Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daily Doug Reaction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 18>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2021 at 05:51
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

he'll do Magma this week; I am very much looking forward to his reaction to them and am curious what song he will react to. a live version of MDK perhaps?

Hi,

MDK is my choice. The other dude did something later that was much more close related to a "song" and it made MAGMA not look as good, and of course, everything that was commented on was about some song detail or other, that he did not hear or he really was not the right person to try and do MAGMA. I don't think he realized that this band has been at it for over 40 years, and KNOWS what it is doing ... 

My choice, is ZWEI with Christian gone berserk in the vocals by himself, as that piece is almost a complete culmination of the potential that MAGMA could/would have been if it were to change. I'm not sure that Christian is going to do any more "orchestral" pieces, but the combination was totally far out for my ears.

The only scary side of ZWEI is if he has been for so many years trying to hard to get his vocal folks to do what he did in that album, and it didn't happen, and only he could do what he envisioned.

Edited by moshkito - July 01 2021 at 05:53
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2021 at 05:31
he will do Magma today. perhaps the Trianon live version of MDK?

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2021 at 08:35
Yes~Awaken.....To me this is not the most exciting reaction from Doug. I think it got better once Rick's playing became more prominent than Howe's playing. I've never been a huge fan of the song and I think Doug may have identified why, at least for me. 
I think he is spot on in mentioning that Jon, Chris and Rick are what make Yes so special. Calling Alan "exquisite" in his playing and Howe just "great" is interesting. Always felt the beginning section of the song was a bit messy and then Doug calling them out for a "compositional mistake" at the end, interesting take. For sure Doug makes me listen to some of this music with different ears at times. 

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2021 at 00:44
Here you go, Magma~MDK live from 2000 performance. He only reacts to the first 11 minutes of this 48 min piece. This partial reaction just has a mehh feeling to it all, Doug is highly schooled in music so he gets the artistry but clearly he is not into this music much at all. We all know Magma takes time to get, I wonder if he will do more Magma.
Enjoy!

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2021 at 07:39
Hi,

(SERIOUS EDITORIAL! DROP NOW IF NOT INTERESTED!)

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

... He only reacts to the first 11 minutes of this 48 min piece. This partial reaction just has a mehh feeling to it all, Doug is highly schooled in music so he gets the artistry but clearly he is not into this music much at all. We all know Magma takes time to get, I wonder if he will do more Magma.

Hi,

I'm grossly disappointed. He would not have the guts to cut down an Iron Maiden song to 11 minutes or any other band with a long cut bigger than the normal rock material that he does. I find it insulting! AND typical of the rock audiences that can not enjoy anything else but the hit songs, and even less music.

And for someone that claims his educational degrees and "heard a lot of music", I can tell you how little music he has heard since MAGMA is just about older than he is and they were around when he likely got started in music, as were some of the "progressive" music bands he has looked at. To end up saying that it has touches of Carl Orff, and not really even consider mentioning how it was about "modern music" and its designs, instead of the usual compositional elements that are so well known in academia that many groups in Europe made a serious point to leave behind, specially what became known as "krautrock", which was developed from theater, film, literature and improvisation. Oh, btw, CV has a song about Coltrane to throw your ideas further out!

I now, consider that the Daily Dirt is really only about "the rock song" and he is only capable of making the metal/progressive material he likes (reactionary attitude towards the academic thing, btw ... since most youngsters are into something else that is being taught!!!!!) sound better than it really is, specially mentioning the chords and their changes, when many of the most progressive bands do not exactly work on the chords, even though 40 years later it is easy for their guitarist to say it was this or that, but that leaves Robert Fripp not being able to tell you what that chord was! Which makes me think that DD was off key in discussing KC, btw.

I'm done listening to the Daily Dirt. It is the saddest thing I have ever seen, and he has no talent for doing more serious music than rock related things that might even be considered "marginal" by musical standards, and his attempts are to show that some of that material is much more than just "marginal" which I agree to a point, but not totally.

MAGMA is not a "god" band for me, like Genesis, Yes, JT and others are to many folks, however, the ability to do this for 50 years is a lot more important than a song about Jack the Cook to my ears. 

The same bad choices of music to do this, by DD is sad. FREEHAND is a good album, but I doubt it would compare to one or two of the earlier albums by GG, meaning that he just went with this or that without really listening to it and getting a better feel. AND, I seriously doubt that he will EVER touch another MAGMA album ... he is scratching for something to say, and can only reply in terms of notes and their sequences, and I doubt that Christian Vander wrote those as "notes" although to make it visible to the players he may have to show them notes, but in the material and in live concerts, I doubt that these folks are considering notes, and are mostly following the leads they are given for the particular  part and moment. YOU and I, do not speak in "notes" ... we do not get "emotional" in notes ... we just do, and to my ears a lot of MAGMA is about this, and it is PLAIN VISIBLE in ZWEI, the piece where Christian sings by himself and goes nuts ... you do NOT do that on notes. You do that by feel and flow of the music, and this is something that DD does not understand and neither does academia and most rock bands that think all music from the heart is about notes and chords. It ends up being described that way, but in general when it was "discovered in your mind's eye, it had no notes ... it had an expression and a feeling, something that DD is missing, and totally dropped by even suggesting that the audience would not be able to listen to the whole piece.

At least the other guy that did one MAGMA song was more honest and even admitted that it was totally off key to his listening habits, but it was very different and well done. DD appreciates some parts of it, but cutting a Symphony in half is screwed up in my book! 

Sorry to sound angry ... there is a lot of beautiful stuff out there, and MAGMA is one of these, and it deserves respect for doing this for 50 years plus ... but the comments and understanding of what this is about, is not for a high schooler rock band top hit listener. Never was, and never will be. MAGMA concerts are nearly a religious experience, and not 90% of rock concerts or classical music concerts even come close to that!

Edited by moshkito - July 08 2021 at 07:40
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2021 at 11:23
^ Did you watch the whole video Pedro? He mentions that quite possibly on his Patreon channel (which he has not completely set up yet) he could do the whole 48 minute pc. 
It seems you also miss his "reaction" to the music, where I said it is clear he gets the artistry but maybe not the music, which many of us do not get the music, for me Magma is not for me. But Doug was specific about the composition of this "weird" music, he even said its easy to make weird music but hard to make good weird music. He also categorized this as more free-jazz/avant garde versus progressive rock based, totally makes sense to me.

He also mentions to get all his degrees it took 10years of university and in that time he has heard a ton of weird and avant garde music, Magma being one of the most creative.

I think you are missing some of his points, unless you did not watch it all. From a YouTube channel perspective, I do wonder if he will do more Magma but I suspect he will listen to Magam on his own since he is more into music composition/creation.

Edited by Catcher10 - July 08 2021 at 11:26
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2021 at 14:25
That was a dignified, fair, and honest response, Catcher10. Well done.  

Edited by Snicolette - July 08 2021 at 14:26
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2021 at 15:11
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

You are so nice. A true gem. How do you do it? 
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2021 at 16:32
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

You are so nice. A true gem. How do you do it? 

Oh, I can certainly have an "acid tongue," and I've been known to use it.  LOL
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2021 at 19:36
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

^ Did you watch the whole video Pedro? He mentions that quite possibly on his Patreon channel (which he has not completely set up yet) he could do the whole 48 minute pc. 

Hi,

That sounded very hollow to me, when he has done long things before, up to and including one based on a classic, and even some DT.

IF, the length was an issue, he could/should have selected something not as big.

My take, is not that what he said was bad ... at all ... it was not as concise and clear, and my thoughts are that he should not have done this yet, until he got to the music a little better than a cursory listen, and then decide it was too long. No one goes around saying that Beethoven this and that, or Tchaikovsky this and that is too long, and he admitted that some of it might be a part of a later theme on the composition, however, in the end, to me, he stood up for the ROCK SONG ... not the music itself.

I appreciate a lot of the stuff he has done, but if he wants to make a better name for himself, he has to get off the top ten list of rock bands, and tackle on some material that is way above and beyond what "music" supposedly is about in academia. 

AND, it is weird to me, that if he has heard so much "weird" and "avant-garde" music, that he would not have heard some things out of Europe at all. Heck, now you know that he will not be able to do Frank Zappa, because not only is he out there everywhere, a lot of his music will never fit a "regular" mold, as the majority of the material that the DD does.

MAGMA was not "born" yesterday. They have been at it for over 52 or more years. They are well known around the world, and the fact that they finally got a chance in America in 1999, was a coup, and when they toured a few years ago, twice, even in Portland, it was sold out ... I guess it is better to go see Iron Maiden then, who will be back around again, when a band like MAGMA is almost a once in a lifetime thing.

And yes, I DID WATCH THE WHOLE THING, and was particularly disappointed and wanted to turn it off right when he said he was going to do just a part of it. How would you feel if he had cut CTTE in half? 
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2021 at 09:18
^ He has not done anything over 20-25 min that I know of. CTTE, Count of Tuscany (18min), Gates of Delirium what 20 min....So him doing one song at 48 min is probably too much. He did react to the whole album of Gentle Giant Free Hand as a live stream event.

Top ten list of rock bands?? I don't think he is even in the same ball park as any of those, I mean he has not to my knowledge done any ACDC, Zeppelin, Beatles Dead, FooFighters or Maroon 5.....but yet he has done Ayreon, Symphony X, Gentle Giant, Magma, LTE, Opeth, Devin Townsend.....hardly anything close to top 10 rock bands.

Regarding Beethoven, I am sure he knows more about Beethoven than this whole website put together....
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2021 at 12:38
Finally, some decent music (Magma....LOL). Way to go Doug, Thick as a Brick. 

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2021 at 14:18
^ I agree..........

Another to watch........Rush~The Garden. Love how Doug picks up the song on his piano.

Edited by Catcher10 - July 09 2021 at 14:22
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2021 at 09:47
TAAB, Part II posted yesterday.....

Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2021 at 10:49
I could do without all the "y'alls" he throw out there but otherwise I like his stuff. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2021 at 13:36
Every youtubers have to have some "catch phraces" to destinguish one from another, Dougs Yall, is prett innosent, Jeff Beato likes to talk about Beatos eat training an Beato Books, and usage of strong adjectives syuch as amazing and mindblowing,

Then you have the decomposer, thw hawaian composer whom greets everyone with "aloha" and "support my cup of coffey",

Any reactionars from lost in vegas to andy and alex, Just Jp, Beath Roar develop catchphrases, some are anoying and some are enearing, i will not get into which i think is which quality.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2021 at 09:22
He went to school in Kansas, so that is close enough to the south where you get some of that influence. For some reason I want to say he is from Kentucky, I could be wrong, if so the "y'alls" are in his blood. I believe he lives in NJ but he has posted a video about moving, not sure where to or from....

I have no issue with the "y'alls", it's more personal and down to earth.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2021 at 10:01
^I live in Kansas. Don't hear anyone say y'all around here. Must be further south.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2021 at 11:01
Where I grew up, it was yooze. Where I am now, they say yuns. I think I'm going to start using the word saucepan.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2021 at 12:32
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Where I grew up, it was yooze. Where I am now, they say yuns. I think I'm going to start using the word saucepan.

I use panfry all the time.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 18>