Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAdd Buckethead?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 18>
Poll Question: Should Buckethead be added to the site?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
101 [60.84%]
40 [24.10%]
25 [15.06%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2011 at 07:47
So give Buckethead to ecletic and we'll see what happens
"Prog is Not Dead and never has been." (Will Sergeant, from Echo And The Bunnymen)
fabien View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2011 at 07:55
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Like Porcupine Tree, he has varying styles from album to album.

So does that mean he should be filed under the most common genre he puts out?

Eclectic or Prog-Related makes sense to me though. Seeing both don't stamp a definitive genre on the artist.

Yes but unlike PT, he keeps releasing different kind of music under the same name (+ other names!!!)
I know it will be a hell of a work to do, but I can help!
He is a progressive artist for sure, he has to be on the site!

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2011 at 10:53
Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

The only thing I can add here is that he was rejected for Prog Metal more then 3 years ago.
At least one of the Yes votes dates after the conclusion but even so the decision must have been obvious

Homepage
Myspace.comSearch
us
Buckethead      
Prog Metal Chart: Rejected

What kind of surprises me (but may be due to selected material used for evaluation) is that there are two yes votes, one unsure, and five no votes, but not one "move" vote (as in more suitable to another category/ suggest evaluation by another team) and not one vote for Prog Related.
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2011 at 12:48

^ It's up to team members, whether to just say YES/NO binary type of vote, or if they want to pursue more shades of gray - PR/MOVE...

the bad thing is that you never know:

1)if said voter thinks it isn't Prog, shouldn't be moved/Prog related, or if he just voted YES/NO.

2)Also you never know what material he based his decision on. If it were just myspace samples, then god help us. Or if it was particularly bad/unproggy album. Or if it was few albums from "bad" (for Prog) era.

Proper evaluation of Buckethead should be done based on at least five albums. Ten is even better, but not many people from Eclectic own so many albums. Only fan would have so many.

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2011 at 14:32
The charts would be much more useful if it was an expectation that team members would use the Prog Related and Move options that were put there to help PA evaluations.  Because i was on the Eclectic team (left long ago now), I was used to thinking about different categories, and where music would be best placed, and so used the move vote and PR ones quite a bit (and unsure sometimes).  We often suggested ones to other teams which we thought better suited to other categories -- as do other teams.  I only liked to vote no (which meant to me, reject for all PA categories) if I felt really confident that it was not suitable for any PA category.   I have noticed that some people do not seem to consider other possible category placement when evaluating for their team, and have noticed no votes at progfreak that I think did just mean no for its category, rather than no for all of PA.  I think it's very important, and that teams should coordinate their efforts as much as possible/ is feasible.

As you say, one also must evaluate sufficient and relevant material.  When we were talking about Buckethead in the Eclectic team (I was already a part-time member by then), I bowed out because I didn't know much of the music, and hadn't heard anyhting that made me really want to pursue listeneing to lots of music.  It would take knowledge of quite a few albums to make the call, and his discography is daunting.  I would not expect team members, who are just volunteers, to go out and buy quite a few albums, then have to analyse them,  for an evaluation -- and there are often a  lot of evaluations to do, which are difficult enough to find time for.

I do think a couple of the Eclectic team members were pretty familiar with Buckethead (from what I remember before I left the team completely)  This is a case where an offer like Fabien's to help can be really useful, but as Rob says, there is a backlog, so don't expect much on this at any time soon.

Edited by Logan - October 21 2011 at 14:35
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2011 at 15:20
I've never heard anything by this Buckethead person (not on purpose at least) but just because of the name I would add him...........but I picked the last option.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2011 at 15:54
^^ I've tried to check ProgFreak for any sign of backlog, but I realized that Eclectic don't use it anymore. 
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2011 at 15:58
They moved to a masterlist in the team thread style quite some time ago as I recall.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2011 at 16:14
Here's what I have in my collection.  Quotes are from CD Universe or Amazon

Colma - "Titles like "Hills of Eternity" and "Wishing Well" are something of a giveaway -- though Brain's beats are fairly funky (and DJ Disc throws in a bit of far-off turntable scratching on a few tracks), these compositions are mostly pretty contemplative, occupying a space just one step away from the new age section."

Giant Robot -
"...[He] flamboyantly displays his futuristic chops on this imaginary monster-movie soundtrack....Full of hyperkinetic 'weedly-weedly-kerranging' guitar riffs and crunching rhythms..."

Monsters and Robots - "
Mixing metallic guitar heroics with funk, hip-hop, electronica, and a cinematic soundtrack feel, Buckethead's Monsters and Robots is yet another eclectic opus inspired in large part by low-budget monster/horror, martial arts, and science fiction movies, especially those of Japan"  It has Les on it so it's pretty close to a Primus album.

Funnel Weaver - a whole lot of really short prog metal tracks.

Bermuda Triangle - "
The majority of cuts are steeped in various permutations of electronica which encompass trance, funk, punk, R&B, and pop motifs bolstered by Buckethead's angular harmonics. When plunging into the blues of "Phantom Lights," the unpredictable guitarist toys with modulations and modal runs that slice through the plodding rhythms with savvy sophistication. The most haunting offering is "911," rendered on September 11, 2001. With simple lines and legato phrasing set to motion upon a sleepy foundation of hypnotic drum and bass loops, the composition is simultaneously apocalyptic and soothing."

Electric Tears - "
Experience the haunting, beautiful and ethereal side of Buckethead, the fried chicken bucket and white mask-wearing guitar magician who has been described by the likes of Bootsy Collins, Bill Laswell and Carlos Santana as a phenomenal guitar player. Here, Buckethead puts aside his usual ax shredding and calculated mayhem to take the listener on an atmospheric acoustic/electric voyage into his mind."

Bucketheadland 2 - "The tunes are mostly Buckethead's trademark light-speed heavy metal riffs and runs, separated/interrupted by little spoken bit"

Cuckoo Clocks of Hell, The - "
blistering, super-heavy guitar heroics after releases that focused on different parts of his multiple musical personalities. That may please the heavy shredder fans, but the relentless pummeling beats can get a bit tiresome"  I do have to concur with that.  Still sounds like some kind of prog metal to me.

population override - "
as close to an instrumental early Funkadelic album as almost anyone has gotten (think "Maggot Brain). These are actually tunes, not just riffing showcases, and Buckethead plays with an astonishing sense of depth and feeling; there are very few of his trademark hyperspeed licks."  More like jazz rock/fusion to me.  But it does have funky edge to it.  It's an instrumental concept album about the humans dieing off.

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 21 2011 at 16:57
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2011 at 20:25
Hmmm... no one from Ecletic Team came to this thread?
"Prog is Not Dead and never has been." (Will Sergeant, from Echo And The Bunnymen)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2011 at 23:04
Originally posted by tupan tupan wrote:

Rob (Epignosis) posted in this thread yesterday. Look to the second to last page.

Edited by Logan - October 21 2011 at 23:05
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2011 at 07:06
I think they're too busy not adding Herd Of Instinct at the moment. Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2011 at 07:13
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by tupan tupan wrote:

Rob (Epignosis) posted in this thread yesterday. Look to the second to last page.

Yes, you're right. Thank you! And seem that Epgnosis agree with Buckethead add!
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 16:45
I am bumping for a progress report. I am in favor for his inclusion greatly and the fact that this argument has spanned over half a decade baffles me.
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 16:48
Jesus, this thread is old.

I'm not sure if we should or not. From what I've heard for him, it;s definitely experimental, very adventurous and interesting, but not much of it seems like prog to me. So, no, or maybe Prog related.
broseidon View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2012 at 18:24
Buckethead has around 36 albums, which when you find that out sounds awesome, kind of makes you want to hear them all. 
But then you find out that only a quarter of them are listenable, the rest are the aimless sounds of a man tripping on psychedelics. 
I say add him, he's been a long time collaborator and he has actually produced some worthwhile interesting tracks that you can't deny reached the realm of proghood. just know that most his stuff deserves 1-2 ratings. 
Also know that I will fight for Joe Satriani multiple times in the future because this is in a lot of ways the same debate. 
Less can't mean more that doesn't make sense, more is more - Yngwie Malmsteen
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2013 at 21:27
Originally posted by SolarLuna96 SolarLuna96 wrote:

I am bumping for a progress report. I am in favor for his inclusion greatly and the fact that this argument has spanned over half a decade baffles me.
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2013 at 04:10
Okay, checking with the Eclectic Team.
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2013 at 11:14
Okay, rejected from Prog Metal some five years ago so that's a non-starter.

Despite what Rob said just over one year ago:

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Based on what everyone is saying, Buckethead probably belongs in Eclectic.

... Buckethead will not be added to Eclectic. He is seen as a controversial artist and as such would require the unanimous support of the team, which he does not have.

The only chance he now has would appear to be Prog Related. A SC on the Eclectic Team is willing to propose this to Admin if someone familiar with the artist provides a bio and a list of the albums that are of greatest interest to prog fans. If anyone wants to do this they'd probably be best to send a PM to someone on the Eclectic Team.  
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2013 at 11:41
Few ways of how to handle artists with big discographies collides here. Take for example obscure band from 70s that released one album. Good, solid Symphonic Prog. Not the best of genre, but good. Prog would make 50% of the album (I know, impossible to count, but for the sake of argument). 20 minutes of Prog, then rather Rock the rest of album.

=== 50% of their work is Prog, but it's only 20 minutes. But good 20 minutes.

Then you have Buckethead. I don't know how much of his work (across various bands) is Prog (or can be labelled as such), maybe 10-20%. But even if only 10%, it will be hundreds of minutes, so much it would form at least 5 albums of solid Prog, if only Proggy bits were put together. But just 10%.

What do you think ? :-D

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 18>