Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Simon & Garfunkel for Prog Folk?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2023 at 17:37
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

They could be proto-prog (years 1963-1971).

Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

No, they do not belong here in a Prog Folk, or in Prog Related[...]

Nor in Proto-Prog.
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2023 at 18:06
It would definitely be stretching the definition.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2023 at 18:32
First, let me just say I absolutely adore Simon & Garfunkel. Second, no, they are not prog folk. Fairport Convention, Pentangle, Steeleye Span, Strawbs...those are prog folk -- they fundamentally altered the presentation of folk music. 

S&G was merely a splendid but fairly conventional folk duo with a large studio budget. They are Bob Dylan, with the same lyrical profundity, but with vastly superior vocal accomplishment and orchestral arrangements here and there. When the song "Sounds of Silence" didn't sell, they swapped the acoustic arrangement for an electric guitar track a la His Bobness.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 00:56

^ OH interesting, thanks. I wouldn't have expected S&G to even get that far, unlike, say, contemporaries like Donovan or contemporaries and fellow countrymen like Crosby, Stills, and Nash. I'm not suggesting those, or opening up more cans of worms, just thinking of some other big names from around the same time that are out that have more merit to me (most of the 60s to 70 folk that I think of with a Prog Folk relation tends to have a psychedelic quality to me). And I think of Nick Drake as more Prog Folk related than S&G. Actually, I can see some relation with Bookends particularly, but no.

I think the slight discussion about S&G was because clearly Magna Carta inspired themselves on the duo's songwriting to compose their music.

Yes, we've considered Nick Drake (his shadow is still around - it is tempting to reassess) & Donovan.
We even looked into Gordon Lightfoot's case at one point.
With CSN&Y, then we're partly opening the can of worm to country music (as opposed to folk).

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

First, let me just say I absolutely adore Simon & Garfunkel. Second, no, they are not prog folk. Fairport Convention, Pentangle, Steeleye Span, Strawbs...those are prog folk -- they fundamentally altered the presentation of folk music. 

S&G was merely a splendid but fairly conventional folk duo with a large studio budget. They are Bob Dylan, with the same lyrical profundity, but with vastly superior vocal accomplishment and orchestral arrangements here and there. When the song "Sounds of Silence" didn't sell, they swapped the acoustic arrangement for an electric guitar track a la His Bobness.

TBH, I wonder just how much S&G are "folk" at all.
They're certainly not sounding Celtic/European folk, and I'm not sure I detect anything either from the Appalachian mountain range folk music forms (hillbilly, bluegrass, etc) and beyond: from Acadian area in New Brunswick to Cajun area in Louisiana.
To me, I'd also say that S&G are more of (a splendid, indeed) Singer/songwriter duo (even if we know only Paul Simon composed) that played acoustic guitars when needed.
I'll go on a stretch, as I'm not all that familiar with Joan Baez's catalogue, but I'd consider her more of a protest singer/songwriter with an acoustic guitar before considering her as folk artiste.

in other words, acoustic guitar =/= folk automatically

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 03:55
We are too narrow thinking in our definitions of “folk”, “prog”, and etc. 

You could make a cogent argument that the type of progressive music played by Genesis certainly in the Gabriel period was an English pastoral folk music, much of it talking about particularly English tradition.

S&G, Baez, Dylan, CSN, CSN&Y were all born of a deep Americana tradition which could also be called folk music, and much of their music, incidentally, very much influenced what we call “traditional” progressive rock artists.

In reality, music is a spectrum, and the differing types of music are themselves on a spectrum. This is one of the reasons I have such an issue with the arcane way PÅ classifies its artists, or worse, the way it rejects artists.

I wrote a review this week for a wonderful “folk rock” band from Wigan named Merry Hell, which has attracted a lot of interest. In my review, I referenced Barclay James Harvest as coming from the same Northern UK working class tradition. Guess what? It turns out the band are huge fans of BJH and acknowledge their influence.

The artists are far wiser when it comes to such matters than us.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 09:43
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

You could make a cogent argument that the type of progressive music played by Genesis certainly in the Gabriel period was an English pastoral folk music, much of it talking about particularly English tradition.

S&G, Baez, Dylan, CSN, CSN&Y were all born of a deep Americana tradition which could also be called folk music, and much of their music, incidentally, very much influenced what we call “traditional” progressive rock artists.

In reality, music is a spectrum, and the differing types of music are themselves on a spectrum. This is one of the reasons I have such an issue with the arcane way PÅ classifies its artists, or worse, the way it rejects artists.

I wrote a review this week for a wonderful “folk rock” band from Wigan named Merry Hell, which has attracted a lot of interest. In my review, I referenced Barclay James Harvest as coming from the same Northern UK working class tradition. Guess what? It turns out the band are huge fans of BJH and acknowledge their influence.

Hmm.....Interesting, I think I see your point(s). Not that it would make me think S&G are prog folk, but for me in 'Merica thinking that Genesis is more prog because they sung about English ways/traditions does have a more prog feel. So is that what y'all across the pond feel about S&G singing about 'Merica things? Or say Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder singing about the life in the US ghetto's?

I think artists could give a rats a$$ what we call their music, as long as we buy it.
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 09:46

I agree and I believe that music has no barriers therefore puts a limitation on being accurate at categorizing its style. It's been complicated for Progressive Rock websites to decide on an appropriate method of categorization for everyone.

On forums it's evident that many members not only disagree with each other, but disagree with the final decision on how a particular band is placed in a certain sub genre or possibly even being rejected.

So many members have different opinions, (which is to be expected), and being opinionated can offend other people's tastes even if you are fair about your candidnese.

My sympathies go out to people who try and create a coherent Progressive Rock website. Music has no barriers. If you've been a professional musician the whole of your life that becomes a fact merely through your decades of experience. I don't know how the administrators do it. They must be pulling their hair out trying to do the right thing. It's simply because music itself can sometimes be defying of a category and that alone triggers a lot of fans to see their favorite music represented quite differently than it commonly is on the internet. Therefore running a Progressive Rock website has got to be a difficult task
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 11:38

Well, yes, but PA has this ambiguity of being both a database and a review site. Reviews, generally, don't need - or shouldn't need - a framework or "genre justification" to exist. A database, however, needs criteria to set its rules of classification and/or of inclusion and exclusion.

When it comes to an ill-defined music genre like prog, the cataloguing of music becomes a bit hasardous. Prog is quite an ill-defined genre, in my opinion, and thus the inclusion/exclusion of bands/artists into a "prog" database becomes as hasardous, or - if you prefer - as inconsistent as it is here on PA. Here, a limited number of people decide on the inclusion or not of a band in the database, with the utterly stupid limitation of being able to tag a band (and not albums) with just one single sub-genre label. Viewed from cataloging principles this is a major, and quite awkward, limitation and flaw of the PA database, and apparently the site owner - who had the wonderful idea of creating this site and database but clearly wasn't as informed on creating databases from a cataloguing and users point of view - is not willing to adapt/update the current database to modern day standards.

Which leads maybe to the question, apart from inclusion into the database, to be able to review albums that might interest prog fans that are not necessarily present in the PA database... But this would probably need a review of policy regarding the links between the PA database and eventual reviews... which means creating a different policy regarding the PA database and the PA reviews section. I don't see that happen, at least not at short term, but it would/could be an interesting evolution of PA...

Bringing this all back to Simon & Garfunkel, I think they don't have their place in the current database, but reviews of their albums on this site could be very interesting and welcome, imho. It would need a "detachment" (or "disconnection") of the database and the review section, which would mean a complete revision of this site, so I don't see it coming...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 12:21

no thanks
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 13:04
Fantastic band but I think they don't really fit the vibe of this database. ;P
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 13:05
I've often idly wondered how the American wing of folk rock produced huge stars (Dylan, Byrds, S&G) but the British wing really didn't (Donovan is perhaps an exception), but I suppose some of those stars were more in the singer songwriter vein which obviously counted some huge acts and scored much more mass appeal.  Perhaps singer songwriter is indeed where S&G fit best but I wouldn't deny their influence on prog groups that followed them.  Great music, and proto prog might make some sense, but probably more in the vein of CSNY, Cat Stevens and their ilk

Edited by kenethlevine - May 18 2023 at 13:06
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2023 at 00:07
Traditional regional folk genres =/= the 60s counter culture folk movement, by the way. Though the usage of the term "folk" for both certainly confounds things.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2023 at 22:43
Simon and Garfunkel were very popular around the time their music was used for The Graduate. I recall being surrounded by the hippie culture in the U.S. between ages 12 to 14. Everyone seemed to praise Fairport Convention. A lot of music talk between my older sister and her hippie friends interested me.

I probably discovered Fairport Convention from being tied in with those people and I believe it was in 69' or 70'. Further into the 70s I went to Rock concerts. Typically a Folk Rock band would be first or second on the bill. Again...I'm waiting in line with my ticket and people are talking about Fairport Convention. They were always acknowledged as a superb Folk band. I cannot speak for the entire U.S. but I can speak for the city of Philadelphia, Baltimore, Maryland, New Jersey...the tri state union where most of the youth knew who Sandy Denny was....no doubt..but yet Fairport Convention went absolutely nowhere.

They were frequently played on FM radio and most people were aware of their music. Then Sandy Denny was featured on Led Zeppelin Battle Of Evermore . During that time everyone knew it was her..which future generations didn't acknowledge her on the Led Zeppelin album and assumed Robert Plant was singing the entire song .

Fairport Convention were a hot item in the eastern U.S., but that popularity didn't give them Stadium status nor did they become legendary for future generations to look them up..and why do you think that is? Because record companies and radio stations were sending signals out to every youth in America trying to keep them interested in Bob Dylan or Joni Mitchell. They financed them. It was a major investment and they wouldn't let it go.

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2023 at 23:06
RYM lists them as a mix of folk pop, folk rock, chamber folk and folk baroque but basically they were gussied up folk pop. Prog folk needs more complex arrangements, more complex time signature changes etc. This does remind me that i bought the box set years ago which features EVERY studio and live album they did during their time together. I still haven't heard some of the live albums so will have to visit those soon. Great folk act though.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2023 at 23:39
I quite love this song, and believe that it has progressive aspects to it!  However, generally speaking, I don't think S&G would fit well with this site.  

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2023 at 09:04
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

TBH, I wonder just how much S&G are "folk" at all.
They're certainly not sounding Celtic/European folk, and I'm not sure I detect anything either from the Appalachian mountain range folk music forms (hillbilly, bluegrass, etc) and beyond: from Acadian area in New Brunswick to Cajun area in Louisiana.
To me, I'd also say that S&G are more of (a splendid, indeed) Singer/songwriter duo (even if we know only Paul Simon composed) that played acoustic guitars when needed.
I'll go on a stretch, as I'm not all that familiar with Joan Baez's catalogue, but I'd consider her more of a protest singer/songwriter with an acoustic guitar before considering her as folk artiste.

in other words, acoustic guitar =/= folk automatically

Yes, Simon & Garfunkel was a folk act. They are in the same vein of folk as Dylan, Pete Seeger, Woody Guthrie and Lead Belly. In your overview of American folk you skipped over that entire aspect of folk-as-protest-music that rose from union and civil right movements which started in the late 19th century and throve in the 30s, 40s and 50s. (in fact, Joan Baez sang an old union protest song "Joe Hill", about a union organizer killed by the copper bosses in 1915, during her Woodstock performance).

Simon & Garfunkel was part of the 20th Century Folk Revival that coalesced under Seeger, Guthrie and the Weavers in the late 50s/early 60s of whom Bob Dylan was the greatest proponent, but included the Kingston Trio, Judy Collins, Gordon Lightfoot, Joan Baez, Peter, Paul & Mary, Phil Ochs and Simon & Garfunkel. 

If you listen to S & G's first album, they covered a multitude of traditional folk songs: "Last Night I had the Strangest Dream" (also sung by Johnny Cash), "Benedictus", "Peggy-O",  "Go Tell It On the Mountain", "The Times They Are a-Changin (a Dylan tune), but by the time their 2nd album Sounds of Silence was released , they had enough material to compose all their own songs (just like Bob Dylan before them). And all the songs are firmly rooted in the American Folk genre, with the addition of rock elements.

Edited by The Dark Elf - May 21 2023 at 09:05
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2023 at 13:11
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I quite love this song, and believe that it has progressive aspects to it!  However, generally speaking, I don't think S&G would fit well with this site.  

this is one of the best songs evrer made IMO, curriculum in song writing.
Boi_da_boi_124 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boi_da_boi_124 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2023 at 13:29
Definitely progressive, definitely folky, but I think the only place on PA they are welcome is Prog Related.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 13:50
If you see fit to place them in Proto related prog ..I believe it's important to acknowledge the fact that Bookends was in a world of its own. Their other albums sound nothing like Bookends. Not even close and to be specific the structure of the album compared to their others is completely opposite of what they normally were up to that point. The Boxer had the "feel" of Bookends. Short of that their other albums were part of a separation in styles.

Paul Simon's chord progressions are way more jazzy . He plays like he previously did but he adds in new vocabulary to his playing on this album. They were working with Beaver and Krause and that influenced S&G to write differently maybe more in the approach that The Beatles had where each song flowed into another and the overall affect of the album was like watching a film.

Bookends contained some tricky vocal parts and some interesting harmony. Bookends was a collection of odd songs colored with Synthesizer and Mellotron. The songs are deep although a few are also humorous. The ideas are interesting. It's more English sounding to me and at times British Psychedelic...which you all know varied with its instrumentation and its usage of electronics and Mellotron which.....that's what Simon and Garfunkel were trying to do on this album....They were a Folk Duo and they wanted to experiment with new ideas and so they recorded Bookends, but it's important to remember that they never repeated this type of approach and it only happened once.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 13:55

Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

They could be proto-prog (years 1963-1971).[/QUOTE
Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

[QUOTE=Logan] No, they do not belong here in a Prog Folk, or in Prog Related[...]
Nor in Proto-Prog.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>