Topic ClosedShed 2 (The Gazebo)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101102103104105 151>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2012 at 15:49
Now that's REAL class!

Bishops Stortford isn't twinned with anywhere, but does have a suicide pact with a small industrial town in the Ruhr valley.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2012 at 11:19
This will mean nothing to anyone outside of the UK, so here's probably the best place to remember the man:

Bob Holness... RIP

Another of the great faces from my youth - I used to watch Blockbusters every night, waiting (usually in vain, but it got there occasionally) for the immortal line:

"I'll have a P please, Bob" +++cue guffaws & a 'knowing look' from Bob+++

Another part of my youth gone

RIP, Bob.

[edit]

And, no - he didn't play the sax solo on Baker Street, neither was he the first James Bond (he was actually the second... Barry Nelson first played Bond on radio, followed by BH, after which the franchise moved to the silver screen)

Edited by Jim Garten - January 06 2012 at 11:26

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2012 at 17:11
I'll have an RIP please, Bob.

I remember him writing to the Guardian's 'notes and queries' to confirm that he really didn't play on Baker Street (said rumour originating in the NME, I believe. The letter was perfectly serious until the last sentence, the gist of which was 'But who do you think made Elvis laugh oon that notorious recording of Are You Lonesome Tonight?'.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2012 at 17:33
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

Now that's REAL class!

Bishops Stortford isn't twinned with anywhere, but does have a suicide pact with a small industrial town in the Ruhr valley.

Is that why trains on their way to BS tend to disappear before they arrive? I remember spending 2 hours there to catch a train to the airport last May - around midnight on a Thursday.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2012 at 04:28
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

This will mean nothing to anyone outside of the UK, so here's probably the best place to remember the man:

Bob Holness... RIP

Another of the great faces from my youth - I used to watch Blockbusters every night, waiting (usually in vain, but it got there occasionally) for the immortal line:

"I'll have a P please, Bob" +++cue guffaws & a 'knowing look' from Bob+++

Another part of my youth gone

RIP, Bob.

[edit]

And, no - he didn't play the sax solo on Baker Street, neither was he the first James Bond (he was actually the second... Barry Nelson first played Bond on radio, followed by BH, after which the franchise moved to the silver screen)

Bob H lived in Harrow, a mate of mine used to see him on the train into town every morning, though never spoke as he kept himself to himself.....just like James Bond...Wink

Prog Archives Tour Van
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2012 at 19:08
Last week I needed to get some precision holes drilled in some aluminium panels for a piece of test equipment I'm making at work. Fifteen or twenty years ago I would have handed that over to a junior engineer who'd make a dimensioned sketch and then pass it on to a young technician who'd make an scaled engineering drawing and then tell his apprentice to run it along to one of the half-dozen or so light engineering companies on the industrial estate and a few days later it would be back on my desk with all the right holes in all the right places. Back then this small provincial town would have maybe a dozen such companies on the various industrial estates or in lock-ups by the railway station or some such, and they would be industrious little places run by guys in grease stained blue overalls with Woodbine's hanging from their lips and rolled up copies of Practical Mechanics or Penthouse sticking out of their back pockets, who normally had some acne-pocked YTS trainee in tow making tea, running fools errands for glass hammers and rubber tin-tacks and invariably had a ring of Engineer's Blue around their eye-sockets from using a jeweller's loupe without checking for tampering first.

But alas those days appear to be a faint memory now. I have no junior engineers, young technicians nor apprentices to do my bidding and I am reduced to making technical drawings in Photoshop that I now have to drive around to one of the two remaining workshops in the whole town. Needless to say the technical drawing skills I was taught back in 1972 were a little rusty and didn't adapt to Photoshop quite as well as they should have, and today I had a call from the workshop asking me to come in to ensure that the guy who was going drill the holes made them the right sizes and put them in the right places which, understandably, I did since if there was one thing I wanted to ensure it was that all the right holes were in all the right places.

So as I was stood there in the workshop, next to a guy in grease stained blue overalls (sans Woodbine), trying to figure out what my own drawing was trying to say about where a fixing hole for a 1/4" jack socket should be in relation to some datum point that I managed to omit before concluding that it didn't mater a whole lot as long as the hole itself was correct, it occurred to me that this guy stood next to me was older than me, and that the guy in equally grease-stained blue overalls bent over a nearby milling machine was also somewhat older than me, as was the chap in grease-stained blue overalls that I'd given the job to last week, and the greasy blue overall clad guy by the lathe ... in fact everyone who worked there was older than me.

I reflected upon this on the drive back to the office. An office, I must add, populated entirely by people over the age of 40 where, as I rapidly approach 55, I am the youngest person with any practical technical knowledge, not just of electronics and semiconductors, but of all things engineering, not only of how to make technical drawings but of why and how they are needed and all those other things that convert an idea into something practical, usable and tangible, the kind of knowledge that comes from experience of getting it almost right and nearly right and absolutely right that you cannot get from a BTech course at some underfunded college or by reading Wikipedia.

At first I thought that this geriatric staffing of our office was simply a consequence of continuous down-sizing, off-shore manufacturing, corporate shuffling and general business management by accounting, but from my experience this afternoon of that small engineering workshop I'm now wondering if we, as a country, have lost the plot and more worryingly, lost a whole generation of employable, trainable and fools-errand-able young people. So our Shed-generation engineers are literally a dying breed, like blacksmiths and cartwrights before us and in fifteen to twenty years time when we've all retired and moved on there'll be no one to follow us.

/edit: Perhaps I should explain the notion of  "almost right and nearly right and absolutely right" ... almost right is measuring once and drilling once, nearly right is measuring twice and drilling once, absolutely right is ensuring that you're marking the right side of the panel before drilling any holes.

Edited by Dean - January 30 2012 at 19:29
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2012 at 02:24
Sobering words, Dean, but a post I think all here can relate to in one way or another...

Back in the day when Vicky was the proud owner of a Morris Minor, the usual garage we frequented together was in Hitchin, a place called Studman & Morgan. This garage was run by 2 geriatric mechanics (and I am talking way beyond retirement age, here), but what they did not know about car electrics was not worth knowing... their benches were strewn with yellowing, much thumbed conversion tables & I swear to the gods they still had an old money/decimal conversion table up by the till.

We'd take Wilson (Vicky's name for the MM) into them, knowing full well if they were not too busy, they'd look into the problem there & then & if possible, would remove a component and (wait for it...) fix it! No, not order a new one, but actually take said component apart & fix the problem . Alas, such garages are few & far between & messrs Studman & Morgan both failed their last MOTs many years ago.

Vicky and I now both have modern cars - when these were under warranty, they were serviced & fixed where necessary by considerably younger men whose first action is not to ask what the problem appears to be, take it for a run to see for themselves, then do the 'sharp intake of breath', but to plug it into a computer... then do the 'sharp intake of breath' (nice to know some traditions never change). And their overalls were always disturbingly clean. I'm sure they have all the requisite knowledge, but call me old fashioned, I prefer my car mechanics to be older than the last headlight bulb I replaced.

Luckily, now both cars are out of warranty, we no longer have to use a Ford main dealer, so we found a backstreet garage (K&K Autos), run by a comfortingly older chap who really knows cars, wears ancient once-blue overalls, smokes a rollie & is not adverse to doing the odd quick job if he has the time in exchange for a tenner in cash. Sure, he still has to plug the car into a computer, but at least he knows not only what the screen is telling him, but why.

Then he does the 'sharp intake of breath'.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2012 at 17:17
You guys will appreciate this joke:

Talk about a SENIOR moment!
Several days ago as I left a meeting at our church, I desperately gave myself a personal TSA pat down. I was looking for my keys.
They were not in my pockets. A quick search in the meeting room revealed nothing. Suddenly I realized, I must have left them in the car.
Frantically I headed for the parking lot. My wife, Diane, has scolded me many times for leaving the keys in the ignition.
My theory is the ignition is the best place not to lose them. Her theory is that the car will be stolen. As I burst through the doors of
the church, I came to a terrifying conclusion. Her theory was right. The parking lot was empty. I immediately call the police.
I gave them my location, confessed that I had left my keys in the car, and that it had been stolen. Then I made the most difficult call
of all, “Honey,” I stammered. I always call her “honey” in times like these. “I left my keys in the car, and it has been stolen.”
There was a period of silence. I thought the call had been dropped, but then I heard Diane’s voice, “Ken,” she barked, “I dropped you off!”
Now it was my time to be silent. Embarrassed, I said, “Well, come and get me.” Diane retorted, “I will, as soon as I convince this policeman I have not stolen your car!”
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 02:32
^ sounds all too real

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2012 at 06:13
Sadly Dean we are no longer a manufactuing country but a service one. I've just read that the vast majority of Olympic souvenirs are made abroad, even the Royal Doulton stuff.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2012 at 07:39
Isn't this just great?

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 15:06
Blimey... how come the Gazebo has fallen into such disrepair on page 3, with effectively no posts since January?? Shocked

I can see I'm going to have to come back in here and keep an eye on you lot from time to time.. Wink

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

So our Shed-generation engineers are literally a dying breed, like blacksmiths and cartwrights before us and in fifteen to twenty years time when we've all retired and moved on there'll be no one to follow us.

This puts me in mind of an article I read, I believe in the Guardian, a couple of years ago.

There was an interview with a chap a couple of months off retirement, who was replacing a stained glass window, high up in one of our large Cathedrals. He had gone to one of the Technical Schools (anyone remember them?) where he left (in around the late 50's) without any formal qualifications to speak of and having gotten into trouble with the police over minor social disorder issues.  About a month before he left, a Careers Advisor came to see him at school, pulled him out of class, sat him down and said 'Now John, we need to seriously think about what you're going to do when you leave school next month; what you need is an apprenticeship, which will hopefully lead into a career if you work hard'.

He took out a file, and showed him 12 alternatives from local manufacturing and construction firms, who would be taking on apprentices that summer, and the one at the bottom was for a glass makers, which he thought sounded interesting.  Over the next 50 years, he stayed within the same industry, rising to the head of his field of expertise, colouring, lead lining and so on... and he candidly said, 'You know, without that Career advisor and a patient employer who took me under his wing, I really don't know what would have happened to me... I'd have probably ended up inside'.

The problem appears to be that such patient employers are now a scarcity and the careers advisory service has been relocated to an 0845 number on Vanuatu.  I really do fear for the prospects of this generation of school leavers...  Unhappy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2012 at 02:32
Welcome back Jared, good to see you again True, The Shed has seen better days, but so long as we all stick around & keep the door barred to young'uns, it should survive in the wilderness for a good while yet.

Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

I really do fear for the prospects of this generation of school leavers...

When they eventually leave school that is... it seems the general trend now is for everyone to go to university, whereas in-my-day it really was only the top level of pupils who could even aspire to a degree. So what happens now? They eventually leave education in their early 20's with a degree in sociology and/or media studies + a huge debt to start their adult lives.

I think one of the problems is, the UK is no longer a manufacturing hub - when it was, there were any number of small firms willing to take on & train apprentices, but now...

Glad Vicky & I have no children...

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 09:26
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

I think one of the problems is, the UK is no longer a manufacturing hub - when it was, there were any number of small firms willing to take on & train apprentices, but now...

Yes Jim, I think this is at the very core of the problem, as I believe the concept of the Global Economy is deeply flawed from a human perspective.

In any society, you will always have a sizeable percentage of the population whose personal strengths will lie in practical/ creative/ problem solving tasks of the 'blue collar' variety (and I certainly don't use that term in a derogatory sense) which has traditionally been catered for by the manufacturing sector. This has not only provided employment and therefore social stability, but also a job satisfaction which for many people, can't easily be found elsewhere. So, how do these people fit into a society which can only offer them a job in a supermarket or call centre?

You know, I have a bit of a theory about this.. the last 10/15 years has seen the rise and rise of the TV chef, along with a burgeoning of restaurants, which has partly been fuelled by this situation, as cullinery construction is in the UK at least, one of the last professions which is able to harness these practical/ creative/ problem solving skills on a relatively mass scale.

Of course, what will happen when restaurants start to close as further austerity measures start to bite, who can say... Ermm
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 10:25
Today I've been working on my car. Of course I say that like I understand auto-mechanics, and for a while I think I did. What I should say is I have this ticking noise from the engine - I'm pretty sure it's the tappets, or at least one of them - so I lifted the bonnet and looked at it for a bit, and I started the engine and listened to it for a bit with a facial expression that indicted to anyone who was watching that I knew all about engines and I knew what I was doing and in a hopefully knowledgeable manner I determined the sound was indeed metallic and at a repetition-rate that could be the valves, or at least something; so I then took off the engine cover (some strange piece of plastic shaped like the top of an engine that fits over the real engine - amusingly it reminded me of the toy plastic lawn mower that we bought for Alex when she was 3 or 4) and looked at it a bit more, and I started the engine again and listened to it a bit more and thought the noise may be coming from the cam pulley (cheap) rather than the valve tappets (expensive) so I thought I'd remove the plastic cam-pulley cover and have look; and that required removing the plastic cover that covered the driver's side inner-wing where the washer bottle and power-steering reservoir lives so I could get a spanner to the bolts that hold the plastic cam-cover - so I did that and looked at it for a bit, it seemed superfluous to listen to the engine again, so I skipped that bit and proceeded to remove the two bolts that held what I thought was the rear cam-pulley cover, except it wasn't  - the two covers are really one and to remove those means taking off the timing belt (not good) and the power-steering pulley (not good); then I realised that even if I did that then I still wouldn't know where the noise was coming from, and to remove the cam cover itself would require removing the power-steering pump and the fuel injection system and the inlet manifold, so this probably isn't something I can do myself, on my drive, in the rain, with a socket set I bought from Woolworth's thirty years ago. So I put back everything I'd taken off and closed the bonnet, probably for the last time, and called my friendly auto-mechanic, who carefully explained to me that it would cost more than the car was worth to repair it, and just to make sure I did a search myself and sadly he's right. Damn. The car is only 11 years old, in good nick it's worth maybe £1500 at a push, webuyanycar.com have just offered me £625, which they'll undoubtedly knock down to half that once they've seen (and heard) it. I guess I'll have to buy another one.

What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 10:35
..,.or just live with the tapping noise?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 10:45
..not an option for me - noise is damage, the louder the noise the more damage is being done and this is really loud. I could drive it very, very sedately and perhaps get a few more miles out of it, except I don't own "performance" car (yeah, right, it's a hyundai, but it's a 140mph hyundai that'll go from 0-60 in 8 seconds) to drive it like a granny.
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 10:58
Did your friendly local mechanic do the sharp-intake-of-breath?

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 11:02
He most certainly did Jim. LOL
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 11:26
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

..not an option for me - noise is damage, the louder the noise the more damage is being done and this is really loud. I could drive it very, very sedately and perhaps get a few more miles out of it, except I don't own "performance" car (yeah, right, it's a hyundai, but it's a 140mph hyundai that'll go from 0-60 in 8 seconds) to drive it like a granny.

Ah...so it's very loud. Didn't realise that. Oh dear. I an sorry to hear that. Cars are a bane. As well as a boon of course.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101102103104105 151>