Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Other Side of Life

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2020 at 21:05
Always been a Moody Blues fan..but as many think after Seventh Sojourn they were never the same.
Though there are some nice tracks on all of the later ones...if you dig them out.
But I recommend going backwards and buying a later compilation of early singles/rarities they did before Days of Future Passed right after Hayward and Lodge joined...called Prelude.
2 tracks from Prelude: some really nice early things on it....simply gorgeous melodies.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2020 at 22:06
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Always been a Moody Blues fan..but as many think after Seventh Sojourn they were never the same.
Though there are some nice tracks on all of the later ones...if you dig them out.
But I recommend going backwards and buying a later compilation of early singles/rarities they did before Days of Future Passed right after Hayward and Lodge joined...called Prelude.
2 tracks from Prelude: some really nice early things on it....simply gorgeous melodies.

Hey thanks a lot man. I actually already listened to Prelude, I discussed it on page 5 of this thread.

I agree with you that those 'Magnificent 7' albums are the best, but I also really like Long Distance Voyager, The Present, and The Other Side of Life. My favorite Moody Blues album is Days of Future Passed, I think it's darn near a masterpiece.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 02:27
My Moodies masterpiece is In Search of the Lost Chord. It sounds of its time now, though I think it would’ve been such a forward-thinking work of art when released.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 08:48
I consider "A Question of Balance" and "Seventh Sojourn" to be the best due to not having any even slightly weak tracks.  But Chord, To Our Children, and Every Good Boy are all very close, just generally with one weak track that keeps them from being at that level (Om, Sun is still shining, Nice to be here).  Usually it's a Thomas song or a Pinder song that brings things down slightly, though both have contributed some of the best Moodys songs. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 11:08
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I consider "A Question of Balance" and "Seventh Sojourn" to be the best due to not having any even slightly weak tracks.  But Chord, To Our Children, and Every Good Boy are all very close, just generally with one weak track that keeps them from being at that level (Om, Sun is still shining, Nice to be here).  Usually it's a Thomas song or a Pinder song that brings things down slightly, though both have contributed some of the best Moodys songs. 
Damn, you need to get back on the grass Ken. Wink
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 13:04
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

That was very good. A CD I'm going to have to get into my collection. That last long deal 'In Held' had too much talking, and was kind of strange but certainly interesting.. obviously I understand though it's importance as far the early development of prog. And the tracks before that one were just great, I enjoyed them immensely.
Really great to hear!! I have always been music, not lyrics guy, but "In Held Twas In I" lyrics are as important as music and theyīve been lyrics that really have touched me (I think the bands lyricmaker Keith Reid was in it at his best). But the music is also in those "speaking pieces" really great, you can easily imagine the lyrics in your mind when hearing it!

I believe you will like their other albums too, "Grand Hotel" is as great as a whole as "Shine On". There are weaker songs partly in other albums I mentioned, on the other hand also some really great songs for example title song of "A Salty Dog". Really hard to understand why it didnīt become number one hit (it went 44 in UK, but not charted in US at all). But it is just those things some great bands just donīt success (wrong place wrong time).
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 14:06
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

My Moodies masterpiece is In Search of the Lost Chord. It sounds of its time now, though I think it would’ve been such a forward-thinking work of art when released.

Also my personal favorite....though close to Days, Children, Threshold, etc.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 18:15
I mentioned Prelude at least twice a few pages back. It's good. I actually enjoyed those songs more than the first album. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 19:01
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Damn, you need to get back on the grass Ken. Wink

yeah that's my problem, or one of them
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 19:23
Idk, I've literally listened to every Moody Blues studio album exactly 1 time lol. The only thing I remember about that Lost Chord deal was that the first song(ride my see-saw) was really kick butt, don't remember the rest of the album except that it was very good. All of those 7 were very good. The only one that truly felt like it was special though was Days of Future Passed. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 19:23
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

That was very good. A CD I'm going to have to get into my collection. That last long deal 'In Held' had too much talking, and was kind of strange but certainly interesting.. obviously I understand though it's importance as far the early development of prog. And the tracks before that one were just great, I enjoyed them immensely.
Really great to hear!! I have always been music, not lyrics guy, but "In Held Twas In I" lyrics are as important as music and theyīve been lyrics that really have touched me (I think the bands lyricmaker Keith Reid was in it at his best). But the music is also in those "speaking pieces" really great, you can easily imagine the lyrics in your mind when hearing it!

I believe you will like their other albums too, "Grand Hotel" is as great as a whole as "Shine On". There are weaker songs partly in other albums I mentioned, on the other hand also some really great songs for example title song of "A Salty Dog". Really hard to understand why it didnīt become number one hit (it went 44 in UK, but not charted in US at all). But it is just those things some great bands just donīt success (wrong place wrong time).

Yeah US can be finicky sometimes I think. Like the ONLY T. Rex song that ever plays on the radio here now is Get It On. Which is ridiculous, they(he) were so much more than that.

Anyway, off now to listen to their debut album. Hope I like it as much as that one last night.

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 20:08
Oh mercy that was good. That was too good. The only songs I wasn't wild about were 'Mabel' and 'Good Captain Clack.' And some real fine jamming on 'Cerdes' 'A Christmas Camel' and 'Repent Walpurgis.'

All in all a phenomenal album.  
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 22:45

Yeah US can be finicky sometimes I think. Like the ONLY T. Rex song that ever plays on the radio here now is Get It On. Which is ridiculous, they(he) were so much more than that. 

Anyway, off now to listen to their debut album. Hope I like it as much as that one last night.

In Finland in that "Nostalgia"-channel they play also "Jeepster" with "Get It On". But nothing more. And from Procol they play just "Whiter" and "Homburg". And from Moodies just "Nights In White Satin" & "For My Lady". Todayīs radiochannels are just so boring!

Great to hear you loved also Procolīs first! I have also really always loved that, but really it isnīt album I will recommend to proglisteners (of course I am not suprised you love it, because you love so much other stuff than just prog and really many Procol albums are not far away from the greatest albums of Beatles). You decide what you listen next from them, but I donīt think "A Salty Dog" is not a bad choice. It is also really great album, although has some weaker tracks, but many really great!

I think my first listen to this morning will be Moodies "Long Distance Voyager". Really long time of my last listening, I donīt remember from that anything else than that fantastic opening piece.

Edited by Mortte - April 09 2020 at 22:48
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 23:16
I find it hard to pick any Progressive traits in the Moodies after the classic 7 albums. Octave had Slide Zone (the only song I liked), then they sounded very generic to me when Moraz joined. And I had high hopes coz of Moraz’s background (Mainhorse, Refugee, Yes....). All I can hear is adult-contemporary mainstream product. Not for me.

Edited by Tom Ozric - April 09 2020 at 23:17
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 19:05

In Finland in that "Nostalgia"-channel they play also "Jeepster" with "Get It On". But nothing more. And from Procol they play just "Whiter" and "Homburg". And from Moodies just "Nights In White Satin" & "For My Lady". Todayīs radiochannels are just so boring!

Great to hear you loved also Procolīs first! I have also really always loved that, but really it isnīt album I will recommend to proglisteners (of course I am not suprised you love it, because you love so much other stuff than just prog and really many Procol albums are not far away from the greatest albums of Beatles). You decide what you listen next from them, but I donīt think "A Salty Dog" is not a bad choice. It is also really great album, although has some weaker tracks, but many really great!

I think my first listen to this morning will be Moodies "Long Distance Voyager". Really long time of my last listening, I donīt remember from that anything else than that fantastic opening piece.

Sounds like your radio stations there are better than the ones here at least. Although we do get more Moody Blues songs than that. What did you think of Long Distance Voyager? I liked it although I felt like the first song was clearly the best. Anyway I'm off now to listen to... A Salty Dog.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 19:55
Well I liked that, but definitely not as much as those first two albums. It was a little frustrating because the songs were nice, and even good but I know they're capable of so much more lol. Oh well, basically good but not great album imo. The title track and 'Devil Came From Kansas' were both very good. Pretty much the rest of the songs were just pleasant.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 20:11

Well I liked that, but definitely not as much as those first two albums. It was a little frustrating because the songs were nice, and even good but I know they're capable of so much more lol. Oh well, basically good but not great album imo. The title track and 'Devil Came From Kansas' were both very good. Pretty much the rest of the songs were just pleasant.

I love the closing track, sung by Matthew Fisher whose voice is surprisingly good
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 20:16

I love the closing track, sung by Matthew Fisher whose voice is surprisingly good

Interesting, I noticed the keyboards in that one sounded a little like Whiter Shade of Pale.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 22:17

Oh mercy that was good. That was too good. The only songs I wasn't wild about were 'Mabel' and 'Good Captain Clack.' And some real fine jamming on 'Cerdes' 'A Christmas Camel' and 'Repent Walpurgis.'

All in all a phenomenal album.  

some people have a tendency to state that the first albums by an artist are the best and it's downhill from there, but I am not one of those people in general.  However, in the case of Procol, I think the first is far and away the best.  It's amazing that apparently they rushed it out on the success of A Whiter Shade and itw as so awesome
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2020 at 00:24

Sounds like your radio stations there are better than the ones here at least. Although we do get more Moody Blues songs than that. What did you think of Long Distance Voyager? I liked it although I felt like the first song was clearly the best. Anyway I'm off now to listen to... A Salty Dog.
Have to say I havenīt long time heard such a horrible song from an prog artist as "Gemini Dream" (I have already managed to forget the horrors of ELP:s In the Hot S**t). Almost stop listening the whole album. But I am glad direction went much better in next songs. I prefer Octave lot more. "The Voice" was as amazing as in the eighties when I heard it last time. Anyway from this thread I believe next three albums are better?

BTW I listened Procolīs first after Voyager lots because your enthusiasm about it, oh it sounded so great after that Moodies album, but on the other hand also Procol really havenīt succeeded well in the nineties with their "the Prodigal Stranger"-album (itīs their weakest). Going to listen all the Procolīs albums in order!

About Procol I think you should go next straight to "Grand Hotel". "Home" is as good as "a Salty Dog", but "Broken Barricades" is their weakest seventies album although title song is really great in this album too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>