Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anime appreciation thread~!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 43>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 22:32
About to finish the first season of Black Lagoon. Wasn't too enticed by it, not bad though. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2014 at 05:51
I've just finished watching that. It's not bad but it's one of those weird series where I'm not sure whether I love or hate all the characters.

Finally watched all of Ghost in the Shell: SAC before that. Excellent series but it takes a few episodes to get into, particularly if you're more familiar with the film which has a very different atmosphere to it.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2014 at 07:42
I wish Benny got a little more exposure, i thought he was a (semi) unique character. 

Revy is growing on me, and Rock has some nice development, Dutch i liked from early on - though again i wish i had a little more depth to his character. I little more insight to who he is. 

The series was picking up once Roberta was introduced, with some decent moments beforehand though. 

One thing that bothers me is the damn theme song's video. It's so bad with the Powerpoint-like text editing and whatnot. The song has grown on me, especially how the girl says "shoulders" and who doesn't lip sync WEAPON... I HAVE IT ALLLLLL

On MyAnimeList i ranked the first season as a 6/10. Which stands for "Fine". 
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2014 at 09:09
I thought there was only the 1 season, unless you're referring to the OVA Roberta's Blood Trail.

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2014 at 11:31
There is Second Barrage. That's the name for S2.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2014 at 11:42
Ah, right, I've seen all 24 episodes together, didn't know they were split into 2 seasons.

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2014 at 11:55
Yea they certainly don't feel like it. 
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 21:55
Currently i'm watching the show Psycho-Pass. It's an interesting adaption on a police-drama. 

People are scanned and evaluated based on their mental state. This creates a "crime coefficient", where people are prosecuted and sought after if it is too elevated. The police hire criminals to aid them so their coefficients aren't effected too much when trying to deal with stressful cases and complex criminals. 

I'm enjoying it a lot really. Kind of has a Darker than Black feel to it, though the plot is actually there, and characters are developed and aren't strangers.. 
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 22:13
I've been trying to get through Last Exile for the past month or so.  I don't know what it is, but towards the end (about 17 or so episodes in), I've been losing interest.  I'm not even really sure as to what's going on.  
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 22:18
Haven't heard of that one. Also i'm still watching Mushishi. I've been taking my time with it and watching when i'm in the right mood. I think by doing this i've been more attached to the show. It isn't some quickie Embarrassed

A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 22:23
When I was watching Mushishi I would watch an episode before bed each night, it was relaxing.
I'm finally watching Steins;Gate, I've put it off for ages. I'm also watching Hanasaku Iroha but slice of life shows can be exhausting for me to watch all at once, so I watch episodes in between more plot driven ones.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 22:27
Yea i've watched a handful while in my bed, late at night.
I've watched a few on the roof of my library too. That's always nice Approve
The landscapes in that show are so beautiful, it's hard for me not to project it around me. Heart

Steins;Gate i started a while ago then put it off for some reason, i haven't been able to restart from where i was at yet. I have a list of animes i'm trying to finish as well as start. 

What is everyone's thoughts on the length of an anime? So you like shorter storytelling (12-24 episodes), more elaborate plots (maybe around 50-60?), or are you those guys who can't stand endings LOL(150+)?

Edited by Horizons - March 06 2014 at 22:30
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 22:38
It took me several weeks of watching just to get through the first episode of Steins;Gates.
12-13 is the perfect length for me (if you know what i mean), but 23-26ish episodes is doable. Anything longer than that has to be fairly good for me to ever finish.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2014 at 06:15
Currently watching Darker than Black. The writers really need a slap, the complete lack of scene setting means that it's amazingly confusing, I can't for then life of me see why this is so highly rated. It's a shame because it could have been a really good anime.

As for series length, it's the same as with music for me, it all depends on how much materiel you have. Baccano wouldn't have worked with more than 12 episodes but Gundam Zeta wouldn't have worked with less than 50 and I love both.

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2014 at 10:32
Yea I was disappointed with it. The premise of it is great with the contractors and syndicate but the writing just smeared everything into an ugly brown.
Oh well. Not everything can be as good as Code Geass :3

Soon I'll be starting up Soul Eater after watching the first handful of episodes a while ago on Toonami.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2014 at 10:35
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Currently watching Darker than Black. The writers really need a slap, the complete lack of scene setting means that it's amazingly confusing, I can't for then life of me see why this is so highly rated. It's a shame because it could have been a really good anime.
The one complaint I had against it was how how confusing it was, but it has great rewatch value. Wink
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2014 at 10:43
Though November 11 I liked. Such icy swag

Edited by Horizons - March 07 2014 at 10:44
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2014 at 19:19
So i finished Psych-Pass today. Absolutely loved it.
Some nice action, some nice characters, great idea, perfect ending, a bit of psychology-themed writing, 

Would recommend it to everyone. 

Edited by Horizons - March 10 2014 at 19:26
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2014 at 21:30
Just got back from the theater seeing The Wind Rises. A beautiful historical fiction by Miyazaki. Bravo!
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2014 at 12:37
Just watch the Korean feature "The House" last night. Definitely Miyazaki-ish with spirits and all, but with an interesting mix of animated elements, photographs, and paintings. The inclusion of the Seoul ghetto was nice too. The ending wrapped it up quite nicely, albeit not in the way I expected. Good film.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 43>