Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is "In the court of the crimson king"  over-rated?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs "In the court of the crimson king" over-rated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Poll Question: ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
41 [28.87%]
101 [71.13%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is "In the court of the crimson king" over-rated?
    Posted: February 20 2007 at 14:46
I don't get it how so many people call this the best album of all time.  3 out of the 5 songs are'nt even really prog IMO unless you count anything with synths/mellotrone as prog.
Songs like In the court, Epitaph, Talk to the wind are really simple and stretched... the Chorus of "in the court" is repeated like 30 times, the verses sound all the same, epitaph is also just your usual Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus order with little variation in the song.
I know that it was innovative at it's time , but i think that it now hasn't enough to offer for a prog album. The only really good song that doesn't feel stretched here is IMO "schizoid man"
Father Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2007 at 14:54
Hell, no !!!

no band had sounded like that at the time!

-Peace
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2007 at 14:58
Yes, it's overrated, but just a little bitWink. Well, many people will agree that this is the first "real" progressive record (let us not start that debate again please), and the album is meriting a lot from that fact. Apart from that, it's an excellent record. I wouldn't go to such extreme saying it's the best album of all times but it's an excellent record nonetheless.

By the way, I Talk To The Wind is not so simple...apart from the ballad part, there's really nicely developed jazzy drum section layered with some nice flute...and I could stand in defense of other songs too, but it's a matter of personal taste.

Just my two eurocents.Tongue
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2007 at 14:58
I agree that the song structures are fairly simple, but I don't think complexity has anything to do with how good an album is. The only thing on ITCOTCK that is less than amazing is the somewhat overlong improvisational part of Moonchild.
Spacemac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2007 at 15:30
No No No!
It's really GREAT album Clap
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2007 at 15:35
Having a verse chrous structure says nothing about whether it's prog or not. But yourself into the timeframe of 1969 and imagine hearing any of those tracks especially, 21st Century Schizoid Man. The album isa masterpiece, not overrated by any means.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2007 at 15:49
If I look at its importance ITCOTCK is one of the most pivotal progrock albums, for example the tension between the female side (acoustic guitars, Mellotron, flute) and male side (fiery guitar and saxophone) as Edward Macan pointed at in his amazing book Rocking The Classics. But personally I prefer other adventurous and creative progrock albums like Foxtrot by Genesis, ELP their debut album, CTTE by Yes and The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn by Syd Barrett Pink Floyd Clap
cmidkiff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2007 at 16:03
This album isn't all that groundbreaking except for maybe trk 1, as it owes allot to the Moody Blues. However its still a great album.
cmidkiff
magnus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2007 at 16:06
Not really, it's a very impressive album IMO. Especially considering it's their debut! Thumbs%20Up
The scattered jigsaw of my redemption laid out before my eyes
Each piece as amorphous as the other - Each piece in its lack of shape a lie
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2007 at 16:07
It is not overrated!!!! How can you say that about the first (disputed but I think it is) progressive rock album?

All parts of the album (imo) are really innovative for the time and just simply amazing.

I basically agree with Eric on this one.
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2007 at 16:14
Originally posted by Wuschel Wuschel wrote:

I don't get it how so many people call this the best album of all time.  3 out of the 5 songs are'nt even really prog IMO unless you count anything with synths/mellotrone as prog.
Songs like In the court, Epitaph, Talk to the wind are really simple and stretched... the Chorus of "in the court" is repeated like 30 times, the verses sound all the same, epitaph is also just your usual Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus order with little variation in the song.
I know that it was innovative at it's time , but i think that it now hasn't enough to offer for a prog album. The only really good song that doesn't feel stretched here is IMO "schizoid man"

Overrated is entirely subjective, thus:

To you, ITCOTCK is very much overrated.
To me, ITCOTCK is a four star album, so it is slightly overrated.
To many people, ITCOTCK is a five star album, so it is slightly underrated.

Why worry about it?
mickstafa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2007 at 16:14
Love the album, but Moonchild really blows. I've never understood that track and get completely bored listening to it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2007 at 16:16
I don't get all the Moonchild hating going on here. I love that track and can listen to the noodling all the time. Its one of the reasonsI like the King Crimson albums I have (Red, Larks' Tongues In Aspic, ITCOTCK). I love the noodling!
mickstafa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2007 at 16:19
Originally posted by progismylife progismylife wrote:

I don't get all the Moonchild hating going on here. I love that track and can listen to the noodling all the time. Its one of the reasonsI like the King Crimson albums I have (Red, Larks' Tongues In Aspic, ITCOTCK). I love the noodling!

Improv is good, but I don't hold Moonchild at all in the same vein as Red or LTiA. It is far too simplistic. I really, really am amazed there is not more moonchild hating going on. I know each person has their own tastes (yadda yadda) but I really don't see how many people can like this track.  Is there a poll on the relevance of moonchild? Wink

Moonchild always gets the skip button after the wonderful 2.5 minute (or so) intro.

Edited by mickstafa - February 20 2007 at 16:20
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2007 at 16:23

In my estimation it would be a five star album even if after 21st Century Schizoid Man the rest of the vinyl was just cut with a blank, silent groove. 

There's more concentrated innovation and brilliance in that song than most bands achieve in a career.  (What, me exaggerate? Wink)

The rest of the album isn't a total waste of time, either...
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2007 at 16:29
Originally posted by mickstafa mickstafa wrote:

Originally posted by progismylife progismylife wrote:

Improv is good, but I don't hold Moonchild at all in the same vein as Red or LTiA. It is far too simplistic. I really, really am amazed there is not more moonchild hating going on. I know each person has their own tastes (yadda yadda) but I really don't see how many people can like this track.  Is there a poll on the relevance of moonchild? Wink

Moonchild always gets the skip button after the wonderful 2.5 minute (or so) intro.

I made a poll abut Moonchild. Don't know how relevant it is though. I think KC did a gutsy thing by recording an improv. I mean a few bands do that in the studio and come out with a song but KC just recorded the noodling part. Very interesting and probably unheard of at the time.
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2007 at 16:38
I think it's not quite as good as many people say, but still a five star album. So not really.
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2007 at 17:08
Overrated? Not for me. I think its a masterpiece and it gets the attention it deserves (at least amongst prog fans)

DarioIndjic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2007 at 17:15
An album containing song like Epitaph couldn't be overratedSmile
Ars longa , vita brevis
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2007 at 17:21
No way. It's every bit as good as its reputation suggests and that reputation is well deserved. It's a hugely influential album to the 'symphonic' sound, imo. Legend has it Genesis retreated to a country house playing this album for hours on end prior to the writing process of Trespass. This wasn't the first album to use the mellotron by any means, but I wonder if it was maybe the most influential to bands who did decide to buy one subsequently.

Prog shouldn't be all about complexity, either. Melody should ALWAYS come first, for my taste, rather than musical derring do or off kilter weirdness. I like those things, yes, but without a good melodic core they can leave me cold. King Crimson at times tend to be a bit TOO abstract for my taste (their more recent output, certainly), but definitely not on this album.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>