Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Republican Thunderdome

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 15>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2024 at 14:53
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

I was curious what my fellow PA member's opinions were. 

I think you're here just to deliberately bait people. I don't think you're interested in any of our opinions. You're more interested in arguing and showing off. You're a troll.
Troll for sure, never has lifted a finger for the site either. So many good people here are working hard to build up a useful internet resource, and then there are those who are just looking for a free ride and even try to bait those who do the work.
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2024 at 21:18
Maybe he should check for brain eating worms.

Edited by Hugh Manatee - May 10 2024 at 22:21
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2024 at 21:21
^ Her.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 10:00
^She.
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicVibration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 10:39
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

GOP thinks about impeaching Biden.  

Does the GOP want to impeach Biden for encouraging an invasion of millions of illegal aliens into the USA?  Nope. 

Does the GOP want to impeach Biden for the Hunter Laptop corruption evidence?  Nope.  

Does the GOP want to impeach Biden for taking bribes from Romania, Ukraine, China, and the ex-wife of Moscow's mayor?  No. no, no...

The GOP wants to impeach Biden for considering cutting off weapons and bombs to Israel's genocide of Palestinian women, men, and children.

I'm anti-war. Under Biden, inflation exploded. Biden gave hundreds of billions of dollars to Ukraine, Israel, and Taiwan.  Biden claimed, " The COVID-19 vaccine is totally safe and if you take it you cannot get COVID."

Of all the things the Republicans could impeach Biden for...The Republicans choose one of the few non-Alzheimer positive thoughts Biden has...slow down a genocide holocaust. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/no-choice-impeach-biden-over-145043756.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

some people just can't handle the truth..
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 14:01
Guys, I think you all need to:
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 17:11
Relax ?   Sure-- my country may have a twisted psychotic Fascist criminal as our next president, so "chilling" isn't really a f*cking option.   

Got it ?

Edited by Atavachron - May 17 2024 at 17:11
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 19:28
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Relax ?   Sure-- my country may have a twisted psychotic Fascist criminal as our next president, so "chilling" isn't really a f*cking option.   

Got it ?

Pearland?
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2024 at 13:36
Hey Libertarians (and I'm talking to the Libertarians right here on PA as well as nationwide)--- You've allowed MAGA to take over your party, and good for the rest of you for booing the Sick Orange Criminal Traitor :

Nicholas Sarwark, former Chairperson of the Libertarian National Convention

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi11t9qIE2w

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2024 at 16:04
The Orange Criminal Traitor found guilty on all 34 felonies for falsifying business records.

A great day for America.

Edited by Atavachron - May 30 2024 at 16:05
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2024 at 17:36
^The orange monster said "The whole country is rigged"   
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2024 at 17:39
^ He can say whatever he wants, even his supporters don't believe a word he says.   But that's because they want a lying psychopath in office.

Our best hope is all the Independents with minds and patriotism.   But it is a wonderful day and I will take it !

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2024 at 18:43
^Congratulations Neighbors !!
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2024 at 18:53
^ Thank you.   Now it's on to his other cases, far more serious if less of a sure thing.   And of course November.   C'mon Indies--- show us your B A L L S.

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2024 at 19:18
A great day for America, and for the world, for that matter! (But truth and justice still have a lot more work to do)

Edited by presdoug - May 30 2024 at 19:18
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2024 at 19:27
^ It sure does have more to do, we all do.   Stand up, people, and speak out. That goes for all the quiet, shy people here.   What have you got to lose?   Nothing.   
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2024 at 19:51
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

...What have you got to lose?   Nothing.   

Possibly your ability to post here.

I will say here now that we have been having discussions about not allowing political (and religious) topics at PA as there have been complaints about aggressive, abusive, rude behaviour. That does not mean an outright ban on mentioning anything of a political or religious nature, especially as that can be related to music. Like we can still call Christian Vander Christian instead of Chris, we can still mention Roger Waters politics and political and religious themes in music but we should be careful about having threads devoted to such topics, sensitive to others who might have other ideas, and we should avoid, IMO, sensationalist language and things that reek of ad hominems. I think it's often better to focus on the facts (as we know them) and avoid really charged and rude biased language.

A reminder of some of the forum rules that we agree to be bound by a s condition of posting here (of course there is some flexibility and various of us go over the line now and then):

Quote 1. No Vulgarity, profanity or bigotry. We ask all members to refrain from using "foul language." Profanity - the deliberate denigration of another person's belief, will not be tolerated. Our membership is global, and thus represents a host of spiritual and religious beliefs. Given this, profanity is tantamount to personal attack (see next entry). Likewise, there is no place in this forum for bigotry (this includes religious bigotry, racism, and sexual discrimination) which are also considered to be personal attacks.
We are committed to not censoring messages or opinions, but this is a moderated forum. We simply want to maintain the spirit of an open, interactive discussion without offending any of the participants.
Any deliberate and conscious attempt to "circumvent" or ignore this guideline will be seen as grounds for a warning to be issued, and may result in ejection from the site.
Note that this rule extends to forum names too. You should ensure that your chosen forum name is not likely to cause offense to other members.

2. No Personal attacks (flaming or trolling). Keep it civil, show respect at all times for your fellow members. Disagreement, debate, even "heated" discussion is fine (though emoticons should be used to "soften" the effect of words). However, personally directed insults, denigration, etc. will not be tolerated, and will be grounds for warning and, if not stopped immediately, ejection. This applies equally to forum posts AND private messages. "Group-directed" insults and denigration (e.g., racism, sexism, ageism, etc.) also fall under this category, any such behaviour will be taken on a case by case basis. Any member who engages in continuous baiting, borderline insults, or other continuously "aggressive" behaviour will be warned. Any member found to be using concurrent multiple personae (more than one profile at the same time) will be ejected from the site.

4. No Sniping. If you feel that someone has (i) baited or personally attacked you through the behaviours described in 1 or 2 above (whether in a thread or in a PM), do not engage that member in that thread, or reply to the PM. Instead, immediately send a PM to a forum moderator with details of (i) which member and (ii) which thread (please give the name of the thread, not the link) - or, if a PM, copy and paste in the text of the offending PM. The moderator will then determine what action needs to be taken (if any) and will reply to you. The moderators will try to reply to such incidents within 24 hours. In the meantime, please ignore that member and do not engage them in any way.

So please be civil. I like to say, feel free to speak your mind but mind your speech. Sometimes it's not what you say, but how you say it. This topic might well get closed fairly soon as a political thread. I would hope for attempts at rational and civil discussion.

By the way, I think most of us know know where we stand (just like people know the kinds of music I am into some might add), and opinions on a not very busy Prog Forum are unlikely to change the world much, and there are much better places and organisations with which to discuss and act on politics and social issues that might actually have more of a component that are likely to lead to positive change. I was an active ember of Amnesty International, they do some good stuff. And my old Sociology professor tried to make me a Marxist-Leninist doing campaigns, but it was not for me (was a lot of anger there).

Edited by Logan - May 30 2024 at 19:55
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2024 at 20:05
Oh Greg, I don't know what to say.   No uncivil behavior today in that thread, and now you're threatening me and others.   Do whatever you feel is best, and I understand your position.   But threats?   

As I said, take action and do something or don't.   Otherwise let us who see the urgent reality of the moment and are willing to express it.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2024 at 20:17
^ Threats. It's a reminder of the rules and relates to what we have been discussing in the collab zone about banning religious and political topics. If you mean this "Possibly your ability to post here." My bad, I forogt to use a winky as that was meant to be on the funny side (no worries, been told my sense of humour sucks).

I thought we were going to avoid such topics, even though I understand bringing up the news. If they are to continue, we need strong rules. I have dealt with a lot of complaints when it comes to political threads, that is time consuming for me, and have had people saying they don't want to post here because of this stuff. My thinking often has been, if you don't like it, stay out of it and do wish we could have wide range of discussions while remaining civil.

I'd rather it be a group action, ideally, and I like consensus if possible. We are all bound to the rules and it has been expected of me as a moderator since 2008 or 2009 to remind people of those. Surprised by the reaction after what has been discussed by us in the collab zone. Sad I am not a better diplomat.
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2024 at 20:30
Thank you for clarifying.   But no, we agreed that closing & prohibiting political threads would probably be a good idea, me included right up front.   I suggested it, for goodness sake.   But if one stays open I'm going to use it and post my thoughts.   It's not my responsibility to close threads, I don't have the ability to do that.

If you want to wait for other Admins' opinions I get that.   But don't think Donald Trump being convicted by average Americans, a jury of his peers, will not stir responses.   I support you & Admin in whatever you decide.

Edited by Atavachron - May 30 2024 at 20:31
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 15>