Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 139140141142143 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2015 at 22:07
^ Ooooo..yes they look pushed in, once that happens it's game over. You could buy new drivers and replace them. www.parts-express.com sells pretty good drivers but matching them to the cross overs in your current boxes might be an issue.

Save up and buy new ones is my suggestion. Right now there are some real good deals out there.....Once you are ready to buy, call and talk to them and ask for lower price.

The speed box is essentially an upgraded power supply unit. It replaces the wall wart that came with your TT, using quartz control technology it maintains very accurate speed. It works in 60Hz world, so it creates the 60Hz sine wave at 45rpm, and 44.3Hz at 33.33rpm so you leave the belt on the 45rpm pulley. Use the push button to change the speed....
It does have step up and down fine adjustment of 0.1rpm if you use a strobe disc and find it not perfect on 33.33 or 45.0..but it holds speed to 0.0001 accuracy. 

Edited by Catcher10 - December 03 2015 at 22:19
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 09:35
Hi there!

A family pic of my online November finds :

Wink
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 10:23
^ Outstanding Clap Toto IV for me has always been a great listen. And those two Queen albums are classic
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 10:29
Thanks! Very happy! More French obscure prog in my collection (Pulsar...)
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 10:44
^^^^ I agree, I'll start saving for new speakers, after I buy the phono cables. I have some Sony speakers that are a bit smaller and not as good as the Pioneer ones. I have to double the amp's volume to have a decent sound but the phono cables' hum is also amplified a lot Ouch
That's interesting, thanks for explaining Smile

^^^ Great finds! I love Magma's debut and Camel's Live Record. I have to give Pavlov's Dog another listen, I heard "Late November" on the radio, the other day. What's the album under it?
Pulsar were quite popular in my country, they even played here in the late 70's.
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 10:47
"Late November" is on this album. I don't know well this band, not sure about the voice but I like Mellotron so much... I believe this album features quite a lot of it...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 11:42
^ The vocals are certainly an acquired taste, it sounds like a crossover between Geddy Lee and Bernardo Lanzetti Tongue
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 13:57
Originally posted by Anaon Anaon wrote:

Hi there!

A family pic of my online November finds :

Wink

Nice little haul you've found there.
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 14:24
Thanks! I can't wait to listen to them but I'm waiting for a new stylus as I broke mine Shocked
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 14:29
^ How did you break the stylus? Shocked
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 14:47
If only I knew... Well, I think it was kind of used so I was thinking about changing it anyway but I tried to clean before with some king of "magic eraser sponge", it seems that it did more harm than good Confused
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 14:57
Uhhooo.......magic eraser is a good cleaner but you have to be very careful!! Make sure you go straight up and down never use it like a brush. It will grab a hold of the tip and pull it out Shocked.
I don't use it anymore, I bought a small carbon fiber brush...this one
Really works well to remove dirt from the tip. Always remember to brush back to front!!! Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 15:00
^^ Another case of DWY, it's not just me Tongue You don't have one of those little brushes?

Edited by Meltdowner - December 04 2015 at 15:00
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 15:01
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Uhhooo.......magic eraser is a good cleaner but you have to be very careful!! Make sure you go straight up and down never use it like a brush. It will grab a hold of the tip and pull it out Shocked.
I don't use it anymore, I bought a small carbon fiber brush...this one
Really works well to remove dirt from the tip. Always remember to brush back to front!!! Thumbs Up

Then you confirm my thoughts, I admit I haven't been enough careful obviously so I will be now Wink thanks for the suggestion, do you have the brand or model of this fiber brush?

Thanks
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 15:04
^ http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=cleanit&cat=accessories&lang=en
I'll have to get one too, mine is really old and doesn't get the dirt out effectively.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 15:08
I bought mine from LPGear in Las Vegas.....Everyone makes a similar one. In the UK Pro-Ject has one, they are inexpensive. I think I paid $10 for mine, I also use the brush that came with my Audio Technica cartridge, has longer fibers...looks like this

Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 15:10
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^^ Another case of DWY, it's not just me Tongue You don't have one of those little brushes?

Sorry what do you mean by DWY?

I only won this brush, it's for records but I use it on the stylus as well :

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 15:12
Also get a magnifying glass, jewelers loupe to inspect your tip on occasion, something like 20-30x power is good. I look at mine every couple days just to make sure all is good, I play mainly new vinyl so no concerns about much dirt......Once you invest in some of these tools for your TT you will not need much else, they last quite awhile, unless you break or lose them Big smile 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 15:17
^^ Do Worse Yourself, like I did to my speakers on the previous page.
I don't have one of those: I have a 70's vinyl cleaning kit, but that brush is missing.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 15:19
^^ Don't use that on your stylus, it's too hard to maneuver and brush back to front. I have used one in the past, does an OK job but I found they do not last too long.
I use the Discwasher D4 cleaning system for my records, really does a nice job.

The red brush is to clean the bigger brush. One day I will invest in a RCM, but they are not cheap, about $600 for the VPI one....but they work magic on used vinyl
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 139140141142143 312>