for me, dropped the ball after RELAYER.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 18:59
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Crimson easily

Come on. We both know you draw little yes logos on the back of your car's window when it gets foggy. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 19:00
Hey, why don't we all split the difference and say the band Bruford. :P 
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 19:12
Love both, but Yes is better.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 21:02
Yes over any other band (except Pink Floyd).
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 21:38
Yes simply has more great albums than KC has.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2019 at 09:41
Not fair!!! (But I had to vote YES.)
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2019 at 10:16
Yes is an easy choice.
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2019 at 22:05
King Crimson
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2019 at 22:09
Both equally for me and if you included Pink Floyd and Genesis into the discussion, all four equally.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2019 at 15:18
Both. It's like having to choose between Pa and Ma.
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Formentera Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2019 at 16:04
I remember some time ago someone organised battle of bands polls, which were quite thrilling. Many hundreds voted. I think King Crimson, Yes and Genesis made it to the finals. King Crimson won by a hair... LOL

Voted King Crimson.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>