Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2014 Picks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 09:01
What I like about the people throwing 5 stars at almost every album they review is their passion, it's infectious. They obviously are very much into Prog and in a way i'm jealous. But I also figure their 4 star reviews are like my 3 star reviews and so on. I think about 5% of my reviews get the 5 star treatment, I always have to think about pulling the trigger when it comes to 5 stars. That's just me though, I guess we all sort of have our own evaluation process within the PA guidlines. It's not a perfect system and never will be I suppose.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 10:10
I handed out 5 stars 7 times in 47 reviews, and for only for 1 of them I reconsidered and changed it to 4 recently. It will be a while until I hand out another one, based on what is in my list of recent plays - although one album (review pending) is bordering on the edge...
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 19:48
Originally posted by Kazza3 Kazza3 wrote:

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Usually there's only one album every year that I'd award 5-stars. That album isn't even always prog.

Agreed, I don't actually rate and review much here but I don't take 'masterpiece' lightly. To Be Kind qualifies for me this year, though I'm a bit tentative about it (the new Ambrose Akinmusire tops it, but it's not on prog). Last year nothing came close to masterpiece, and for me that would be the case with many years. If people really see a dozen albums every year as masterpieces, then I envy them, haha.
Me too. LOL

Last year, Deafheaven's Sunbather earned a 5-star rating from me, but not everybody loved that album. I think aging is important too. There may be albums that rise to the top for me as they gain a few years on them.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2015 at 18:20
2014 is over! I'll hear and review many albums from 2014 well into 2015, but as of today, here is my list of favorites from 2014:

1. SYD ARTHUR Sound Mirror

2. KANT FREUD KAFKA No tengas miedo

3. SEVEN IMPALE City of the Sun

4. HUMANA PROG Flori, Frutti, Farfalle

5. PINGVINORKESTERN Push

6. ANTOINE FAFARD Ad Perpetuum

7. MOTORPSYCHO Behind the Sun

8. UT GRET Ancestor's Tale

9. AALTO Ikaro

10. KAYO DOT Coffins on Io

Honorable Mentions:

ELECTRIC ORANGE Volume 10

MAGIC BUS Transmission from Sogmore's Graden

PHI Now the Waves of Sound Remain

DISTORTED HARMONY Chain Reaction

HOMÍNIDO Estirpe Lítica

NOMADS OF HOPE Breaking the circles for a while

DREAM THE ELECTRIC SLEEP Heretics

FREDDEGREDDE Brighter Skies

ATOMIC APE Swarm

CORVUS STONE II

AGORŔ Ichinen

IAMTHEMORNING Belighted

SUNN O))) and ULVER Terrestrials

ALEX CARPANI 4 Destinies

MARGIN Teatime

TAYLOR WATSON (A)Synchronous)

HELIOPOLIS City of the Sun

P.S. IMHO, the BEST album I've heard from 2014 is ANTOINE FAFARD's Ad Perpetuum. 
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
adace1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2015 at 18:49
1. Opeth - Pale Communion
2. Devin Townsend - Sky Blue
3. Mastodon - Once More Round the Sun
4. Scar Symmetry - The Singularity Phase I
5. Anathema - Distant Satellites
6. Alcest - Shelter
7. Epica - The Quantum Enigma
8. Agalloch - The Serpent and the Sphere
9. Threshold - For the Journey
10. Accept - Blind Rage

Honorable mentions:
Animals as Leaders - The Joy of Motion
Pallearer - Foundations of Burden
Saor - Aura
Yob - Clearing the Path to Ascend
Blues Pills - Blues Pills
Woods of Desolation - As the Stars
The Contortionist - Language
Amaranthe - Massive Addictive
Musk Ox - Woodfall
Insomnium - Shadows of the Dying Sun
Triptykon - Melana Chasmata 
Lantlos - Melting Sun
Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon
The Oath - The Oath
Hammock - The Sleepover Series Vol. 2
Bloodbath - Grand Morbid Funeral
Revocation - Deathless
Horrendous - Ecdysis

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 15:21
Quick shout-out to the ever changing and evolving Franco Battiato and his newest project:
Got this for Christmas and am only just now diving into it. I think I can safely say that it will end up somewhere on my list. It's literally that good. 
People who know his early prog releases will probably be looking for the rock part of the equation, but this album has more to do with his adoration of electronics and floating airy synthesisers. You may even call it a progressive electronic album. Either way, it is an absolutely gorgeous release. 

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 17:35
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Quick shout-out to the ever changing and evolving Franco Battiato and his newest project:
Got this for Christmas and am only just now diving into it. I think I can safely say that it will end up somewhere on my list. It's literally that good. 
People who know his early prog releases will probably be looking for the rock part of the equation, but this album has more to do with his adoration of electronics and floating airy synthesisers. You may even call it a progressive electronic album. Either way, it is an absolutely gorgeous release. 

The album artwork alone screams fun with electronics.
Would never perceive any rock coming out if that thing.
Glad it's a hit with you. Look forward to seeing your finalized list.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 23:05
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

What I like about the people throwing 5 stars at almost every album they review is their passion, it's infectious. They obviously are very much into Prog and in a way i'm jealous. But I also figure their 4 star reviews are like my 3 star reviews and so on. I think about 5% of my reviews get the 5 star treatment, I always have to think about pulling the trigger when it comes to 5 stars. That's just me though, I guess we all sort of have our own evaluation process within the PA guidlines. It's not a perfect system and never will be I suppose.
I actually love what you said, Mellotron Storm,
That's fair and a very good point too. Some people when they like something, they get excited, they feel an urge to share, makes them happy and thrilled and this clearly is infectious, not all have this in us, while others are just more down toned and this is not a negative either. Smile
I for instance, have no weight on my shoulders to listen and review moozik, especially albums I do not particularly enjoy, thus besides the bands I love, I easily give 5 stars to other bands too who also happen to have released albums in that same year. I am impulsive, not calculative at all hahahaha but I know what I love and enjoy thus those I like I'll have no pros and cons in giving them 5 stars even bands I never heard before, 5 stars for the wonderful listening experience they gave me is dismal really considering I truly had the most prolific time and joy while listening to them. This is priceless and so much fun!
Big hug to you,Hug 
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 23:30
That's me too, John.  My attempt to meet the site's criteria of "masterpiece" is that about 5% of all releases should get 5 stars.  To me the word masterpiece implies it is a rare thing, and I want it to actually mean something special.  

People who give every other album 5 stars...bless em, but I pretty much have to ignore their ratings as a consumer.   People forget 3 stars is GOOD....they act like a 3-star rating is an insult.  

tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 23:42
Well I give a lot of 4 and 5 star reviews simply because I purchase what I like and review accordingly. If I would receive a boat load of unsolicited albums from every genre, I would be a hell of a lot more critical but I am not a critic , just a fan who enjoys extolling the virtues of what I truly enjoy. My ratings have nothing to do with "masterpiece" or "good", it has to do with how much delight I experience in the music, the lyrics , the sound or the mood. I occasionally land on a dud but very very rarely as I stick to what pleases my senses. 

Edited by tszirmay - January 03 2015 at 23:43
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 23:49
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

That's me too, John.  My attempt to meet the site's criteria of "masterpiece" is that about 5% of all releases should get 5 stars.  To me the word masterpiece implies it is a rare thing, and I want it to actually mean something special.  

People who give every other album 5 stars...bless em, but I pretty much have to ignore their ratings as a consumer.   People forget 3 stars is GOOD....they act like a 3-star rating is an insult.  
3 star is not an insult at all, Finnforest Smile that's an ok yay not great but a positive! I ALSO RESPECT 2 STAR REVIEWS, however some of these reviews unfortunately are overshadowed by bad written 2 stars negative generic reviews not describing anything about the album and has to why their conclusion thus an insult to any band or other reviewers to be honest. I do believe a reviewer has the moral rule to at least describe in an articulate manner how an album sounds to him even if it may be negative, but some of these are written so poorly that it reflects more on the reviewer (and others) than the band in stake to be honest.
Hugs xxxx
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2015 at 23:57
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Well I give a lot of 4 and 5 star reviews simply because I purchase what I like and review accordingly. If I would receive a boat load of unsolicited albums from every genre, I would be a hell of a lot more critical but I am not a critic , just a fan who enjoys extolling the virtues of what I truly enjoy. My ratings have nothing to do with "masterpiece" or "good", it has to do with how much delight I experience in the music, the lyrics , the sound or the mood. I occasionally land on a dud but very very rarely as I stick to what pleases my senses. 
hahahaha Thomas, there is not one single person here that can top your reviews here, you take us on the most wonderful joy ride! a dream, fantastic and insightful fun reading, I feel it, we all do while reading them, fantastic fun reading your reviews really, also another person that comes to mind who I truly enjoy reading because it's also a fantastic pleasure is AtomCrimsonRush aka Scotty :) xxxxx
Not only your articulate skills are amazing but your imagination is so incredible, I lose myself and feel dragged into that world of any review you write, I feel myself right there in what you say or describe. Genius really! Clap 
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 00:02
Reviews alone, any band would be so lucky to get one from you, Thomas. What you write is not just a review, it's a fantastic piece of artistic imaginative and articulate work, a wonderful story a true dream! This is very rare indeed! You are quite unique and this is a fact!  Heart
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 00:07
I think Lennon, Hendrix and Janis Joplin would laugh at all this silliness LOL of trying to take this all too serious really!
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 00:09
Thomas, unlike most to be honest (no matter the star ratings) your reviews do make people want to buy albums, you are unique, infectious and magic!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 00:14
Thomas, that's a legit reason for your always high ratings....my own have went up as well since I have less time, and usually only writing about the albums I really like, as opposed to writing about everything in sight. 

Still, I think any reviewer, but weighted collabs especially, need to read the site guidelines and try their best to rate per the spirit of the definitions.  Yeah we all bring our own understanding to the table, I'm just saying that we should try our best to follow what the guidelines intend--for the benefit of users.  And I believe that 5-star bugger is supposed to be a pretty rare gem.  Most "great albums" would fall under the 4 stars "excellent". 

And yeah, your reviews do rock. Smile

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 00:19
If there is one thing I dislike a lot, it's negativity, the need to be pompous/presumptuous by dictating or enforce one's opinion in what they like or believe what music should be.  This is silly and I do not understand why one would do that. Wink
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 00:25
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Thomas, that's a legit reason for your always high ratings....my own have went up as well since I have less time, and usually only writing about the albums I really like, as opposed to writing about everything in sight. 

Still, I think any reviewer, but weighted collabs especially, need to read the site guidelines and try their best to rate per the spirit of the definitions.  Yeah we all bring our own understanding to the table, I'm just saying that we should try our best to follow what the guidelines intend--for the benefit of users.  And I believe that 5-star bugger is supposed to be a pretty rare gem.  Most "great albums" would fall under the 4 stars "excellent". 

And yeah, your reviews do rock. Smile
Bands today cannot compete with that 70's fabulous prog era, i.e. Genesis inc. Gabriel for the first time appearing in costume with a red dress and a fox ontop of his head, in appearance, but it's all been done before, music experimentation too. However a band should be judged by their current album in a review not history/comparison or if they have paid their dues by years. To be honest I believe many of the greats if they released their previous hit albums today (new, never heard before) they too would be killed by negativity.   
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 00:26
People have a romantic view if the 70's that's hard to compete with.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 00:26
Certainly meant no offense.  Just an opinion in support of John's earlier comment.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819>