Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 164165166167168 312>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 08:38
You know, Sam, it's really just complete luck. This lot were from ONE single lowly vendor. This was after wandering around the fair in a daze (having come directly from nightshift so I was feeling putrid and half-asleep!) for 90 minutes (paying an early-bird price to go in early at 7:30 am before the Fair opened properly at 9am) getting pissed off with findng just a blur of endless copies of Kylie Minogue, Johnny Farnham and AC/DC LP's, plus endless copies of the `Young Einstein' soundtrack (don't ask - but I'm sure Tom will know exactly what it is! . He opened his stall right on 9am, and by luck I was there in front of his desk at the time.

But that's kind of the life of the prog-related collector - you have to make the time to sift through endless common-as-dirt dross to find even that one single little gem - always worth it though!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 08:45
Oh, and why the hell not, here's that soundtrack I was talking about!

This was a VERY popular movie down here in Australia at the time...Apparently our country is full of idiots!
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 09:16
^^ Here it's mostly Pop compilations, French Pop stars, awful folk music, African music... and the bad José Cid Sick There are few that sell Prog but it's only the more popular ones. I never went to the bigger fairs though, I'm sure I would find much better albums there.
I did find Krakatau's debut on a record store and they are very much local to you Tongue

^ WTF!? LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 09:21
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ WTF!? LOL
Exactly.

We let that happen.

Actually, I really want to watch it again now! I have vague memories of my Dad taking my sister and I to see it, and him angrily walking out half-way through saying `This is the stupidest thing I've ever seen!'
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 09:46
^ It's better to leave some things in the past LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 09:54
I don't know, now looking at it I'm thinking "In 1905 he discovered realitivity, in 1906 he invented rock & roll" might just be the greatest movie tagline of all time!

For a time, that movie was just as associated with Australia overseas as Crocodile Dundee, would you have at least heard of that one, Sam?   

I nearly fell over in the Australian episode of the Simpsons where this appeared in a scene where it was being explained about Australia's brief raised profile around the world:

To which Lisa replies `I know those words, but that sentence doesn't make any sense..."!

I wonder whatever happened to that guy?!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 09:57
Yahoo Serious. What a tool. This movie came out, what, late-80's, a period when I was off my face most of the time. I remember the film and all the fuss around it, though I don't even think I've ever seen it !! But, as Sam says, some things are better left in the past.........
My sort of film was Fast Times At Ridgemont High (with a hilarious Sean Penn).

Edited by Tom Ozric - April 18 2016 at 10:01
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 10:06
I don't know, Tom, that might have been the ideal state to watch it, probably would have made all the sense in the world then! I don't remember it being any good, just that it was knd of silly and quirky and there'd never been anything like it. I seem to recall it was briefly popular for about a month!

Looks like you missed out on something special - "The movie portrayed Albert Einstein as a young farmer in Tasmania who derives the formula E=mc2 while trying to discover a means of creating beer bubbles, splitting the lager atom in the process. After leaving the apple isle for Sydney on the mainland to patent his discovery, he goes on to develop rock music and surfing, romances Marie Curie, and saves Paris from an atomic bomb"!   

Ha, according to wikipedia "In August 2000, Yahoo Serious tried to sue the search engine Yahoo! for trademark infringement. The case was thrown out because Serious could not prove that he sells products or services under the name "Yahoo" and therefore could not prove that he suffered harm or confusion due to the search engine."
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 10:11
^ Like I said, 'tool'. And I'm sure now I've never seen it. I'd be scared for life.........aaah, that's scarred .....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 10:16
Heh...he might just be the smartest man alive, a misunderstood genius!

Anyway, back to topic, how about those record things, eh?!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 10:21
^ Dude, I think The Oblivion Particle is better than Brief Nocturnes........just lovin' it.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 10:26
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

For a time, that movie was just as associated with Australia overseas as Crocodile Dundee, would you have at least heard of that one, Sam?   
I saw one of these on TV once... that Simpsons episode too Tongue
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 10:28
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Dude, I think The Oblivion Particle is better than Brief Nocturnes........just lovin' it.

Meh, yawn! I find it seriously lacking in memorable tunes, something all the previous Spock's albums (with Morse, the D'Virgilio-fronted ones and the previous Leonard one) at least had. The playing (of course) kicks all kinds of ass though.

Honestly, I thought the recent second Flying Colours album called `Second Nature' (which has Morse on keyboards and backing vocals and Mike Portnoy on drums) wipes the floor with it (did Greg get that one in stock on LP for you?).
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 10:31

I saw one of these on TV once... that Simpsons episode too Tongue

Do you know how many Aussies that episode outraged?! It's absurd, that episode was a cracker, so funny! Many people here found it hugely mocking, but seriously, pretty much EVERY EPISODE takes the piss out of the States! People needed to lighten up and realise the joke was that it was playing up all our stereotypes and the perception of Australia around the world....as all the epsidoes do when they visit a different country!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 10:32
^ Greg didn't have any Flying Colours, nor did Beggs' Mute God's album come through. Maybe on his next update.....
Some of those Oblivion Particle songs have stuck with me - only spun it thrice.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 10:40
You should get that live DVD `Live at Sea' from Spock's, you get both Ted and Neal performing parts of the show, and the band is roaring on it.

I only picked up the `Flying Colours' one on the weekend, but it's proven to be very impressive. Proggier than the debut, but all the tracks are catchy and very melodic, and the playing is top-notch as well. Honestly, I think Morse sounds better on it than his last several releases, perhaps because he's not front and center so can take it easy in comparison. Good vocals too, and thankfully not as `ladykiller posturing' as I dreaded they would be!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 10:59

Do you know how many Aussies that episode outraged?! It's absurd, that episode was a cracker, so funny! Many people here found it hugely mocking, but seriously, pretty much EVERY EPISODE takes the piss out of the States! People needed to lighten up and realise the joke was that it was playing up all our stereotypes and the perception of Australia around the world....as all the epsidoes do when they visit a different country!
I can imagine, many Brazilians were outraged by the episode in Brazil and it's probably not far from reality. Family Guy had two Portuguese characters, although I was outraged because they were voiced by Brazilians and not by the content Tongue

Back to music, I have that Flying Colours album on CD and it's really good Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 11:05

I have that Flying Colours album on CD and it's really good Thumbs Up

Yep, it was the only CD I picked up at that Fair, hence the reason I didn't post a picture on this thread!

Forgot to reply to you earlier, most of those other vinyl albums I posted pictures of I haven't listened to yet, but wil be doing so in the next day or two.

I think my local shop also has another Robert Schroeder LP I'm planning to go and snap up as well.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 12:47
^ I think no one would mind a CD in the middle of so many LP's Tongue

Two more LP's I bought last month (I've been going through them slowly, otherwise I'd want more vinyl right away LOL):

The only Camel album I didn't have between the debut and "Nude". The album is nice (except for the last track which I skipped) and Sinclair's bass work is the best thing on it, which is enhanced on this German pressing Wink

US pressing of Renaissance's classic live album. The first disc has sides 1/4 and the second 2/3 and since I didn't have any of these before I played it in the wrong order LOL 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 12:52
Are all the copies of the Renaissance album incorrectly made that way, Sam? For some reason I seem to think I have two copies of this on vinyl, not sure if either of them are US pressings, though.

Hmm, might give that Camel album a spin tonight. Never a favourite album of theirs for me, in fact I barely seem to ever make through the whole thing. I always thought that `Down on the Farm' (I think that's what it's called off the top of my head) sounded absurd on it! Absurd on a Camel album, but it would have been right at home on a Caravan album!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 164165166167168 312>