Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

If One Likes Neo Prog...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 15:38
Can't forget about Frost*.  They were pretty awesome in their brief existence.

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 17:10
I would re-iterate the suggestions of:
Mystery
Riversea
Collage
Quidam
Albion/Georgius/Jerzy Antczak
Millenium
Edison's Children

and add:
LIFESIGNS' eponymously titled debut album
BELIEVE (especially their recent Seven Widows album)
MR. GIL Skellig (led by Mirek Gil, guitarist from Collage, Satellite, and Believe)
BJØRN RIIS (guitarist from Airbag)
TONY PATTERSON's Equations of Meaning
NINE STONES CLOSE One Eye on the Sunrise
SOUP Remedies
I AND THOU Speak
maybe even SILHOUETTE and GALAHAD
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Ridgeback View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ridgeback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 17:22
Let’s talk about emotion (well, only as long as my ex wife doesn’t join this conversation). Seriously, so I listen pretty steadily to Airbag, Pendragon, Sylvan, PT, Anathema, etc. I find those bands quite emotional. Well, Airbag a bit less, but otherwise... Steal My Soul, Sounds That I Hear, Homesick etc. all but drip with emotion. Anathema’s Untouchable 1-2, Dreaming Light, Pendragon’s ‘it’s Only Me’, Frequency Drifts entire first album. And so on. Love, laments, souls asunder, redemption, all those I find in what is termed Neo-prog. SW has a plethora of emotions in his songs albeit virtually 100% depressing. I don’t find that in VDGG, ELP, KC etc. I don’t want to hear music played by rote. I don’t want to see/hear a musician played terrified of missing a note in a complex piece. I want to see sweat, a distant look, anguish, joy. Etc. go YouTube TSO’s I’ll Keep Your Secrets by Chloe where she literally channeled the person the song was about and started crying. She put everything she had into that song. She personified leaving it all out there. A bravo performance. Anyways, I’m sure I got my point across.
Ridgeback View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ridgeback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 17:25
I have some Eloy albums. Pretty good. Nektar- that’s the French PF type band? I like some of Camel they have a cool lead guitar player. Riversea keeps being mentione I need to check them out. I never heard of them.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 17:59
Originally posted by Ridgeback Ridgeback wrote:

I have some Eloy albums. Pretty good. Nektar- that’s the French PF type band? I like some of Camel they have a cool lead guitar player. Riversea keeps being mentione I need to check them out. I never heard of them.

Nektar were English but they lived and recorded in Germany so they were sometimes considered German. I recommend remember the future and recycled to start with. As for Eloy check out silent cries and mighty echoes. For Camel I would say maybe the later albums. Start with dust and dreams. 

Another modern band to check out is Lucy in Blue(they aren't on this site despite my trying to add them; it seems they forgot about them). They have a bandcamp page though. I doubt many(if any)of the bands mentioned so far sound more like vintage Floyd than they do.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 06 2019 at 18:03
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 18:17
Riverside is definitely recommended too, they are dripping with emotion. Also, if you ever get the chance to see them live, they are amazing!Smile
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 20:30
Originally posted by Howard the Duck Howard the Duck wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Sure, here it is. http://echolyninterview.blogspot.com/2012/?m=0

don't know if you're a gamer or familiar with video game music at all, but the composer for the Persona series, Shoji Meguro, has a keyboard style that greatly reminds me of Chris Buzby!

Nope. I don't know video game music except for homeworld by Yes and a band called the mini bosses. I should look into video games though.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2019 at 00:16

Let’s talk about emotion (well, only as long as my ex wife doesn’t join this conversation). Seriously, so I listen pretty steadily to Airbag, Pendragon, Sylvan, PT, Anathema, etc. I find those bands quite emotional. Well, Airbag a bit less, but otherwise... Steal My Soul, Sounds That I Hear, Homesick etc. all but drip with emotion. Anathema’s Untouchable 1-2, Dreaming Light, Pendragon’s ‘it’s Only Me’, Frequency Drifts entire first album. And so on. Love, laments, souls asunder, redemption, all those I find in what is termed Neo-prog. SW has a plethora of emotions in his songs albeit virtually 100% depressing. I don’t find that in VDGG, ELP, KC etc. I don’t want to hear music played by rote. I don’t want to see/hear a musician played terrified of missing a note in a complex piece. I want to see sweat, a distant look, anguish, joy. Etc. go YouTube TSO’s I’ll Keep Your Secrets by Chloe where she literally channeled the person the song was about and started crying. She put everything she had into that song. She personified leaving it all out there. A bravo performance. Anyways, I’m sure I got my point across.

I think we are getting into a very complex area when talking about emotion but I understand what you are saying.

You mention VDGG in there and I suspect you may get a few puzzled Pete Hammill fans wondering why they are bracketed with ELP although at times I admit his almost demented singing can be a massive turn off.
King Crimson are a really tricky example because as mentioned by another poster there early stuff can be quite emotional and actually Fallen Angel for me is one of the most emotional songs (and performances by the late great John Wetton) I've heard but if it doesn't connect with you then that's fine.
I'm a massive ELP fan and Keith Emerson is a God to me but yes I would accept that you may struggle to find anything really emotional in their back catalogue.

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2019 at 02:43
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I think we are getting into a very complex area when talking about emotion but I understand what you are saying.

You mention VDGG in there and I suspect you may get a few puzzled Pete Hammill fans wondering why they are bracketed with ELP although at times I admit his almost demented singing can be a massive turn off.
King Crimson are a really tricky example because as mentioned by another poster there early stuff can be quite emotional and actually Fallen Angel for me is one of the most emotional songs (and performances by the late great John Wetton) I've heard but if it doesn't connect with you then that's fine.
I'm a massive ELP fan and Keith Emerson is a God to me but yes I would accept that you may struggle to find anything really emotional in their back catalogue.

The "demented singing" of Peter Hammill is, however, totally fitting for the lyrics; anyone who sang it differently would be missing the point, so I have absolutely no problem with this singing style. And the band certainly goes along with this "demented" theme, especially on "Pawn Hearts". My personal opinion is that when it comes to "emotional" VdGG are very hard to beat, though there are rarely positive emotions.

Edited by BaldFriede - August 07 2019 at 02:44

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2019 at 02:52
To me the most emotional singers (in prog)are Freddie Mercury,Ian Anderson, Justin Hayward and John Lodge, Derek Shulman, Fish, Michael Sadler. All different styles and all different approach of singing and all of them have different lyrical themes.

So, I guess even emotion is a matter of taste.

For a long time I really was swept away by the vocals of Big Big Train, Flower Kings, Pendragon and Unitopia. They had a certain charm.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2019 at 05:15
I never really liked Freddie Mercury as a singer. His singing always sounded artificial to me, somehow put on.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2019 at 10:35
I believe that much of what is deemed as neo on this site drips with emotion. As an example, you cannot but empathise with Nick Barrett's work at the time of his divorce. Pulsating stuff, dripping with emotion.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2019 at 10:43
If one likes neo prog then one must listen to this: Marillion-Brave.

Edited by SteveG - August 07 2019 at 10:46
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2019 at 14:38
Neo prog...haha very lax genre...a lot of the bands are 2nd or third gen symphonic prog for me....I suppose that vocally most supposed neo prog bands try to be more serious to avoid the elves and pixie stereotyping of seventies prog...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2019 at 00:35
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I never really liked Freddie Mercury as a singer. His singing always sounded artificial to me, somehow put on.

interesting.
he had extraordinary vocal abilities with a range that almost unprecedented in rock music but that did naturally lead him almost inevitably towards an operatic rock style. I hate opera so I can see your point!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2019 at 00:41
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Neo prog...haha very lax genre...a lot of the bands are 2nd or third gen symphonic prog for me....I suppose that vocally most supposed neo prog bands try to be more serious to avoid the elves and pixie stereotyping of seventies prog...

I don't think it was about trying to avoid stereotyping really but more about being down to earth and connecting more with human issues such as alienation and even those horrid thoughts of suicide. I thought Neo was a bunch of crap until I listen properly to IQ 'The Wake'. I still love that album to the day. IQ had the chops to back up their grand designs as well proved by their debut 'Takes From The Lush Attic' . Listen to Through The Corridors. These guys can play!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2019 at 00:43
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

sorry that album bored the pants off me although I do like a lot of the Hogarth era Marillion. Sounds That Cannot Be Made is the one that I really enjoy as well as Seasons End. Both are a bit underrated imo.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2019 at 08:37
IQ are the best of the second generation symphonic prog bands. Suppose the economic backdrop of tbe late seventies and the Thatcher years had a lot to do with the lyrical content ok IQ and Marillion and Twelfth night for sure!
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NutterAlert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2019 at 09:26
horses for courses and all that, but in prog terms ditch the Neo stuff and embrace all things Italian and Japanese when it comes to prog, its a wonderful journey and there is always something new and amazing to discover. 

I agree with you on Yes, Genesis, etc, although their CDs are really useful as they swirl in the sun and keep insects away from vegetables and plants in my allotment.   
Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2019 at 10:01
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

sorry that album bored the pants off me although I do like a lot of the Hogarth era Marillion. Sounds That Cannot Be Made is the one that I really enjoy as well as Seasons End. Both are a bit underrated imo.
Are you daft? Brave was Marillion's finest hour. Brave was neo prog's finest hour.
That wasn't fair of me so let start again. Are you daft?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>