Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The most successful modern prog music nation?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 16:39
I don;t know, but...

Not thinking in regards to sales, but for this millenium, I would have thought the US would surely be contender due to the wide variety of prog spectrum music being produced. It seems very robust.

Active this milleium bands/artists like Secret Chiefs 3, Kayo Dot, Swans, Tool, John Zorn, The Mars Volta, Nine Inch Nails, Agalloch, Prog Folk related people like Sufjan Stevens and Joanna Newsom.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 20:17
^I think the broad nature of prog and prog-adjacent styles of music coming out of North America cannot be understated. Diversity matters. 

If you're looking for music that sounds like classic era prog and is, conversely, not quite so adventurous or fresh (but still expertly played), I supposed Scandinavia, especially Norway. And also prog death/black metal stuff, but fresh new groups from Norway were more prominent in the 90s for those styles.

I'm more often lookin for some fresh meat as of late, so retro stuff just isn't amazing me at the moment. Just because a band uses 70s analog instruments doesn't make it automatically worth my admiration. That being said, I still think most of those bands play some great music.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 20:55
Norway...if you're talking (Prog per capita)
America's population is 65 times higher than Norway's.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 21:15
I thought it was, per capita, Liechtenstein.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 21:43
^I don't know of any prog (modern or classic) from Lichtenstein.
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 21:53
Per Capita means per person in the country. Lichtenstein has a very small population. Percentage wise, it could have one of the highest rates of prog fan to not prog fan in the world.
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 21:57
It wouldn't surprise me if Norway has the greatest prog density per capita.

But if we are just measuring by diversity, the the U.S. does cover a broad stylistic range.

On the other hand, there are 'successes' from all around the world that it would unfair to label a most successful country. I just glanced at my 2023 list, and there are artists and band members from the U.S, U.K., Canada, Norway, Taiwan, France, Sweden, Japan, among others.
Chiyo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Chiyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 22:11

To this day, it remains.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 22:18
^^With a population smaller than Minnesota, the density of relatively known progressive rock acts from Norway is probably unmatched. That's unless there's one modern, profilic prog rock act from either Liechtenstein, San Marino or Andorra...
Chiyo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Chiyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 23:02
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

^^With a population smaller than Minnesota, the density of relatively known progressive rock acts from Norway is probably unmatched. That's unless there's one modern, profilic prog rock act from either Liechtenstein, San Marino or Andorra...
What about the Big Big Train? Sure, they've been around for 34 years now; their original frontman died, so I can understand that some people might hesitate to put them in the modern cell, but they are active葉he below live video was filmed in 2022葉heir take on prog-rock music is still modern, and any Norwegian prog-rock band that is on the scene now is not even close to Big Big Train.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 23:07
back to what is a definition of prog which regularly comes round/

For technical bands easily USA and also for sales.
I don't know why UK is mentioned, the general music scene here is terrible (Ed Sheeran, Jamie Cullum, Adele) and interesting bands such as Black Midi are totally ignored. Big Big Train were beginning to have some commercial success but the pandemic killed that and even some of their members were forced to retire as a result. Ignoring commercial success then there is a good underground scene and Tull, Yes and Heep are still putting out decent albums and servicing their fan base. None of them are remotely cutting edge though.
Norway is incredible and keeps producing brilliant music. Of course a lot is so called Retro Prog that apparently is some crime to progressive music (it still counts as music though!)
Italy still produces great music thanks to it's historical importance to classical music and 2 of my favourite bands at the moment come from Brazil (Caravela Escalarte) and Spain (Psicolorama) but there are good bands everywhere as prog is quite culturally diverse. Anyway my vote is for Norway.

Chiyo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Chiyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 23:38
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Even if we throw the prog umbrella wide open, we will find modern bands in England that the Norwegians have not even come close to.

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2024 at 00:13
Originally posted by Chiyo Chiyo wrote:

What about the Big Big Train? Sure, they've been around for 34 years now; their original frontman died, so I can understand that some people might hesitate to put them in the modern cell, but they are active葉he below live video was filmed in 2022葉heir take on prog-rock music is still modern, and any Norwegian prog-rock band that is on the scene now is not even close to Big Big Train.
What about what? So your argument is that one AOR-like, not genuinely progressive band that I'm totally indifferent (or rather, I dislike their music) to is bigger than a whole national scene with myriads of active bands? An argument for UK would have to be about their vibrant Windmill-scene. And not a band you personally enjoy formed in 1990 with 23 000 monthly listeners on Spotify.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - January 09 2024 at 00:16
Chiyo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Chiyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2024 at 00:24

What about what? So your argument is that one AOR-like, not genuinely progressive band that I'm totally indifferent (or rather, I dislike their music) to is bigger than a whole national scene with myriads of active bands? An argument for UK would have to be about their vibrant Windmill-scene. And not a band you personally enjoy formed in 1990 with 23 000 monthly listeners on Spotify.
Shall we mention solo artists? Do they count, or does this thread only apply to bands?

Chiyo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Chiyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2024 at 00:48

a band you personally enjoy formed in 1990 
Alright, then something novel from England that the Norwegians can't even be comparable to:

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2024 at 00:48

Even if we throw the prog umbrella wide open, we will find modern bands in England that the Norwegians have not even come close to.

erm wtf? I just hear a lot of ambient music and a very annoying repeating video.

Yep London has a good few 'underground' bands no doubt. I'm always pleased to see young musicians having a go at least and they may eventually mature into good bands. The Norway scene is already there and has many great musicians. I don't think something like Seven Impale - Summit is even particularly derivative. That would have been my favourite album any other year but for Zopp (from Nottingham, UK)

Chiyo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Chiyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2024 at 00:53

erm wtf? I just hear a lot of ambient music and a very annoying repeating video.

Yep London has a good few 'underground' bands no doubt. I'm always pleased to see young musicians having a go at least and they may eventually mature into good bands. The Norway scene is already there and has many great musicians. I don't think something like Seven Impale - Summit is even particularly derivative. That would have been my favourite album any other year but for Zopp (from Nottingham, UK)

And in Scotland there is also a band whose quality is an unattainable dream for Norwegians.

Chiyo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Chiyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2024 at 00:58
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

The UK, obviously!
Indeed, it is still unmatchable!

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2024 at 00:58

BBT are genuinely progressive with a small 'p'. They do a lot of long form tracks with lyrics based on English history. Putting them in AOR is unfair and very inaccurate. I know them may seem 'prog lite' to many but they mean a lot to me and many others.
It's debateable as to when they became an actual band. It was Andy Poole's and Greg Spawton's project and they would use session musicians. English Electric changed that somewhat and they started properly playing as a band around 2014 and had their first proper settled line up for the albums The Underfall Yard (2009) through to 2019's The Grand Tour. That's when I see them as a proper band and not just a hobby. Does that make them modern? Yes I would say so. They have been succesful as well. Does it mean UK is the top for prog, erm no not at all. (also 2 of their members are from the good ole USA!)

Edited by richardh - January 09 2024 at 01:00
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2024 at 00:59

Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

The UK, obviously!
Indeed, it is still unmatchable!

yeo really good band but not that significant sadly
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>