Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101102103104105 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2015 at 15:49
I will probably never see Rush but at least I'll see a Magma concert next May Wink I still don't know their post-70's albums though.

My copy of Caress of Steel is still unopened, the other vinyl that came with it was more prioritary Tongue

It's the first RPI album in my collection, a really good modern album that demands repeated listens, those are the best ones. Wink The cover is really cool: it's printed on some kind of rough cardboard to look like a real painting Smile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2015 at 17:03
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I will probably never see Rush but at least I'll see a Magma concert next May Wink I still don't know their post-70's albums though.

OMG - You need to get Emehntehtt-Re - I got this as a CD/DVD package when it appeared - and now it's on vinyl - I can't stop listening to this one - it cooks at 1001 Centigrades . Fast becoming my fave Magma.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2015 at 17:49
I'll give it a listen then Big smile I only started listening to them recently so I don't know much and I still don't have any album from them. It's not a reason for me to not go though Tongue I was thinking about getting an LP from them before the concert and bring it with me, in case I have a chance to get it signed by Mr. Vander. I'll probably go for 1001 Centigrades, I hope I won't burn LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2015 at 18:01
Ohhhh boy, this reissue is amazing!! I can't get over how crazy good analog 1970's this thing sounds. It really brought me back 40yrs. Sitting in my bedroom with big headphones on and being mesmerized by Fountain of Lamneth. Alex's guitar solos are amazing sounding, that feedback is nice a clean, the whole record sounds brilliant.

The pressing is immaculate, as quiet as a flea fart.

Now this one...OMG the bass is incredible, low and filled with detail. You can really get a sense of how Neil's drum sounds began to change on this album, the kick bass and tom fills, cymbals all started to tighten up and he became the refined player he is. The sound quality is stellar, man there is nothing like a well made analog recording on tape......Abbey Road is really doing brilliant work on these reissues, and the pressing again is pristine and I have to say the hologram is pretty cool.

Vinyl freaking heaven!!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2015 at 18:12
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

The pressing is immaculate, as quiet as a flea fart.
LOL

You got me with that description, I'm going so spin it next. I'm listening to 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth' from Wakeman that I got last month, it's in a surprisingly good condition, considering I got it from the 2€ bin Wink
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2015 at 18:31
^ That Wakeman is such an excellent album. I went through a phase of listening to it every day for weeks. I still look forward to spinning it every so often.
Caress Of Steel - now this is one I haven't spun for a long time - my copy is a Canadian pressing on Mercury, and although in near-mint condition, it's a very noisy album, like the vinyl itself is full of impurities, cheap, crude compound may have been used ?? Still, my fave Rush piece is on this album - part 1 of The Necromancer. Just bliss. But the whole album is a pure delight. I'd class it as my ultimate album from Rush.
Man I'd love to see Magma in action, brace yourself. Vander is one of the best drummers around. I haven't heard any drummer play with amazing control of dynamics as he (maybe Bruford, too). He can pound at those skins like a madman on meth, or he can barely touch a cymbal in a micro-second of going nuts. Just AMAZING.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2015 at 20:06
^ It sure is, it reminds me of the first Alan Parsons Project album but more pompous, brilliant stuff Clap I also bought the book recently because of it, I read some Verne books but never that one Smile

I noticed that about Vander, very impressive drummer. Can't wait to see him play Cool

Just listened to Caress of Steel, it has such an amazing sound quality, the bass sounds really clear and distinct, Lifeson's guitar work is shivering and even if it far from Peart's best work, it's very good, especially that drum solo on Fountain Thumbs Up ...I laughed a bit when I saw his little drum set on the gatefold LOL Surface noise? Nowhere to be heard Wink
If it sounds this sweet on my humble set, I can't imagine how it must sound on yours José Smile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2015 at 00:26
Didacts And Narpets (which I believe is an anagram of Addicts And Parents...??)
I may have to upgrade. Actually, for a vinyl obsessive, I have a very basic set-up with pissy little speakers - it's good for my clutter-fest room, but I'm definitely not getting the fullest sound spectrum vinyl has to offer. One day.....
There is an excellent DVD available of Wakeman performing Journey, with a different narrator, but it's a joy to watch, plus there's some stuff off Six Wives and King Arthur. Priceless.
I wish I could catch a Magma gig    Keep an eye out for Isabelle Feuillebois, she's a cutie (so is Himiko Paganotti ). Stella is the Queen.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2015 at 18:49
Me too, I'm thinking about spending a bit less on records to save money to upgrade but I don't know if I can Tongue
Is it this DVD? http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=13890
Their Earth tour is not very extensive, it's probably easier to catch a gig in Kobaïa LOL
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2015 at 20:54
^ Yep - bullseye !! Really cool they captured this one professionally, and the bonus recollections of Wakeman and the band members 30 years afterwards is a welcome bonus.
Aaah, Kobaia. Gotta spin the debut, methinks.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 00:36

I noticed that about Vander, very impressive drummer. Can't wait to see him play Cool

Just spun E-Re again - remarkable in every way - time stood still whilst this was on. It really gets going during the 2nd half of Part II, and Part III is plain insane (in a brilliant way). And thinking about it, most of us comment on what a fantastic drummer Vander is, he also is an impressive vocalist, unconventional maybe, but he has a very powerful voice, again with skilled control and emotion. Sometimes he can get a little hysterical (esp. in the early days) but he has come a bit of a way since then.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 15:28
Boy.....I hope SWilson is reading this...he needs to remix this album, not done very good at all for vinyl. Even the songs that SW mixed are just ok, most of the album is a bit muddy and veiled.

It could be so amazing on vinyl, my only disappointment for 2014 vinyl...Of course next to Led Zeppelin HOTH-The Ocean.......Even PG Kashmir has some distortion.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 16:15
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Yep - bullseye !! Really cool they captured this one professionally, and the bonus recollections of Wakeman and the band members 30 years afterwards is a welcome bonus.
Aaah, Kobaia. Gotta spin the debut, methinks.
Cool, I'll look for that DVD then Thumbs Up I'm thinking about getting 'Songs From Tsongas' from Yes, I saw a cheap copy of it on the local store the other day Smile

Just spun E-Re again - remarkable in every way - time stood still whilst this was on. It really gets going during the 2nd half of Part II, and Part III is plain insane (in a brilliant way). And thinking about it, most of us comment on what a fantastic drummer Vander is, he also is an impressive vocalist, unconventional maybe, but he has a very powerful voice, again with skilled control and emotion. Sometimes he can get a little hysterical (esp. in the early days) but he has come a bit of a way since then.
Oh right, the hysterical vocals, I thought those were really creepy, but I kind of like them now Tongue
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 16:17

Boy.....I hope SWilson is reading this...he needs to remix this album, not done very good at all for vinyl. Even the songs that SW mixed are just ok, most of the album is a bit muddy and veiled.

It could be so amazing on vinyl, my only disappointment for 2014 vinyl...Of course next to Led Zeppelin HOTH-The Ocean.......Even PG Kashmir has some distortion.
Hum... what album? Tongue
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 16:54

Hum... what album? Tongue

Sorry.....meant to post the picture....Anathema~Distant Satellites

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 19:31
Freaking brilliance....this album is amazing, always been my favorite by Riverside. Since this is the vinyl thread...gotta give major high five to the pressing quality and mastering for vinyl on all Riverside vinyl. This one in particular, it's stellar.

Me like! Clap
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 01:22
^ Aaaah, Riverside. Me likey very much, too !! I don't listen to them often enough.
At the moment I'm hung-up on Magma. I never thought they'd press their recent albums onto vinyl. What a celebration

Edited by Tom Ozric - March 23 2015 at 01:23
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 08:36

I never thought they'd press their recent albums onto vinyl. What a celebration
Which in particular?
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 09:41

^ Aaaah, Riverside. Me likey very much, too !! I don't listen to them often enough.
At the moment I'm hung-up on Magma. I never thought they'd press their recent albums onto vinyl. What a celebration

I remember reading how Magma was going to release the catalog on vinyl.....I have tried getting into them but alas cannot. I own Attahk, MDK as digital downloads and never got into it. Guess you can't like everything.....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 11:40
^ Did you try 1001 Centigrades? I think it's much more acessible than those two :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101102103104105 312>