Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is Rush's worst album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is Rush's worst album?
    Posted: February 13 2024 at 07:53
I don't know what the worst Rush album is.  I stopped purchasing Rush albums after "Power Windows".  I don't know how or when...but I ended up with copies of Presto and Counterparts.  I'd like to backtrack and purchase the picks of the litter from the "Hold Your Fire" to "Clockwork Angels" multi-decade period.   I don't wish to wade through bottom-dwelling swill.   I have never seen a consensus opinion on the worst Rush. 

What is your least favorite Rush album? 
What do you dislike about your least favorite Rush album?

Edited by omphaloskepsis - February 13 2024 at 07:57
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2024 at 08:00
Hold Your Fire
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2024 at 08:05
Vapor Trails > Snakes

really can't get on with either...
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2024 at 08:23
There is no such thing as a worst Rush album.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2024 at 08:26
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Vapor Trails > Snakes

A friend told me that the Vapor Trails 2013 remix was a huge improvement on the original.  Is it?  I haven't heard either. Wink

Edited by omphaloskepsis - February 13 2024 at 11:11
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2024 at 08:41
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Vapor Trails > Snakes

A friend told me that the Vapor Trails 1013 remix was a huge improvement on the original.  Is it?  I haven't heard either. Wink

I'll be honest, to these ears, literally all the tracks sound the same. If I played say Counterparts, at any point I would know what track I was listening to and indeed roughly how far thru the track. Put VT on and I could be anywhere on the album... every time I hear it (and I bought it when it was first released) within a couple of tracks, I have zoned out and lost interest; it's a complete mess.
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2024 at 08:44
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Maybe not, but among what I consider to be the worse Rush albums, it's particularly down to Test for Echo and Vapor Trails.
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2024 at 08:57
Hold Your Fire is my least played Rush album. Smile
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2024 at 09:05
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

That's true. I have neither a favourite Rush album, nor a least favourite Rush album. They all sound the same to me, including the seven Rush albums I own on CD. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 13 2024 at 09:05
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2024 at 09:05
My least favorites are Test for Echo, Roll The Bones, and Presto.....I'm not a huge fan but I do like the earlier ones like most people.
Pete Pardo picks

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2024 at 09:59
They lost me after Permanent Waves. There are some good songs here and there, but IMHO they never rose to great heights in their later albums, which to me are all uneven. 
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2024 at 10:15
Roll The Bones. For me, it's mostly sleep inducing. Dreamline rocks though.
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2024 at 11:02
Anything after Presto.
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2024 at 11:02
The early 90s is when they really started to phone it in, in my opinion. The hiatus leading up to Vapor Trails (tragic though the cause of it may have been) definitely rekindled their creativity even if it took them until 2012 to make something worthy of the old standards again.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2024 at 11:10
Hold Your Fire - when I heard that I couldn't make it past the first track and stopped listening to Rush. I've caught up with all their albums since but still dislike their 80s output. Unlike some I really like Vapor Trails.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2024 at 11:32
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

What do you dislike about your least favorite Rush album?
The electronic drum sound on Hold Your Fire. It blows my mind how Neil Peart went from one of the best recorded drum sounds in the late 70s/early 80s to that plastic Casio shіt.
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Muumi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muumi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2024 at 12:16
It must be Vapor Trails.
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2024 at 12:34
I like all Rush albums, but my least favorite is Presto. I enjoy "Show Don't Tell," "Chain Lightning," "The Pass," and "Red Tide," but the rest of the album is mediocre.
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2024 at 12:50
Everything I've seen and heard has Test for Echo as the consensus least-favorite Rush album.

For myself, I've always considered the first two albums to be amateur efforts. In the 80s, Grace Under Pressure, while not terrible, is definitely below par. And while I've heard bits and pieces every now and again, I've never bought a Rush album after Presto, especially after hearing parts of Roll the Bones. 
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2024 at 13:03
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

In the 80s, Grace Under Pressure, while not terrible, is definitely below par. 

blimey, which bits are below par? it's one of their most consistent offerings!?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>