Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TV shows you most recently finished watching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 51>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 02:59
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ I should check that--   I stopped watching after the first season as it seemed mediocre... but I had read the book which worked better.

Season 1 was very confusing to me (I've not read the books) and I struggled with it , but it seems to have just got better as it's gone along.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 13:01
Season 2 of Servant. More questions than answers, but enjoyable nonetheless. Rupert Grint is very good. Hopefully the third season will move things along a bit more.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2021 at 10:09
I tried His Dark Materials (2019-) and it was far from being binge-worthy. Stopped watching after 2 episodes and a half. Hey there's not a thread where we can mention those that we couldn't "recently finished", so I figured I can mention this here.

I'll next try out Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. Mini-series baby. Excellent format! Then I might give Britannia (2017-) a go.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 14:53
^ Loved Britannia and can't wait for the third series . However I strongly advise not taking it too seriously. Playing fast and loose with history (think of the Fox series Di Vinci's Demons and you aren't far off) . I mean casting Steve Pemberton as Julius Caesar (Season 2) is seriously mad ,  but a hell of a lot of fun!
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 16:01
The Stand (2020 MiniSeries)

Full Disclosure:
The Stand is my second favourite Stephen King Book. I've not read it for 35 years.

Meh
I appreciate that they tried to make it more current in production and with more shock value than the 1994 version but I just couldn't get invested in the characters. Maybe because I though the original cast was the perfect cast and unfortunately just done 10 years too soon.

Not, by any stretch of the imagination, a necessary watch.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2021 at 02:44
Head ( 6 episodes made by HBO Asia and shown on Starzplay in the UK)
The Terror (10 episodes made by AMC but shown on BBC in the UK)

I'm pairing these up as they are both polar ice based mysteries.

Head is about a fictional multi national Antarctic research base set in the present. After it goes 'radio dark' a rescue mission turns up at the base to find only one person left alive. Very cleverly written , mostly a mix of British, German , Swedish and Asian characters. Tremendous fun and one to binge!

The Terror is a heavyweight production with a great cast including Jared Harris (Chernobyl) and Ciaran Hinds (many things). Its about an actual arctic expedition from the mid 1800's to find a north west passage. Both ships disappeared and this is a modern attempt to explain what happened. Very enjoyable indeed , I binged this over 2 nights.

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2021 at 05:00
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

I tried His Dark Materials (2019-) and it was far from being binge-worthy. Stopped watching after 2 episodes and a half. Hey there's not a thread where we can mention those that we couldn't "recently finished", so I figured I can mention this here.

I'll next try out Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. Mini-series baby. Excellent format! Then I might give Britannia (2017-) a go.

I enjoyed Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell when it was first shown on the BBC, but it was when I recently saw it again on subscription during lockdown that it opened up to me fully. I love everything about it - so much so that I’m half-way through the huge book and not only finding the TV series did a very good job on it, but there is even more depth and detail to discover. 

Edited by Squonk19 - April 03 2021 at 05:01
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2021 at 13:59
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

American Gods Season 3 
Very enjoyable indeed. It's got better after a slightly faltering start but I've warmed to the various strange characters as its gone along. The introduction of Game Of Thrones actor Iwan Rheon for the last 3 episodes is also a big bonus. Apparently no decision has been made on filming Season 4 although Neil Gaiman planned the story arc for 5 seasons and so far he's managed to keep tight reins on the whole project.

Just finished it too. I was quite disappointed really. Too much character driven, without much plot. Season 1 was great, 2 and 3 were poor IMO. I've read it's been cancelled, but rumours of a conclusion have been mooted with a movie to finish off. I've just ordered the first 2 books to see how it compares to the TV show.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2021 at 14:58
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

I enjoyed Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell when it was first shown on the BBC, but it was when I recently saw it again on subscription during lockdown that it opened up to me fully. I love everything about it - so much so that I’m half-way through the huge book and not only finding the TV series did a very good job on it, but there is even more depth and detail to discover. 

I finished watching it yesterday. I liked some of its aspects a lot, but it could've been better IMO. Jonathan Strange was not that interestingly "strange" at all. Mr Norrell, on the other hand, was quite atypical and intriguing. Some spells were very innovative, backed up with impressive visual effects. Also, the ending was OK but not superb. But it has a perfect balance, insofar as I never got bored while watching. I'd give it a 7.5/10.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 03:11
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

American Gods Season 3 
Very enjoyable indeed. It's got better after a slightly faltering start but I've warmed to the various strange characters as its gone along. The introduction of Game Of Thrones actor Iwan Rheon for the last 3 episodes is also a big bonus. Apparently no decision has been made on filming Season 4 although Neil Gaiman planned the story arc for 5 seasons and so far he's managed to keep tight reins on the whole project.

Just finished it too. I was quite disappointed really. Too much character driven, without much plot. Season 1 was great, 2 and 3 were poor IMO. I've read it's been cancelled, but rumours of a conclusion have been mooted with a movie to finish off. I've just ordered the first 2 books to see how it compares to the TV show.
I enjoy character driven things so no doubt I enjoyed it for that reason. . I don't think the plot changed that much in S2 and S3 from S1.
For that standpoint perhaps its a little reminiscent of Mr Robot?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 08:02
Season 2 of Snowpiercer. Sean Bean having a ball as the nasty, power-crazed baddy lifted this season above the slightly cheesy first. Really enjoyed this one and heading for a 3rd series hopefully.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2021 at 08:56
^ We just finished Snowpiercer as well. Cool show, Looking forward to next season. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2021 at 02:35
^ yep Sean Bean is given licence to chew as much scenery as he likes!
Didn't realise it had finished S2. I've got to episode 8 so guessing it has to more to go.

After the sad passing of HRH The Duke Of Edinburgh yesterday , I've started up again on the The Crown (S2) . Matt Smith does a stand up job as the young Prince Philip and this now seems like a fitting tribute.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2021 at 04:47
Now finished Snowpiercer.

A bit on the fence about it. The German and English characters did not feel very 'real' to me. Far too many cliches and occasional over ripe accents. Interesting to find on the credits that it was part produced by ITV studios so may explain why there are so many English characters! In general I prefer their not to be otherwise credibility usually goes down the drain. I did stick with it as this type of drama usually works well although for me The Walking Dead is still much better if we are going for end of the world scenarios. Overall would give it 7/10 stars, it kept me entertained enough but I was never that 'into it' in truth.  
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 15:00
Pennyworth (Season 2)
A good watch with a few unexpected twists.
Looking forward to season three.
The most notable thing observed, by Mrs JD BTW, was the car that was driven in the last episode. A close look will show that it is a nod to the Batmobile from the Adam West era. A nice subtle touch.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 15:54
I've regularly been watching anime shows mostly on Funimation with my eldest offspring (17)* and have recently finished watching:

- Psycho-Pass (season one) -- it quite reminds me of Death Note which has been my favourite anime series.

- Akudama Drive (first and probably only season). It's made my the maker of the game Dangan Ronpa, and it reminds me of Psycho-Pass.

- The Promised Neverland (season 2). A bit of a let down at the end of this just because it felt wrapped up too quickly. Season one was particularly wonderful, I felt, and it reminded me of Never Let Me Go (one of my favourite modern novels).

- Darwin's Game. This rather reminded me of Alice in Borderland, Dangan Ronpa, and Battle Royale. Think I saw it on Netflix.

By the way I just saw the pilot of the Joss Whedon Victorian sci-fi drama show Nevers last night on Crave HBO (that's my third mention of never, perhaps I should never say never again -- not long ago I was watching all the Bond films).

* When she was three or four I let her post on PA and that troubled some people, while others couldn't tell the difference. How time flies.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 12:10

^ Loved Britannia and can't wait for the third series . However I strongly advise not taking it too seriously. Playing fast and loose with history (think of the Fox series Di Vinci's Demons and you aren't far off) . I mean casting Steve Pemberton as Julius Caesar (Season 2) is seriously mad ,  but a hell of a lot of fun!

I've watched it, both seasons. I get what you mean by "not to be taken too seriously" remark. I think they show mercy to the younger viewers here. With all its "modern" music, some wildly ridiculous humour etc... I think they want to assure not to immerse "sensitive" people fully into their bizarre (and convincing) world. As there are some seriously dramatic things going on, coupled with some wicked horror elements and tinged with some grotesque air.

Anyway, an exquisite show! Eagerly waiting for the 3rd season!..

Edited by Shadowyzard - April 14 2021 at 12:31
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 14:13
Just finished "Catch-22" limited-run mini-series.  I haven't read the book or watched the original movie version, but I found the mini-series to be quite entertaining.  The acting is pretty good with some small parts handled by George Clooney and Hugh Laurie.  There were a few fairly gruesome bits, but all part of the story.  I am definitely interested in the book to see how it compares.

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 16:23
Just finished watching the anime remake Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2199. The was the English dubbed version. I was ten years old when I saw the American adaptation around 1979/1980. This was better than I expected. There were a lot of changes to the original storyline, mostly minor, but I feel improved upon the original. If you only ever saw the American adaptation, in this remake (the English dubbed version) they use the original Japanese character names and the ship is obviously called Yamato instead of Argo. A nice upgrade to a classic.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 02:10
The Alienist (S2) 5/10
Another dull 'thud' of a show from Netflix that seems to do 'ponderous' better than anyone else. Great use of CGI to recreate late 1800's New York but otherwise the drama was as clunky as it gets. Dakota Fanning needs a new agent fast!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 51>