Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Big Six - of the 80s?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 13:39
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

The simplest answer: There's no such thing - for a reason.

There was a Big Four of Thrash Metal in the 1980's. But not in the 1990's. Same thing here.

I suppose U2, Simple Minds and Big Country were the 'Big 3' of.. well i'm not sure actually.. big, overblown, stadium-pomp- rock in the 80's?? U2 certainly openly decried any perceived 'prog' influences.. Simple Minds and Big Country perhaps more open minded to a degree.. i cant stand U2 but have a soft spot for the Scots contingent..

Actually (briefly) Runrig were quite big..

Apart from the UK NWOBPR at the start of the 80's, Marillion were the only big venue fillers.. Rush, Zappa..

It was mostly padded shoulder jackets with sleeves rolled up and bad mulletsWink 

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 13:59
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Possibly a slight case for Pallas - IQ and Twelfth Night by a long stretch...

Apart from Marillion, I don't think any of these other bands made a dent Stateside...(US readers may want to correct me...)
I couldn't even name half a dozen American Neo Prog bands. The only two that come to mind are Echolyn and Spock's Beard, neither of whom were around in the 1980's. Ermm

I have to be honest though..... I didn't buy my first Neo Prog album until earlier this year when I bought three albums by Marillion, even though I wasn't a big fan of theirs back in the 1980's Embarrassed 

American neo-prog is rare, neo-prog was a European thing, mostly British at first.  

Echolyn and Spock's Beard are not neo-prog bands. 

You may be interested to know I just Googled Neo Prog bands, and as predicted, Echolyn and Spock's Beard were right there at the top of the page, so there you go. Big smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 14:08

Apart from Marillion, I don't think any of these other bands made a dent Stateside...(US readers may want to correct me...)
I couldn't even name half a dozen American Neo Prog bands. The only two that come to mind are Echolyn and Spock's Beard, neither of whom were around in the 1980's. Ermm

I have to be honest though..... I didn't buy my first Neo Prog album until earlier this year when I bought three albums by Marillion, even though I wasn't a big fan of theirs back in the 1980's Embarrassed 

American neo-prog is rare, neo-prog was a European thing, mostly British at first.  

You may be interested to know I just Googled Neo Prog bands, and as predicted, Echolyn and Spock's Beard were right there at the top of the page, so there you go. Big smile

It's funny that you are on the forum of one of the best prog sites, and you google about what "neo-prog' is. kinda insulting if you ask me. Also disrespectful to all users, collabs and admins that contributed to the PA database. 

Also i don't need to google "neo-prog", I've been listening to this genre since the 90s. And Spock's Beard and Echolyn are not that. 

No offense, find some better resources. If you cannot, PA should be more than enough. 
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 14:33

Paul, neither band play Neo. There really aren't many US Neo bands around, but if you want to hear one, play some tracks from Iluvatar: Children on Yt. Personally, I think it's an excellent album, and you'll hear the difference. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 15:04
80s big six? No order here:

Marillion
Alan Parsons Project
Rush
Kate Bush
Asia
Saga

I wanted to include a band called Zebra but even though they headlined Rosfest one year I think they just miss the mark as far as prog content goes (despite the fact that "who's behind the door" is pure symph prog ecstasy). The same thing goes for Triumph. Both bands were really more hard rock/ semi heavy metal overall though. Asia kind of miss the mark too technically speaking but are included because of who was in the band more than anything else and as such have strong prog ties.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 14 2022 at 15:13
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 15:28
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

The simplest answer: There's no such thing - for a reason.

There was a Big Four of Thrash Metal in the 1980's. But not in the 1990's. Same thing here.

I suppose U2, Simple Minds and Big Country were the 'Big 3' of.. well i'm not sure actually.. big, overblown, stadium-pomp- rock in the 80's?? U2 certainly openly decried any perceived 'prog' influences.. Simple Minds and Big Country perhaps more open minded to a degree.. i cant stand U2 but have a soft spot for the Scots contingent..

Actually (briefly) Runrig were quite big..

Apart from the UK NWOBPR at the start of the 80's, Marillion were the only big venue fillers.. Rush, Zappa..

It was mostly padded shoulder jackets with sleeves rolled up and bad mulletsWink

There's probably a big four, five or six 1980's Stadium Rock, New Romantics, Synth Pop, Sophistipop, Hair Metal, Post Punk, Indie, Art Pop, Italo Pop etc... but an 80's Big Six of prog rock feels absurd to me. Prog wasn't really Alive and Kicking in that decade, and about as relevant as... Be Bop.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2022 at 23:55
Not sure, if we are talking of the 70's classics that kept on strong, I guess Genesis, Yes, Asia, Rush, Pink Floyd, and Peter Gabriel... not sure King Crimson remained that stron. If we are talking of the new blood, I actually don't know many of those bands, but usually there's 4 big Neo Prog bands that I have heard about, being Marillion, IQ, and I think it was also Pallas and Pendragon. And I guess the two big prog metal pioneers, Fates Warning and Queensryche.
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2022 at 00:10
This is gonna be a giant mess of different prog genres, but mine would go (in no particular order):

Rush (the only 70s band who arguably hit their peak in the 80s, in my opinion)
Queensryche
Marillion 
Fates Warning
IQ
Saga (mostly for helping keep the commercial viability of prog alive outside of the UK)

I was also highly tempted to add King's X; they're considered prog-related on here, but they had a massive impact on prog metal going forward. So consider them the unofficial seventh entry on my list Smile

Edited by Necrotica - September 15 2022 at 00:13
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2022 at 02:18
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Paul, neither band play Neo. There really aren't many US Neo bands around, but if you want to hear one, play some tracks from Iluvatar: Children on Yt. Personally, I think it's an excellent album, and you'll hear the difference. 
Maybe we need a thread titled "How to Define and Classify Neo Prog". Then again, maybe we don't. Tongue
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2022 at 03:30
My 80's 'Big Six'

Rush
Marillion
Genesis
King Crimson
It Bites
Kate Bush
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2022 at 03:32
neo-prog was also "big" in Japan during the 80's - though I'm not sure most of these bands travelled the planet before the 90's. 

It bites is considered proggy (not by me), and they sold a fair bit.

Neither Canada (I don't think most of anybody even knew of the existence of the other 5).
I saw Marillion in Toronto only on the Straws tour (which became the Magpie live album)... not aware they came to town before (and I was checking them out since Script's release)
At least I certainly didn't of IQ & Co..... mind you, I was into JR/F and Modal Jazz art the time (still am today), so it's not like I was paying much attention to others.

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Discounting the original Big 6

Marillion
Cardiacs
Univers Zero
IQ
Dead Can Dance
Art Zoyd

Interesting list, but when you know that UZ only played some 35 gigs in their first life (75 to 86)... Wink

not sure I would count DCD as "prog" in the 80's either. 

Edited by Sean Trane - September 15 2022 at 03:37
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2022 at 03:39
As far as my personal experience went, in order of importance to me, I'd say:

Rush
Marillion
Yes (Still, just about)
Alan Parsons
Barclay James Harvest
Queensryche (from 1986 onwards)

Honourable mentions:

Jethro Tull (ironically, I was more engaged with their 80's output than their 70's at the time)
Hawkwind (an on and off affair)
Kansas (still listened to their early 80's AOR output)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2022 at 04:43
Rush
Iron Maiden (their 'trilogy' of prog releases came out in this decade)
Marillion
Kate Bush (professed that a big influcence on her was prog through her brothers)
Peter Gabriel
Tangerine Dream (1980-1987 mainly)

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2022 at 06:02

But what about the 80s? My starter for ten is that Genesis, Yes, Jethro Tull, King Crimson and Pink Floyd maintained their positions.  So, who replaces ELP who officially split up in 1979?  I would suggest Marillion.  A complicating factor is the relative success of those members of the Big Six who since went solo - Gabriel and Hackett immediately spring to mind.

To begin with I'd say, Yes and Genesis were certainly popular in the 80's, but their progressivenes in that decade is very arguable. So it is concerning Pink Floyd but to a lesser degree.
Secondly, on basis of the books which are written about the Progressive Rock history, and which I mention in my OP to  How to define and classify Progressive Rock?, it is difficult to conclude anything for sure about the popularity of the Neo-Prog bands in the 80's, except the one of Marillion.
So adding as a source New Musical Express' encyclopedia Who's Who in Rock & Roll (1991) which include the best chartings of each band, plus the Danish Politikens Rockleksikon (1993), and as I see it, the only Progressive Rock Big ones in the 80's can be said to be:

Jethro Tull
Rush
Marillion
Pink Floyd

Edited by David_D - September 15 2022 at 07:27
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2022 at 06:26
I don't want to rehash the argument of what is meant by "big six," but since there is some disagreement on the meaning of what qualifies, the answers to this question are going to be variable. As long as sales and chart success are part of this equation, the "big six" following the 1970s is going to be more and more difficult to even come up with six bands. 

The 1980s were a period where many of the big prog bands transitioned their music to the changing times in the rock music industry (aiming for more radio play, shorter songs, and less of what we normally consider prog). So, Rush, Yes, Pink Floyd, and Genesis had the chart success, but what of the prog element? I would say it declined considerably and the number of albums these bands released also declined in number (except for Rush). Marillion has been brought up often in this thread, and deservedly so, but their chart success was limited to Europe. Compare that with the "big six" of the 1970s where chart success was more widespread.

I think a better definition of "big six" should probably exclude chart success and weigh more heavily on what actual prog fans find great. This is after all a prog site, and we generally poo-poo mainstream music media because our beloved genre doesn't feel like it gets its proper due. So, why should we care about sales and chart success from the rest of the music-listening population that generally doesn't even have much familiarity with our genre? Ratings on PA and RYM would be better indicators to show which bands succeeded in getting interest from actual prog fans and thus a more representative "big six" that we, as prog fans, can identify with.

So, this may be a good starting point on determining which bands could make up the "big six" of the 1980s:
https://tinyurl.com/2p98ttb9 (this is a tiny URL for the top 250 albums of the 1980s on PA)

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2022 at 07:43

Maybe we need a thread titled "How to Define and Classify Neo Prog". Then again, maybe we don't. Tongue

That would surely be interesting and exiting. Big smile

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2022 at 08:35
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

So, this may be a good starting point on determining which bands could make up the "big six" of the 1980s:
https://tinyurl.com/2p98ttb9 (this is a tiny URL for the top 250 albums of the 1980s on PA)

So Univers Zero, Eskaton, Cardiacs & Voivod are in with a shout!
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2022 at 08:43
^ Of those four, Cardiacs are closest.  Despite their excellent output, the other three are not really in contention.  I have seen Cardiacs many times but cannot recall any opportunity to see the other three (UZ played in my home town of Nottingham in 78, but only found out well after the event!)
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2022 at 09:47

The Alan Parsons Project can be considered for sure, but there's again the question what to think about it from 
the perspective of Progressive Rock, even Who's Who in Rock & Roll  did consider the band as a part of the genre.

If to approach the whole question not historically but from the perspective of today (the greatest classics from the 80's), 
my answer wouldn't be the same, but like Progaardvark a referring to the highest rated albums on RYM and PA.

Edited by David_D - September 15 2022 at 13:19
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2022 at 11:00

Echolyn and Spock's Beard both featured prominently in a Neo Prog book I read recently, even though they're not listed as such on ProgArchives. Smile

if you cannot see the difference between the sound of the bands you listed above and the sound of Echolyn and Spock's Beard, that's on you then... 
You're falling into the trap of pigeon-holing artists into only one genre when there's absolutely no reason why an artist can't be classified as both Symphonic Prog & Neo Prog at the same time, like The Flower Kings for instance, so neither of us is right or wrong. I don't want to state the obvious, but music genres are more a matter of opinion and not an exact science.  Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>