Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLed Zeppelin II or III?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2005 at 12:06
Originally posted by Andrea Cortese Andrea Cortese wrote:

My fav is Led III, with that beautiful  "Friends"!!! and all that folker tracks on the second half of the album!

Ciao Andrea,

my fav is Led Zeppelin III, I find it so inspired in its semplicity, that can beat even monumetal albums like LZ II or IV...When it came out Robert Plant interview said that by writing and playing that album he felt like a whole world civilian...beautiful! That's what music shoud be able to do
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2005 at 17:30
I prefer LZ III, becasue it is more musical and parts of it are purley awe inspiring.
Harry Hood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2005 at 17:41
III is my favorite, because it shows the more sensitive side of the band. "Tangerine" is one of my favorite songs ever.
bluetailfly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2005 at 18:17
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I -  has good moments (babe I'm Gonna Leave you , Dazed and Confused, and HMMTimes) but also some real bad ones (you shook me)

II - I heard this one (along withIV) way too much in my youth , that I got sick of it and still is not able to listen to it nowadays - I find that it has not aged well either. Ramble on  is my fave.

III - my fave because the least played at parties (the acoustic tracks bothered too many partiers0 and Since I've been is my fave.

IV - unlike II , this one I re-listen to no problems nowadays but also unlike II it is a much better album, which stood the test of time. Battle Of Evermore is my fave

HOTH - Very unevem and some real throwaways on it . No Quarter is my fave

PG - just too long , too unfocused (sessions from different eras make this not a real album, IMHO! In My Time Of Dying is my fave

Pres - a rather unfocused album also but three outstanding tracks . Achille's Last Stand is my fave

ITTOD - this one is a JP Jones album, with Plant assisting. Page is nowhere! I find Coda even superior!!

Hmmm...

I -  has good moments (babe I'm Gonna Leave you , Dazed and Confused, and HMMTimes) but also some real bad ones (you shook me)

...Bad ones... ??? You Shook Me?! You mean the song where Plant plays an awesome harmonica solo, then Jones plays an incredible blues organ solo, then Page come in and blows your mind with his guitar solo? You mean that one???

HOTH - Very unevem and some real throwaways on it . No Quarter is my fave

...throwaways...??? You mean like The Song Remains the Same? The Rain Song? The Ocean? Dancing Days? Pray tell, which is the throwaway?!

PG - just too long , too unfocused (sessions from different eras make this not a real album, IMHO! In My Time Of Dying is my fave

Wow, "too long, too unfocused"? "Too long"? It is a double album, you realize. "Too unfocused": What do you want them to focus on? I think they did a pretty good job focusing on making the music excellent.

ITTOD - this one is a JP Jones album, with Plant assisting. Page is nowhere! I find Coda even superior!!

Page is nowhere? Have you heard "Caroselaramba"? Did you listen to "I'm Gonna Crawl"? What about "In the Evening"? Is that Jones playing the opening guitar riff? Plant assisting? That's so off the mark as to be a sign of dementia.

With your tin ear for Zeppelin's music, it's no wonder you prefer Coda to ITTOD.

"The red polygon's only desire / is to get to the blue triangle."
Zitro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2005 at 18:49

I prefer led zeppelin III.

My Order from best to worse:

LEd Zeppelin I : All the songs are masterpieces here, and both Dazed and Confused and How Many More Times are very proggy tunes. Babe I'm gonna leave you has probably the best acoustic arrangements and vocals in the history of rock. How Many More times has my favourite guitar solo of Jimmy Page and that beautiful eerie middle section. A+

Led Zeppelin IV : Great Rock And Roll + mild prog (stairway to heaven/battle of evermoor) A

Physical Graffitti : Lots of variety ; LEd Zeppelin's answer to the Beatles' 'White Album'. The first 3 sides are great but the last one is mediocre. A-

Led Zeppelin III : Acoustic beauty, majestic  blues song, and good rockers. Horrible closer though. A/B

House of the Holy: An album with lots of vaiety and some songs that seem influenced by Yes (the easiest to recognize is 'The song remains the Same). Rain Song and No Quarter are masterpieces. I don't like D'yer Maker. A/B

Led Zeppelin II : It has some Very good tracks (like Ramble On) , ok tracks (Thank You), and a bad one (Moby Dick ... that drum solo is extremely boring and pretentious!!) B

Presence : Achilles Last Stand is a masterpiece of hard rock and has some of the best guitar playing of Page and the last track is a long, but beautiful blues song as strong as Since I've Been Loving You with great guitar playing. The tracks on the middle are not very strong though. B-

In Throughout the Outdoor : The first half of the album is mediocre, but the second half has 3 Led Zeppelin's best songs : the keyboard driven epic Caruselambra, the melancholic yet innocent sounding 'All of My Love', and the mellotron backed blues song. B-

Coda : Throwaways with only 2 decent tracks. D 

eriksalkeld View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2005 at 19:17

LZ III

Autenticidad, actitud, pluralidad, espiritu e inteligencia, si es prog bien, si no, tambien.
Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 07:16

II ... I can't make up mind on many things Zeppelin ... but this much is clear ... my top 3 albums are

IV, then II, then I

... but even III is largely brilliant ...

"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."
dima_olkov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 07:35

NUMBER II!!!

From LZIII I like only Immigrant's Song and Since I've been loving you

PF, Genesis, KC, Yes, VdGG, GG, Camel, Jethro Tull
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 08:19

LZ II

It's the whole loose, wild rock'n'roll thing it's got going on, epitomised by "Whole Lotta Love".

Anyone who thinks the production is sub-par clearly doesn't own a 1st UK vinyl pressing of this piece of magic. It's a legendary test of the worthiness of your stereo system - when it gets intense, your speakers, amp and turntable really know about it. So do your neighbours...

zabriskiepoint View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 17:23
Zep III, a bit more calm than the previous and certainly less rocker.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 21:41
Well My favorite Zepplin song is the Immigrant song but i like 2 better overall
valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 01:44

Led Zeppelin III - favourite tracks: Since I've Been Loving You, Tangerine and Gallows Pole (the latter brilliantly done by Page and Plant on "No Quarter"). I love it's bluesy, folk themes. So in order my fav Zep albums from best to worst are:

• III
  • IV
  • I
  • II
  • Houses of the Holy
  • Presence
  • In Through The Outdoor
  • Physical Graffitti
  • Coda

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

rokmebaby View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 02:47
Nice to see so many of us share the same most excellent rock roots.  Between the two, I prefer LZ II.  I enjoy every single track from start to finish.  I bought exactly one copy of LZ III when it was first released, but I skipped around the tracks and did not fully appreciate it.  I no longer have the LZ III vinyl, but I still have my second vinyl copy plus one CD of LZ II.  Yes, LZ III has some stellar moments, and I do appreciate it more today; but my heart belongs to LZ II.  Best overall effort by the mighty Led Zeppelin in my book is LZ I.  
Where is Klaatu when you need him?
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 02:47
3..........................Immigration Song alone
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Peace Frog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2005 at 16:03

3, definitely 3, although it's very close, because 2 has Heartbreaker.

Simkim View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2005 at 17:51
I love Led Zeppelin III and Since I've Been Loving you is probably my favourite LZ song, but the second album is definitely their best, a completely perfect one. Anyways, I've got both of them.
Ultaigh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2005 at 18:02
II
It's got my favorite song of theirs, Ramble on.  III is a close second,  I just can't really stand "Hats off to (Roy) Harper".

Edited by Ultaigh
ryan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2005 at 11:42

of the two choices I Prefer L.Z. III , however I think Achilles Last Stand is probably their best song. Its pretty bitchin'.  Its got a perfect mix of orchestration and agressive rock.  It flows great, with the lyrics being part of the music, insead of the focal point with music to support it.

My gripe with lots of music it that is it made to accompany a set of words (as if what the person is saying is worth that) and alot of times you'll have a great piece of music, but its overpowered by the lyrics of a song.

-ryan
John Gargo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2005 at 11:58

RANK TIME!!! 

• Physical Graffiti
  • Presence
  • In Through the Out Door
  • Led Zeppelin I
  • Houses of the Holy
  • Led Zeppelin II
  • Led Zeppelin IV
  • Led Zeppelin III

It is my opinion that this band got better as they went along.  The first two sides of PG are just absolutely brilliant.  The second has some extra filler towards the end, but as a grand statement, it just towers over the rest of the band's output.  Presence makes the number two slot because "Achilles Last Stand" is the greatest thing they ever wrote.  In through the Out Door is underrated as hell, "Carouselambra" being an attractive experimental romp, and the entire album given the sparkling treatment (it's the best sounding of all of their albums).

As per the rest...  Zep I has some astounding songs, as does Houses of the Holy.  II is certainly rocking, but nothing really stands out as particularly extraordinary.  IV is ranked so low because of overexposure, although "Black Dog" has a MONSTER of a riff that, despite radio's best efforts, has held up extraordinarily well over the years.  III is ranked at the bottom, and although it has a sort of a mystic wonder, and "Immigrant Song" is a highlight, but I think it's the least memorable of their output.

Great band all in all... in order, the first three albums I've ranked get 5 stars, the next two get 4, and the bottom three get 3.

Genesisprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2005 at 13:03
           LZ II
Frank Zappa,Pink Floyd,Yes,Genesis,Rush,King Crimson,Jethro Tull,E.L.P,Rick Wakeman -They have one similarity-    I Love Them all !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>