Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The New Neal Morse Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 45>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2012 at 23:55
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

^ It's good. It's really good on The Whirld Tour 2010 with Roine singing instead. I like it a lot more than Bridge Across Forever, which is essentially a Neal Morse solo piece.

I don't like Roine's voice at all. I prefer Neal Morse any day of the week.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2012 at 00:02
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

^ It's good. It's really good on The Whirld Tour 2010 with Roine singing instead. I like it a lot more than Bridge Across Forever, which is essentially a Neal Morse solo piece.

I don't like Roine's voice at all. I prefer Neal Morse any day of the week.

Shocked

Even in Transatlantic? I know his voice can be an acquired taste, but Neal's vocals can occasionally sound a little sugary.

Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2012 at 00:13

Shocked

Even in Transatlantic? I know his voice can be an acquired taste, but Neal's vocals can occasionally sound a little sugary.

It's hard for me to explain but there's certain voices I'm attracted to and others that I'm not. Roine's voice just doesn't do too much for me. Perhaps in the harder edged pieces Roine's voice will be fine but the music has to damn good for me not to be distracted. In a work like We All Need Some Light, Roine's voice would just ruin it for me, even though he does sing some backup towards the end, which he sounded fine, but his voice isn't a lead voice IMHO.

Edited by Mirror Image - July 31 2012 at 00:13
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2012 at 09:32

Shocked

It's hard for me to explain but there's certain voices I'm attracted to and others that I'm not. Roine's voice just doesn't do too much for me. Perhaps in the harder edged pieces Roine's voice will be fine but the music has to damn good for me not to be distracted. In a work like We All Need Some Light, Roine's voice would just ruin it for me, even though he does sing some backup towards the end, which he sounded fine, but his voice isn't a lead voice IMHO.

i see where your coming from. i've learned to love both roine, neal, and even portnoy's voice on those TA discs.  it's a matter of taste.  i love neil young's voice, my wife hates itLOL

as far as TA goes, are their live albums any good?  i don't know which one to get first.  seems like all the Whrilwind live releases are bit of over-kill.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2012 at 09:39
^ I say get the "Whirld Tour 2010" You get The Whirlwind, all the big epics, plus WANSL and BAF . Don't bother with the other release "More Is Never Enough".
Ytse_Jam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ytse_Jam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2012 at 11:12
And what about Pete Trewavas? Portnoy isn't the only who should shut up and play his instrument IMO 
Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morsenator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2012 at 13:09
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Shocked

i see where your coming from. i've learned to love both roine, neal, and even portnoy's voice on those TA discs.  it's a matter of taste.  i love neil young's voice, my wife hates itLOL

as far as TA goes, are their live albums any good?  i don't know which one to get first.  seems like all the Whrilwind live releases are bit of over-kill.

Whirld Tour 2010 Live is my absolute favourite live dvd Clap You should get it, it's amazing.

You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morsenator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2012 at 13:14
It's really funny how the taste of enjoying/hating peoples vocals varies so much, I love both Neal and Roine's singing, even Pete's, Mike isn't a particularly good singer but he doesn't usually turn me off (except the growly DT parts, ughh Confused). Then there's some like Geddy Lee whose voice I really can't stand much.

Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2012 at 13:40
Originally posted by Morsenator Morsenator wrote:

It's really funny how the taste of enjoying/hating peoples vocals varies so much, I love both Neal and Roine's singing, even Pete's, Mike isn't a particularly good singer but he doesn't usually turn me off (except the growly DT parts, ughh Confused). Then there's some like Geddy Lee whose voice I really can't stand much.

This is true. I personally like Geddy Lee's voice (circa Moving Pictures and forward especially). Neal Morse's voice is just pure ear candy, but someone like Fish or even Steve Hackett don't bother me. In fact, I like Hackett's voice a lot. Many people talk in disdain of it, but it doesn't bother or distract me whatsoever. I think Fish got better. I can barely listen to Script For A Jester's Tear and Fugazi, but Fugazi was an improvement. Clutching At Straws and Misplaced Childhood, on the other hand, were a huge improvement. I don't like Hogarth's voice. It has this nasal quality that just rubs me the wrong way, but he sounded good on Season's End, Brave, and Afraid of Sunlight. IQ's Peter Nicholls is an acquired taste for many, but I really like his voice the more I listen to it and I simply can't imagine IQ having anyone else as their vocalist even though they made two albums without Nicholls. David Gilmour always had a pleasing voice to me as does Jon Anderson. John Wetton sounds good to me. Greg Lake is another with a pleasing voice. Anyway, the list is just getting out of hand now. Tongue 
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2012 at 23:09

^ I say get the "Whirld Tour 2010" You get The Whirlwind, all the big epics, plus WANSL and BAF . Don't bother with the other release "More Is Never Enough".

cool.  thanks for the recommendation.Big smile

speaking of singers, went to see Yes tonight with Jon Davison from Glass Hammer.  The dude killed it!  disclaimer, i got a really really cheap ticket.  they were basically giving them away.  the band is tired and geoff downs is basically asleep.Unhappy
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Master of Time View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Master of Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2012 at 15:37
They just posted Thoughts Part 5 on Neal's Facebook page, it sounds awesome.

Lofcaudio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lofcaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2012 at 16:55
Wow...lots of prog-goodness there.  Fresh, yet a nice homage to the prog classics.  Sounds great!  (referring to the Thoughts, Pt. 5 video above).
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2012 at 17:19
Originally posted by Master of Time Master of Time wrote:

They just posted Thoughts Part 5 on Neal's Facebook page, it sounds awesome.

That's a great song!

I enjoyed that more than anything on the Flying Colors album. If the rest of it is that good.....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morsenator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2012 at 01:21
Yep. Me likes it a lot too Tongue

zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2012 at 06:58
ahh, yeah that is AWESOME.  incidentally, i see that Momentum has been reviewed here on progarchives.  5 stars!  really looking forward to this :)
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2012 at 07:54
I am totally digging this video.  I may have to give this one a whirl.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2012 at 08:31
I'm going to do what I always do......wait for the album.  No spoilers for me, I just want to take in the whole thing when I have the CD in my player.

As to the vocals of Roine Stolt, I love them.  I like his vocals more than Neal's, to be honest, though I do like Neal's a lot.   As someone mentioned, he can get very sugary sweet, in a bad way.  Voices are very much a matter of taste though.  I can't stand to listen to Bruce Springsteen "sing", for instance, but obviously much of the world disagrees.  As to the other members of TA, Pete is not bad from what I've heard, and Portnoy seems to have improved greatly in the past several years but should still just play drums and forget about singing.  Pete should probably stick to backing vocals, as he seems pretty good at that (like Steve Howe).

Someone mentioned Hackett, and I'd say he's another one that has improved greatly over the years.  His rare vocals on his early solo albums were dreadful, but on the most recent couple, he actually sounds pretty good.
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2012 at 11:51
Wow what a great video and song. Neal has blown me away once again, this song alone would make me buy the new album. That 33 min. epic is going to be insane.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2012 at 12:27
yeah, i just sample stuff quickly, but i'm waiting for the album to really pay attention and get into it.  it does sound great though.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2012 at 20:38
Not gonna watch/listen to Thoughts pt 5, just going to wait until the album comes out, though I already heard the title track for Momentum once.

I've come to realize the biggest difference between Neal Morse and Roine Stolt's music. Neal's music, especially on his solo prog albums, COMMANDS your attention, even on first listen. It's those powerful melodies of his.

Roine's music, whether it's Flower Kings or otherwise, usually, slowly draws you in, and creeps up on you; you don't even know how good his music is the first couple of listens. Before you know it, everything makes sense, and you're trying to hear every nuance of the music.

This is why I enjoy Transatlantic so much, as you get both aspects.

Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

I am totally digging this video.  I may have to give this one a whirl.

ho ho
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 45>