Topic Closed"Democracy is Teetering"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 21>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 23:30
Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

My understanding is that most conspiracy theorists have an emotional investment in their chosen theory, and emotion is very hard to shift with logic.

It's a general problem with beliefs. We get emotionally invested in them, and the more invested we are, the more we will defend the belief even (far) beyond the actual facts. We will ignore inconvenient facts that disprove the theory, and we will focus on arguments that support the theory.

One good example is the topic of masks for COVID:

I don't even want to talk about that topic itself, it merely serves as a good example of a topic where people on both sides of the argument usually get VERY emotional in discussing it, because everyone is heavily invested.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - April 03 2024 at 23:46
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 23:37
^ And incidentally, the topic of masks is a good example for how "the system", through massive gaslighting, creates confusion and chaos to distract people from the important things that are happening simultaneously. Assuming that masks don't actually work (which, as the article above reminds us, has always been the scientific consensus before the pandemic), getting people riled up to either support masks (and attack the evil mask deniers), or fight masks (and the "sheep" wearing them), it's just yet another circus (as in bread and circuses), while governments around the world are changing legislation to move us further away from liberty and closer towards an authoritarian society, including censorship and also giving more and more power to openly undemocratic organisations, like the WHO and (in Europe) the EU commission. Which takes us back to the "teetering democracy".

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - April 03 2024 at 23:47
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2024 at 00:02
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ There are no 'fanatical Biden supporters', that's why Trump has a chance to win.
Seriously? This of course depends on how we define "fanatical supporter", since I guess you would concede that there are Biden supporters.

In this case, by "fanatical" I mean for example people who would vote for Biden just to prevent Trump from winning, and/or are willing to overlook his criminal past as well as generally being unfit for office. Under this definition I would speculate that there are quite a few fanatical Biden supporters.

EDIT: Remember that I don't support either of the two (douche vs. turd), so you could just swap Trump and Biden and the definition would be equally valid.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - April 04 2024 at 00:06
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2024 at 00:12
There are Democrats and Independents who will be voting for Biden as they likely would in any election, but the fanatics in the U.S. are almost entirely on the Right.   As far as a criminal past, Trump makes Biden look like Mr. Rogers.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2024 at 00:36
^ ok, Biden is a saint. I rest my case, we have at least one fanatical Biden supporter. Big smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2024 at 00:46
^ That's fine--- it's a simple choice between an obvious sociopath and someone who believes in democracy and knows government.   Not a hard decision to make.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2024 at 00:58
^ All high-ranking politicians are sociopaths ... that simply follows from the job profile. If you think that one can become the president of the United States and still have a conscience or a moral compass, we can end the discussion, since our world-views are simply too different.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2024 at 01:06
Yeah, whatever, but I doubt "we can end the discussion" because the discussion never ends.   Having world-views that are too different seems to be the only thing keeping this torturous thread going.   

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2024 at 01:11
^ I guess you think that democracy is "teetering" because of Trump, while I think the problem is built into "the system". Of course the discussion never ends, but at least the two of us will go around in circles. I don't mind, and if you think this thread is "torturous" you can always just walk away. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2024 at 01:31
Of course it's built into the system but there's more to it than that, and though it has little to do with Trump per se, I'd really rather not see an extremist traitor in charge of my country.   Sorry.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2024 at 02:04
^ Sure, Trump is evil, so Biden must be good. All is well as long as Trump is not president. I find that way of thinking incredibly naive. You're willing to ignore everything that disqualifies Biden as a good person, let alone good leader.

While "douche vs turd" still holds, maybe a better analogy in this case is "good cop / bad cop". The US have a history of alternating between "good" presidents (usually democratic) and "bad" presidents (usually republican). It's a brilliant concept, keeping people busy fighting each other, while the same banks, the same corporations are financing both parties. Just like arms dealers profit from wars regardless of which side wins, the "rulers" profit from the political circus regardless of which person currently carries the title of president.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2024 at 02:13
^ Largely true.   
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2024 at 02:34
^ Of course it might be valid to say "Biden is the lesser evil", but that implies that he's still "evil", as in "not good". The only way to think of Biden as "good" in terms of democracy is that we don't get to vote for any option that would actually be good. But "the system" blames that on us, since anyone could technically run for president. The fact that media is controlled by and large by the same corporations which finance the uniparty makes it impossible for any "independent" candidate to gain enough momentum to become a threat.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2024 at 03:15

OK, let's try to get things back on track, because I think this thread has deviated into other things that I did not intend. The discussion about conspiracy theories is interesting but deserves its own thread, and the Biden/Trump discussion is not what this thread is about either. And please, let's try to avoid draw ing everything into binary thought (black/white, good/bad...); the world is more complex than that.

This thread, I hoped it to be about actual - and factual - strategies, dysfunctioning, abuse and other acts to - deliberately or undeliberately - undermine democracy. Existing behaviour. That's what the article I linked to in the OP is about, as some other of my posts. So let's try to get back to that and leave the Biden/Trump discussion or the consiracy topic to other threads. The "teetering" of the democracies is not just a thing in the USA...

So I'm quoting the OP (because I think some have not even read the article that I linked to...):
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

That is the headline of a rather thorough report/analysis in today's The Guardian about how extremist Republicans are trying to undermine democratic institutions and elections in Arizona, as just an example of a more widespread practice in the USA nowadays.
But it could be coming from within too, when a government - the French, i.c. - is undermining democratic procedures by abusing an old constitutional article - the infamous article 49.3 - to sideline parliamentary vote, knowing they wouldn't have a majority and despite the fact that a majority of the population is against those measures pushed through without vote. This has been done 23 times in less than two years.

Clearly, countries of "the West" don't need the be invaded anymore by aggressive other countries to see their democracies undermined and/or threatened. They're doing it from within. Where are we going? What can we do?

And two other posts
Quote Another country where things are not going at their best is the UK: "‘This place is utterly dysfunctional’: MPs on why they’re leaving parliament"
Quote I stumbled upon a book review of Barbara McQuade's Attack From Within - How Disinformation Is Sabotaging America in which she is apparently also proposing some solutions (for the more or less specific US context).

And for a more global assessment you could consult the annual report of Idea International: The Global State of Democracy 2023... From the executive summary:
Quote The global state of democracy in 2023 is complex, fluid and unequal. Across every region of the world, democracy has continued to contract, with declines in at least one indicator of democratic performance in half of the countries covered in the Report. Measured in terms of the areas of improvement and decline within each country, 2022 was the sixth consecutive year in which more countries experienced net declines in democratic processes than net improvements. This six-year pattern of decline is the longest of this kind since our records began in 1975. In short, democracy is still in trouble, stagnant at best, and declining in many places.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2024 at 04:39
^ To summarise my point: I don't agree with your premise that Western democracy is largely intact, well-designed and effective, and that the major threat is the ultra-right (or more specifically: Donald Trump). In my opinion the real problem is that democracy has been used as a facade for a de-facto tyrannical regime for at least a century or longer, where the "rulers" realised long ago that it is more effective to let most people believe that they are in charge through a democratic process than to openly suppress them. And to keep them "entertained" (as in: busy, distracted, occupied) the system includes cleverly crafted and/or groomed "threats".

So depending on where you land regarding this hypothesis, my posts were either on-topic or irrelevant. 

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2024 at 05:08
^ Is this supposed to be a reply to my post? Confused

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2024 at 05:21
Yes. Let’s leave it at that - if you want me to elaborate , I will, but otherwise I’ll leave the thread.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2024 at 05:31
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

The relevance was the possibility of the rich in political power. It was a conspiracy theory that can't be proven. Is that what's bothering you?

How was/is that a conspiracy theory? I think that most people would agree that there is that kind of corruption in politics. Some would limit it to the opposite camp (e.g. hardcore Trump supporters would only see the corruption with the democrats, fanatical Biden supporters would see it only with Trump etc.), but I think that many would agree that the corruption is systemic. 
God good man, what do you think a conspiracy theory is? It's not a generalized statement like "the system is corrupt' but any assumed individual corrupt act not under the consideration of a investigate and policing entity.  For those that think that democracy doesn't work because of inherent flaws in the system (which may or may not pertain to you personally) I say that's BS. To use another example, those that moan the overturning of Roe v. Wade have only themselves to blame for voting in a Republican President who had the power to appoint ultra conservative Supreme Court justices, instead of sticking to a pro choice candidate. I'm not advocating for or against abortion, this only an example of democracy not working for those that moan because those voters not did not stick to their party line and grabbed the new shiny object. Democracy can only work if citizens know the the power that they hold and vote properly.

Edited by SteveG - April 04 2024 at 05:56
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2024 at 05:43
^^ No, I'm just very surprised about what you think to be my "premise", because it's not. From nothing, really nothing of what I've said in this thread could be deduced that I think that "Western democracy is largely intact, well-designed and effective, and that the major threat is the ultra-right". You were complaining about others twisting your words and misrepresenting what you said, but I've rarely seen such a flagrant example of complete misreading/misunderstanding and what the Germans call "Hineininterpretierung" (let's translate that with "overinterpretation").
And regarding your opinion that "democracy has been used as a facade for a de-facto tyrannical regime" shows that it is not worth discussing this kind of things with you because it is too ludicrous: if you really think that a capitalist democracy like the USA or European countries are of the same specimen as a tyrannical regime like North Korea, than I definitely can not take you serious anymore.
I think you are confusing (ultra-liberal) captitalism with democracy, here (which would be another topic in which I might agree with many things you say, because I think the greedy and selfish stakeholders and bosses of the big companies have too much influence on politics and politicians...).

Edited by suitkees - April 04 2024 at 05:44

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2024 at 06:10
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

OK, let's try to get things back on track, because I think this thread has deviated into other things that I did not intend. The discussion about conspiracy theories is interesting but deserves its own thread, and the Biden/Trump discussion is not what this thread is about either. And please, let's try to avoid draw ing everything into binary thought (black/white, good/bad...); the world is more complex than that.

Conspiracy theories are absolutely germane to this discussion. If democracy is teetering in the US, and I believe it is, it is greatly because of the conspiracy theories expounded by Trump and his lackeys' that the 2020 election was stolen. The deluded followers of Trump still believe this lie even though 67 court cases have been dismissed regarding Trump's insistence that it was stolen. And they were deluded enough to storm the US capitol  building and violently try to stop the election process from taking place. And Trump still spouts this lie to this very day. If democracy fails in the US it will be mostly due to conspiracy theories and the deluded people that believe in them. If this isn't an argument for teetering democracy, then I don't know is.

Edited by SteveG - April 04 2024 at 06:12
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 21>