Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 18:48
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 13:44
^ Nice score
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 14:28
True. Unfortunately most of them had skips, but it was all pretty minor, just one or two per album. Most of them were 3 bucks so it's almost expected.

Edited by smartpatrol - May 09 2014 at 14:28
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 15:05
Well a good hand cleaning, scrubing with dish solution/water mix...rinse usually gets my bargain buys sounding excellent.

Also a good tracking cartridge helps a lot...I have zero skipping.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 15:31
Received yesterday the 40th Anniversary Rush debut album package. Real nice box set, includes a lot of nice extras.

The vinyl is 200g using DMM pressing process, excellent sound brilliantly done.

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 16:39
Moon Records... Wow, quite the artifact!

Edit: ah ok i just saw yr post on the Rush thread. I thought this was the original local pressing of the '74 album or something. Still, looks like a delicious package and lovely pressing.

Edited by HolyMoly - May 09 2014 at 16:41
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 16:52
^ Nah...reissue but all in original art form. I do constantly look for a Moon Record version.

The Rush family tree chart is cool, couple names I had not known about before.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 22:58
Another arrival today...this one from across the pond Burning Shed. As normal from Steven Wilson/PT, the SQ is excellent! Especially this album with the soundscapes and all. Sound stage is fantastic and not a hint of any compression....Super nice!

Red vinyl to boot!!

Edited by Catcher10 - May 10 2014 at 10:03
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 23:11
I think the Jack White thing sounds stupid but at the same time I want it so bad. But then again my player doesn't play backwards so I'd be screwed if I wanted to hear side A.

God damn, that's a beautiful piece of vinyl right there!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 23:15
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

I think the Jack White thing sounds stupid but at the same time I want it so bad. But then again my player doesn't play backwards so I'd be screwed if I wanted to hear side A.God damn, that's a beautiful piece of vinyl right there!

No, no...Side A the groove starts at the inside and then plays to the outside. The outside edge has an endless groove so the needle does not drop off the outside edge....all played in regular rotation.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 23:19
Oh, cool. Still, I'm pretty tight on cash atm. Just bought over a hundred dollars on records in the past month and will be buying even more, probably around 25 bucks or so, once the new location of Half Price Books near me opens in June.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 23:35
I hear dude!! I would like to get the JW album, I suspect more of those features will come out with other artists.

I think its cool.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 23:37
One of the most important aspects of vinyl for me was also the quality of the label on the disc, really love Deram/Decca/Arista and of course the ultimate Charisma. Plus the date was important. Vertigo was cool too with only the info on side 2. The original Virgin.....Clearlight Symphony.....mmmm, sorry just went on a preambleEmbarrassed
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2014 at 00:03
Good points Chris.....+1 on the Deram and Charisma. I'll throw in EMI too.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2014 at 00:23
Logos View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2014 at 09:43
This topic, especially Catcher10's posts, really make me want to acquire a turntable and some vinyl.. damn you, cd's are already wrecking my personal economy LOL

Fantastic stuff, keep 'em coming Clap

Edited by Logos - May 10 2014 at 09:44
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2014 at 10:08
^ No problem...will do! For some vinyl just expands the listening experience....points Chris S has stated.

Glad you like the thread.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2014 at 10:39
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Another arrival today...this one from across the pond Burning Shed. As normal from Steven Wilson/PT, the SQ is excellent! Especially this album with the soundscapes and all. Sound stage is fantastic and not a hint of any compression....Super nice!

Red vinyl to boot!!

Is this the original version or the re-recording with real drums? I can't find new copies of the original on CD or vinyl.

Edited by Meltdowner - May 10 2014 at 10:40
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2014 at 11:40
^ Here is the info from Burning Shed/PT site....this is the remixed/remastered version which includes real drums by Gavin.

The first in a series of KScope vinyl reissues of Porcupine Tree's Delerium-era albums.

The 1993 classic, Up The Downstair, comes as a Limited Edition (2000 copies) double 180 gram heavy-weight red coloured vinyl release with gatefold sleeve, and features the 2004 remix/remaster of Up the Downstair/Staircase Infinities, plus the bonus track Phantoms (taken from the Stars Die anthology).

Please note that these represses have identical contents and design to the Delerium/Headspin editions, although this is the first time they have been issued in coloured vinyl.

"a wonderful release" Classic Rock Society

"the spiritual heirs to Pink Floyd, the Tree offer a magical kaleidoscope of elegant rock pleasure, showcasing understated rhythm, grand synth washes and sweet, punchy electric guitar" Record CollectorThe first in a series of KScope vinyl reissues of Porcupine Tree's Delerium-era albums.

Edited by Catcher10 - May 10 2014 at 11:41
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2014 at 12:14
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

I think the Jack White thing sounds stupid but at the same time I want it so bad. But then again my player doesn't play backwards so I'd be screwed if I wanted to hear side A.God damn, that's a beautiful piece of vinyl right there!

No, no...Side A the groove starts at the inside and then plays to the outside. The outside edge has an endless groove so the needle does not drop off the outside edge....all played in regular rotation.

Don't play it often.

You'll destroy your stylus and the record rapidly if you do. The arm on a record deck has some mechanism (spring or hanging weight usually) to provide the centripetal force necessary for the stylus to move to the centre of the disc without hitting the outer wall of the groove.

If the stylus has to move outwards, that means it HAS to use the inner wall of the groove to counteract this and move outwards. This will do neither any good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 312>