Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Triumvirat Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2024 at 04:58
From what I understand, Mister Ten Percent is about a band basically saying "good riddance" to their manager, who's retiring. But, one piece of the puzzle doesn't fit and that is "Lucky Girl". It seems almost as if it was a loose Köllen composition shoehorned it at the last minute in order to have something on the album with Helmut Köllen's writing credit (contractual reasons?).

Does any Triumvirat aficionado here perhaps know for sure why that is?
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2024 at 06:03
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

From what I understand, Mister Ten Percent is about a band basically saying "good riddance" to their manager, who's retiring. But, one piece of the puzzle doesn't fit and that is "Lucky Girl". It seems almost as if it was a loose Köllen composition shoehorned it at the last minute in order to have something on the album with Helmut Köllen's writing credit (contractual reasons?).

Does any Triumvirat aficionado here perhaps know for sure why that is?

In all my time of researching Triumvirat, and through my communications with band members and close friends and family of the band, I never heard that this writing credit belonging to Helmut was done for a "contractual reason". Helmut was just getting his "sea legs" in writing a song with English lyrics at this time (the lyrics were written by drummer Hans Bathelt)- his songwriting contribution is so minute on this record is because at the time of it's creation, Koellen did not know English and had to learn to read and sing the lyrics phonetically in order to sing English at all. I don't think there is any legal reason behind that dynamic in the band at that time.  Also, nothing in recording the album was done "at the last minute" or "shoehorned in"-quite the opposite occurred-the band took many months to complete the record, with record company EMI repeatedly questioning them as to "when will you get this record done?".

Edited by presdoug - May 10 2024 at 06:21
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2024 at 11:39
Thank you. Very interesting trivia. I'm not familiar with the band's lore, thus I can only guess.

I have however heard about the fact that Helmut learned the lyrics to the songs on IoaDD phonetically. It's crazy. There was no internet in the 70's (duh), and because of that, not much English-language audio/audiovisual content outside of English-speaking countries was easy or cheap to obtain. So I guess the best option at the time was to simply make friends with a native speaker, if you could find one. It's quite impressive, that Helmut pulled it off so well. His pronunciation was superb and at first listening, before reading about it, I was 100% certain he was a fluent speaker. xD

EDIT:
I have a theory that the fella who read the short narration ("Mine is the road to nowhere...) in the title track, might've had some input in instructing Helmut Köllen how to sing in English. It's just a theory, but whatevs; I thought it'd share it for funs.

Edited by Hrychu - May 10 2024 at 11:44
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2024 at 12:40

Thank you. Very interesting trivia. I'm not familiar with the band's lore, thus I can only guess.

I have however heard about the fact that Helmut learned the lyrics to the songs on IoaDD phonetically. It's crazy. There was no internet in the 70's (duh), and because of that, not much English-language audio/audiovisual content outside of English-speaking countries was easy or cheap to obtain. So I guess the best option at the time was to simply make friends with a native speaker, if you could find one. It's quite impressive, that Helmut pulled it off so well. His pronunciation was superb and at first listening, before reading about it, I was 100% certain he was a fluent speaker. xD

EDIT:
I have a theory that the fella who read the short narration ("Mine is the road to nowhere...) in the title track, might've had some input in instructing Helmut Köllen how to sing in English. It's just a theory, but whatevs; I thought it'd share it for funs.

Thanks for your reply. I do very appreciate your keen interest in the band, and interesting insights you share!
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2024 at 12:44
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

EDIT:

Thanks for your reply. I do very appreciate your keen interest in the band, and interesting insights you share! Btw, the person doing the narration, Peter Cadera, was a roadie for the band back in the day. I looked him up on facebook but got no reply after requesting a friendship. lol oh, well, life goes on....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456