Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElitism in Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elitism in Prog?
    Posted: May 03 2010 at 13:42
So many many people on the interwebs have stated prog fans are Elitest (I would say that an elitest comment but whatev) but from the looks of it after being on the forums for a bit it seems to me that most of us are more open minded and listen to alot of different genres

Opinions?
"There are people who say we [Pink Floyd] should make room for younger bands. That's not the way it works. They can make their own room."- David Gilmour
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 14:00
Yes, we are an elite - but no, we are not elitist!
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 14:15
It depends on the individual, surely? Some of us are more open-minded than others, but that's true of fans of any genre.
elder08 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 14:22
Well it seemed the as though the majority was more open minded.  I'm grouping all prog fans together for this one. Hug
"There are people who say we [Pink Floyd] should make room for younger bands. That's not the way it works. They can make their own room."- David Gilmour
KnifeSkills View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 15:04
Well, the thing that makes prog more compelling to us is that it's more complex and has higher technical abilities. I for one can enjoy simple indie tunes just as equally if they are well produced.

But when you tell someone that you mainly listen to prog because it is more complex than most musical styles and demonstrates better techniques then you can easily sound like a snob even if you aren't one.
And of course this perception of the style can easily elevate elitism in people who are already prone to such behaviors.

So yes, I'd definitely say that prog fans as a whole are quite elitists, but as individuals I think plenty of us are alright.

Also elitism doesn't necessarily mean that you're not open minded. But just the definition of prog makes it so that in the comparison between bands you'd sound like an elitist prick if you're not careful.
"I prefer Dream Theater over Metallica because of the complexity and higher technical level." Could really be the same as saying "I like Panthera more because they are more brutal and have more intensity to their atmosphere." but guess which one sounds like you're saying that you're better?
WileyMarshall View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 15:35
Of course progheads are elitists!  Have you ever met one?
We're usually so used to sitting by and watching other people talk about their music that we get excited when it's FINALLY our turn to talk about ours.  Even if we aren't elitists, we sure as hell seem like 'em.

But it really is easy to seem like an elitist when you listen to some of the most beautiful and unique music out there.
(Now there's a song within a song)
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 16:06
I don't think it is all that elitist to believe we are better than the rest of them....
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 16:07
Yeah, we're elitist. We listen to music that requires attention and an open and receptive ear. We appreciate things that are complex(not to say that we don't also appreciate simpler music). It confused and confounded the guys I played football with in high school, back in the mid-seventies, when I had Tales from Topographic Oceans playing in the locker room. They'd ask me with disdain-what the f*#k is that crap and I'd try to explain and of course it's difficult not to sound elitist when explaining prog to some one who isn't into it at all.

Another important point I do want to make is that one can be elitist without being an A-hole or prick. It's all about how we behave.
Lizzy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 16:08
Well, it's rather difficult to generalise the answer to the question because I'm not sure how many of us have met at least a prog fan in real life, and from a forum full of us it is even harder to tell how one acts outside this circle. And I agree with the above 'it depends on the individual'. Most of us here can speak for ourselves.
If by elitist we mean snobbish and arrogant then, yes! I am one! (but getting treatment). But if we are talking about living in a prog shell and ignoring other genres, then the answer's no! I like to discover what others see for example in mainstream music and understand their preference for that, and their reluctance when it comes to prog. I can put myself in their shoes and analyse things from their point of view. And most of the time their reasoning has a fairly strong basis.
Property of Queen Productions...
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 16:37
WHAT? Prog isn't the best musical genre!? OMG!

Tongue
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 16:43
Originally posted by elder08 elder08 wrote:

So many many people on the interwebs have stated prog fans are Elitest

What! Who? Where?
Let's smoke 'm out and kick some sense into them!
We may be elitist but we won't shy away from a good man to man fight! Evil Smile

Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 16:44

Was that me above? Ermm
tarkus1980 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 16:48
I think prog fans are sometimes elitist, but I think that people who are anti-prog are often certainly just as snobby, if not more so.  As long as prog fans don't talk about nonsense like the objective superiority of prog rock to other rock forms, or say things that imply prog rock is just a couple of steps below classical music in complexity and sophistication, or that rock music should be judged by how complex it is and how hard to play it is, they're just fine by me.

Edited by tarkus1980 - May 03 2010 at 19:00
"History of Rock Written by the Losers."
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 18:16
Prog fans are the most elitist bunch I know, and I can legitimately say that because I'm a prog fan and nobody I know is more elitist than I am
Zombywoof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 18:49
Yep, I'm an elitist...

I only listen to good music, and prog just happens to be a genre full of a lot of good music!
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 19:09
Originally posted by HTCF HTCF wrote:

Prog fans are the most elitist bunch I know, and I can legitimately say that because I'm a prog fan and nobody I know is more elitist than I am

Have you ever visited another genre site?

Rap sites say they play the best music ever, Madonna, Micheael Jackson, etc have been proclaimed the best artist ever, even greatest than The Beatles.

Some other sites even insult other genres as crap and they are the saviours like Punk (Read Punk77)

On the other hand, you can come to Prog Archives and say Dream Theater,ELP and even Genesis are crap and nothing will happen, but if you dare to say you don't like Hip Hop or Rap, before ten minutes,somebody will call you close minded.

So who is the elitist?

We know what we like, but we talk about almost every genre, try going to a gangsta Rap site  saying Prog is great...hey will hunt you as a dog.

Iván

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 19:14
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Have you ever visited another genre site?

Rap sites say they play the best music ever, Madonna, Micheael Jackson, etc have been proclaimed the best artist ever, even greatest than The Beatles.

Some other sites even insult other genres as crap and they are the saviours like Punk (Read Punk77)

On the other hand, you can come to Prog Archives and say Dream Theater,ELP and even Genesis are crap and nothing will happen, but if you dare to say you don't like Hip Hop or Rap, before ten minutes,somebody will call you close minded.

So who is the elitist?

We know what we like, but we talk about almost every genre, try going to a gangsta Rap site  saying Prog is great...hey will hunt you as a dog.

Iván

There are other forms of elitism than musical elitism
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 19:21

There are other forms of elitism than musical elitism

But that's not what we are talking about, we are talking about Prog elitism, and that's related with music.

Of course we may have a couple of racists, fanatics or whatever but not more than in any other site, and as  a fact I hardly seen a more tolerant site than his one.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 03 2010 at 19:22

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 19:57
Hi,

I don't think that "prog" fans are any more elitist than "fan'atics" that think the world does not exist, except the band they like!  ... good ... go spend your money so they can get more girls! I'm pretty sure that I could use them Kiss leather pants!

I do think that there is a big difference between a lot of "pop music fans" and "prog music fans", and usually we do not spend the time discussing a postion of someone's anatomy here, or weather Brittany went out without this or that ... and in fact there are times when the music discussions are out right so intelligent and out of town that many folks can not even handle it.

Other times some of us intentionally turn some people off and that might make us look/sound ellitist, but if you take things personal about some music that you like ... man ... you really need to get some therapy somewhere!  Big time! ...

Edited by moshkito - May 03 2010 at 19:58
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 20:47
I see a lot of elitism on these boards (and I have been guilty of it myself) mainly in the form of putting down fans of other styles of music as unsophisticated or closed-minded. I admit to being a music snob, but just because someone likes Pop or Punk doesn't make them an idiot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>