Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews reporting thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 185186187188189 283>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 15:49
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

This is a rock music history lecture, not a review:

The Silent Sun / Thats Me by GENESIS album cover Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, 1968
3.00 | 27 ratings

BUY
The Silent Sun / That's Me
Genesis Symphonic Prog

Review by RINLEW

4 stars THE SILENT SUN and THAT'S ME were written in 1967.

This year was a crucial turning point in the sixties. Before 1967 rock was simpler, naive, accessible, radio and dance oriented.... but in 1967 (thanks to the Beatles/George Martin's Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band) rock began to incorporate other 'sounds' like, for instance, music from India, jazz, folk, etc.... but primarily: classical music. Different styles were absorbed and thrown into an imaginary blender: the end result was a new type of rock that became known as psychedelic rock.

British psychedelia toyed with orchestras, sometimes using very big ones to create very little sounds. The new generation of groups messed with noises, sound effects, voices, reversed tapes, long improvised guitar solos, reversed guitar solos, free form music, reverberation, delays and a multitude of other stereo effects. The recording studio became an instrument itself. The sound of the electric guitars was distorted with feedback and with the (then) recently created fuzz boxes. Before 1967 the instruments used by the British invasion bands were guitars, bass and drums. After 1967 the use of unusual instrumentation became the norm: sitar, tabla (plus other Indian instruments), electric organ, violin, violoncello, flute, harpsichord, oboe, harp, strings, brass, etc.... Musicians were fuelled by LSD, so their music had to sound like a drug experience too.

Suddenly classical music (once the cheesy sound of our parents - the (then) mocked older generation) was now hip and an integral part of UK's new rock. The Beatles had already given the signal in 1965 with their hit 'Yesterday': instead of guitars, there was a string quartet playing the classical flavored arrangement written by George Martin. Even the dirty Rolling Stones joined with a similar treatment for 'As Tears Go By'.

Before 1967 rock was the cry from the streets. Now a lot of middle-class kids who had studied in good schools, who had studied music and knew the classics were able to apply them to rock and roll. In 1967 the standards of British rock were raised, the frontiers were broaden. British psychedelia gave birth to bands led by kids who were highly trained and were able to play very well their instruments: Keith Emerson (The Nice ' later ELP), Hugh Banton (Van Der Graaf), Tony Banks and Anthony Phillips (Genesis), Robert Fripp (Giles, Giles & Fripp - later King Crimson), Rick Wakeman, etc.... Groups which had classical or avant-garde leanings appeared (Moody Blues, Procol Harum, Pink Floyd, amongst others).

On the other side of the Atlantic, USA was also immersed in psychedelia, but their hippie- acid-rock was more crude and raw than its English counterpart: each country tended to lean towards its roots. In the case of American rock, it was Blues or Country. But these 2 styles were not a tradition in UK, so while American rock leaned towards them, English rock leaned towards classical music. It was their past, their European musical origin.

In 1967 it seemed that rock had reached its highest creative point.... But no: gradually it continued to evolve and within a year or two it had morphed into an even more complex type of music, which came to be known as Progressive Rock. But its seeds were sown in 1967.

Send comments to RINLEW | Report this review (#730086)
Posted Monday, April 16, 2012, 09:20 EST | Review Permalink | Submit a review for this album

BUMP!

Another BUMP!
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 15:50
And, what should we do about this one:

S.B.B. 2 &amp; 3 by SBB album cover Boxset/Compilation, 1997
1.54 | 4 ratings

BUY
S.B.B. 2 & 3
SBB Eclectic Prog

Review by kinokijuf

1 stars DO NOT BUY THIS! (or other SBB CDs with the ?scorpion")

This is a pirate release released in cheap cardboard packaging, comprising part of the album ?Nowy horyzont" (the track ?Wolność z nami" had been brutally cut from 20 minutes to only 13) and the whole album ?Pamięć". The record company had rights to release the albums on vinyl, but not on CD. None of the money from it went to the band. Get the 2004 Metal Mind remasters instead. They have original cover art, superb sound quality and bonus tracks that sound like they have been part of the original album. I don't know why Progarchives lists such ?pirates" anyway. Not even for completionists.

Send comments to kinokijuf | Report this review (#752880)
Posted Sunday, May 13, 2012, 12:22 EST | Review Permalink | Submit a review for this album

"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 16:24
Bartek, I saw this too.

From one hand, there are some fair points - why, the hell, epic track has been reduced?
From other hand, I don't think the statement "The record company had rights to release the albums on vinyl, but not on CD" is true. In communist times Muza was one of the few (2 or 3) existing record labels in Poland and I'm not sure they have no rights to reissue their catalogue on CDs. Now (you know it better than I) Muza publishes on CDs works of many Polish artists and, as far as I can tell, there are no protests from artists' side.

It does not look like a review, it's rather a petition against the record label. I don't know what to do with it. Anyway it has a helpful warning for those who decides which edition of "Nowy horizont" album to choose.  
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 16:25
I read that SBB one, and whilst it may not be the best of reviews, it still is useful to some I guess - let's face it, it ain't exactly a review of the music, but more of a warning sticker to those of us, myself included, who want to support this band - and not an old label of theirs who's obviously reaping all of the benefits plus cutting down on the original material without checking with the band. As a fan, I think it fulfils an important role, which is acting like a warning.

Edit: I got ninja'd!

Edited by Guldbamsen - May 13 2012 at 16:31
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
ProgShine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgShine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 23:54
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by ProgShine ProgShine wrote:

Hey Hey guys, not a review really, but today I was about to add the new Circus Maximus album, Nine, but was on the DB already, BUT... there was a one star rating (to an album that will be released in 1st of June).

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1584

But odd enough, on the reviews/rating page: http://www.progarchives.com/album-reviews.asp?id=37643
there's no rate on it. A bug maybe? Can someone take a look please?!
I deleted one or two (well maybe one hundred thousand or so) bogus ratings by a lowlife cheating scum who opened multiple accounts to manipulate the ratings of thousands of albums using the "Instant Rating" feature of the site. Unfortunately the bulk-delete does not update the album stats, so even though the ratings have been deleted the old score still shows on each album page. Max is aware of this but so far has not fixed it. Each affected album will correct itself the next time someone rates it, so you can force a recalculation yourself if you have already rated the album by changing your rating and then changing it back again, but since so many albums are affected I doubt either method will work for all those screwed-up by this lowlife cheating scum.

Oh wow, I wasn't aware that someone could be so fanatic at this point! Even if I received several 'bad answers' about Steven Wilson when I wrote an ironic line on an article I wrote on my wesbite, I never imagined people would go so far.

Really sad that Prog Rock is attracting this kind of people nowadays  Unhappy

Well, now I see what's happening, thank you very much Smile

Edited by ProgShine - May 14 2012 at 18:36
https://progshinerecords.bandcamp.com

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2012 at 22:00
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

It can also be interpreted as in "Hey Anathema, someone decreased your average rating here with a bad rating but I hope you'll enjoy my honest five star, which will also improve on your average." I am tempted to read it like that rather than a retaliation review. 

Yep, apart from the petulant first line it's a fine review - I've edited it and sent a PM
Rikki Nadir View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rikki Nadir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 15:20
http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=7426
Apart from the cover artwork (maybe), Geoff Mann is not involved as a performer (nor Manfred, neither Michael...Mann of course)
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 15:29
That's a strange review, include only one sentence, and from a prog reviewer too .
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 15:37
It's published in 2004...please don't read what I was writing in 2006 when I joined the site....
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 15:38
However Rikki Nadir is right. Maybe a PM to the reviewer ?
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 15:40
Originally posted by Rikki Nadir Rikki Nadir wrote:

Apart from the cover artwork (maybe), Geoff Mann is not involved as a performer (nor Manfred, neither Michael...Mann of course)

It's less than 100 words, so despite being written by a prog reviewer, it will not carry any collab weighting.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 15:45
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by Rikki Nadir Rikki Nadir wrote:

It's less than 100 words, so despite being written by a prog reviewer, it will not carry any collab weighting.
I'm not sure, as the 100 words rule has been implemented in 2007 if I'm not wrong. The review is dated 2004.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 17:06
^ All weightings are retrospective
What?
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rikki Nadir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 01:31
'Another remarkable performance by Geoff MANN, a natural front man,'
Beg your pardon if I am dated, but at least this review is a wrong entry, for "Live and let Live" it would be ok, but no for "Live at the Target " this is an instrumetal record and has no front man at all...I do really love Geoff Mann work. but he do not perform here...
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 01:42
You are right. However below the reviews there are other links. In general when I make a significant mistake I receive a private message. Recently I have written Rossellini instead of Antonioni in my Zabrisky Point review and somebody has made me aware of the mistake in that way. At the end of the review, before the link to "report" there's another link  "send comments". I think the reviewer will be happy to edit it if you message him directly.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rikki Nadir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 01:52
Done, thanx octopus-4.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheProgtologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2012 at 18:03
Can the rating for the new Flower Kings "Banks of Eden" cd be removed please.The album doesn't come out for over 2 weeks.A review popping up at this time could possibly state they are reviewing an advance or promo copy but this is a rating,from a prog reviewer here no less.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2012 at 18:05
^ do you know the release date Jody?
What?
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2012 at 18:57
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

^ do you know the release date Jody?

Their Facebook page says June 18th. Smile
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2012 at 18:59
Okay - we'll need to keep an eye on the page until the 18th - anyone spotting a rogue rating please report it here and we'll delete it.

thanks.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 185186187188189 283>