Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPink FLoyd - The Endless River

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 16:23
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Half stars would be excellent. Like the 2.5  stars that I think this album deserves.

I have heard that those people who leave less than 4-star ratings for TER have lingering nightmares and grind their teeth during sleep. 
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 17:28
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Oh, it will .......   I always come back to Side 3 - that Talkin' Hawkin' is just tops......

It's become my favorite too. Thumbs Up

The more I listen to the album, the more I like it. It's beautiful, really. A solid 4.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 22:00
Next up on the TT - The Endless River
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 22:01

^ .....book-ended with Allons-y I &II - just WOW !!
Still, I wouldn't say the album is a 'masterpiece', but it sure is excellent.

It is not a masterpiece indeed... but I feel it could have been. If they had got Dick Parry for the sax on Anisina, that one might have ended much better. Perhaps if they had united a bit better the pieces on side 3... the first two pieces have an uncomfortable stop before the Allons-Y things, and the build up it had been going through was just broken. And also, perhaps if side 4 had been better unified it could have helped... specially to make the "song" (louder than words) better; I feel that if the first two songs of this side had worked as an intro for "Louder than Words" (without a pause between them), and then "Surfacing" had been used at the end as the final guitar solo for the song, it would have ended up being a much better song than it ended up being.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 22:08
^ I can see that !! It does come across as bits-n-pieces-ish, it does have more potential. I think Gilmour intended some of the pieces to stand on their own anyway, so, it is what it is, and it's something special.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 23:06
Yep - Side 3 is my favourite. And the weakest track is Anisina - thanks to that sax...but it's still a very nice track.
I love Wright's Farfisa at the start of Side 2 - kinda like the intro to Umma Gumma live Astronomy Domine....
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 03:16

^ .....book-ended with Allons-y I &II - just WOW !!
Still, I wouldn't say the album is a 'masterpiece', but it sure is excellent.
Like two slices of bread on a sandwich... yummy :D
Side 3 is my favourite too.
aliano View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 04:16
I just want more of On Noodle StreetCry
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 04:20
Originally posted by aliano aliano wrote:

I just want more of On Noodle StreetCry
True. Pratt's bass on that track is sweet. Way too short....
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 16:02
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

After all that, I can agree with a 2 rating - for collectors/fans - it doesn't say it's good or bad, it could well be an excellent album for collectors/fans..... Me, I'd rate it a solid 4 - excellent addition to any Prog collection. A 2 is almost better than a 3,- good, but non- essential......

I can see what you are saying, but most of the people see numeric ratings on PA and elsewhere as notches on a linear scale scale:

1 is awful (in my definition, "non-music")
2 is bad
3 is a passing grade .. so-so .. average .. if I don't (didn't) have it already, I may never buy it
4 is good (nice-to-have; should buy as soon as I can)
5 is great (must-have)

In other words, for 99% of people who see 2 on the scale from 1 to 5 will interpret it as "bad", which PA substituted with a PC euphemism "for fans only". 
I don't think 99% of PA users regard the ratings like that, and if they do they haven't read the ratings description.

As for TER, I think it's yet another good, but not great, PF album. Nothing spectacular, but, like their three previous albums, not bad either, and nice to have in ones collection, i.e. three stars.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 16:36
Here's what I wrote earlier tonight about The Endless River:
"It's a good album, but it is massively overhyped, which kills it for a lot of people - because they expect more than they get. "
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 09:36
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

After all that, I can agree with a 2 rating - for collectors/fans - it doesn't say it's good or bad, it could well be an excellent album for collectors/fans..... Me, I'd rate it a solid 4 - excellent addition to any Prog collection. A 2 is almost better than a 3,- good, but non- essential......

I can see what you are saying, but most of the people see numeric ratings on PA and elsewhere as notches on a linear scale scale:

1 is awful (in my definition, "non-music")
2 is bad
3 is a passing grade .. so-so .. average .. if I don't (didn't) have it already, I may never buy it
4 is good (nice-to-have; should buy as soon as I can)
5 is great (must-have)

In other words, for 99% of people who see 2 on the scale from 1 to 5 will interpret it as "bad", which PA substituted with a PC euphemism "for fans only". 
I don't think 99% of PA users regard the ratings like that, and if they do they <span style="font-size: 12.8000001907349px;">haven't read the ratings description.</span>
<span style="font-size: 12.8000001907349px;">
</span>
<span style="font-size: 12.8000001907349px;">As for TER, I think it's yet another good, but not great, PF album. Nothing spectacular, but, like their three previous albums, not bad either, and nice to have in ones collection, i.e. three stars.</span>

Guys. I could never Agree with a 2 rating for this album under any circumstances. This album has quality all over it no matter even if it doesn't measure up to a person's musical standards for what they (Pink Floyd) have done early on. One of the pit falls of being so successful for such a long time people will always just assume that the artist will be able to razzle dazzle them every damn time. The endless river is simply beautiful music and really shouldn't be weighed and considered to such albums like Darkside and wish you were here. It's not fair because those were very special albums for the time when they were made. I say just focus on what you are hearing. For me it's an easy 4/5.
Especially hearing this album in 24/96 no less. It's a beautiful experience.
No way that could ever warrant a 2! Man. That is an awful rating.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 09:50
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

No way that could ever warrant a 2! Man. That is an awful rating.

It was ranked 3.60 a few days a go. Now it's at 3.58. I'm sure it's going to eventually drop below 3 and hover in the 2 range; but we shall see. Probably take a few years to get there though...

Edited by jude111 - December 14 2014 at 09:52
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 11:01
In agreement with Progbethyname: whoever bothers to invest their $$$ into TER (i.e. presumably like this kind of music) could never fairly grade it below 3 - on universal merits alone. It's just too well made, which will be noted even by those who do not live and die for the Pink Floyd sound. The compositions are tasteful. The sound it fantastic. The musicianship is flawless.  

Had I blind-tested it, I'd probably given it 4 stars, with a question lingering in the back on my mind: why does it sound like snippets of Pink Floyd?  With the blindfold off, the incredible cover art easily adds half a point or more. 

Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Here's what I wrote earlier tonight about The Endless River:"It's a good album, but it is massively overhyped, which kills it for a lot of people - because they expect more than they get. " 

The problem is, obviously, with the "lot of people" described herein above, not so much with TER.

I can think of maybe 7 albums that I have recently laid my hands on because they had been "highly spoken of" by the good people of PA, with abundant use of superlatives. Well, three of them (albums, not people) turned out to be rather meretricious; three more were a little below expectations, and one was excellent.

Would it be fair for me to give the first 3 album one-star reviews, which would be a point or two lower than their real overall value, just because they didn't meet my hypothetical list of my expectations? 

Edited by Argonaught - December 14 2014 at 12:11
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 02:29
A solid three.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 13:59
Was listening to DSOTM again the other day.....timeless......It's what they do

I think ' It's what we do" is the standout track off TER, album probs 3.5 stars but will wait another month at least before deciding. The journey is the fun part :-)
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 14:13
Totally agree with you Chris, and the resemblance of that track with SOYCD is quite evident for me, but it has as well a peculiar beautiful guitar melody that makes it stunning indeed.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 14:57

Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Here's what I wrote earlier tonight about The Endless River:"It's a good album, but it is massively overhyped, which kills it for a lot of people - because they expect more than they get. " 

The problem is, obviously, with the "lot of people" described herein above, not so much with TER.

I can think of maybe 7 albums that I have recently laid my hands on because they had been "highly spoken of" by the good people of PA, with abundant use of superlatives. Well, three of them (albums, not people) turned out to be rather meretricious; three more were a little below expectations, and one was excellent.

Would it be fair for me to give the first 3 album one-star reviews, which would be a point or two lower than their real overall value, just because they didn't meet my hypothetical list of my expectations? 

The problem is both with the people overhyping, and the people falling for that. You should judge the album by its own merits, not your expectations, and so should everyone. What I tried to make clear is that a lot of negative comments now are indeed based on the album not meeting expectations. Apparently there are quite a few amongst us who were expecting Dark Side of the Moon Mk II..... 
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 19:48
More like WYWH than Dark Side....
.........can't fathom the fact that some folks are let down with this album - unless this is some folk's first taste of the band.....
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 00:16

More like WYWH than Dark Side....
.........can't fathom the fact that some folks are let down with this album - unless this is some folk's first taste of the band.....

Yes I agree especially " It,s What We Do" is more like WYWH and is excellent by itself, the point I was making was that the epic albums were always five members. Some will argue but IMO no albums eclipse Meddle, DSOTM,WYWH, Animals and The Wall.

Enjoying this precious new release though.....

Edited by Chris S - December 16 2014 at 00:17
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516>