Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums you dislike with one song you do

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albums you dislike with one song you do
    Posted: October 05 2021 at 23:36
This thread is sort of the opposite of the "good albums with one bad song" thread. Though I specifically avoided using objective language in the title so we skip the arguments about how it's all inherently subjective (it is). In any case, I'm posting this mostly out of curiosity. I wonder if these answers will make me more or less upset than the aforementioned thread, since I adore many of those "least favorite" tracks on great albums from that one haha. I can't think of a good example for my personal tastes quite yet. Maybe it will come to me later.

I think you get the gist. If you like one track at least a decent amount from an album filled with other tracks that failed to stimulate (maybe even bore) you, discuss it here.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 00:22
More Fool Me is all that keeps SEBT from being a perfect prog record for me. 

Instant skip and mood killer.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 02:53
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I think you misread the title of the topic. This is not that other topic.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 02:58
One album that comes to mind for me is The Edgar Winter Group - They Only Come Out At Night, the one great track being "Frankenstein":

It even has cowbell on it!!

Edited by I prophesy disaster - October 06 2021 at 03:00
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 03:35
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I think you misread the title of the topic. This is not that other topic.

Yeah, he means the other way round e.g. if you loved More Fool Me and hated the rest of SEBTP (there's probably someone).
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 05:17
King Crimson's Red album and the classic song "Starless", which saves the album from being a 2-star dud.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 07:26
One that springs to mind is the dreaded ELP  Love Bitch album - Canario is a good track.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 07:43
ELP - In the Hot Seat - it's got a re-worked version of Pictures at an Exhibition
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 01:34
^Kind of a work-around, but I suppose that counts haha.
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 03:08
The only controversial one I can think of is Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother which quite frankly bores the heck out of me except for "Summer '68" which I find kind of cute.
Other examples include:
- Camel - Dust And Dreams: "Hopeless Anger"
- David Bowie - Tonight: "Loving The Alien"
- Electric Light Orchestra - Discovery: "Don't Bring Me Down"
- Frank Zappa - Zappa In New York: "The Black Page"
- Mr. Bungle - The Raging Wrath Of The Easter Bunny: "Hypocrites"
- Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero: "Another Version Of The Truth"
- Rush - Roll The Bones: "Where's My Thing?"
- Steve Hackett - Till We Have Faces: "The Rio Connection"
- The Alan Parsons Project - Ammonia Avenue: "Don't Answer Me"
- The Mars Volta - Noctourniquet: "The Whip Hand"
- Yes - Talk: "Silent Spring"
- Zamla Mammaz Manna - Schlagerns Mystik: "Ödet"
SuperMetro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 05:07
I do not really care for Meddle that much, the tracks are pretty good, but it is sort of like Genesis's Trespass how most the stuff is very soft acoustic stuff with the exception of their legendary last tracks. Meddle has Echoes, which is probably my favorite Pink Floyd song and maybe even side long piece along with King Crimson's Lizard and ELP's Tarkus. Not saying that the other songs are bad, they certainly are not. I like Side One as well, just that the tracks do not interest me as much. One of these days I might really enjoy Meddle's first side as much as the masterpiece of Echoes.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 06:43
Dream Theater's The Astonishing had one good song. Don't remember which one, but the rest of the record wasn't my thing.
SuperMetro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 07:55
I am sorry with this other unpopular opinion, but...

A Visit to Newport Hospital - Egg. I found that one to be excellent, while the other songs not so much. Contrasong was decent, Boilk reminded me too much of Revolution 9, and Long Piece made me a little bored due to the lack of concept. If Long Piece #3 had a concept, then I would like it better. It is like calling you cafe "Dream Cafe", good cuisine, but a terrible name that would tell you not to go there. That is exactly what Long Piece #3 is. 
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 07:55
Jethro Tull's later albums all fit this description for me, or close to it, anyway.

Stormwatch was pretty much the last album I enjoyed in its entirety.  After that one, I just felt like Ian Anderson had lost his mojo for songwriting (and also quickly began losing his vocal ability).

"A" had Black Sunday, but I can live without the rest of that album.

"Broadsword" was a little better, but not by much - maybe 3 or 4 tracks I liked.

"Under Wraps" has about 3 tracks I enjoy as well, the rest was dross.

"Crest Of A Knave" - same.  Again, maybe 2 or 3 tracks that I could get into.

"Rock Island" was a dud, with "The Whalers Dues" being the only track that had any worth to me.

"Catfish Rising" was a bit of an exception for me - several tracks on that one were pretty good in my opinion, notably "Roll Yer Own," "Rocks On The Road," "Thinking Round Corners," "Like A Tall Thin Girl," and "Gold-Tipped Boots..." were all tracks I thought were pretty good, solid Tull material.

"Roots To Branches" was dismal and boring, with "Beside Myself" being the only song I found even marginally interesting.

"Dot Com" - another dud.  Barre's main riff in "Hunt By Numbers" is high-level, but even then it's not enough to save the song, and the rest of the album is a joke.

(It pains me to express these views, as I am a HUGE JT fan.  I've seen them 11 times in concert over the decades.  As far as I'm concerned, their output from "Benefit" through "Songs From The Wood" is absolutely stellar, and rivals the best any of their prog-band peers were putting out.)
DIGNITAS - FIRMITAS - GRAVITAS - COMITAS - LIBERTAS
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 08:26
^ Roots to Branches is one of my favorites from Jethro Tull. Tongue
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 08:52
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

^ Roots to Branches is one of my favorites from Jethro Tull. Tongue

I'm truly glad you enjoy it!  I saw them on the tour for Roots to Branches at the Rosengarten Mozartsaal in Mannheim.  I've tried so hard to like that album.  I even gave it a fresh listening about a month or so ago.  I still just don't hear what you hear, LOL.  
DIGNITAS - FIRMITAS - GRAVITAS - COMITAS - LIBERTAS
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 14:21
Echolyn - Mei - "Mei"

...Only kidding....
The album Máscaras Urbanas by Rael doesn't really grab me. However, the track Momo is pretty good and it really stands out from the rest of the songs.
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 16:04
U2 - "All That You Can't Leave Behind".  It's not just the album but I can't stand U2, period.  Except for "Beautiful Day", which to me is so good I can't believe U2 wrote and performed it.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 05:47
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

ELP - In the Hot Seat - it's got a re-worked version of Pictures at an Exhibition

Hand of Truth is also good but the rest is indeed crappola of the lowest order.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 05:49
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

U2 - "All That You Can't Leave Behind".  It's not just the album but I can't stand U2, period.  Except for "Beautiful Day", which to me is so good I can't believe U2 wrote and performed it.

there are probably a load of U2 albums that might qualify for this thread but the obvious one for me is Joshua Tree and Without Or Without You. An absolute classic beauty of a song but the rest I could not care less about.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>