Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews reporting thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 180181182183184 282>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2012 at 13:52
Just goes to show that some people are different than others. 
Damn!! Clear the front-page immediately!!!
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2012 at 03:22
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Just goes to show that some people are different than others. 
Damn!! Clear the front-page immediately!!!

It was a terrible attack though i the review

I PMd him to lighten up with attacking reviewers.
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2012 at 14:17
This is a rock music history lecture, not a review:

The Silent Sun / Thats Me by GENESIS album cover Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, 1968
3.00 | 27 ratings

BUY
The Silent Sun / That's Me
Genesis Symphonic Prog

Review by RINLEW

4 stars THE SILENT SUN and THAT'S ME were written in 1967.

This year was a crucial turning point in the sixties. Before 1967 rock was simpler, naive, accessible, radio and dance oriented.... but in 1967 (thanks to the Beatles/George Martin's Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band) rock began to incorporate other 'sounds' like, for instance, music from India, jazz, folk, etc.... but primarily: classical music. Different styles were absorbed and thrown into an imaginary blender: the end result was a new type of rock that became known as psychedelic rock.

British psychedelia toyed with orchestras, sometimes using very big ones to create very little sounds. The new generation of groups messed with noises, sound effects, voices, reversed tapes, long improvised guitar solos, reversed guitar solos, free form music, reverberation, delays and a multitude of other stereo effects. The recording studio became an instrument itself. The sound of the electric guitars was distorted with feedback and with the (then) recently created fuzz boxes. Before 1967 the instruments used by the British invasion bands were guitars, bass and drums. After 1967 the use of unusual instrumentation became the norm: sitar, tabla (plus other Indian instruments), electric organ, violin, violoncello, flute, harpsichord, oboe, harp, strings, brass, etc.... Musicians were fuelled by LSD, so their music had to sound like a drug experience too.

Suddenly classical music (once the cheesy sound of our parents - the (then) mocked older generation) was now hip and an integral part of UK's new rock. The Beatles had already given the signal in 1965 with their hit 'Yesterday': instead of guitars, there was a string quartet playing the classical flavored arrangement written by George Martin. Even the dirty Rolling Stones joined with a similar treatment for 'As Tears Go By'.

Before 1967 rock was the cry from the streets. Now a lot of middle-class kids who had studied in good schools, who had studied music and knew the classics were able to apply them to rock and roll. In 1967 the standards of British rock were raised, the frontiers were broaden. British psychedelia gave birth to bands led by kids who were highly trained and were able to play very well their instruments: Keith Emerson (The Nice ' later ELP), Hugh Banton (Van Der Graaf), Tony Banks and Anthony Phillips (Genesis), Robert Fripp (Giles, Giles & Fripp - later King Crimson), Rick Wakeman, etc.... Groups which had classical or avant-garde leanings appeared (Moody Blues, Procol Harum, Pink Floyd, amongst others).

On the other side of the Atlantic, USA was also immersed in psychedelia, but their hippie- acid-rock was more crude and raw than its English counterpart: each country tended to lean towards its roots. In the case of American rock, it was Blues or Country. But these 2 styles were not a tradition in UK, so while American rock leaned towards them, English rock leaned towards classical music. It was their past, their European musical origin.

In 1967 it seemed that rock had reached its highest creative point.... But no: gradually it continued to evolve and within a year or two it had morphed into an even more complex type of music, which came to be known as Progressive Rock. But its seeds were sown in 1967.

Send comments to RINLEW | Report this review (#730086)
Posted Monday, April 16, 2012, 09:20 EST | Review Permalink | Submit a review for this album

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2012 at 08:39
Well written but you Are right!

Nothing in there mentions the music at all.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2012 at 12:14

Might be the time to kill ratings only, if person(s) keep screwing the system, not as likely anyone could write 100's of fake reviews

Edited by tamijo - April 18 2012 at 12:16
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2012 at 12:22
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

Perhaps only albums with a certain number of reviews (maybe even Reviewer/Collab reviews to avoid that kind of spam) should be considered for that list. I don't know if that's possible, but it seems like that would help this sort of thing.

I agree but how do you police every case? This one is obvious of course but there must be others.

Its annoying cos the same guy might try it again and wreck our system

number of reviews wont stop this, he might as well 1* rate great stuff.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2012 at 12:24
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Might be the time to kill ratings only, if person(s) keep screwing the system, not as likely anyone could write 100's of fake reviews

If they come up with a program/software to do that, then we're really in trouble. Unhappy

Edited by HolyMoly - April 18 2012 at 12:25
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2012 at 13:10
I'm for killing ratings only.

And reviews must be 100 words or more to count.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2012 at 13:21
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

I'm with you Jay, but then again we'd be killing a lot of the enjoyment for people who don't speak English. There are many who use PA like a recommendation-vehicle if you will, where ratings convey preference even more so than count as part of the big "tournament". In the end I believe we would be loosing a lot of folks due to this, just because we want to weed out the odd idiot.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2012 at 13:36

I'm with you Jay, but then again we'd be killing a lot of the enjoyment for people who don't speak English. There are many who use PA like a recommendation-vehicle if you will, where ratings convey preference even more so than count as part of the big "tournament". In the end I believe we would be loosing a lot of folks due to this, just because we want to weed out the odd idiot.

Instead of killing ratings-only -- which I have found useful for people by don't enjoy writing, or don't find the time to write reviews -- why not either not have ratings-only factor into the ranking algorithm, or, and this would be simple, not give them any weight at all so that they don't affect the average album rating at all.

I know that when i have rated, I haven't done it to affect change on the average rating, instead it has been a means to list many albums that I care about and if people check my profile, then that can teel them a lot about what sort of music I like, and I do the same with others (especially when someone is looking for recommendations to give me a better idea of what they like).  Not everybody care about PA reviews who rates,, and not everybody who rates or reviews, I'm sure, really cares about ranking.

Edited by Logan - April 18 2012 at 13:40
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2012 at 13:39
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Instead of killing ratings-only -- which I have found useful for people by don't enjoy writing, or don't find the time to write reviews -- why not either not have ratings-only factor into the ranking algorithm, or, and this would be simple, not give them any weight at all so that they don't affect the average album rating at all.

That would be rather pointless? If people like to look at the overall rating of an album before choosing whether to buy, wouldn't taking out ratings only skew the result as well?
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2012 at 13:43
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

That would be rather pointless? If people like to look at the overall rating of an album before choosing whether to buy, wouldn't taking out ratings only skew the result as well?

It would skew the result more towards ratings with reviews -- considering the way things are weighted already, it already is skewed towards ones with reviews.  I think it's better than doing away with ratings-only.

EDIT: I'm not sure if I get your point, actually. I'm not saying that we should do áway with ratings, just suggesting that I think it would be better not to have "ratings-only" factor into the ranking or average rating than get rid of ratings-only.  If you understood me, I don't understand why you're saying it's pointless.

Edited by Logan - April 18 2012 at 13:49
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2012 at 13:49

Logan's idea is interesting in that it allows me to say "I like Liquid Eternity's reviews. I wonder what he thinks about Moonmadness." Now he might not have had time to fully review it, but I can compare a 3 star rating of his and know he wasn't impressed compared to Nursery Cryme even if that rating only didn't effect Moonmadness' overall score.

I find this process extremely helpful. I know the other reviewers' tastes by now, and if guys I know share my taste rave about something, I'm more likely to trust that than the overall rating. But for newbies, the overall rating probably is much more important.

I think I like this idea.

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2012 at 13:58
I think you're onto something Greg, and it wouldn't eliminate the fun for the peeps who only speak Swahili.

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2012 at 14:55
Greg's idea is a smashing idea... Not only would it put pay to Senhor Natal and his silly games it would also stop the annual fanboi ratings manipulations of new releases we have to endure. We could still have a "rating-only" chart to keep them amused.

I also think it would change the top 20 quite a bit - we could see some real Prog in the chart for a change.Wink
What?
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2012 at 17:09
I like Greg's idea too. The ratings-only could be used as input for the site software to give me recommendations and various sorts of notifications, like on other websites.

Also, other languages are not allowed, so I'll deal with that Spanish review a bit later, thanks for reporting.

Edited by harmonium.ro - April 18 2012 at 17:09
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2012 at 12:28

It would skew the result more towards ratings with reviews -- considering the way things are weighted already, it already is skewed towards ones with reviews.  I think it's better than doing away with ratings-only.

EDIT: I'm not sure if I get your point, actually. I'm not saying that we should do áway with ratings, just suggesting that I think it would be better not to have "ratings-only" factor into the ranking or average rating than get rid of ratings-only.  If you understood me, I don't understand why you're saying it's pointless.

Yes I did understand you Greg. The point I was making was that people do look at the overall rating of an album they are considering buying (I don't, but people do, as we know from feedback on the forum), and there are alumni of the site who don't often review, but add ratings - Snow Dog comes to mind, and I regard his rating opinion as being as good, if not better, than many reviews I see on the site.

I think you either get rid of ratings only, or hope M@X can come up with a solution to the ridiculous manipulations we are seeing. The point I am making is I cannot see the point of someone rating an album if it is not going to count towards an overall "score".

Having said all that, I am not really bothered either way, and will be more than happy to go along with the majority opinion on the issue.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2012 at 14:23

Yes I did understand you Greg. The point I was making was that people do look at the overall rating of an album they are considering buying (I don't, but people do, as we know from feedback on the forum), and there are alumni of the site who don't often review, but add ratings - Snow Dog comes to mind, and I regard his rating opinion as being as good, if not better, than many reviews I see on the site.

I think you either get rid of ratings only, or hope M@X can come up with a solution to the ridiculous manipulations we are seeing. The point I am making is I cannot see the point of someone rating an album if it is not going to count towards an overall "score".

Having said all that, I am not really bothered either way, and will be more than happy to go along with the majority opinion on the issue.

I'm heading off shortly, so i can't make this as thoughtful or thorough a post as I would like.  As is common with me, I might edit in more thoughts when I can instead of double-posting.

I see.  Sorry for not getting your point, I thought I may have been rather ambiguous in my initial post. 

Indeed, there are many who look at overall rating, and I know about the alumni who prefer to rate.  I've rated more myself than review (though mostly I did ratings over a short period when trying out the quick rating feature and have done little of that since).  I've said elsewhere that I have really valued certain raters who usually, or do, only rate albums with {edit, I meant to say without} reviews.  It's not about the rating opinion being good in an objective manner, so much as it is that it coincides with one's individual tastes.  In terms of if this sis something I might consider getting, I would value a rating by someone who I know has similar tastes to me much more than a rating with review by someone who I know has dissimilar tastes.  Most who are new here won't be familiar enough with the individuals tastes to make that value judgement, but I quickly found ratings by people that seemed to be in-line with my tastes which led me to look at their profiles and look into other music they valued (and rather avoid albums they rated lowly).  I discovered quite a bit that way at one time.  Average ratings I found were not so useful commonly as my tastes are a little unusual commonly.

If you have found that Snow Dog has similar tastes to yours, so his ratings are of value to you, then it can be advantageous to check his profile to see his ratings as a means to discover music.

For me, rating is about sharing my tastes, and perhaps someone who has similar tastes might find the list useful, or I like to think, though I don't ever remember anyone commenting on my ratings, seeing that I've given an album a good rating, that person knowing something about me might want to check it out.

Unless it's an obscurity here or a new add, little rated basically, the weight of a single rating by someone will not have much affect on the ranking or average rating.  It does when a user creates lots of accounts to rate, of course, which is the problem.  And even if one could delete all ratings from one account in bulk, more accounts can crop up from the same person, which creates much more work.  I expect that abusers care more about ranking than most raters do.  Additionally, if people care about ranking and average rating, and can write in English fairly well, they may be more likely to take the time to write a review (could be lots of abuse there, of course, since some might abuse copy and paste to put in reviews -- which has happened before, but could get worse, but many might remain oblivious to quite how the ratings work and not be bothered with the extra "work" to cause trouble).

I'm sure there'd be members who would still like to list what they like and don't like in ratings even if it doesn't affect ranking or average rating.  At the least have it not affect ranking in the category lists.  I would also expect that most others 9especially those who have rated a fair amount), like me, would rather my idea than doing away with ratings-only (I can't prove it).  How would we do it anyway if we were to stop ratings-only?  Disallow it from now on, or delete them all.  The second choice seems unfair to many of those who have rated many albums, and may use it to help list what they have known, and may review in the future.  It would be best to save those lists for such people. I'm sure there'd be a lot more complaints than if  we just decided not to have the ratings factor into the ranking and/or average rating value. If we do away the ability to rate-only in the future while maintaining the older ones, well I don't think that's advantageous to the users either.

I just don't see how the potential benefits to the community/ users would outweigh doing away with all those ratings-only compared to my idea.

Incidentally, I rather wish that albums with few ratings could still have ratings-only that does factor into listing an average rating.

Well, I wrote that very hurriedly despite the length, and there must be numerous mistakes and points I missed expressing.

EDITED: just got back, and corrected a couple of typos near the beginning, and changed one word to the opposite.  Too tired to read through all of my post.  LOL

Edited by Logan - April 19 2012 at 15:33
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2012 at 15:20
I have something, thought i would share and maybe we can think together, and sorry if it was already suggested before. Our goal is to do what ever we can to determine that a certain rater is not a bullsh*ter. If every member here would have to post, let's say 2 or 5 reviews, only then he could use the rating-only, that would get us closer to ensure that person's credibility to ratings. I know some people are not capable of writing a review in english, maybe those people could write their 2 reviews in their own language (or get it translated), but at least everyone will see they are trying to be a part of the ratings. People who just doesn't want to review, well maybe they will have to, if they want to be a part of the rating, it's just 2 reviews to write, that's not a lot.

Maybe we can't kill all the manipulations in 100% but we could at least minimize them that way.
How does it sound for now?
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2012 at 15:28
^^ Thanks Greg. Rushed? No, as thoughtful a post as ever, to my mind.

This is a difficult issue for the site, because we are all agreed that the integrity of the site is clearly damaged when album ratings are manipulated to the point where the overall rating and position on the "chart" becomes farcical. It is utterly beyond me why certain people choose to manipulate like this, I really cannot see even any personal satisfaction to be gained, excepting the sad premise that they are ruining everyone else's enjoyment and interest.

Your idea does have merit, and my comments were not intended to suggest otherwise - I merely played devil's advocate in order to suggest potential problems. As I said, though, I would be more than happy if the majority went along and it was adopted. At the end of the day, we need a solution.

Last thought from me - what does M@X think of all of this? Is he confident of a solution? If not, what would he be happy to see? I know he is enjoying his latest arrival, and I wish him all the best, but I really do feel that he doesn't communicate all that well these days.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 180181182183184 282>