Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How many albums do you recognise/own?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 13:22
I've matched only 34 of the albums here . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 13:23
I have 74.  Our tastes intersect in Italy, 70's classics, SW, and KC.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 14:30
I have 122 of the lps here plus a few more ive had and sold. My vinyl collection is about 3500 lps plus about 800 7 inch. Most are 67-77 Psychedelic and Progressive rock but also Jazz, Folk, classical, some spoken word and comedy lps. But then ive been buying and selling vinyl for 40 years.

Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 14:52
Originally posted by acemachine26 acemachine26 wrote:

Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

That's quite a collage! You and I have 53 albums in common. Some of the more unusual ones are Gracious, Quiet Sun, and Maxophone. You even have a few titles I want to get, and I sure that if you saw my collection I would have some you would be interested in. My total collection probably numbers close to 5000 but not all of those are Prog.
That's great to hear! My total collection including non-prog stuff is around 3000+. I also listen to a lot of jazz/jazz fusion, krautrock, zeuhl, ambient, new wave, Brazilian MPB/tropicalia, classical/minimalism, funk, soul, afrobeat, old school hip-hop etc.

I have long supported eclecticism. I am rather old school myself, so I don't listen to hip-hop but I can enjoy some classic funk & soul; I also listen to all sorts of styles from around the world, particularly Celtic, straight and fusion Jazz, lots of Classical, as well as what is now known as Classic Rock. And Blues. Lots of Blues. As a guitar player, I always appreciate good guitar no matter what the genre.

The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
acemachine26 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acemachine26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 15:54
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

I have 122 of the lps here plus a few more ive had and sold. My vinyl collection is about 3500 lps plus about 800 7 inch. Most are 67-77 Psychedelic and Progressive rock but also Jazz, Folk, classical, some spoken word and comedy lps. But then ive been buying and selling vinyl for 40 years.
Impressive. Do you happen to have any records for sale on discogs or ebay? I'm from the UK too, would be interested in any prog records you have for sale.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acemachine26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 15:56
Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

I've matched only 34 of the albums here . . .
The collage has a lot of older prog from the 70s. Maybe you're more into the newer neo-prog?
scruffydragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scruffydragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 15:58
I can match 85 of those albums which I have on CD format. I found it difficult to see the images as they are fairly tiny so I may have a few more.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 16:07
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

35 out of these. No Zeuhl fan here.

I counted same for me......all in vinyl format. I could careless about CDs.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acemachine26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 16:09
Originally posted by scruffydragon scruffydragon wrote:

I can match 85 of those albums which I have on CD format. I found it difficult to see the images as they are fairly tiny so I may have a few more.
Here's the hi-res image: https://ibb.co/eaqri8
click the "load full resolution" button and you'll be able to zoom in and see the album covers clearly.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 16:13

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I have 89 of these from my collection of about 1100 albums.  Quite an interesting and well rounded collection Wink
Wow nice! Is that 1100 prog albums or various genres?

By PA's definitions I'd say about:

70% of the 19 "official" prog subgenres (including my PA bands Mutiny in Jonestown (Neo) & WytchCrypt (Experimental/Post Metal))

20% Proto-Prog/Prog Related (Beatles, Black Sabbath, Procol, Queen, Jimi, Led Zep, Bowie, Blue Oyster Cult, etc)

The rest a mix of doom/death metal (Cathedral, My Dying Bride, Celtic Frost, Type O Negative, Sepultura...), goth (Christian Death, Sad Lovers & Giants, Cure...), 80's hardcore punk (Minutemen, Black Flag...), straight up "rock" (Stones, REM, Grateful Dead, Pretenders...), classical (Bach, Schoenberg...), and some other weird miscellaneous stuff LOL

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 16:18

Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Impressive. Do you happen to have any records for sale on discogs or ebay? I'm from the UK too, would be interested in any prog records you have for sale.

Periodically I do.. I certainly didn't mention it as an advertisementWinkWink but when I have to slim things down I do use Ebay.. I don't have the storage space I used to and after a couple of house moves it soon makes you realise that you've got to be realistic in keeping a sizeable collection. I was lucky in that I bought up a lot of IKEA 12 inch storage units before they stopped doing them (they might have brought them back in but in a 'chunkier' design.. im not sure..) which really help in keeping a sizeable number in a (relatively) compact space.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 17:33
Not sure but quite a few. I need a lot more. I think I'm going to take a pen and paper and write down the names of all the ones I recognize that I don't currently have. This would include several that I did have at one point but sold because I needed the money(or thought I did). Lot's of great stuff in there. 
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 18:00
I estimate around 75 for me..... It's a good selection, but also a lot of other groups and genres I don't follow, so our Venn diagram intersection would be relatively small. Nice idea to put them in a collage though, and all power to your eclectic prog tastes!

Haven't counted my vinyl, cassette, CD or download college for a while, but it has to be several thousand, judging by the amount of unticking I have to do periodically to my iPod Classic. Not all prog though. A lot of classic rock, blues, classical music and jazz too. Think I'd have been a millionaire if I hadn't spent so much on music in the past - but then again I wouldn't have been a happy one!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acemachine26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 18:19
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Not sure but quite a few. I need a lot more. I think I'm going to take a pen and paper and write down the names of all the ones I recognize that I don't currently have. This would include several that I did have at one point but sold because I needed the money(or thought I did). Lot's of great stuff in there. 
Thanks! I'm glad you're able to discover new albums through my collage.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acemachine26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 18:21
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

I estimate around 75 for me..... It's a good selection, but also a lot of other groups and genres I don't follow, so our Venn diagram intersection would be relatively small. Nice idea to put them in a collage though, and all power to your eclectic prog tastes!

Haven't counted my vinyl, cassette, CD or download college for a while, but it has to be several thousand, judging by the amount of unticking I have to do periodically to my iPod Classic. Not all prog though. A lot of classic rock, blues, classical music and jazz too. Think I'd have been a millionaire if I hadn't spent so much on music in the past - but then again I wouldn't have been a happy one!
Nice, I listen to a lot of jazz and some classical too. What kind of jazz are you into, bebop, fusion, free jazz etc?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 19:23
Hi,

Bad eyesight, so seeing some of these is a problem for me.

I did see at least 74 of those that I own, and probably more. As far as"heard", probably more since I have some radio shows recorded that include even more than I have in my collection.

It would have been a lot more if there was more of the German stuff in there, like TD, Schulze, Can, AD2, Guru Guru, EF solos, CF solos,  and such, for which you would be adding at least 120 albums more easily, and probably one of the most complete "krautrock" collection, up to and including things like Embryo and Agitation Free and derivatives!

My tastes and "collection" has always been about the music itself and the stuff I love dearly ... it has never been about the collection at all. Although I have had to replace most LP's because of the weight and me not owning a house. Still have over 1200 LP's left, and many of them are not even on CD or available on mp3 or equivalent. And most of them will never be seen or heard again, is my guess.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 20:24
I recognze about 95% of these albums, and own about 85% of them. Good collection by the way.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 22:48
I own 142 of these titles on LP. Mostly as re-issue, but many originals amongst them. That is quite a selection in your library !!

Edited by Tom Ozric - November 19 2018 at 22:48
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acemachine26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 03:18
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Bad eyesight, so seeing some of these is a problem for me.

I did see at least 74 of those that I own, and probably more. As far as"heard", probably more since I have some radio shows recorded that include even more than I have in my collection.

It would have been a lot more if there was more of the German stuff in there, like TD, Schulze, Can, AD2, Guru Guru, EF solos, CF solos,  and such, for which you would be adding at least 120 albums more easily, and probably one of the most complete "krautrock" collection, up to and including things like Embryo and Agitation Free and derivatives!

My tastes and "collection" has always been about the music itself and the stuff I love dearly ... it has never been about the collection at all. Although I have had to replace most LP's because of the weight and me not owning a house. Still have over 1200 LP's left, and many of them are not even on CD or available on mp3 or equivalent. And most of them will never be seen or heard again, is my guess.
I love German stuff like Krautrock, Progressive Electronic etc, just chose not to add those in my list. Actually had the opportunity to see Can and Faust live. Sad to hear that your LPs are not getting any spins. I bet you have an impressive record collection. Maybe you could sell a few on discogs or Ebay so that someone out there could appreciate these hidden gems. They must be worth a pretty penny if they're so obscure that they're not available on CD or digitally.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acemachine26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 03:32
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I recognze about 95% of these albums, and own about 85% of them. Good collection by the way.
Thanks, glad to be a part of a community that share a similar taste in music.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>