Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Great albums of 2024

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 11:40
1. Big Big Train - The Likes of Us [BC] [SPO]
    Uplifting Emotional Prog Art Rock
2. Pineapple Thief - It Leads To This [BC] [SPO]
    Emotional Prog Alt Rock/Metal
3. The Aristocrats - Duck [BC]
    Instr Prog Rock/Jazz
4. The Chronicles Of Father Robin - The Songs & Tales Of Airoea: Book 3 [BC] [SPO]
    Mellow Symph Nordic Prog Alt Rock/Folk
5. The Prog Collective - Dark Encounters [BC] [SPO]
    Instr Neo Prog Rock
6. Neal Morse - The Restoration – Joseph: Part Two [SPO]
    Preachy Symph Prog Rock
7. Caligula's Horse - Charcoal Grace [BC] [SPO]
    Bittersweet Melodic Prog Metal/Rock
8. The Smile - Wall of Eyes [BC] [SPO]
    Mellow Lush Neo Prog Post Rock/Pop
9. SiX BY SiX - Beyond Shadowland [BC] [SPO]
    Heavy Prog Rock
10. Whom Gods Destroy - Insanium [BC] [SPO]
    Tech Prog Metal/Rock
11. Steve Hackett - The Circus And The Nightwhale [BC] [SPO]
    Hard Eclectic Prog Art Rock
12. Elephants Of Scotland - Brains! [BC]
    Neo Prog Art Rock
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 12:49
1album cover
Beth Gibbons
Prog-Adj Art Folk

2album cover

3album cover

4album cover
The Smile

5album cover

6album cover
St. Vincent

7album cover

8album cover
Glass Beach

9album cover

10album cover
Prizes Roses Rosa (Panda Rosa)

Edited by Logan - May 26 2024 at 15:30
My 1960 to 2024 youtube playlist, one track per act and one track per year.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4Jq6bFhyET
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 13:14
"Castrum Zumellarum" is the comeback album of the Italian band Faveravola. It's a concept album that can be described as mediaeval-prog-rock opera. 
The Venetian band, made up of musicians with distant experiences in the 1970s, stylistically a progressive blend between Angelo Branduardi and Le Orme, after multiple vicissitudes, completed this work inspired by the Zumelle castle saga, which still exists in the Belluno area of Italy, and of the heartbreak love between the knight Murcimiro and local beauty Atleta. These musicians' talent and skills are responsible for the fact that the instrumentation is rich and diverse, featuring intricate guitar solos, lush keyboard textures, pastoral flute soloing, dynamic drum patterns, melodic bass lines, and beautiful singing in Italian. The production quality is top-notch, with attention to detail in capturing the nuances of each instrument and creating a cohesive sonic landscape. 
"Castrum Zumellarum" is a must-listen for fans of Italian symphonic rock. Its intricate compositions, virtuosic performances, and unique mediaveal-like approach make this album one of the best prog releases of this year so far.

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 13:16
Moyan, no carpet bombing the thread please.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2024 at 06:49
Released today Cool:

1album cover
Azure
Symph Prog Rock
"What a well balanced yet surprisingly inventive release. Supreme vocals, awesome production, enticing songwriting ... and many references to (and a really well-working fusion of) many iconic prog bands. Strong contender for album of the year!" (Mike, 3h ago)

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2024 at 13:24
^ Wow, a masterpiece? Really? I listened to the track you posted and then - because a bit surprised by your enthusiasm about this - to the first three tracks on their bandcamp site (couldn't stand much more of it...), but this is exactly the type of unimaginative and clichématic (heavy) prog that made me turn my back to prog in the 90s.
Funny how appreciations can differ so much. Yes, they know how to play, but their songwriting is really without any originality, it is very formulaic prog. You find the singing supreme, but I think it is a singer of which we have 13 in a dozen (when he sings it's OK, but when it veers to screaming it's going from bad to hideous). Really surprised that you find this a masterpiece... But well, I like things that you won't like, so it's just my opinion which differs from yours on this one.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2024 at 13:31
^ It’s a first listen impression, and our criteria may vary.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2024 at 13:42
^ At least you succeeded in raising my curiosity. And I guess we have the same criteria: our guts. No? But our guts are going different ways... Wink

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2024 at 15:19
^ Having listened to it a second time, my view has not changed. For a time-effective way to sample the release, I'd recommend listening to the second long track:

Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2024 at 02:19
"If I don't make it, I love u" is an album by the UK trio Still House Plants that offers a unique and experimental blend of musical styles. Their unconventional approach to this album is based on a blend of avant-garde with elements of experimental rock and improvisational music. The band's sound is characterised by dissonant guitar riffs, unconventional song structures, and haunting vocals. The songs on the album often feature sparse instrumentation, creating a sense of intimacy and vulnerability. The lyrics are poetic and introspective, exploring themes of love, loss, and existential angst.
Still House Plants' music is known for its raw energy and emotional depth. Their music is challenging and thought-provoking, inviting listeners to engage with complex emotions and ideas. 
Although it's rather hard to be really innovative nowadays, "If I don't make it, I love u" is a bold and innovative album that pushes the boundaries of contemporary music. It showcases Still House Plants' unique artistic vision and their willingness to uncompromisingly experiment with different sounds and textures while still being organic and pleasantly listenable.

Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2024 at 04:36
What I got so far:

Pinneaple Thief: It Leads to This - 9
Big Big Train: The Likes of Us - 8 (could be a 9, album is really good)
Amarok: Hope - 7 (enjoying this the more I listen to, probably an 8 for now)
Ovrwrd: There Are No Ordinary Moments - 7
Jane Getter Premonition - 7
Ihsahn - 7
Caligula's Horse: Charcoal Grace - 7
Midas Fall: Cold Waves Divide Us - 7
Terrapath: Plantoid - 7
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2024 at 01:11
Australian instrumental experimental rock group Montresor released their most recent album, "Autopoiesis," on May 24, 2024. This ensemble, which started out as a quartet, is now augmented by two clarinettists, a bassoonist, a pianist, and two keyboardists who play additional keys. "Autopoiesis" is the first album by Montresor in nine years and highlights the band's experimental style and instrumental prowess. Considerably influenced by the Rock in Opposition movement, the band's extended lineup on this outstanding album results in complex time signature alterations, otherworldly atmospheres, dense structures, ethereal melodies, and a wide spectrum of musical textures. "Autopoiesis" is a significant work in the realm of contemporary avant-prog and, in my opinion, the best Montresor's album to date.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2024 at 06:11
^ the bad thing about generative AI is that the generated content often isn’t correct.
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2024 at 05:53
"Proximity & Chance" is the fifth full-length studio album by English multi-instrumentalist and composer John Holden. It once again adequately displayed his enormous talent. The album combines elements of progressive rock with inspiration from classical music. Throughout the tunes on this album, John Holden's sophisticated compositions and perceptive lyrics are on full display. "Proximity & Chance" features eight noteworthy tracks, such as the epics "The Man Who Would Be King," "Burnt Cork and Limelight," and "Chance (Under One Sun)." This captivating album is a must-have for fans of symphonic prog-rock. 
Released on May 29, 2024, Holden's new album, with its emotional depth, dreamy atmosphere, technical mastery, and outstanding performances by Holden and additional musicians—who include male and female vocalists—already earned positive reviews from critics and favourable feedback from fans. 

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2024 at 06:09
^ Moyan, are you using AI programs to produce such content?

I'd much rather reviews in your own words that express your specific feelings of the albums than such produced or lifted content. And I think that personal touch helps with discussion here.

EDIT: Like how much of those kinds of posts come straight out of your brain (say based on your impressions of listening to the music)? I so wish that I could be confident that the PA forum is a refuge from AI generated content. I don't think it adds value to a discussion forum and I hate it for personal reasons.

Edited by Logan - May 31 2024 at 07:08
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2024 at 07:17
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ Moyan, are you using AI programs to produce such content? 
No, I don't. BTW, can you prove your de facto accusation that my comments are AI-generated?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2024 at 07:23
^ I did not accuse you of it, I asked whether it was the case. Mike brought up the idea of AI generated content a few posts up in response to you. I have wondered myself if it might be, and so I asked you if it was. What do you expect me to prove? Could you prove your location as listed, for instance?

By the way, people have been saying that you should be banned because you are Svetonio, something you deny, I was not fully convinced despite the major similarities until this response as I have seen this same attitude, phrasing, and defensiveness from Svetonio (or Svet clones). You have been flooding and I do believe that you have not been forthcoming. I am suspending you, and some have told me that I should have done it long ago, but I genuinely do believe in trying to give people the benefit of the doubt. More fool me. Svet or Svet clone, I don't care. Please control yourself and stay away for good this time. It was obvious from the moment you started posting that you were a past member, and I was at least convinced that you had been banned multiple times before (even the avatar gave it away). I do believe in giving people more chances, but some will never change or be willing to change.

Edited by Logan - May 31 2024 at 07:48
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2024 at 23:23
Thumbs Up
Valdez View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Valdez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2024 at 17:14

This one is going to be hard to beat if it gets the attention it deserves. Holy Smokes!  From Netherlands.

Look to Windward.  The last scattering surface. 

If nothing else check out the 8th track "Theia arrived one fateful day" The female vocalist is amazing

https://looktowindward.bandcamp.com/album/the-last-scattering-surface

Edited by Valdez - June 04 2024 at 17:28
https://bakullama1.bandcamp.com/album/sleepers-2024

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2024 at 07:16

Deleted ... sent as PM per request

Edited by moshkito - June 05 2024 at 07:25
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>