Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Psych Rock Lounge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 25>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 11:29
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Most of the shoegaze I've heard has a kind of new age ambient feel to it, also in the way the soundscapes are constructed, just filtered through the context of 1980s indie rock. The post-punk/new wave bands that probably were the closest to 1960s psychedelia in surface aesthetics I'd wager were The Soft Boys and The Teardrop Explodes... not to mention Robyn Hitchcock and Julian Cope's bands afterwards.
I have to clarify my statement regarding Shoegaze as I was quite overtired when posting yesterday. My friend's suggestion regarding Shoegaze as newer Psych rock music was that these bands were now focusing on subtle psych vibes in the music, as opposed to Neo-psych bands that still embraced the older Psych sound full on. Something he referred to allegorically as Psych going "underground and under the radar."

I'm still not sure that I totally agree with his opinion, but it's caused me to at least consider it.

Edited by SteveG - February 13 2015 at 11:30
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 11:49
Some Shoegaze? This is available for free or at a higher cost if you like at http://arcademessiah.bandcamp.com/releases

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 11:55
^Thanks for the suggestion Dan, I will definitely give them a spin. I've heard that this band is considered "heavy stoner music" but that's about all I know about them at present.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 17:04
Just picked up the vinyl reissue of In A Priest Driven Ambulance. Was happily surprised by the extra LP. Totally worth the $24.

And the record shop I got it from has the vinyl reissue of Telepathic Surgery, too. Getting that next trip.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 04:45
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

.....Getting that next trip.

Wink
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 14:43
The Elevators are back, baby! 

http://pitchfork.com/news/58470-13th-floor-elevators-to-reunite-for-first-performance-since-1967/
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 04:55
That was... unexpected. It's good to finally see the Elevators get the recognition they deserve, despite being one of the most important psychedelic music groups they've been rather obscure for most of rock history. (i. e. giving the genre its name with their debut LP) Like I mentioned earlier, they've only really been acknowledged as important by punks who regard them as a garage rock forerunner of their own movement, rather than by the subculture they helped create.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 05:11
People here might also dig the Scorpions' 1974 debut LP Lonesome Crow.

It's very different from the style most associate them with, instead being psychedelic hard rock somewhere between The Jimi Hendrix Experience and Black Sabbath. Their country of origin is belied by the frequent strange atmospheric flourishes and wandering tangents that at times call to mind Amon Düül II, if nowhere as ambitious.

I'm guessing that its obscurity is a consequence half of the fact that most psych-rock fans wouldn't touch the band best known for Rock You Like a Hurricane with a ten foot pole, half from a lot of metalheads regarding the psychedelic rock that heavy metal evolved out of as a cultural dead end?

Edited by Toaster Mantis - February 15 2015 at 05:12
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 05:32
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

People here might also dig the Scorpions' 1974 debut LP Lonesome Crow.

It's very different from the style most associate them with, instead being psychedelic hard rock somewhere between The Jimi Hendrix Experience and Black Sabbath. Their country of origin is belied by the frequent strange atmospheric flourishes and wandering tangents that at times call to mind Amon Düül II, if nowhere as ambitious.

I'm guessing that its obscurity is a consequence half of the fact that most psych-rock fans wouldn't touch the band best known for Rock You Like a Hurricane with a ten foot pole, half from a lot of metalheads regarding the psychedelic rock that heavy metal evolved out of as a cultural dead end?

The sun is drying out my braaaaiiin!

No Klaus, I think you'll find that's just the effects of an exceptionally large amount of cannabis...

Great little album and a complete one-off. Though I have it with the 'big hand, small scorpion' cover art. Which I think was the original, but still a bummer. The other is much better.

Edited by Mascodagama - February 15 2015 at 05:41
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 06:43
Another point of comparison might be how Flower Travellin' Band's Satori might have sounded were the band Occidental in origin, but that's kind of a contradiction in terms since one of my favourite things about that album is that it's one of the most characteristically Asian heavy metal/hard rock records I've ever heard.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 12:44

http://pitchfork.com/news/58470-13th-floor-elevators-to-reunite-for-first-performance-since-1967/
Great news! It seems that they were appearing back on the radar for the last 4-5 years and I guess there's enough interest to see them perform. I wonder if Tommy Hall still hides acid in his jug? LOL

Guess I'll find out when I go to Austin in May!

Edited by SteveG - February 15 2015 at 14:41
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 13:43
The Elevators last ride:
Bull of the Woods
Bull of the Woods 1968. Charly Records (U.K.) 2 CD Deluxe Edition.

After the failure of Easter Everywhere to chart, lyricist and jug player lost interest in the group and drifted into another form of the hippie scene. Rocky Erickson remained with guitarist Stacy Sutherland, bassist Ronnie Leatherman and drummer Dan Thomas before suffering his first serious mental breakdown just at he beginning of recording what would be their last album.

With Roky unable to contribute vocals, the band was reduced to a virtual three piece with Sutherland taking over vocal duties as well as wring both the songs lyrics and music as well.

The result was a new Blues Rock sound for the band that was quite removed musically and lyrically from the reserved esoteric songs that made up the band's previous album Easter Everywhere. This move confused the few followers that the group had left as Erickson's vocals were only present on three songs in addition to obvious the change in the band's sound.

Ironically, Bull Of The Woods, has come be reexamined in recent years due to interest in modern Blues rock indie bands like the Black Keys. Amazing!

Bull of The Woods would be Elevators final album due a drug bust and two year conviction given to Sutherland after the albums release. Sadly, Sutherland would be accidently killed by his girlfriend with a handgun during an argument in 1978, which put constant reunion rumors to rest until the announcement for the remaining members to reunite in 2015.

Bull of the Woods is far from psychedelic rock but it does show what an excellent guitarist Sutherland became. Particularly in a blistering Electric Blues style that he seems to have been born to play.

Edited by SteveG - February 15 2015 at 13:44
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 14:10
The Elevators' surrogate band:
 Power Plant
Power Plant by The Golden Dawn 1968.

Recorded at almost the same time as the Elevators' classic The Psychedelic Sounds Of The 13th Floor Elevators, the Golden Dawns debut album was held up for release by International Artists Records until 1968 for reasons that were never really clear. With a vocalist that sounded remarkably like Roky Erickson, the band had a harder rock sound combined with their own brand of psychedelic rock that also employed psych styled studio trickery like backwards guitar leads, tape loops and an almost bizarre overuse of phasing in order to render the vocals with an near 3D effect. This extreme uss of phasing also resulted in a very shrill vocal sound at times.

But with an album titled Power Plant that featured a cover drawing of cannabis sprouting from a field of "magic' mushrooms, I suppose the producer thought this effect would only enhance the listener's altered state of mind.

The album was unjustly criticized as an Elevators rip off but it was actually more akin to Badfinger's close sound to the Beatles. Close but not quite. A great psychedelic garage rock album, IMHO.

For a better overview, I present this quote from Wikipedia:

The Golden Dawn are an American psychedelic rock band formed in Austin, Texas, in 1966. The band released one album, titled Power Plant,[1] before breaking up soon after the album's release in 1968. The record company, the infamous International Artists label out of Houston, had made a decision that seems to have "shafted" the career of the vibrant Golden Dawn. This is what happened: a few months after the release of the 13th Floor Elevators' "Psychedelic Sounds" debut, the Dawn had finished Power Plant in mid-1967 and were ready to let it fly; but, by that time, the Elevators were beginning to record their second album, Easter Everywhere, which the record company management thought, for unknown reasons, should come out first, much to the dismay of George Kinney (voc, guitar), Tom Ramsey (lead guitar), Jimmy Bird (rhythm guitar), Bill Hallmark (bass), and Bobby Rector (drums)--collectively, The Golden Dawn. When Power Plant was finally released in 1968, it was largely panned as the work of an Elevators knock-off band and was unjustly snubbed in a way that was big enough to discourage the development of the band. Through the years, Power Plant climbed in "cult" status to the point where recognition of its music drew out George Kinney once again to reform the band in 2002 and perform live all over the States. The Golden Dawn has performed at Austin Psych Fest three times to date, in 2009, 2012 and 2014.

George Kinney has also been active in solo projects. He released a CD, After The Fall, under his own name in 2001. He wrote a novel, The Bandit King, published by Xlibris Press, that is available online. The adventure/fantasy story is set in modern-day Mexico and involves "psychedelic" concepts and ideas.

Edited by SteveG - February 18 2015 at 14:30
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 15:02
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Great news! It seems that they were appearing back on the radar for the last 4-5 years and I guess there's enough interest to see them perform. I wonder if Tommy Hall still hides acid in his jug? LOL

Guess I'll find out when I go to Austin in May!

Didn't Tommy Hall become a somewhat high-ranking member of the US Libertarian Party or something similar? They are the political party most likely to include LSD legalization in their program, after all...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 15:13
^ This is the first time I've heard this. But this America, where ultra talented musicians like Sonny Bono (LOL)become congressmen, so anything is possible.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 15:14

It is in the name, after all.

Funkadelic of course in the first place bring up thoughts of their kingly status in the funk canon, and it is well recognised that they, throughout their whole career, deftly blended funk, rock, and even soul. Less remembered, though, is that the name didn't just signify their massive funkiness, but that they did in fact start out as a somewhat psychedelic band, and their whole run from Funkadelic to Cosmic Slop had very noticeable psych qualities, if to varying degrees and mainly from the soul side of their sound a la Sly and The Family Stone before There's A Riot Goin' On.

But still, their whole canon, along with that of sister act Parliament, can be considered pretty trippy, and is as much such as it is just plain danceable, being so funky and all.

Everything up to and including One Nation Under A Groove is highly recommended, though, again, the out-and-out psychedelia vanished past Cosmic Slop.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 15:16
^Cool! Thumbs Up
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 15:19

It is in the name, after all.

Funkadelic of course in the first place bring up thoughts of their kingly status in the funk canon, and it is well recognised that they, throughout their whole career, deftly blended funk, rock, and even soul. Less remembered, though, is that the name didn't just signify their massive funkiness, but that they did in fact start out as a somewhat psychedelic band, and their whole run from Funkadelic to Cosmic Slop had very noticeable psych qualities, if to varying degrees and mainly from the soul side of their sound a la Sly and The Family Stone before There's A Riot Goin' On.

But still, their whole canon, along with that of sister act Parliament, can be considered pretty trippy, and is as much such as it is just plain danceable, being so funky and all.

Everything up to and including One Nation Under A Groove is highly recommended, though, again, the out-and-out psychedelia vanished past Cosmic Slop.

I've always preferred War. The albums The World Is a Ghetto through Why Can't We Be Friends are stellar. Plus, Lee Oskar invented the greatest blues harps known to modern-day man.

Edited by The Dark Elf - February 15 2015 at 15:19
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 15:22
^ Hey, no funky diet is complete without War. Thumbs Up
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 15:22
^War is cool. But George Clinton is on record that he mixed Free Your Mind while blitzed on acid! War is cool, but not that cool! LOL
Great album though!

Edited by SteveG - February 15 2015 at 15:25
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 25>