Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoes Rate Your Music Have Prog Right?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does Rate Your Music Have Prog Right?
    Posted: March 20 2012 at 03:37
RYM as the web's foremost music opinion aggregator is the closest thing we have to an official word on what people think of music. (Of course it's not actually official though and can still be criticised or argued with.)

So here's the current top ten and bottom ten prog albums of all time according to RYM. Is it pretty accurate or way off? How good a job does it do at reflecting the status of music?

Bottom 10

10. The Album - Caravan
9. Giant For A Day - Gentle Giant
8. A Propos De - Ange
7. Out Of Reach - Can
6. Real To Reel - Starcastle
5. Open Your Eyes- Yes (frequently subtitled And Close Your Ears)
4. Pleasure & The Pain - Saga
3. Free As A Bird - Supertramp
2. In The Hotseat- Emerson, Lake & Palmer
1. Moonchild Variations - Screaming Gorilla

Top 10

10. Selling England By The Pound - Genesis
9. Meddle - Pink Floyd
8. The Wall - Pink Floyd
7. Close To The Edge - Yes
6. Tago Mago - Can
5. Red - King Crimson
4. Animals - Pink Floyd
3. In The Court Of The Crimson King - King Crimson
2. Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
1. The Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd

What, no Atom Heart Mother?

Seriously though, now I've typed that out I think we can say the answer to the inital question is probably "no", if only because you don't need five Pink Floyd albums in there. The list may reflect the *reality* of what people think about progressive rock because for many people Pink Floyd is about the only prog act they'll ever listen to, but it's not a balanced/accurate picture.

Amusing to see Can and Yes make the best and worst albums list.

I never heard of Screaming Gorilla before but you can be sure I'll check them out now.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 03:49
Well, just as our chart is a popularity contest so is their's and they don't get to pick and chose which albums are represented. It is impossible to criticise any chart that is constructed algorithmically from ratings.
What?
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 04:04
It's still based on what every individual think of a album, i wouldn't count on this to create my own library because i have a different evaluation on some of albums. It could only be useful to someone who want sell something in a business, to help him decided what to buy and how much quantities.

Edited by rdtprog - March 20 2012 at 04:04
yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 06:28
In the end, who really cares. How we choose what's good or not is totally related to how we like/dislike a specific album. All ratings are a popularity contest regardless of the method used to create the list(s). Every single one of us can look at any ratings list, be it albums, guitar players, vocalist, etc. and have issues with them. Why bother. It's about music that makes us happy and that we want to listen to. How they fall on some one else's list is irrelevant and unimportant.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 07:51
I think because we are a site dedicated to prog, when it comes to ratings we're more reliable.  Throw in ratings by people who aren't prog fans and you get different results.  Having said that, there are no great prog albums at the bottom and few of us would agree about what should be on top so take it with a grain of salt. Wink
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 08:18
I think RYM isn't far off the mark - in general the Best and Worst selections coincide with PA ratings.  Like PA, they probably have a large enough sample size to ensure a statistically accurate reflection of general public opinion.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
VanVanVan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 08:30
For a second I thought the bottom 10 was the top 10 and I was rather baffled. LOL Top 10 isn't too bad, just a bit mainstream. 
"The meaning of life is to give life meaning."-Arjen Lucassen
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 09:45
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

RYM as the web's foremost music opinion aggregator is the closest thing we have to an official word on what people think of music. (Of course it's not actually official though and can still be criticised or argued with.)

All in all ... it's a very sad list ...and not really representative of the mode at all ... but then, Dean's answer says it all. It's just a popularity contest ... and people always vote for favorites, even if they have never heard anything else!

The difference between so many of us here in PA and a web site like that might not be much ... but we have a database and a history that rivals anyone on the Internet, and the listing alone is probably bigger and better than ALL of those websites on the web together!

So, who you gonna call?

Cool
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 09:56
There are people who enjoy losing their time on such a site (I mean that RYM job, of course)?

I can understand people joining Discogs and delivering valuable factual informations about bands and their discographies, but the aim of RYM is... beyond my understanding! I even think this kind of site is somewhat morbid and disturbing: it's not a site made of reviews, giving opinions by using ideas, words or concepts - it's all about rating music, turning the creations of the human mind into a horrible and unfair mathematical chart! 
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 10:11
It's 100% accurate. It takes their algorithm and gives the results. It's just as good as any other listing of prog done by a ratings site. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 10:18
To be honest I find the whole rating of things kind of lame.  If you've opened yourself up to a wide body of music it really doesn't matter.  There's stuff you like, stuff you don't like, and stuff you like better than other stuff.

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 20 2012 at 10:19
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 10:47
No because it has DSOTM, Meddle, The Wall , and ITCOTCK.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 10:55
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

No because it has DSOTM, Meddle, The Wall , and ITCOTCK.

It's basically a poll.  Polls never get anything wrong.

rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 11:53
The main reason why ratings are important, it's because it create traffic on web site, TV shows etc. It's important for those who manage those web site and also because people like to interact with others peoples by giving their point of view on different bands, celebrities, etc.
anaesthetist View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 14:44
We're all individuals and lists such as these can spark interesting debates.
If we all took note of all these lists we'd all be listening to Gotye which,apparently,is No. 1 in the charts at the moment
it's in the way that you use it
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 15:08
I see a whole lot of people dismissing this and saying "it doesn't matter" and whoa you do not understand how culture works on the internet.

Sites like this are of huge importance and the ranking of the albums *really* matters because sites and forums like this are now how a large number of people decide what to listen to. When you see an album you've never heard of rated extremely well on RYM or PA, the normal response is "Say, maybe I should give it a go."

Note that is NOT the same as popularity. Justin Bieber is immensely popular and his records have some of the worst ratings on the site. RYM's current best album of all time is OK Computer by Radiohead and its top album of 2012 so far is Weather Systems by Anathema, A PROGRESSIVE ROCK ARTIST. The experimental rock act Swans is at #2 and Gazpacho, another prog act is at #3. So this "We'd all be listening to Gotye" notion is complete horsesh*t sorry. The closest things to pop stars in the *entire top 100* for 2012 so far are Bruce Springsteen, Sinead O'Connor and Van Halen. Those are the only commercial names there.

The ratings do not reflect popularity, they reflect a level of respect. This isn't Billboard.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 15:12
That list is probably more accurate than the list on this site if you take into account how many people are on RYM.
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 15:28
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

There are people who enjoy losing their time on such a site (I mean that RYM job, of course)?

I can understand people joining Discogs and delivering valuable factual informations about bands and their discographies, but the aim of RYM is... beyond my understanding! I even think this kind of site is somewhat morbid and disturbing: it's not a site made of reviews, giving opinions by using ideas, words or concepts - it's all about rating music, turning the creations of the human mind into a horrible and unfair mathematical chart! 

Personally I find RYM to be a great tool for cataloguing my music.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 15:34
I also find Cpicard's notion that mathematics is unfair quite concerning and probably just illustrates that classic  fundamental clash between how we try to perceive things and how they are.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 16:25
No, and if you visit there I have to wonder what the hell is wrong with you?  Jazzmusicarchives, that's the place you ought to be.  LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>