Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Collaborators' Top Albums of 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2022 at 17:33
Here's my (first ever) list and how it matches up:

1. Malady - Ainavihantaa (t-11)
2. The Neal Morse Band - Innocence & Danger (t-45)
3. Ske - Insolubilia (3) --- perfect match Wink
4. Caligonaut - Magnified as Giants (7)
5. Agusa - En annan värld (15)
6. Konom - Konom (t-110)
7. Jack o' the Clock - Leaving California (t-74)
8. Transatlantic - The Absolute Universe (t-19)
9. Turbulence - Frontal (t-145)
10. Leprous - Aphelion (16)
11. Krokofant - Fifth (24)
12. A.C.T - Heatwave (t-173)
13. Steve Hackett - Surrender of Silence (t-47)
14. Dave Bainbridge - To the Far Away (t-32)
15. Tillison Reingold Tiranti - Allium: Una Storia (t-153)
16. Motorpsycho - Kingdom of Oblivion (t-72)
17. Syndone - Kama Sutra (t-216)
18. Jordsjø - Pastoralia (6)
19. Shamblemaths - Shamblemaths 2 (1)
20. Giant Sky - Giant Sky (t-83)
-------------------------------------------
21. Big Big Train - Common Ground (10)
22. black midi - Cavalcade (2)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2022 at 19:04
Great job Ian, as usual!! ClapClap. A very eclectic list this year which is very cool, not one like this I remember in the past. Some great stuff I'll have to give a listen to soon.......
This might be the first time I did not give Steven Wilson a vote, poor fellow LOL. I do like TFB.....

Here is my submitted list and position, I did ok considering the eclectic flavor of the list:

1. Styx-Crash Of the Crown (#50t)
2. Iron Maiden-Senjutsu (#98t)
3. Liquid Tension Experiment-LTE 3 (#38t)
4. Robert Plant and Alison Krauss-Raise the Roof (#110t)
5. Transatlantic-The Absolute Universe (#19t)
6. Chain Reaktor-Homesick (#126t)
7. Lifesigns-Altitude (#32t)
8. Leprous-Aphelion (#16)
9. Giant Sky-s/t (#22t)
10. This Winter Machine-Kites (#153t)

Edited by Catcher10 - March 08 2022 at 19:13
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2022 at 19:18
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Great work, Ian. Thanks! Clap Nice to be on the list, and representing the Prog Electronic genre with Kosmogon, thanks to everyone who voted for my album Beer

I don't think I had that many albums on the top 50 before:
1. Ske - Insolubilia (3)
2. Kosmogon - Mässan (35)
3. elephant9 - Arrival of the New Elders (8)
4. Malady - Ainavihantaa (11)
5. Ulrich Schnauss & Jonas Munk - Eight Fragments of an Illusion
6. Perilymph - Tout en Haut
7. Ciccada - Harvest (14)
8. Daudane - Colchique
9. Camera - Prosthuman
10. Trees Speak - PostHuman
11. Javier Miranda - Strange Imperfection
12. Steven Wilson - The Future Bites (35)
13. Alco Frisbass - Le Mystère du Gué Pucelle (9)
14. 10000 Russos - Superinertia
15. Lichtpyramide - Lichtpyramide 2
16. Needlepoint - Walking up that Valley (4)
17. Omie Wise - Wind and Blue
18. Gondhawa - Käampâla
19. Unaka Prong - Kudzu
20. Agusa - En Annan Varld (15)

It's funny, I had the first Shamblemaths album on my list that year, but the new one didn't do anything for me.

Hi Sam....hope your well!

Which 5 out of your list should I take a listen to? 
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2022 at 19:40
Originally posted by projeKct projeKct wrote:

Here's my (first ever) list and how it matches up:

1. Malady - Ainavihantaa (t-11)
2. The Neal Morse Band - Innocence & Danger (t-45)
3. Ske - Insolubilia (3) --- perfect match Wink
4. Caligonaut - Magnified as Giants (7)
5. Agusa - En annan värld (15)
6. Konom - Konom (t-110)
7. Jack o' the Clock - Leaving California (t-74)
8. Transatlantic - The Absolute Universe (t-19)
9. Turbulence - Frontal (t-145)
10. Leprous - Aphelion (16)
11. Krokofant - Fifth (24)
12. A.C.T - Heatwave (t-173)
13. Steve Hackett - Surrender of Silence (t-47)
14. Dave Bainbridge - To the Far Away (t-32)
15. Tillison Reingold Tiranti - Allium: Una Storia (t-153)
16. Motorpsycho - Kingdom of Oblivion (t-72)
18. Jordsjø - Pastoralia (6)
19. Shamblemaths - Shamblemaths 2 (1)
20. Giant Sky - Giant Sky (t-83)
-------------------------------------------
21. Big Big Train - Common Ground (10)
22. black midi - Cavalcade (2)

I'm glad that Kama Sutra made it on to ONE person's list—phenomenal album.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2022 at 19:59
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Thank you Ian
Just looking through the list (and other members’ lists), I see loads of music to dive into.
That is also my favourite thing about this recurring “competition”: finding new music.

Completely agree David, in fact I've been going through the 2018 to 2021 with a fine tooth comb the last cople of months.
Thankyou very much Ian for all your time once again.Clap
I did yell out a couple of times when I saw the winner. I scrolled down slowly hoping Shamblemaths pulled it off and they did.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2022 at 20:34
Originally posted by tempest_77 tempest_77 wrote:

Yes... It appears I'm the only one... Cry
DarkLizzard View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkLizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2022 at 01:45
Thanks for compiling this list, I always tremendously enjoy these lists.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2022 at 04:47
Good work everyone. I obviously have some catching up to do, but nice to see Lifesigns and Dave Bainbridge together, as well as Frost*. I think they're about the only ones I've got!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2022 at 05:14
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Thank you Ian
Just looking through the list (and other members’ lists), I see loads of music to dive into.
That is also my favourite thing about this recurring “competition”: finding new music.

Completely agree David, in fact I've been going through the 2018 to 2021 with a fine tooth comb the last cople of months.
I did yell out a couple of times when I saw the winner. I scrolled down slowly hoping Shamblemaths pulled it off and they did.

Hi John
I’ve been dipping my toes into the 2021 releases somewhat slowly over the past year but ultimately have a lit of catching up to do. I bought a lot of jazz, 80s and electronic music last year…which kinda outweighed the lack of newer releases.
I have yet to hear the new Shalblemaths but thoroughly enjoyed the debut. It’ll probably be on my next cd-order methinks.
Did you catch the new collab between Richard Dawson and Finnish shamanistic rockers Circle? I know folk isn’t exactly your most favourite thing…but you may find yourself digging the overt Krautrock vibes
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2022 at 08:06
2021 was awesome!!! And 2022 is shaping up to be another terrific year for Prog!!!
The Prog Corner
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2022 at 10:17

Originally posted by tempest_77 tempest_77 wrote:

Yes... It appears I'm the only one... Cry

Such a shame—it really is underrated.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2022 at 03:43
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Hi José! I'm fine, how are you?

I think it's my list with the most Electronic and Psych Rock albums, it's a tough choice knowing a bit your tastes. I'd say Omie Wise (atmospheric pop rock with some folk influences), Elephant9 (sounds like classic Fusion with an interesting production), Malady and Agusa for classic Prog vibes and I'd recommend anyone to check out Ske Wink

This might be the first time I did not give Steven Wilson a vote, poor fellow LOL. I do like TFB.....
Ha, It was the first time I gave him a vote. I prefer it over TTB and HCE wasn't even in my top 30.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2022 at 08:03
Hi,

Wow ... I have some serious listening to do!

Some nice stuff and here are some one word comments, though not a review.

- Diagonal - 4 // Very nice, a bit more rock than their previous (Arc) which was softer but just as pretty.
- Steve Hackett //Nice. Though I have been listening to him almost 50 years, and would rather concentrate on something else at this time. Not sure it is as strong as his best, though.
- NMB // I find them over rated and while it has nice moments, this is not for me.
- LTE // Nice. Rhapsody in Blue by itself is worth it. Nice version, too!
- PTH // It's fine. I might listen to it again. Something doesn't click.
- Dave B // Nice, although it gives me memories of many early Yes days, and a couple of other early bands. Very strong on the guitar.
- Mostly Autumn // Nice album and some great vocals
- SW // There are too many things in these lists I would rather listen to.
- Sylvan // Nice
- Rachel Flowers // Super duper. Reviewed.
- Transatlantic //Over rated for me, and not as enjoyable as I keep thinking those folks should do way better than just a nothing nothing.
- Agusa // Outstanding album all the way through even though it's just 2 cuts ... but they are awesome.

I'm putting my ears to some of the things I don't know. But great stuff ... and we should do this for one of the 80's and I bet that many folks would say that progressive/prog did not die one more time! Music never dies. We do!

Edited by moshkito - March 26 2022 at 22:47
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2022 at 09:15
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Hi José! I'm fine, how are you?

I think it's my list with the most Electronic and Psych Rock albums, it's a tough choice knowing a bit your tastes. I'd say Omie Wise (atmospheric pop rock with some folk influences), Elephant9 (sounds like classic Fusion with an interesting production), Malady and Agusa for classic Prog vibes and I'd recommend anyone to check out Ske Wink

Ha, It was the first time I gave him a vote. I prefer it over TTB and HCE wasn't even in my top 30.

Thanks Sam!
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2022 at 17:30

Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Thank you Ian

Hi John
I’ve been dipping my toes into the 2021 releases somewhat slowly over the past year but ultimately have a lit of catching up to do. I bought a lot of jazz, 80s and electronic music last year…which kinda outweighed the lack of newer releases.
I have yet to hear the new Shalblemaths but thoroughly enjoyed the debut. It’ll probably be on my next cd-order methinks.
Did you catch the new collab between Richard Dawson and Finnish shamanistic rockers Circle? I know folk isn’t exactly your most favourite thing…but you may find yourself digging the overt Krautrock vibes

Thanks Bamsen for the rec, I love me some Circle. Man I've spent too much money over the last couple of months but I'm pretty happy with the about ten per year I purchased from 2018 to 2021. Yeah 40 cds, now I can sit back and enjoy and try to find the ones I wasn't able to get. 
The last several years I've been doing what you have done, buying older stuff I discovered but man I just feel done searching for older music now, I'm quite content and getting maybe ten per year in the future isn't a bad thing.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2022 at 00:32
^I can dig it John. I go through different phases every year and what I consequentially buy is often very much dependant on these…which is why the past few years I’ve been somewhat out of the loop with regards to PA’s annual jig. I’ve been shooting buckshots at everything - jazz, electronic, pork, metal, post-punk, folk and funk.

Anyhoo I still have lots of albums to get down the line…but am also very much happy with my current collection
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2022 at 04:48
Thanks for the great work! More albums to check out. I also appreciate those posting their personal lists with albums that didn't make the final list.

Another strong year from Norway with five albums in the top eight, including the winner.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2022 at 10:20
I'm so glad black midi got the nod for number 2 and in general, I'm very happy with the results of this year. Big congrats to Shamblemaths for getting the title. Cavalcade has been my AOTY since it dropped and I'm so excited for their third album dropping (very very likely) this year. Happy to see L.W. by King Gizz make the list too, I have a very soft spot for that album, it's kinda like my go-to defacto album for when I just need 40 minutes of great, complex psychedelic rock.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2022 at 10:33
^ Nice to see you, Doug! You’ve been missed.

I really struggled when it came to making my list, let alone ranking it. When push came to shove, and we reached the deadline, this was the top 20 I submitted:

black midi - Cavalcade
2 Papangu - Holoceno
3 Nodo Gordiano - H.E.X.
4 Ángel Ontalva - Angel on a Tower
5 VOLA - Witness
6 The Vicious Head Society - Extinction Level Event
7 Alex Ward - Gated
8 Detieti - Serious IV
9 NichelOdean - Incidenti
10 Kurushimi - Chaos Remains

11 Mission Jupiter - Talk to Me
12 Confusion Field - Disconnection Complete
13 Shiva the Desructor - Find the Others
14 Laughing Stock - Zero, Acts 1&2
15 Echoes and Signals - Mercurial 
16 Molybaron - Mutiny
17 Grey Mouse - Moment of Weakness
18 Compassionizer - Ambassador in Bonds
19 Mythopoeic Mind - Hatchling
20 Ætheria Conscientia - Corrupted Pillars

As I posted with my submission at the time, the ranking was arbitrary, as it could and did easily change from day to day, as I was trying to make the list. As did what was included and what was not. Am I happy with it now? Probably not, but I had to submit something.

Truth be told, my overall favourites from 2021 would look very different, as so many of my most favourite and most played albums from last year are from bands and artists that are not on PA.  Some probably might make it onto PA, if they were submitted for evaluation, but a lot would have no place here, I guess.

2021, like 2020 before it, was a great year for music for me - but a lot of what I enjoyed wasn’t PA material.

I still have quite a lot of albums on the lists of other collaborators in my “to listen to” list, so there’s potential for my favourites from 2021 to change even more, given how much I have not yet heard.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2022 at 13:57
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

^ Nice to see you, Doug! You’ve been missed.

I really struggled when it came to making my list, let alone ranking it. When push came to shove, and we reached the deadline, this was the top 20 I submitted:

black midi - Cavalcade
2 Papangu - Holoceno
3 Nodo Gordiano - H.E.X.
4 Ángel Ontalva - Angel on a Tower
5 VOLA - Witness
6 The Vicious Head Society - Extinction Level Event
7 Alex Ward - Gated
8 Detieti - Serious IV
9 NichelOdean - Incidenti
10 Kurushimi - Chaos Remains

11 Mission Jupiter - Talk to Me
12 Confusion Field - Disconnection Complete
13 Shiva the Desructor - Find the Others
14 Laughing Stock - Zero, Acts 1&2
15 Echoes and Signals - Mercurial 
16 Molybaron - Mutiny
17 Grey Mouse - Moment of Weakness
18 Compassionizer - Ambassador in Bonds
19 Mythopoeic Mind - Hatchling
20 Ætheria Conscientia - Corrupted Pillars

As I posted with my submission at the time, the ranking was arbitrary, as it could and did easily change from day to day, as I was trying to make the list. As did what was included and what was not. Am I happy with it now? Probably not, but I had to submit something.

Truth be told, my overall favourites from 2021 would look very different, as so many of my most favourite and most played albums from last year are from bands and artists that are not on PA.  Some probably might make it onto PA, if they were submitted for evaluation, but a lot would have no place here, I guess.

2021, like 2020 before it, was a great year for music for me - but a lot of what I enjoyed wasn’t PA material.

I still have quite a lot of albums on the lists of other collaborators in my “to listen to” list, so there’s potential for my favourites from 2021 to change even more, given how much I have not yet heard.

I had 3 in my list that were not normal "PA material", including my #1 and #2....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>