Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 142143144145146 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2012 at 16:28
Wow, love the front cover with those animals on it, Pierre! Other than the link your provided, I can't find any trace of that album on the net!! What a shame, I'd love to hear it!
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2012 at 19:39
Originally posted by Andrea Cortese Andrea Cortese wrote:

Jimmy Spitaleri nowadays (behind him there's Le Orme's Michi dei Rossi).

He is the spitting image of Saruman the White!!! No wonder he was the singer of Metamorfosi in an album named INFERNO!!!

Here's Saruman the original one (from the motion picture):

LOLLOLLOL Nice... 

Very odd, as just this past week, after reading info about it on the ItalianProgRock.com site, I was thinking about getting the Inferno LP, but went for Goblin's Roller instead. 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2012 at 20:16
Wow, seems like I am million miles away from being complete in terms of fulfilling my RPI thirst. Man, every time I look this thread up I feel like a baby.
Thanks you guys.

Listening to Cervello's Melos on my way home on the bus feeling pretty inebreated. I love how this album sounds like an Italian version of the Danish band Burnin Red Ivanhoe. Gotta love those angular reeds!!!!!!!
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 01:34
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Franco Leprino's Integrati.....Disintegrati. A bonafide masterpiece of electronic music, if you ask me. Here's the whole album for you:
And secondly:
Both these albums feature a clear imaginative inspiration drawn from the early German pioneers, but they've got much more under their belts. Personally I hear a lot of the same stuff that fuelled the RPI 'genre' and the folky bands. Classic guitar arpeggios and romantic bittersweet piano orchestrations, all of which fit perfectly within the progressive electronic sphere. If you ever come across either of these albums Michael, please don't hesitate

Dave, I've heard the first side of that Leprino album, and it's wonderful! I was very curious (skeptical, even?! ) when you mentioned the album balanced electronic soundscape with more traditional RPI qualities, but you were spot on! I love how both those elements gently wash over you, sheer bliss!! Now on to side 2....thanks for those Youtube links!

No idea if it's available on CD anyone?
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 02:03
There is a CD Michael, but it's very rare.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 02:05
Yep, Pierre, just did a quick check, very scarce details on it, seems like the one CD release was back in the 90's?

Man, all these LP's/out of print CD's that need to be reissued, too many to imagine!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 02:16
I was thinking. Frankly, a label like BTF is happy when it can sell a few hundred copies of a rarity. Why not create a system of pre order for people like you and me and then decide, based on the number of pre orders, for the reisue of the CD ?
Don't know if I'm very clear Head on wall
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 06:10
Pierre, your idea is VERY clear! That would be a great idea!!

I'm sure it would help them work out what sort of level of interest there is of certain titles.

There's plenty of bands that have asked for fans to `pre-buy' their next album before they've even recorded it, this could kind of be the same thing.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 06:14
Count me in! I am fed up with the prospect of having to use YouTube for the rest of my miserable life just to hear some of my most beloved albums, because nobody ever puts them out
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 06:30
I don't know if it is possible. Sometimes there are license problems. It's the case for one of the greatest soul band of the seventies "The Sylvers". While there are many petitions of listenners, still no reissue.
There is another problem. How to involve the sellers (like Greg Walker and others) in the transaction ?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 06:39
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Franco Leprino's Integrati.....Disintegrati. A bonafide masterpiece of electronic music, if you ask me. Here's the whole album for you:
And secondly:
Both these albums feature a clear imaginative inspiration drawn from the early German pioneers, but they've got much more under their belts. Personally I hear a lot of the same stuff that fuelled the RPI 'genre' and the folky bands. Classic guitar arpeggios and romantic bittersweet piano orchestrations, all of which fit perfectly within the progressive electronic sphere. If you ever come across either of these albums Michael, please don't hesitate

Dave, I've heard the first side of that Leprino album, and it's wonderful! I was very curious (skeptical, even?! ) when you mentioned the album balanced electronic soundscape with more traditional RPI qualities, but you were spot on! I love how both those elements gently wash over you, sheer bliss!! Now on to side 2....thanks for those Youtube links!

No idea if it's available on CD anyone?

It is an amazing album. I am glad you enjoy it Michael.
I have it on vinyl, so no idea if it's gotten a reissue over the years.
We should definitely employ the duck's suggestion methinks. Not only does it taste good, it is an incredible thinker..... the duck.

- Douglas Adams
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 09:27
For your listening pleasure, this is one of those rare gems from the religious branch of the tree.....from 1973.  Lots of nice acoustic guitar playing, a decent rhythm section, choirs, flutes...nice album.

Note, it seems to get better as it moves on.....if you don't like the first song, keep listening.

Luciano Laurini - Uno come tanti altri

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF3017EBFC7BE6ACF

Edited by Finnforest - November 25 2012 at 09:29

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 09:49
Thanks so much, Jim. Clap I love all those Xian artists !
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 09:56
It really is a unique subset of the Italian scene....they are not as wild as some of the bands, but almost always quite interesting in their approach.....and whenever choirs are involved I love itLOL

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 10:22
I do too. Mats made a list of theXian bands he knows on his site, but I imagine there are many others.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 13:04
Earlier I listened to the third SALIS ALBUM : DOPO IL BUIO LA LUCE. Very different from the two first works of the band, close to folk rock. This one has strong spanish and oriental influences. Very good ... but very rare. Pfffff ....

Diablo

A Walter

Novembre

seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seventhsojourn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 14:11
Impossible to find that one on CD, Pierre. Unhappy
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 14:27
I never heard their first two but this one, like you mentioned Pierre, blends RPI with those spanish and oriental influences sounding a bit like Mezquita or Crack, but it's also very close to fusion.

Love the title track too...Great album!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 15:08
Another impossible CD to find. Though I found it two hours ago on a bulgarian site and bought it for 22 euros. 10 minutes later, I receive a message from Paypal. Sorry, but the CD is not available, out of stock. But that's not the end. 15 minutes later I receive another message from the bulgarian site. Finally we have it, but, considering that the CD is out of stock, the price is not 22 euros anymore, but 122 euros. My answer ? GO TO HELL !!!!! The name of the site is Kupid.com.
PS : Cupide means greedy in french.

Now the other impossible Cd to find : EXPLOIT : CRISI (1972). the long suite is great.

Speranza

L'anima nuda (sounds spanish too)
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea Cortese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 15:59
I like Mario Lavezzi.

From the track below you can hear hints to Battisti and Il Volo. Not too far from what Alberto Radius did in the same period.

His debut album has also a pretty decent cover.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 142143144145146 358>