Topic Closed"Filler" tracks on prog albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Filler" tracks on prog albums
    Posted: May 04 2006 at 04:44
I just read a review of Tool - 10,000 Days ... the reviewer complained about two tracks that he called "filler": Lipan Conjuring and Viginti Tres.

My problem with that is: The album has a play time of 77 minutes! Even if one doesn't like these tracks, I don't think that they should be taken into account when determining a rating for the album. IMO it's just additional content that shouldn't affect the rating - wouldn't it be awkward if the album was rated higher if they had left out these tracks?
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 04:52
As far as I am concerned an album lasting 77 mins is simply too long (there was a debate almost two years ago about the idealalbum lenght and surprisingly the results was close to 40 mins - the lenght of a vinyl)

inevitably there are tracks on an album (a forteriori the long ones) that are obviously used as filling the content of an album behind the so-called hits to be pushed by radio airplay.

I think it must be distinguished between the "second choice" stuff a band writes (which I would call tracks that band clearly intended to be prime stuff but ended up in lesser mode not quite as good (artistically succesful) and thje obvious throwaway pieces that are called fillers.

Tarkus

1. Tarkus: Eruption (2:44) 
    Stones Of Years (3:44) 
    Iconoclast (1:16)
    Mass (3:12) 
   Manticore (1:52) 
   Battlefield (3:51) 
   Aquatarkus (4:04)  >>> Tarkus is a core track of the albumStar
2. Jeremy Bender (1:51)   >> a tyical ragtime piece , a facet of ELPThumbs Up>> not my cup of tea
3. Bitches Crystal (3:58) >> second choice material>> still worthySmile
4. The Only Way (Hymn)(3:49) >>> Classical rework >> core material of the album Star
Toccata in F and Prelude VI (themes used in intro and bridge only)composed by: Bach
5. Infinite Space (Conclusion)(3:20)  >> cannot really remember it but likely linked to previous track
6. A Time And A Place (3:02) >> second choice material>> still worthy
7. Are You Ready Eddy? (2:10) >> nothing to do with ELP, a throwaway piece >> a fillerThumbs Down

In this case the filler is short and at the end of the album, can be skipped (can even be fun) etc.. so it does not really ruin the album. But if tyhere are some three tracks like that, they hinder the smooth progression of the album, then it becomes a problem. It should definitely be taken into account on the ratings

Edited by Sean Trane - May 04 2006 at 05:06
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 04:55
Yes, they should IMO. It's not "additional" content unless they're bonus tracks, because for me, an album is always an entity. I would always rather listen to 45 minutes of brilliant music, than to 77 minutes of music, where half of the stuff is mediocre.

That's part of the reason, why many modern prog bands did absolutely nothing for me.

erlenst View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 04:59
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

I just read a review of Tool - 10,000 Days ... the reviewer complained about two tracks that he called "filler": Lipan Conjuring and Viginti Tres.

My problem with that is: The album has a play time of 77 minutes! Even if one doesn't like these tracks, I don't think that they should be taken into account when determining a rating for the album. IMO it's just additional content that shouldn't affect the rating - wouldn't it be awkward if the album was rated higher if they had left out these tracks?

Of course they should. Take another example - a 40 minute album with 10 minutes of pure sh*te. Shouldn't this be taken into consideration when reviewing the album ? Anyway, this is one of the reasons that the rating of an album isn't adequate. I would rather listen to an album with 20 minutes of amazing music, than one with 40 minutes of average music. But with the rating system, they would both get the same score.

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 05:04
I'm not talking about short albums ... I'm talking about albums that really use the full CD to the max (75+ minutes), and have tracks at the end of the album that can clearly be identified as bonus tracks. Example: Many Devin Townsend albums contain an outtake track at the end. IMO these tracks should absolutely not be taken into account when determining a rating. The artist put them there in good faith - he shouldn't be punished for using the capabilities of the CD format.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 05:10
If you are talking about bonus tracks , then please state so! Wink

Fillers are what I described in my previous post

Bonus tracks can be appreciated in the ratings if they bring a definite value to the original albums (ie in a Cd re-issue):  Genesis's SEBTP with Twilight Alehouse as bonus is a definte plusStar , but SEBTP with studio in progress version of Cinema Show are ruining the playing of the albumSleepy >> however interesting this may be.

Edited by Sean Trane - May 04 2006 at 05:12
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 05:12
It's not as simple as that, Hugues. Sometimes tracks are clearly identifiable as bonus tracks when you listen to them, although they are not marked as such in the tracklist.

I will definitely exclude these tracks from the album rating calculation on my website ... the bonus tracks of re-releases etc. are excluded anyway.
Rapataz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 06:07

I love These " Filler" Tracks. I donīt like albums having one killer song after the other (that sounds like a Compilation Or Best-Of Album (I personally hate Best of Albums and think they shouldnīt be included in the archives to me)

A really good Album has to be listened to from beginning to end end and has to be homogene all the time and has to have short resting breaks after total freak-outs

www.myspace.com/rasayanaband
R o V e R View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 06:28
Originally posted by Rapataz Rapataz wrote:

I love These " Filler" Tracks. I donīt like albums having one killer song after the other (that sounds like a Compilation Or Best-Of Album (I personally hate Best of Albums and think they shouldnīt be included in the archives to me)

A really good Album has to be listened to from beginning to end end and has to be homogene all the time and has to have short resting breaks after total freak-outs

Confusedyou are not talking about filler tracks,

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 06:36
I think that the usual definition of a filler track is: a track that is weaker than the others (lower quality, not just lower complexity/technicality or interlude/intro/outro) and has been put on the album in order to increase the playtime. Like the artist thought "I only have 30 minutes worth of music ... let's goof around a bit, play some blues/rock song/whatever and add these songs to the album until we have 45 minutes".

IMO that type of filler track should most definitely be taken into account when rating the album, as it lowers the quality of the album. But if an artist decides to publish 60 minutes of quality music on an album and then also adds outtakes/bonus tracks on the remaining 15 minutes of the CD, these should not be held against him.
oddentity View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 06:56
I hate the word "filler".  I think it's disrespectful to the artists involved to call what they have worked hard to create "filler".   Sometimes it might be justified, but all too often reviewers lazily throw the word "filler" at tracks they don't comprehend and haven't taken the time to appreciate.  

So much of it is subjective.   What is one's man's filler is another man's meat and potatoes.    Ideally, a reviewer should, when faced with a track they initially dislike, take it upon himself to understand the intentions of the band in creating it, as well as their overall vision.   Simply dismissing it as "filler" is mindless and doesn't benefit anyone. 

The word needs to be expunged from the dictionary!

-
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 06:58
^ I don't mind the word at all. But I agree that it is often applied too easily.
CryoftheCarrots View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 06:59
  The negative reviews of "filler" tracks is one of my bigest peeves with this site.I can't stand the term "filler" with regards to any album.The artists record these pieces of music or white noise or whatever as a legitimate part of an album.Just because a track is shorter or has no vocals doesn't mean it should be written off.
  With regards to the "10000 Days" pieces mentioned they are a bridge or introduce a theme to a following track.Tool have always done this so it is a part of what they are.
  Regarding your original question Mike, I think they have to be included.Just because a reviewer is too narrow minded to recognise a short bridge or amusing addition is their problem. Another reviewer may actually appreciate these bridges and rate them accordingly.I know I would.Good topic and one that has been bugging me.

Edited by CryoftheCarrots - May 04 2006 at 07:01
"There is a lot in this world to be tense and intense about"

MJK
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 07:02
Think of a hidden track that contains 10 minutes of silence and then a door clapping. Now if I have to rate such a track (on my website for example, where you rate tracks not albums) I cannot give this track a high rating. But I would feel bad if this track was considered in computing the album average.
Terra Australis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 07:18
If an artist includes a short 'different' piece of music or even noise then it is not filler. It has been included for a purpose as directed by their muse. The only 'filler' are tracks identified as such. e.g. bonus tracks, remastered additional tracks.

Present day prog bands do not need radio friendly shorter tracks either as it would probably not be played anyway.

Either way I treat all tracks as part of the purpose of the CD.

Also, tracks are not filler if I don't like them, they are not long enough or are humerous.

Even though I could make my own CD with my favourite tracks, I feel I might be missing the total experience to do so.
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.bandcamp.com
CryoftheCarrots View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 07:24

Think of a hidden track that contains 10 minutes of silence and then a door clapping. Now if I have to rate such a track (on my website for example, where you rate tracks not albums) I cannot give this track a high rating. But I would feel bad if this track was considered in computing the album average.
 Ah but a hidden track is just that and so cant be included in the normal rating.I have cd's with hidden tracks and haven't found them!Wink
"There is a lot in this world to be tense and intense about"

MJK
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 07:31

Hidden tracks are different this you describe is completely annoying...

Originally posted by oddentity oddentity wrote:

I hate the word "filler".  I think it's disrespectful to the artists involved to call what they have worked hard to create "filler".   Sometimes it might be justified, but all too often reviewers lazily throw the word "filler" at tracks they don't comprehend and haven't taken the time to appreciate.  

Believe me, the artistes know when they create a filler >>> look at my first post where i make a difference between second choice material and fillers

Edited by Sean Trane - May 04 2006 at 07:35
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 07:37
Originally posted by oddentity oddentity wrote:

So much of it is subjective.   What is one's man's filler is another man's meat and potatoes.    Ideally, a reviewer should, when faced with a track they initially dislike, take it upon himself to understand the intentions of the band in creating it, as well as their overall vision.   Simply dismissing it as "filler" is mindless and doesn't benefit anyone. 

-
I absolutely agree...I hate the word "filler" also
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 07:39
Hidden tracks come in many different forms:

- Completely hidden before the first track (you have to play the first track and rewind)
- Completely hidden after the last track (you have to play the last track to the end and then you get to the hidden track)
- Track is on the disc, can be selected on the player, but doesn't appear in the track list printed on the CD (or the sleeve)
- Track is merged with the last track (last track contains two tracks separated by silence)

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - May 04 2006 at 07:40
oddentity View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 07:43
Sean Trane wrote:

Quote Believe me, the artistes know when they create a filler >>> look at my first post where i make a difference between second choice material and fillers

But how do you know what the artists themselves consider to be filler?  And how do you know what every listener thinks?    

Above, you labelled "Are You Ready, Eddy? as filler, but why do you suppose it really is filler?      If a person enjoys the song as part of the whole ELP experience, then for him it isn't "filler".    

Edited by oddentity - May 04 2006 at 07:44
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>