Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Song reviews of bands we don't like

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Song reviews of bands we don't like
    Posted: March 23 2020 at 04:25

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Now, I think the song suggester is supposed to name a band they don't like.

I can't recall any band in the prog-world that I don't like. That's because I only get music from bands that I do like, and those bands that don't appeal to me tend to get forgotten. Of course, it is inevitable that I have albums that fail to appeal to me, but that doesn't mean that I don't like the band. Also, if I come across an album that I don't like from a band that is new to me, I probably won't explore that band any further, but I won't feel as if I can say that I don't like the band.

Having said that, there are bands that I've explored fairly well, and though there is music that I do like (even love), there is also plenty that I don't like. And if such a band is also highly rated, then I can say that I think the band is overrated. Such is the case with King Crimson.

But I do know what sort of music I like, and what sort of music I don't like. Thus, even though I can't identify individual bands that I don't like, I can say that I don't like Prog Folk in general.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 21:00
Kudos on listening through all three, and for your forthrightness. You get a most genuine thumbs-up from me. Now I understand that much better what qualities appeal to you, which is part of the point of this exercise (it's partially about getting to know and understand each other's tastes better, honing recommendation skills if possible as well as clarity in making requests, and to critique in a constructive manner in a friendly and tolerant environment).

I'm hoping that I prophecy disaster will choose Van der Graaf Generator, in which case I'll mention "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers" and therefore likely repair my self-esteem. Just kidding as I wasn't expecting you to like my mention as that's more about an ambiance that appeals to me, and thought another could do better. I'm glad Ipd stepped-up.

By the way, the suggester doesn't have to step-up, just if they think of something, and anyone can step-in at any time with their own one that they genuinely are willing to give a fair shot.

Edited by Logan - March 22 2020 at 21:02
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 19:30
Ok, I listened. The Sparrow really fell flat with me. I really need key changes or rhythmic variance in this style of music. Despite the crescendo into distortion toward the middle of the track, I don't feel it really going anywhere. Thumbs Down

The Czar has essentially one substantial key change in the bridge section. The uptempo section promises some excitement, but really doesn't deliver. And the main vocalist seems like he is pulling his tongue to the rear of his mouth to constrict his airway and deliver a sort nerdy, cottonmouth asking-a-girl-that's-out-of-your-league-on-a-date sound. The pastoral intro would work if it developed into something more musically robust.Thumbs Down  

The Last Baron I actually had to restart because wasn't sure I had actually changed songs. Same key, similar meter in the intros. And again with the vocals. At least it isn't growling. Now, I must admit this song picks up and gets a little more interesting toward the middle. The drumming is fantastic, and there is finally a break with what I call a truly progressive instrumental breakdown. There is this cool thing that happens when the guitars are going heavy ballistic during the breakdown when there are these really high chimes ringing out over the top of them. That's fun. But that section is really all that grabbed me. Thanks to that section, I won't give it a thumbs down. But I can't go thumbs up as the remainder of the song left me flat, and certainly won't cause me to go buy the album. Good pick anyway, and a hell of a lot more enjoyable than any Tool song.

Now, I think the song suggester is supposed to name a band they don't like.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 09:35
I would’ve recommended the exact same three tunes from Mastodon

I was very much into Crack The Sky when it came out..but I do have a little problem with the at times 90s grunge-like vocals.
When I listen to Mastodon I mostly focus on the drums.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 09:15
I like Mastodon - Crack The Skye a lot. I was initially turned on to them by the "The Czar" with its psychedelic opening, but it is "The Last Baron" that is the true highlight. I like the Sabbathesque sound on the album.
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 08:51
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Hmmm...

I would like to play along. Looks like all the 'don't likes' have been responded to.

I would say Tool, but there is just no way anyone is going to tip that scale for me. So let's go with Mastodon. Everyone who doesn't know me that I try to explain my tastes to is convinced I should like them. I find their music lacks the complexity to allow them to get away with that vocal style. Few bands get a pass on that with me anymore. They have themes that lend themselves to a complex set of compositions, but I have yet to hear them deliver.

I don't recall all the material I have heard, but I am sure I've heard parts of Leviathan and actually have Blood Mountain. Cant get through the first few songs.

Thanks for playing...

I probably shouldn't be he one to recommend Mastodon as I don't know them as well as many others, but my favourite album of the little I know of theirs was The Hunter (a generally lower rated album). I like the band when it's gentler, not necessarily at its most complex, and like the rather psychedelic qualities of it.

This is a favourite of mine (I find it attractive and it's rather Pink Floydian and the like):

But again, I probably should leave it to others to properly recommend a track that know the band better and can fit it better to what you want.

Edited by Logan - March 22 2020 at 08:56
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 08:34
Hmmm...

I would like to play along. Looks like all the 'don't likes' have been responded to.

I would say Tool, but there is just no way anyone is going to tip that scale for me. So let's go with Mastodon. Everyone who doesn't know me that I try to explain my tastes to is convinced I should like them. I find their music lacks the complexity to allow them to get away with that vocal style. Few bands get a pass on that with me anymore. They have themes that lend themselves to a complex set of compositions, but I have yet to hear them deliver.

I don't recall all the material I have heard, but I am sure I've heard parts of Leviathan and actually have Blood Mountain. Cant get through the first few songs.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 19:02
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

As for my avatar's album cover, it's the soundtrack for Angel's Egg by Yoshihiro Kanno - an anime film.

With Kayo Dot, unlike most, my favourite album was Blue Lambency Downward. His music is often quite ugly.

I don't you expect you to like that, not sure my track choice was even the right one. and I actually don't enjoy the album as much as I once did, but the album definitely has plenty of bits I like at the very least.
Never heard of it but after reading the synopsis I'm intrigued.

I enjoyed it quite a lot, thanks! I definitely like the production and the use of space and tension throughout the piece. It seems to slowly ondulate and I'm sure it would bore a lot of people but not me. I ended up exploring further and I'm listening to Toby Driver's "They Are The Shield". I didn't expect to be so moved by it, I guess I found a side of him I like. Thanks for the push Thumbs Up

Cool, I'm very glad you appreciated it. I haven't heard that Toby Driver album yet, will check it out, but I meant to mention before that I had preferred his solo work and Tartar Lamb to both Maudlin of the Well and Kayo Dot.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 09:56

As for my avatar's album cover, it's the soundtrack for Angel's Egg by Yoshihiro Kanno - an anime film.

With Kayo Dot, unlike most, my favourite album was Blue Lambency Downward. His music is often quite ugly.

I don't you expect you to like that, not sure my track choice was even the right one. and I actually don't enjoy the album as much as I once did, but the album definitely has plenty of bits I like at the very least.
Never heard of it but after reading the synopsis I'm intrigued.

I enjoyed it quite a lot, thanks! I definitely like the production and the use of space and tension throughout the piece. It seems to slowly ondulate and I'm sure it would bore a lot of people but not me. I ended up exploring further and I'm listening to Toby Driver's "They Are The Shield". I didn't expect to be so moved by it, I guess I found a side of him I like. Thanks for the push Thumbs Up
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 06:39
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I’ll also try that song, I asked for no 30 minute pieces pretty much cause I can’t make a good review off of one listen of a track of that length. And by the chance I don’t like it, I don’t wanna force myself to sit through it multiple times.

Bummer .... you'll never sit and listen to Djam Karet's The Trip ... which is magnificent ... but not a prog favorite, because drums don't start for like 13 or 14 minutes into it ... that ought to annoy a few folks!!! Wink

Long songs don’t bother me, they just tend to take me a good amount of time to get into
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 19:18

^ It also took me by surprise when I first heard it. I only knew (and was bored by) their later music but I took a chance on that one when I found a bunch of second hand FK CD's on a record store (probably from the same owner). It was the only single album so it seemed less risky. I think, just like with Spock's Beard, there's an enthusiasm on those early albums that is nowhere to be found afterwards. I imagine them saying "let's make yet another Prog album" after a while.

By the way, I'm curious to know what's the album on your avatar.

Concerning my dislikes, I never liked Kayo Dot. It's strange, reading the reviews it really seems like something I'd enjoy but when it comes to listening, I honestly find it repulsive (and I'm used to odd and challenging music). Maybe it's the production values or I don't connect with Toby Driver's artistic vision... or maybe I didn't listen to the right music.

It took me by surprise, partially because it's what I was hoping for, but not really expecting. It's not like those hopes were totally unrealistic as I had heard music by TFK, Unlike writing, "I haven't liked what I've heard of this brutal death metal band, The Frightfully Fetid Faecal Felon Flayers, because it's brutal and I hate death metal, recommend me something that is melodic, pastoral and of the lounge ilk.: Or as I once seriously did at the forum, asking for harmonious choral death growlers, as unrealistic expectations likely would lead to sure disappointment. I'm getting a bit too fanciful again. Anyway, it was very good stuff, thanks. Much better than I hoped for based on my impressions of TFK. It's a common thing that people judge a band too harshly or too easily without knowing enough material -- I've been guilty of that a number of times, and am very happy when my mind is changed. I prefer to judge albums or even pieces rather than pigeonholing bands whole discographies just based on too limited hearing.

Edited by Logan - March 19 2020 at 19:18
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 17:56

I’ll also try that song, I asked for no 30 minute pieces pretty much cause I can’t make a good review off of one listen of a track of that length. And by the chance I don’t like it, I don’t wanna force myself to sit through it multiple times.

Bummer .... you'll never sit and listen to Djam Karet's The Trip ... which is magnificent ... but not a prog favorite, because drums don't start for like 13 or 14 minutes into it ... that ought to annoy a few folks!!! Wink
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 16:44
^ It also took me by surprise when I first heard it. I only knew (and was bored by) their later music but I took a chance on that one when I found a bunch of second hand FK CD's on a record store (probably from the same owner). It was the only single album so it seemed less risky. I think, just like with Spock's Beard, there's an enthusiasm on those early albums that is nowhere to be found afterwards. I imagine them saying "let's make yet another Prog album" after a while.

By the way, I'm curious to know what's the album on your avatar.

Concerning my dislikes, I never liked Kayo Dot. It's strange, reading the reviews it really seems like something I'd enjoy but when it comes to listening, I honestly find it repulsive (and I'm used to odd and challenging music). Maybe it's the production values or I don't connect with Toby Driver's artistic vision... or maybe I didn't listen to the right music.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 13:54
What was quite delightful about that suggestion for me was that in a recent post in this thread today, I wrote "With The Flower Kings too, they can make really long, and I'd day noodley (sic?) pieces, and I'd rather hear the tighter but perhaps pregnant with ideas, ones from them." That track seems tight and pregnant with ideas to me. It fit my bill better than I expected. I'm not much of a reviewer, so I just tend to post my impressions which usually run along the lines of "Yowza... blah, blah, insert poor reference here, blah, blah, make sad joke sometimes, blah, blah, blah". :)

Edited by Logan - March 19 2020 at 13:56
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 13:44
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 13:31

Flower Kings for me... and please no 30 minute songs
I only listen to Retropolis, it's their most concise effort. It's still over 60 minutes but I can enjoy it on a good day.

Does any particular track stand out for you? If you don't wish to link to it, I'll try to, and give it a go myself.
Maybe the title track, there's a nice KC flavour to it.

Thanks Samuel, I'm writing this as listening. I'm two minutes in and enjoying it so far. Its driving, definitely not boring, great musicianship, interesting and noisy in a good way, exciting, good groove, it has a certain KC angularity is a little Vangelis-like Blade Runner flourishes, rather retro in a good way. Interesting moments, nice jazzy touches. I'm digging this, and am now seven minutes in. Despite having different parts and lots of changes, it feels cohesive (like a mini-suite, it's tight). Really nice ending too, which reminds me of some of the music in a little-known classic called Morons From Outer Space.

I really enjoyed that, and I have another band not to dismiss. Thank you so much, mission accomplished, at least when it comes to me. I can't fault it and liked it enough that I will not only return to that but want to listen to the whole album. You get a Micky-sized clappie.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 13:13

I only listen to Retropolis, it's their most concise effort. It's still over 60 minutes but I can enjoy it on a good day.

Does any particular track stand out for you? If you don't wish to link to it, I'll try to, and give it a go myself.
Maybe the title track, there's a nice KC flavour to it.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 12:59
Reading my previous posts on this thread, I thought I should say I got into VdGG since then, after listening to "Vital". I found out that my problem wasn't with the vocals but I didn't think it fitted the music around it. I think they're on the same page on that live album though.

Edited by Meltdowner - March 19 2020 at 13:02
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 12:58

Does any particular track stand out for you? If you don't wish to link to it, I'll try to, and give it a go myself since, as said, I have also had issues with The Flower Kings.

EDIT: by the way, looking back on this thread, I really appreciated your contributions to it. The topic got painfully side-tracked at times, and I was reluctant to read back through it, but looking back on it, it worked out pretty well (better than most of my topic ideas). Thanks.

Edited by Logan - March 19 2020 at 13:10
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 12:53

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>