Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedConsider uniting subgenre teams

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2015 at 00:17
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Sometimes it helps to remember how it was pre-2007.   Though I got here in late '06, I did get the impression of how different the addition process at PA was; Basically just a small group of knowledgeable prog fans who could add artists.   Made sense, and I can see how one might pine for those days.   I can't blame Hugues or Mike for wishing for more of that open trust and freedom, it was probably a happy and more relaxed time.

Time passages......yes halcyon days. And they decorated the generals who fought behind the linesWink
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2015 at 00:51
Only solution for your problem is to organize more teams for the sections as Crossover and Eclectic prog; for example Crossover Team 1, Crossover Team 2, Crossover Team 3 ( if needed).... Same with Eclectic.
mogol View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2015 at 02:37
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

the greatest ill of the genre teams is the one that directly relates to what the site faces today.  Teams voting ( naturally) of course based on whether they fit their sub-genres.. not whether they fit the site.  Today.. even more so than 10 years ago.. it is damn hard to pigeonhole these bands and artists into nice tidy subgenres.. thus even then we had band get ping-proged between teams.. how many artist got lost and never added?

That's one of the main reasons why I started this thread.
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2015 at 02:58
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Only solution for your problem is to organize more teams for the sections as Crossover and Eclectic prog; for example Crossover Team 1, Crossover Team 2, Crossover Team 3 ( if needed).... Same with Eclectic.

There are other teams than those that could use more manpower. But this solution brings up a few additional problems.

1. Manpower. Finding people with the knowledge/understanding needed is a major obstacle.
2. Consensus. Multiple teams within a subgenre will lead to different teams having differences in opinion. With three Crossover teams, on a set number of submissions you will get different opinions. And while such teams obviously wouldn't handle the same cases, differences in opinions would lead to internal friction.

Still, a key issue in any such debate really should be what's most important for the site. That doesn't mean what is most important to the active people running it, but what is most important to the users who stop by and use this site as a resource. They generate traffic, they click the links and they bring the income to financially support this operation.

Whatever problems and solutions that are brought to the table, the focus should always be what's best for them, as without an audience this site will be as dead as a dodo.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2015 at 05:39

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Oh I didn't take the fiefdom word as directed at me, no worries. I just see it differently. One man's "fiefdom" is something I choose to see as a team of passionate music lovers. Difference in perception.

but similar in practice... when you invest 100's of hours of your time.. and often pints of blood to go with it... you do see it as 'yours'. Why did I take great care to leave my genre teams in good hands, like yours, they were my babies, my children. You sure as hell don't leave them with strangers or people you don't trust LOL Fiefs? Yeah... you could call them that.

Guys, I would never suggest there were never differences of opinion....obviously there were differences of opinions and some were more heated than others. But that is a natural part of any working process and it would exist whether there were teams or individuals making decisions. Guarantee you on that one.

part of the point I'm making Jim.. is there were conflicts.. some respectful.. others not so much so. However those and the need for them are a thing of the past. They were part of when this site was evolving, genres were being created and defined... and the genre teams were needed to help build this site and fill the holes. Generally amongst 'classic' era bands.

Are they needed today? I'd say no... the greatest ill of the genre teams is the one that directly relates to what the site faces today. Teams voting ( naturally) of course based on whether they fit their sub-genres.. not whether they fit the site. Today.. even more so than 10 years ago.. it is damn hard to pigeonhole these bands and artists into nice tidy subgenres.. thus even then we had band get ping-proged between teams.. how many artist got lost and never added?

The "teams" format was never the problem. I think it was more ego and personalities that were the problem, and that caused most of those fights. LOL you could say that! Thumbs Up

That is also not a shot directed at anyone, just a description of many of us at times, myself included. oh horsesh*t. You were a saint amongst sinners Clap

Again, just my opinion. I think the genre team concept has served us very well and still does. And I think the current batch of them, from what I see, are doing an awesome job. That's all I'll say unless there is a formal Collab Zone discussion to dissolve the teams.

there won't be... again.. it is human nature to go with the old 'if it ain't broke....' Then again that is why I had some of the conflicts I did.. I was quite aggressive back then in not just looking back (correcting).. but looking forward (improving). Some battles I won.. some I lost. This one I know is a losing battle so I'm not investing the energy to fire the first shot within earshot of the admins or M@X.

Then I'll joust some more...WinkLOL Good thoughts all.

jousting is fun! I did always miss that aspect of the site during my vacation from here. A lot of smart and very intelligent people here. Clap
mmmmhhhh!!!... Stern SmileErmm
I feel a general collective hug happening here LOL
Yup, guilty as charged on most counts, myself EmbarrassedEvil SmileLOL

Sometimes it helps to remember how it was pre-2007.   Though I got here in late '06, I did get the impression of how different the addition process at PA was; Basically just a small group of knowledgeable prog fans who could add artists.   Made sense, and I can see how one might pine for those days.   I can't blame Hugues or Mike for wishing for more of that open trust and freedom, it was probably a happy and more relaxed time.

And yet, these teams were created because we needed more structure... the rate of artiste addition was staggering in those years. I even remember someone posting on other sites about it and having a counter adding/counting 1 up every ten seconds LOL

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2015 at 12:44

the old Art-Rock team man Thumbs Up... now that was the '27 Yankees of S.C.'s LOL

I think the overall scope of work some of the genres needed... Ivan's symphonic death-march, the Art Rock split, the Prog Metal split required large numbers of members which naturally just became teams.

Really great times weren't they.

Edited by micky - June 22 2015 at 12:45
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2015 at 12:49
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

mmmmhhhh!!!... Stern SmileErmm
I feel a general collective hug happening here LOL
Yup, guilty as charged on most counts, myself EmbarrassedEvil SmileLOL

And yet, these teams were created because we needed more structure... the rate of artiste addition was staggering in those years. I even remember someone posting on other sites about it and having a counter adding/counting 1 up every ten seconds LOL

either that or the huge pat on the back we all deserved for what we did. 

No one was more guilty than me... well...other than one particular other ... LOLLOLWink

every ten seconds... pfff...  it was more like 5 seconds. Thumbs Up
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2015 at 06:40
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

There are other teams than those that could use more manpower. But this solution brings up a few additional problems.

1. Manpower. Finding people with the knowledge/understanding needed is a major obstacle.
2. Consensus. Multiple teams within a subgenre will lead to different teams having differences in opinion. With three Crossover teams, on a set number of submissions you will get different opinions. And while such teams obviously wouldn't handle the same cases, differences in opinions would lead to internal friction.

Still, a key issue in any such debate really should be what's most important for the site. That doesn't mean what is most important to the active people running it, but what is most important to the users who stop by and use this site as a resource. They generate traffic, they click the links and they bring the income to financially support this operation.

Whatever problems and solutions that are brought to the table, the focus should always be what's best for them, as without an audience this site will be as dead as a dodo.
Though, I thought that each supposed multiplied Team has full autonomy in decisions, so that consensus would not be necessary. Re manpower... well, PA have a lot of members anyway, and nobody can to convince me that there's not a lot of competent members for that "job", and who wish to do it.
But anyway, what about that every senior member can add the band, and that the Teams check "only" four things:
1) that the band is already tagged as *progressive rock*, *prog rock*, *prog* or with those related tags as symphonic rock, jazz-rock, space rock and so on (among other tags 'cause you'll hardly find a band with one tag), tagged by the band / solo artists themselfs and (or) by a reviewer at some other website.
2) to check that the recorded material is not a progressive trance, progressive hip-hop and by any other genre that has that "progressive" premise but it's not what is considered as PA material as well.
3) the recorded material must be in a "profesional manner"
4) that there is enough of recorded material

Edited by Svetonio - June 23 2015 at 06:43
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2015 at 08:09
One thing I'll point out from the OP, we've had the archive open to any and everyone able to add bands as they see fit. The result, Triumph and other laughably unsuitable bands got added. Not something that should ever be considered again due to the obvious fact that some wag would add Justin Bieber for a laugh and cause a headache for the rest of us.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2015 at 09:03
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

One thing I'll point out from the OP, we've had the archive open to any and everyone able to add bands as they see fit. The result, Triumph and other laughably unsuitable bands got added. Not something that should ever be considered again due to the obvious fact that some wag would add Justin Bieber for a laugh and cause a headache for the rest of us.
I presume that it was a long time ago, and that nobody was checking added material, and nobody deleted those laughably bands. 
My above proposal includes the Teams as a control factor, although not to spend their time on long evals anymore, as with the growing number of new and good prog bands it's even impossible.
Anyway, it is impossible in current way to maintain the main idea of PA as the most powerful prog rock resource on the web, because it has to be a process; I mean, you can not ever stop accepting (almost) all those new prog bands & solo artists in the Archives if you're the most powerful prog rock resourse on the web. Imo.

Edited by Svetonio - June 23 2015 at 09:05
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2015 at 09:17
It is next to impossible to delete a band once it's been added - especially if the albums have reviews. Unfortunately, none of us (not even the Admins) is the owner of this site, and the owner's decisions trump everything else. Moreover, let's not forget that this is the Internet, where trolls, spammers and their ilk hold sway. Anyone who is a blogger knows that every day we have to delete dozens of spam messages from our blogs. Can you imagine what would happen if anyone was able to add artists to the database? I don't even want to think about it.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2015 at 09:54
I think some of micky's thoughts merit serious consideration. Once you divide collabs on the basis of sub genre, we get possessive about our territory. Instead how about a two step process by an united team? First let there be voting on whether a band belongs here. Three yes votes by anybody voting will be enough for acceptance. Then, instead of tossing over the band to different teams for consideration and thereby consuming time, make the voter spell out a possible sub genre. Those unsure of genre may not vote. Stop at five and take stock. The genre getting max votes (at least 2) is the winner! In case of a tie have another vote restricting voters to the two tied options and resolve it. This is just a rough outline, would like to hear your thoughts. I too believe accepting every band that belongs here should be the motto of the website but that is not my remit in the current system. I can only evaluate what comes the way of crossover and then only whether the band is crossover or not. The above could help break the silos and utilize collabs' time more effectively.
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2015 at 09:56
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

...That's why I like your idea to suppress teams... Maybe replaced by people who voluntarily listen and vote (instead of an imposed team) , including the one that makes the suggestion.
I kind of like this idea. Why not make a forum poll about the artist to be included or not and in which genre? And it counts only if a minimum number of votes is exceeded? I have the feeling that many forum members vote quite conscientiously in the polls.
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2015 at 10:10
It would lead to a lot of empty polls. Just like in music sales, the greater majority of artists and their releases will be ignored due to being unknown. A handful of people might keep up with it for a bit, but eventually also they would tire. I'd estimate that it would be 2-3 polls a day on average for the bands suggested as is, at least double that amount just to be able to include all artists marketed towards the prog scene with new albums. That's as far as new artists are concerned. In addition you have all the old artists not yet here that have been hidden by obscurity.
Websites I work with:

My profile on Mixcloud:
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2015 at 11:51
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

It is next to impossible to delete a band once it's been added - especially if the albums have reviews. Unfortunately, none of us (not even the Admins) is the owner of this site, and the owner's decisions trump everything else. Moreover, let's not forget that this is the Internet, where trolls, spammers and their ilk hold sway. Anyone who is a blogger knows that every day we have to delete dozens of spam messages from our blogs. Can you imagine what would happen if anyone was able to add artists to the database? I don't even want to think about it.
As a said earlier, the only way to solve the problem is (imo) to multiply the Teams.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2015 at 16:13

As a said earlier, the only way to solve the problem is (imo) to multiply the Teams.

not to be overly dismissive... but I can say...

fantasy land man...  ignoring the reality of the situation.

people deemed suitable are still actively recruited...  there are not enough people to expand teams. They are consolidating them for lack of potential collabs of suitable knowledge, temperment, or most importantly.. the desire to work for the site. It is real work, no pay, no thanks, no nothing other than for pride of doing the best one can with a difficult job.  I didn't start enjoying the forum for what it was till I retired. 

Edited by micky - June 23 2015 at 16:13
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2015 at 16:34
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I think some of micky's thoughts merit serious consideration. Once you divide collabs on the basis of sub genre, we get possessive about our territory. Instead how about a two step process by an united team? First let there be voting on whether a band belongs here. Three yes votes by anybody voting will be enough for acceptance. Then, instead of tossing over the band to different teams for consideration and thereby consuming time, make the voter spell out a possible sub genre. Those unsure of genre may not vote. Stop at five and take stock. The genre getting max votes (at least 2) is the winner! In case of a tie have another vote restricting voters to the two tied options and resolve it. This is just a rough outline, would like to hear your thoughts. I too believe accepting every band that belongs here should be the motto of the website but that is not my remit in the current system. I can only evaluate what comes the way of crossover and then only whether the band is crossover or not. The above could help break the silos and utilize collabs' time more effectively.

another proposal which has been floated, is to to keep the genres, keep the teams, but allow retired collabs.  Those who have done the work for the site, who have worked for, lead, or even created these subgenres add bands as they find them. I have to admit, I think that is a reasonable improvement to the addition issue.  Speeds up addition, takes out the 'politics' which have always been a dirty little secret of the addition process, and  it keeps the integrety of the teams and the work they do, perhaps even freeing them to really do the dirty work, database maintance and updating artist's information.

It also might re-engage or re-energize some who have checked out of the site, be mentally or completely to get back involved with the site. 
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2015 at 17:53

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

another proposal which has been floated, is to to keep the genres, keep the teams, but allow retired collabs.  Those who have done the work for the site, who have worked for, lead, or even created these subgenres add bands as they find them. I have to admit, I think that is a reasonable improvement to the addition issue.  Speeds up addition, takes out the 'politics' which have always been a dirty little secret of the addition process, and  it keeps the integrety of the teams and the work they do, perhaps even freeing them to really do the dirty work, database maintance and updating artist's information.

It also might re-engage or re-energize some who have checked out of the site, be mentally or completely to get back involved with the site. 

Sound idea, but something that won't ever be allowed to take place I'm afraid. Too many different opinions about what qualifies as what, and at least some of the existing genre teams would be...upset...if someone added something to "their" part of the database.

Something needs to be done though, when there are teams that have had bands for evaluation or even cleared for a couple of years without being able to conclude the cases, a recent example of just that was  bumped in the suggest new artists thread fairly recently.
Websites I work with:

My profile on Mixcloud:
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2015 at 18:25
Originally posted by mogol mogol wrote:

the greatest ill of the genre teams is the one that directly relates to what the site faces today.  Teams voting ( naturally) of course based on whether they fit their sub-genres.. not whether they fit the site.  Today.. even more so than 10 years ago.. it is damn hard to pigeonhole these bands and artists into nice tidy subgenres.. thus even then we had band get ping-proged between teams.. how many artist got lost and never added?

That's one of the main reasons why I started this thread.

Interesting.

I guess I've always misunderstood this then, because when I vote I am voting for both. If I vote 'no', then I mean that I find it unsuitable for the site has a whole, not just the JRF sub. If I think it belongs on the site, but not in JRF, then I vote move (preferably with a suggestion as to where to move it to).

I'll be honest, I thought this was the point of the the move vote (especially after the Site Monitor team dissolved). But I may have misunderstood.

Either way, I'm going to keep voting this way. Tongue
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2015 at 18:32
Smile  You raised good discussion points Olav but I'll leave that alone. Not here at least, not in the general forum.

Edited by micky - June 23 2015 at 19:07
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>